Free Movie on Monday Nov 2, The Singularity is Near!

David Nordstedt

Oct 28, 2015, 9:11:12 PM10/28/15
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Hey there, Hackerspace!

I obtained permission to show Ray Kurweil's 'The Singularity is Near'
movie and got sponsorship so we can show it at the Hippodrome this
Monday for FREE. I hope some of you and/or your friends can attend.
There are a limited number of seats, so if the meetup promo code runs
out and you want to go, send me an email and I'll see if I can get
more.

Hope to see you there!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/singularity-the-hipp-film-screening-tickets-18797159811
Password: kurzweil
Promotion Code: meetup

Cheers,
David Nordstedt

--
http://www.thefunctionalweb.com
http://www.iotasoftware.xyz

Randy Fischer

Oct 28, 2015, 10:35:16 PM10/28/15

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 9:11 PM, David Nordstedt <david.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

I obtained permission to show Ray Kurweil's 'The Singularity is Near'
movie and got sponsorship so we can show it at the Hippodrome this
Monday for FREE.  I hope some of you and/or your friends can attend.
There are a limited number of seats, so if the meetup promo code runs
out and you want to go, send me an email and I'll see if I can get
more.

Sounds great - I'm no fan of the later Kurzweil,  so I'm hopeful that the film will change my mind.   (But I learned 40+ years ago from good old HT Odum that people usually mistake the initial rise of a sigmoidal curve as a never-ending exponential.  Wikipedia, Lotka-Voltera equation)

Just as an amusing note, here are the hoops I went through to register:

Go to firefox: got to eventbright page. Allow access via noscript.  Allow access via privacy badger.  Sign in with eventbright account (md5-based password, cut and paste from my gpg-encrypted file of 692 web passwords).  Still can't get a register button.  Give up.

Go to my 'I-know-they-are-watching-and-I-don't-care-there-is-no-security-so-what' browser, chrome, sign in, and get a registration.

Go to my handset to make sure I can get the e-ticket.  Sigh.  Type in the 48 characters of my MD5 password.  And again. Spend 10 minutes (of my only life, which I will never get back) getting out from the advertising to find out if I have the e-ticket.  Find it!  Great! That was easy!

There has got to be a better way.

Seriously, though, I really appreciate you doing this.  Hoping to be not so much an old-fart gadfly at the Mia Apa after party.

-Randy Fischer