Fresh install of 3.1.5 produces Dang! Something went wrong... on (admin) login

Matthew Smyth

Oct 17, 2022, 8:21:58 PM10/17/22
to Gallery 3 Users
All,

I've just set up a new install of 3.1.5 (downloaded yesterday) and went to log in as admin, but got the Dang!

:-(
We tried really hard, but it's broken.

Talk to your Gallery administrator for help fixing this!

Unfortunately, I can't find any error messages with details in my apache logs other than the 500:
24.7.0.81 - - [17/Oct/2022:11:26:34 -0700] "POST /index.php/login/auth_ajax HTTP/1.1" 500 1884 "http://gallery.<domain>.com:81/" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.15; rv:105.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/105.0"

It doesn't throw an error when I try the login ajax in gallery3/var/logs/2022-10-17.log.php either.

I tried creating a local.php to expose more details, but it only gave information before I submitted the form, and not afterward.

To be clear, I am running it behind a firewall and am forwarding from remote port 81 on the outside NIC/IP to port 80 on the machine... it doesn't appear the URL is specifying anything around that, but I'm not a javascript expert so it's possible it is assuming the port is 80 or 443 and it's just invisible to me.

Is there another php error log I could use, or some other way to see the problem?

Thanks,

-Matthew
(and yes, I was able to get the gallery 2.3 version running, so I was soooo hopeful that this would let me move onto G3)

Michael J. Kupec

Oct 20, 2022, 5:27:48 PM10/20/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

Hi Matthew,

I’ve encountered the same thing on a VM of openSUSE Leap 42.3 with Galley 3.1.5.

There was a conversation several weeks back with an individual trying to convert his Galley 2 info to Gallery 3, however they had to have Galley 2 working for Galley 3’s upgrade feature to work.

I have a standalone system running Leap 42.3 ad Galley 2.3.2 with no issues. I was going to just bring that up on one screen and Gallery 31.5 on my ISP and just re-create everything, then saw that it is possible to have G3 import/upgrade G2 data. Original idea was to clone the hard drive and use that on the standalone box and do the upgrade.  Decided later to just do everything on my VirtualBox om my iMac, like O do everything else.

Well, I got Leap 42.3 and G2.3.2 working with exception that thumbnail creation doesn’t work (is it that important?!) . I believe it’s because I don’t have GD configured, again, who cares as G3 shouldn’t need to import thumbnails.   I next installed G3.1.5 and all went well until I went to sign in as admin and got the same message you did:

:-(

We tried really hard, but it's broken.

Talk to your Gallery administrator for help fixing this!

About as bad as a BSOD as there doesn’t seem to be anything in any log recording what fracked up!

Tried in Chrome & Safari, got same response.

I thought I saw a email about making sure that mySQLi was installed instead of MySQL. Thing is, Leap uses MariaDB as its MySQL replacement and has for quite a while. I’m going to look into seeing if that’s the issue, but I thought MarisDB was fully compatible with all flavors of MySQL, including mySQLi.

Have a great day!

Michael Kupec

michae...@verizon.net

--
WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message, click REPLY TO LIST or REPLY TO ALL so your reply goes out to everyone in the group. If you click REPLY or REPLY TO SENDER Google will *only* send your reply to the original author (not recommended).

To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gallery-3-users/135ee9ce-94ab-4b67-af18-488bbe1ce2d7n%40googlegroups.com.

J.R.

Oct 20, 2022, 6:17:48 PM10/20/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Matthew,

Congratulations on getting 2.3 running again!As for the fail message when you first tried to log-in to a new install of 3.1.5 -- please confirm that it occurred immediately upon submitting the setup form -- indicating setup did not complete -- or did the form seem to go through successfully and you only got the "Dang" message when you first tried to access the 3.1.5 site after the setup seemed to complete? Usually at that point there would be some kind of hint as to what went wrong -- even something like "Hey, wait! You have Admin credentials so we can tell you some stuff...".

It's a good guess that it is the particular configuration of you server (or how it is accessed) that is getting in the way. Since I've never had this happen to me  in the 30+ new installs of Gallery I've done I'm afraid I can't be of much help, but hopefully someone else may have more experience with something like this.

