Releasing Ganeti 2.2.0

Michael Hanselmann

Oct 4, 2010, 12:00:12 PM10/4/10
to gan...@googlegroups.com, Ganeti Development List
Hello

Moments ago we uploaded the final Ganeti 2.2.0 release. We consider it
production quality. The major changes are listed below, for details
please reference the NEWS file and documentation included in the
source tarball and/or at <http://docs.ganeti.org/ganeti/2.2/>. We'd
like to thank all everyone who contributed to this release.

- Many documentation updates
- Support DRBD versions of the format "a.b.c.d"
- RAPI supports many more operations (including instance migration)
- Fixed dry-run behaviour with many commands
- Job field ``lock_status`` was removed; a better way to monitor locks
is coming in 2.2.1
- Added a default iallocator setting to the cluster parameters
- Added experimental support for the LXC virtualization method
- Added support for OS parameters, which allows the installation of
instances to pass parameter to OS scripts in order to customise the
instance
- Improved job queue behaviour under load
- Implemented intra-cluster instance moves, allowing instances to be
moved between different clusters
- Self-signed certificates generated by Ganeti now use a 2048 bit RSA
key instead of 1024 bit
- Import/export now use SSL instead of SSH
- Added support for showing estimated time when exporting an instance,
see the ``ganeti-os-interface(7)`` manpage and look for
``EXP_SIZE_FD``
- Many additional bugfixes

Important change: the internal RPC mechanism between Ganeti nodes has
changed from using a home-grown http library (based on the Python base
libraries) to use the PycURL library. This requires that PycURL is
installed on nodes. Please note that on Debian/Ubuntu, PycURL is
linked against GnuTLS by default. cURL's support for GnuTLS had known
issues before cURL 7.21.0 and we recommend using the latest cURL
release or linking against OpenSSL. Most other distributions already
link PycURL and cURL against OpenSSL. The command “python -c 'import
pycurl; print pycurl.version'” can be used to determine the libraries
PycURL and cURL are linked against.

The archive is available as usual on code.google.com:
http://ganeti.googlecode.com/files/ganeti-2.2.0.tar.gz

For the Ganeti team,
Michael

Lance Albertson

Oct 4, 2010, 12:20:40 PM10/4/10
to gan...@googlegroups.com
On 10/04/2010 09:00 AM, Michael Hanselmann wrote:
> Hello
>
> Moments ago we uploaded the final Ganeti 2.2.0 release. We consider it
> production quality. The major changes are listed below, for details
> please reference the NEWS file and documentation included in the
> source tarball and/or at <http://docs.ganeti.org/ganeti/2.2/>. We'd
> like to thank all everyone who contributed to this release.

Outstanding! Are there any other known issues (other than pycurl) for
upgrading between 2.1.x and 2.2.x?

Thanks for all the hard work!

--
Lance Albertson
Systems Administrator / Architect Open Source Lab

signature.asc

Michael Hanselmann

Oct 4, 2010, 12:56:40 PM10/4/10
to gan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lance

Am 4. Oktober 2010 18:20 schrieb Lance Albertson <la...@osuosl.org>:
> On 10/04/2010 09:00 AM, Michael Hanselmann wrote:
>> Moments ago we uploaded the final Ganeti 2.2.0 release. We consider it
>> production quality. The major changes are listed below, for details
>> please reference the NEWS file and documentation included in the
>> source tarball and/or at <http://docs.ganeti.org/ganeti/2.2/>. We'd
>> like to thank all everyone who contributed to this release.
>
> Outstanding! Are there any other known issues (other than pycurl) for
> upgrading between 2.1.x and 2.2.x?

Not to our knowledge. As usual the cfgupgrade utility is used to
upgrade the configuration. As for Gentoo, I guess you can just depend
on PycURL being built with the OpenSSL USE flag (then again it's been
a long time).

Michael

Lance Albertson

Oct 4, 2010, 1:08:56 PM10/4/10
to gan...@googlegroups.com

Yup, I already adjusted that when I made the ebuilds for the RC's. I'll
be pushing out a new ebuild later today for the final release.

signature.asc