Adjusting the frequency of recording track points

STRiDOR

Nov 26, 2009, 10:03:51 PM11/26/09
to Gaia GPS
Is there any way to adjust how often a track point is recorded? I
noticed in Gaia GPS lite (which is version 1.2 I believe) there is an
option of how often/accurate tracks are recorded (and a slider
representing the drain on battery life). I cannot find this option in
Gaia GPS 2.0, so is there another way to do this?

In other GPS apps that I've used, I can select how many meters/ft it
takes for a new track to be recorded. I usually like very accurate
tracks because I use them for geotagging my photos.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
STRiDOR

Andrew Johnson

Nov 28, 2009, 5:05:27 PM11/28/09
to gaia...@googlegroups.com
Hey STRiDOR,

We removed that slider because we found it didn't do very much to conserve battery and it was confusing to a lot of people. That slider adjusted the "preferred accuracy" of the readings of coming back from the GPS.

With regards to frequency of GPS readings (which does have an effect on battery life), we adjust that based on your speed. The faster you go, the less readings we take.

Depending on what other programs you have running, on a 3GS Gaia GPS can take almost 6.5 hours of tracks, from some independent tests from a user. To get the best battery life, make sure to:
  • Turn off any Push Notifications - I have been told that Yahoo's push app shaves off 2 hours.
  • Turn off WIFI, 3G, Bluetooth and Notification (~.5 hours recording time)
  • Put the phone in standby by clicking the top button once you start recording.
  • Using the Lock Button on the front or map screen (instead of putting the phone in standby) will shave an hour off the recording time, but it's still pretty efficient since the screen will black out when you put it in your pocket, using the proximity sensor.
Best regards,
Andrew

--
Andrew Johnson
GaiaGPS.com

andrewljohnson

Nov 28, 2009, 5:21:23 PM11/28/09
to Gaia GPS
Slight correction regarding the effect of things on battery life:

Turn Notifications Off - 30 minute improvement
Turn wi-fi and 3G off - maybe 15-20 minutes each, depending on where
you are

Andrew