Here's something you can check: In your server Cpanel and use the phyMyAdmin app to look at the database for your 3.1.5 installation -- specifically look in the "gal_users" table. If the admin name you entered on the form is shown as a record in that table that would indicate that the setup form was accepted and the automatic setup of 3.1.5 executed as it should have.

If nothing else, maybe try doing a new install of 3.1.5 either on a different server -- one without the special configuration and firewall -- and see if that works. Or else temporarily reconfigure your server to a more "standard" configuration and see what happens.

-- J.R

Michael J. Kupec

Oct 21, 2022, 4:52:38 PM10/21/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

J.R – and others,

FWIW: I went into my VM that I have a working version of G2 and reset PHP to version 7.0.7-6.1.1 (was 5.5.14118.1) then ran the G3 installer on a fresh copy of on that web server.

It faithfully installed everything including the database and presented me with the new password for admin without a hitch.

Brought up the G3 home page and tried to log in to get the same Oops! message as I had before and as Matthew did.

Opened up the G3 database in phpMyAdmin and I see it faithfully created the admin account with the hashed password.

I wiped the G3 table out of the mySQL database, deleted the Gallery3 directory from the web server and tried with a copy of Gallery 3.0.9 but it crashes when submitting the info for the new SQL table with a HTTP Error 500. Need to delve into logs to see what died or just do another install of 3.1.5 and see why it’s not allowing you to log in with the admin account.

Have a great weekend!

Michael Kupec

michae...@verizon.net

image002.png
image004.png

Michael J. Kupec

Oct 22, 2022, 11:37:00 AM10/22/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

BTW: This was done using openSUSE Leap 42.3 – basic install with LAMP package and then upgraded PHP7.

Not certain what else needed to be installed as I always assumed it was just a generic copy of the LAMP environment.

I get time today/tomorrow, I’ll try Gallery 3.1.5 under a VM of current versions of openSUSE, Centos and Debian and see what the results are.

image001.png
image002.png

J.R.

Oct 22, 2022, 2:09:04 PM10/22/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

Thanks for the details. So, when you start Gallery 3.1.5 it seems you are saying that the "home page" comes up properly, with the thumbnails of the stored images or albums showing on the page as they should. And when you click on one of the thumbnails (without trying to log-in) that the full images comes up of the screen, right? The only thing that is *not* working is when you click on log-in and after entering the admin name and password when you click "log-in" that's when the "Darn" message appears.

This indicates that Gallery 3.15 is working fine on your server, which leads me to think think something in your server configuration is preventing/blocking the submission of your log-in credentials. If Gallery 3.1.5 was "receiving" your log-in credentials but something was going wrong,  the "Darn" message would include a line that says something like "Hey, wait, you have admin privileges. We can tell you some stuff." since your "Darn" message does not contain that, it means the log-in credentials with you "admin" -- name as registered stored in the data base  record -- is not being received.

I would suggest running the server at PHP 7.4 -- which has quite a few tweaks  and improvements compared to PHP 7.0 -- that may or may not help, but it can't hurt.

Just a reminder: if you're going to use the Gallery "g2 import" module to bring over stuff from your G2 installation into G3, both Gallery 2 and Gallery 3 must be running under PHP 5.6 or lower for the import functions to work. And, of course, Gallery version 3.0.9 will not work on anything higher than PHP 5.6

-- J.R.

Michael J. Kupec

Oct 22, 2022, 4:22:23 PM10/22/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

J.R,

No, this is on a fresh copy of 3.1.5 with no images in its database, thus when opening its home page, it just shows the empty gallery. It’s at that time, when I  try to log in as admin with the password it auto generated, it comes up with the Oops! message as listed in my 10/21 email.  Maybe that is because PHP7.0.7 that I’m running is buggy and as you said 7.4 is the preferred version.

Wasn’t aware there was a specific version of PHP that was required for the G2 to G3 import, that definitely helps a lot! J

Let me see what it the latest version of openSUSE that has PHP 5.6 and I’ll load that, get my Gallery2 to work under it then, do a fresh install of Galley 3.1.5 in the same browser (in its own directory, naturally) and see how the import works.

My intent here is to successfully get all the G2 info imported into a fresh install of G3 on a VM here at home.  Then hopefully back up the G3 and upload it to a working Gallery 3.1.5 on my ISP server.

image001.png
image002.png

J.R.

