Gamaray Development Stopped

Clayton Lilly

Sep 23, 2009, 1:42:16 PM9/23/09
to Gamaray
After hearing the announcements made by Layar and Mobilizy yesterday
I've decided to stop developing Gamaray any further. I'll still
support the existing version of Gamaray as best I can, although I
would suggest applying for a Layar developer key or learning ARML.

BlackWinged

Sep 23, 2009, 2:41:24 PM9/23/09
to Gamaray
Noooo....
I´m really sad to hear this :-(
In my opinion Gamaray has a huge potential, even against those
competitors.
I hoped you would adopt the ARML format, so the content from other
platforms could be used in Gamaray.
Best wishes,
blackwinged

rouli nir

Sep 23, 2009, 2:56:25 PM9/23/09
to gam...@googlegroups.com
Those are really bad news. Gamaray was one of the innovators in the field of AR browsers, and I personally will miss it.
Clayton, if you are really determined about not developing it any longer, how about releasing it as open source?

tarotray

Sep 23, 2009, 3:58:17 PM9/23/09
to Gamaray
A total disappointment, indeed. I agree with BlackWinged & rouli nir.
There is so much great scope for something like Gamaray. But, never
mind.

Standards have to prevail and it's up to Clayton whether he wants to
put in the work to make it ARML compliant.

Anyway, I'll have to study up ARML, in any case, so it's not a major
issue. Instead of having an innovative piece of software on my hands,
with my, now completed, .Net Dimension Server, I have 2 weeks of good
experience. This I can no doubt simply apply to ARML.

I would also love it if, since Clayton has given it up, the source
could indeed be released to the community. I'm sure we can do things
with it to move it on ...and the idea of 3D models in AR being asleep
for now! Oh dear. What a shame....

On Sep 23, 8:56 pm, rouli nir <rouli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Those are really bad news. Gamaray was one of the innovators in the field of
> AR browsers, and I personally will miss it.
> Clayton, if you are really determined about not developing it any longer,
> how about releasing it as open source?

Clayton Lilly

Sep 23, 2009, 4:20:51 PM9/23/09
to Gamaray
The main competitive features Gamaray had were 3D objects and its open
http/XML architecture. Since Gamaray couldn't compete against the
other companies when it had these advantages, there's no point in
continuing now that both these features will be covered by the other
browsers.

Open source is a possibility I'm considering.

garancsi

Sep 30, 2009, 9:39:18 AM9/30/09
to Gamaray
Hi

I need to install gamaray on some new devices, and i can't find it on
market.
Is the apk file available somewhere outside market?

thanks

Clayton Lilly

Sep 30, 2009, 10:02:36 AM9/30/09
to Gamaray
I decided to put Gamaray back in the Market to make it easier for
anyone still using it.

We are still deciding what to do next, but I'll continue providing
some limited support and maybe even a few bug fixes. However, no new
features will ever be added.

garancsi

Sep 30, 2009, 10:12:34 AM9/30/09
to Gamaray
You saved the day with your quick response, thank you.

tarotray

Sep 30, 2009, 10:46:12 AM9/30/09
to Gamaray
May I take this opportunity to, humbly, ask you, once again - no beg
you - you to give the code to the community rather than to just shut
it off forever, now that you don't want to work on it, any more.

There are some of us who still love Gamaray and would be very
interested in taking it further. ARML is not going to be in general
use for some time to come and, if we had your client code, we could
probably use it to build a new Gamaray that is KML/ARML compliant, by
the time that happens.

Your work would be respected and you would always get the attribution,
since you could use a Creative Commons license, to protect it. One
thing we don't have, at the moment, is an open-source non-proprietary
flexible AR system, except for Gamaray.

The AR browser wars have begun and there are no alternatives to the
big players. IMHO We need that alternative. does anyone else on this
forum agree?

BlackWinged

Sep 30, 2009, 12:12:51 PM9/30/09
to Gamaray
yepp, here!
I´d love to give image-based object stabilisation (using SURF & FAST)
a try... I don´t think any other AR app is using this already.
But I don´t want to be too quick with suggestions - I am curious about
the authors reply : )
cheers, blackwinged