Oct 23, 2022, 12:33:42 PM10/23/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

Right, I realized after I sent the question that of course a fresh install would have no pictures on the "home page" -- but the fact that it shows up, with the "log-in" link visible and when using that the Oops messages appears means the same with or without pictures: Gallery 3.1.5 installed successfully. So the problem seems to be strictly related to the log-in credentials not being received/accepted by Gallery when you enter them and click "log-in" to submit them. One thought:

During set-up I would take a pass on auto-generating the password and simply enter one you create yourself (and write down on paper before entering it in the set-up form).

Also, on the set-up form, double check that besides the "admin" name & password that the actual name of the database, its user name and password are also correct.

-- J.R.

Michael J. Kupec

Oct 23, 2022, 2:55:34 PM10/23/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

Went into my archives of old openSUSE and found that Leap 15.2 was earliest version that used PHP 7.4 (actually 7.4.6).  I figure keep versions as early as possible so Gallery 2 (g2) still works.

Good news is, setting up Gallery 3 works! In G3.1.5, you have two things to do:

Create the database:

And the success page with the new gallery admin password shown:

I was able to click on the “Start Using Galley” and was able to successfully login with the auto generated password. J

A successful login!

Sadly, G2 has issues…

First when creating the G2 database, if all recall with G2, you have to create the actual empty database and name it “gallery2” as seen below in phpMyAdmin:

It’s just an empty database at this time.  Next In the G2 setup, you enter the necessary credentials for the database:

This is where it gets messy – when you save to create the database, you get this error:

Fatal error: 'break' not in the 'loop' or 'switch' context in /srv/www/htdocs/gallery2/lib/adodb/adodb-time.inc.php on line 1009

I went into adodb-time-inc.php and just remarked out the condition for checking for proper PHP rev.  (I just want this stinking thing to install!!!)

function adodb_tz_offset($gmt,$isphp5)

{

                                $zhrs = abs($gmt)/3600;

                                $hrs = floor($zhrs);

/*           if ($isphp5)  */

        return sprintf('%s%02d%02d',($gmt<=0)?'+':'-',floor($zhrs),($zhrs-$hrs)*60);

/*           else

        return sprintf('%s%02d%02d',($gmt<0)?'+':'-',floor($zhrs),($zhrs-$hrs)*60);

                                break;  */

}

FYI: The value for $isphp5 is  defined elsewhere and changing it to “7” doesn’t work.

                $isphp5 = PHP_VERSION >= 5;

So with that corrected, the saving of G2 database works.

Of course there’s a couple warnings that after next step, it looks like I need to see what’s up, but ;lets proceed anyway!

I click Continue to proceed:

Next step is creating the admin account with password which I do:

That was successful so I go to step 7, the creation and saving of the config file.

That was successful and so I go to step 8…   where all goes to h#!! in a handbasket… L

It’s a huge amount of errors trying to install the core with final one being:

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function getId() on null in /srv/www/htdocs/gallery2/modules/core/classes/helpers/GalleryEntityHelper_simple.class:79 Stack trace: #0 /srv/www/htdocs/gallery2/modules/core/classes/GalleryCoreApi.class(2361): GalleryEntityHelper_simple::loadEntitiesById() #1 /srv/www/htdocs/gallery2/modules/core/classes/helpers/GalleryPermissionHelper_advanced.class(87): GalleryCoreApi::loadEntitiesById() #2 /srv/www/htdocs/gallery2/modules/core/classes/helpers/GalleryPermissionHelper_advanced.class(66): GalleryPermissionHelper_advanced::_postGroupEvent() #3 /srv/www/htdocs/gallery2/modules/core/classes/GalleryCoreApi.class(788): GalleryPermissionHelper_advanced::addGroupPermission() #4 /srv/www/htdocs/gallery2/modules/core/CoreModuleExtras.inc(3281): GalleryCoreApi::addGroupPermission() #5 /srv/www/htdocs/gallery2/modules/core/CoreModuleExtras.inc(353): CoreModuleExtras::_createRootAlbumItem() #6 /srv/www/htdocs/gallery2/modules/core/module.inc(486): CoreModuleExtras::upgrade() #7 /srv/www/htd in /srv/www/htdocs/gallery2/modules/core/classes/helpers/GalleryEntityHelper_simple.class on line 79

Not sure if it’s because I’m using PHP 7.4.6 where I should be using just 7.4 or what’s going on.

I’m suspecting G2 has to be installed with an earlier PHP version like 5.x or 6.x where all will play well, then upgrade PHP to 7.4 so Galley 3 can be installed.

I’ll give that a try later today or this week. Since G2 plays well with Leap 42.3 and its associated PHP version, maybe install it n that then upgrade to 7.4.x so G3 will install and I hopefully can run the G2 to G3 importer.

Cheers!

image001.png
image025.png
image002.png
image004.png
image006.png
image011.png
image013.png
image015.png
image022.png
image023.png

J.R.

Oct 23, 2022, 8:04:03 PM10/23/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

Congratulations on getting Gallery 3.1.5 up and running! As for using the "g2 import" module, it sounds to me like once you got your G3 running that you did not reset your server back to PHP 5.6 -- note that Gallery version 3.1.5 will install and run under PHP 5.6 just fine (you can even just keep the now-working 3.1.5 installation and simply set the server back to PHP 5.6 and it should keep working But for the g2 import module to work, the Gallery 2 installation simply *must* be accessible on the *same* server running PHP 5.6 when you try to use do the import.

That's still no guarantee... people have varying degrees of success (and frustration) with the import module. It seems to depend a lot of how far your G2 installation is from the out-of-the-box standard. But the bottom line is that  if both G3 v.3.1.5 and G2 are not running on the same PHP 5.6 server there is no way the import module is going to work.

In case you have not found it, the original instructions for using the g2 import module are still  available at:

http://codex.galleryproject.org/Gallery3:Modules:g2_import.html

...and you should search around this group's website as there are several message threads with posts by people who have been through the import wringer already.

Also, the old "gallery project" forums are still accessible, although nobody has been allowed to post to them for over 10 years now there is still plenty of information there. Unfortunately there is no longer an option to log-in or to "search" the forums, so digging specific info out of it can be time-consuming (but you do discover lots of interesting stuff during the process). I did manage to find one forum thread about the g2 import module there:

http://galleryproject.org/node/89072.html

The main page for all of the forum 'archives' is

http://galleryproject.org/forum.html

... I really wish there was a way of searching it.

-- J.R.

Matthew Smyth

Oct 23, 2022, 8:18:12 PM10/23/22
to Gallery 3 Users
JR,

Actually, setup went fine and the problem was afterward... I had the empty Gallery3 installation, the main page came up, and yet when I went to log in as the new Admin, I got the Dang.  Because I can't log in as admin, I can't get the "Hey, wait!" -- and what is logged to the (known to me) disk locations are empty of issues.

I double-checked and have mysqli installed, and it's clear the setup worked because I have the new admin login showing there:
Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 4.21.34 PM.png

Oh, hey there!  So I pulled out the javascript console and may have found a treasure...
Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 4.29.55 PM.png
I had been using my other machine under the same domain name (port 80) and logged in there... but it looks like Gallery3 is trying to be smart and not collide with two accounts.  This is not a great way to deal with cookies, since it will cause issues with same-domain installs... but who am I to complain when it at least is giving clear messaging?  Clearing cookies means... I get a new error message in gallery3/var/logs/

"
2022-10-23 23:46:24 +00:00 --- error: Kohana_Exception [ 403 ]: @todo FORBIDDEN
/var/www/gallery3-3.1.5/modules/gallery/helpers/access.php [ 202 ]
#0 /var/www/gallery3-3.1.5/modules/gallery/helpers/access.php(425): access_Core::forbidden()
#1 /var/www/gallery3-3.1.5/modules/gallery/controllers/login.php(52): access_Core::verify_csrf()
#2 [internal function]: Login_Controller->auth_html()
#3 /var/www/gallery3-3.1.5/system/core/Kohana.php(302): ReflectionMethod->invokeArgs(Object(Login_Controller), Array)
#4 /var/www/gallery3-3.1.5/system/core/Event.php(208): Kohana_Core::instance(NULL)
#5 /var/www/gallery3-3.1.5/application/Bootstrap.php(67): Event_Core::run('system.execute')
#6 /var/www/gallery3-3.1.5/index.php(124): require('/var/www/galler...')
#7 {main}
2022-10-23 23:46:24 +00:00 --- error: Missing messages entry kohana/core.errors.403 for message kohana/core
"

Not that much clearer, but it does maybe give more detail?  Or maybe the existing cookie message was a distraction and not the actual issue?

-Matthew

Michael J. Kupec

Oct 24, 2022, 9:58:45 PM10/24/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

J.R,

If I understand then, I just need to have G3 running and able to allow the admin account to log in, then maybe do a test of creating an album and adding some pictures. J

If that all works, then I just need read up on the importing of G2 data to G3 and I hopefully should be good to go.  Better than rebuilding all those albums and adding images!

Yes, the G2 and G3 are on the same server, each in their own directory (G2 in /srv/www/htdocs/gallery2 and G3 in /srv/www/htdocs/gallery3), and both usng the same database with their data in separate tables(?), well, I can see both when I open phpMyAdmn.

It sounds like G2 doesn’t need to actually run, just G3 needs access to G2’s directories and database.

If G2 has o run on the same server as G3, then I’ll need to do more work to find a version of openSUSE (or another Linux distro) that allows G2 and G3 to both work with PHP 5.6.  Oh fun, fun, fun…

If you recall, about a month back, I offered to help straighten out the old site info.  Would be nice to see how the old forms could  be imported into a new read and searchable forms environment for folks to use. Need to set aside time to chat with you about it and see what improvements can be done on the site to make more friendly.

image001.png
image010.png
image002.png
image003.png
image004.png
image005.png
image006.png
image007.png
image008.png
image009.png

J.R.

Oct 25, 2022, 4:27:14 AM10/25/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

That sounds like a plan... EXCEPT for the part about the G2 and G3 databases being separate tables in the *same* database? Not sure why you would do this -- but it sounds like something that would trip up the "g2 import" module. When you tell it to go find all the G2 data and move it into the G3 database (converting some things as it goes) I suspect it will want to see a "standard, out of the box" G2 installation running its own standalone database. Even if "technically" it shouldn't care, remember that I mentioned the degree of success of the "g2 import" module seems to depend largely on how closely the target G2 installation is to "standard" -- which would probably include having its own separate database. Remember, it's a robot process -- it can only do what it was programmed what to look for and where.

As for the idea of straightening out
the Gallery Project site... while it would be a good thing, when I checked into getting permission (and access to the old site) from bharat -- the person who technically "owns" it since he's the last active member of the original Galley Development Group --  he didn't seem too enthusiastic. When he told me about the now-obsolete content system(s) they used to create the old site pages I began to realize why. Updating and streamlining it would be a big, time-consuming project to undertake. I simply would not have the time myself... but bharat might be amenable to some slight modifications like re-instating the search function site-wide and possibly starting a new forum which could link back to the old one somehow.

-- J.R.

Michael J. Kupec

Oct 25, 2022, 6:11:36 PM10/25/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

J.R,

Sorry for the confusion there – meant that on the single server within MySQL, I have two separate databases, one for each version of Gallery.

Of course for Gallery 2, it’s named gallery2 with all table entries beginning with g2_  and for Gallery 3, its database is named gallery3 with all table entries beginning with g3_.

Had a long day when replying and instead of starting up the VM then going into phpMyAdmin to verify what was database and what was table, I got names messed up.

Since openSUSE Leap 42.3 seems to work with Gallery2 so I can use it to import my current galley2 database and files, I’ll see if I can get PHP 5.6 to run on that OS version, then see if I can get G3 to successfully install.

Let all know when I have time to try hat.

As to getting the old site such that it’s searchable, access to the site would be best.  Not sure why the last active member would  be balking at that as technically the project is already dead in the eyes of the original development team.

As or getting parts of the site fixed, it would make sense to clone the environment offline and make changes as needed to that.  It’s basically what I’m doing in trying to get all my data from G2 to G3.  Hopefully it’s not a daunting task, unless someone in the development group really cobbled up the forms part of the web suite.

Have a great day!

image001.png
image010.png
image002.png
image003.png
image004.png
image005.png
image006.png
image007.png
image008.png
image009.png

J.R.

Oct 26, 2022, 5:08:39 AM10/26/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

You said, " Hopefully it’s not a daunting task, unless someone in the development group really cobbled up the forms part of the web suite."

Yeah, that's basically how Bharat explained it to me. There were several people working on different parts of the site, along with some team members leaving and new ones coming on and several different content management systems (or in some cases none at all, just manual coding -- and no real documentation for it -- so that it's basically a cobbled together amorphous mass that would not lend itself to cloning into a more modern mold.

Bharat may feel that new people having access could very well break what is already a shaky structure. And it is totally his call -- he's the one who kept it up and running when the Development Team disbanded. He's the one who has paid for the hosting and server for the past decade. He's also concerned about hackers -- he indicated to me that one of the big reasons the original Development Team walked away from the project was because the site and the forum were being hacked on a fairly regular basis and that sapped time and energy away from the team, who eventually decided it "wasn't much fun any more". I suspect this is why Bharat stopped allowing new members to join the forum 10 years ago, and then eventually shut off the forum log-in function to even the old, existing forum members.

But another couple of years have passed since I talked with Bharat -- and Brad has continued in his efforts to keep Gallery 3 running in the new PHP environments and even improving some aspects -- so Bharat might feel better now about letting us do something. But I personally would have to take a pass on such a project. I'm older now myself with a lot more non-computer-world things impacting on my own limited time and energy.

-- J.R.

Michael J. Kupec

Oct 27, 2022, 12:12:19 AM10/27/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

Evening J.R,

I remember the issues you had  with getting small changes done with Bharat so folks wouldn’t keep downloading the broke versions of Gallery3.

FWIW: The actual web site is a no-brainer as it was developed using MediaWiki and with what looks like someone tried inserting some Drupal code into it. That may not have been successful as I don’t see the complete Drupal engine in the files. Anyway, it’s definitely using MediaWiki because of all the references to codex.

Understandable that they shut down adding new users as all lost interest in developing and with keeping hackers out. Unless you implement strong password requirements for EVERYONE, you will suffer the creations’ of the underworld feeling it’s so much fun trying to break in to your environment. As a network security engineer, the organization I worked for over 20 years for had an attack around the same time the Gallery site was put into hibernation.

The attack was simple, a spearfish within an email sent to an admin assistant.

She thought it was from one of our senior officials asking about a trip and opened it.

Embedded was a Trojan crafted by our most friendly folks out of China.

It woke up overnight and pulled more files from our most friendly folks that then ran and sought out AD info which it put into compressed files and sent back to the red horde.

The friendly folks pulled what they needed from those files, info on those who were planning a big business meeting to the most friendly folks (ok it’s China!)

They also gathered all files on presentations and email transcripts our folks had made for planning the trip.

All done with Symantec AV happily running and up to date it’s definitions.

The Trojans just walked right over the AV SW without any alerts.

We only found out by a visit from FBI and Homeland Security to our CIO and VP of IT asking why were we sending over massive ammpounts of data to China.

According to those two organizations, China has the source code to everything MS has developed.

How you ask?  Well little Billy Gates GAVE it to them!  It was only way China would allow MS to sell any Windopze products in China.

With source code in hand, they piled on thousands of programmers onto the code to find all its flaws and weaknesses.

With that knowledge they wrote code tailored to attack business throughput the US and other countries without alerting and AV software.

It took us about 6 months to clean out all infected computers.

Detection was done via a SEIM (RSA NetWitness) and implementing Palo Alto NG firewalls.

Why am I telling you this?  Well, you mentioned the development team basically got frustrated with all the hacking on the site. Odds are, it was because of poor implementation of proper security protocols.   For our company the fix was we implemented passwords (we called them passphrases) no shorter than 15 characters. All had to have the required letters, numbers and symbols so password dictionaries would be pretty worthless. If you don’t implement those necessary requirements, then you WILL get hacked!  I know how member registration was handled on the Gallery site as I had an account on that site before they locked it down and then hibernated it. Passwords pou;d be as short as 6 characters.

As for anyone offering to help, I would like to get this mess straightened out. It won’t be immediately, but most likely over some time. I actually have free time as I’m currently an unemployed. L My biggest tasks right now are applying for SS disability and Veterans disability because after 10 months of looking, it appears no one wants to hire a 64 year old very experienced network engineer.

if Bharat is tired of hosting it, the site can be rebuilt and published elsewhere.

At this moment, I’m pulling down the site using a Linux based CLI called httrack.

I’ve used this application before to pull down web sites. Static ones like this site are simple to do, just time consuming for the computer, even on a 250Mb FiOS link.

My intent is to rebuild it on a standalone web server here at home, most likely using MediaWiki as that was what’s hosting it now. This is how I’ve always upgraded web sites I’ve helped with. Blow up your test bed with changes, NOT your current active site! Once it’s all working right, push it up on my web site as a subdomain just to verify all works. From there, we can get back with Bharat an see how he’d like to take things further.

All of our time is limited, I understand that. Currently my own priorities with Galley3 are:

1.       Get a working Gallery3 site up with all my data from my Gallery2 site

2.       Create a new Theme that looks similar to what my original G2 site looked like. I’ve always said the biggest mistake the developers made was getting rid of all the cool themes and ways to present pictures. Just what were they thinking!

3.       Help get a new Gallery web site up, either on the original site or have that one shut down and host elsewhere. Make it more secure by using 2FA for everyone with an account on the site using Google’s 2FA app.

FWIW:  Here is what my old Gallery2 site looked like. This is a screen shot today off the standalone web server here in my office.

Hope I didn’t bore you with my long rant/chat.

Cheers!

Michael J Kupec

michae...@verizon.net

J.R.

Oct 29, 2022, 1:53:06 AM10/29/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

I found your 'rant' to be interesting reading and I think it's great that you managed to pull down the gallery project website onto your system -- if nothing else it would serve as a backup in case something where to happen to the currently-still-accessible old site. I would ask that you hold off doing anything more for a little bit while I try one more time to:

1) At least get bharat to give me access permissions to Softaculous and Source Forge so I can get the current version 3.1.5 of Gallery 3 posted there in order to keep new users from downloading the 12-year old version 3.0.9 currently offered by those repositories only to have it fail because it won't run on their PHP 7 or 8 servers. If he doesn't want to release the permissions to me than maybe I can at least get him to take down the old 3.0.9 version so that I can start a completely new account to use to upload the current version.

2) Prevail on getting him to turn back on the Search function at the old site.

This would solve the two most pressing issues we have right now. I'll let everyone know how that goes.

-- J.R.

MICHAEL KUPEC

Oct 29, 2022, 11:52:24 AM10/29/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a plan. Best of luck getting him to agree to access to the sites.

Dumping and analyzing the site took about 25 hours. Had about 3000 log errors as bad links. Suspect they’re to outside sites and checking some proved just that on the dump and on actual site.

Old site was done in media wiki but somehow saved as actual working links (WTF?!). I don’t get it but hovering over a link on site resolves to an actual html Link and not a reference to a local link within media wiki. Weird.

Getting PHP 5.6 installed on OpenSUSE will be a challenge. They jumped from 5.5 to 7.1 from one version of suse to the next. I did find 5.6 repo in their developer site but certificate is dead. Will work a bit more to get installed but may have to try Debian or Centos for a 5.6 version that both galleries like.

Fun! Fun! Fun!

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 29, 2022, at 2:54 AM, J.R. <jrl...@thepostalzone.com> wrote:

 Michael,

image003.png

J.R.

Oct 29, 2022, 4:52:19 PM10/29/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

yikes... your report has convinced me not to even try downloading the old site to my own computer. As you have discovered, there was some weird stuff done during its creation and on-going evolution. Remember, the Gallery website was started back in the year 2000, when dinosaurs roamed the internet. I'm sure all of us wish you well in your effort to modernize it -- you've just earned your own sub-folder in the Gallery Development section of my email archive. Keep us posted.

-- J.R

Michael J. Kupec

Oct 30, 2022, 12:56:50 PM10/30/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

J.R,

Fortunately that 25 hours of grabbing time was just that httrak app running on my iMac, so no involvement on my part. I was beginning to wonder just how long it would take when it hit the 19 hour mark!

Still trying to grab my head around why the actual site goes to html links for everything on the site.

I used TiKiWiKi at work for a Knowledge Base  for our breakfix folks and my network/Linux info (just in case I got hit by a truck, a definite possibility in Washington DC!) It was just like Gallery2/3 in it used a database to track all documents, pictures, files, etc. you added to its environment and pointers to items within the database.

Like:  http://192.168.1.20/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1246

Other content management systems with a database packages do similar, like Wikipedia, Drupal, Joomla, and even MediaWiki.  Exception to the rule is that MS Crap called SharePoint. That’s another whole disaster in the making! It’s like for some reason, someone on the Gallery Development team extracted pure html files/links out of media wiki and just created one huge web page of files!

I’ve given up on getting openSUSE 42.3 to play with PHP 5.6  It installs Gallery2 and works with 5.5 but Galley3 install hangs. Will look into Centos tonight and through the week to see if maybe they have some early version that uses PHP5.6 and give that a try. AFAIK, it’s just PHP 5.6 that is critical for both gallery versions to work on one installation of Linux.  I just need to find one with PHP 5.6.  openSUSE folks just jumped over 5.6 when they went from Leap 42.3 to 15.1. (Don’t try to understand the versioning of openSUSE, even their developer ID10Ts can’t explain it well!)

BTW: That “rant” was just how I could explain I understand the security aspect of the breach attempts. To this day that customer has their webmail servers getting hit with random attacks using old SID user info. Of course, whomever is on call has to go in and block the IP address on all their firewalls. I don’t miss having to do that a bit!

Cheers!

Have a great day!

Michael J Kupec

michae...@verizon.net

yikes... your report has convinced me not to even try downloading the old site to my own computer. As you have discovered, there was some weird stuff done during its creation and on-going evolution. Remember, the Gallery website was started back in the year 2000, when dinosaurs roamed the internet. I'm sure all of us wish you well in your effort to modernize it -- you've just earned your own sub-folder in the Gallery Development section of my email archive. Keep us posted.

-- J.R

J.R.

Oct 30, 2022, 5:58:11 PM10/30/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

"It’s like for some reason, someone on the Gallery Development team extracted pure html files/links out of media wiki and just created one huge web page of files!"

Um... yeah... that's kind of what bharat alluded to when I talked to him about us taking over operation of the site and opening it up to functionality again. Without out being blunt about it, he essentially suggested that I really didn't want to mess with it... that it's weird "structure" was one of the reasons they got tired of keeping the site working... and what made it so hard to prevent it getting hacked all the time.

It might have something to do with the fact that the first version of Gallery did not use an SQL database at all -- just a single big text file database (!) That may have influenced their original site designers/programmers to take the approach they did.

-- J.R.

J.R.

MICHAEL KUPEC

Oct 30, 2022, 6:46:46 PM10/30/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
J.R,

I was referring to the web page that folks keep going to ge the wrong G3.0.9 instead of the GalleryRevival web site. The site that has the unsearchable forum.

I never saw Gallery 1, I started with an early version of G2. I’ll take your word on it about G1 not using a database. Now as we know G2 and G3 use MySQL, just like MediaWiki or Wikipedia and both pass an ID through the main PHP app so grabbing a website where they store and build a web page with pointers via a database is fruitless. However, the Gallery Forum site we want to fix by removing old references to old G3 files and getting the search working isn’t working lkk I’llr s true CMS type site but clicking on a Hyperlink on the main page just opens a new html page with the content you want to view.

HTH

Michael J Kupec
Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 30, 2022, at 6:02 PM, J.R. <jrl...@thepostalzone.com> wrote:

 Michael,

Michael J. Kupec

Oct 30, 2022, 8:02:35 PM10/30/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com

J.R,

Let me clarify a bit better as I was outside by our fire pit and not by my system to grab links:

This link:  http://galleryproject.org/  is the site that I snagged using httrak the other day.

Anything on that site that you click on goes to html page that replaced that current page. Like on the main page, there’s an orange box with “About, Features, Screenshots!, etc.”

Click on the “About” and it takes you to http://codex.galleryproject.org/Gallery3:About.html

This just may be how MediaWiki handles a site you build but I thought it would use a HTML string like:  http://192.168.1.20/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=21

As seen below n my offline Gallery2 page, we’re at URL Address: http://192.168.1.20/gallery2/main.php  The mouse pointer was hovering on the “Pictures from family related acivities” .

The URL for that album can be seen in the lower left of the page.

Clicking on that first album on the main page redirects it to http://192.168.1.20/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=21, as seen below:

CMS type systems work in a similar fashion in that you load a page via an itemId reference from the database that has info on what the page has stored in the database.

This is a basic way of explaining it, but what I’m getting at, it doesn’t reference a complete HTML file on the website like the Galleryproject site does, but builds the page on the fly from PHP scripts and data from the database and pushes it to your browser.  At least how the Gallerypoject page has been done, it wouldn’t be too hard to rebuild it offline here on one of my VM’s.

Michael J Kupec

image005.png
image006.png