Java 6 update 10

Christopher Bare

Nov 13, 2008, 1:34:11 PM11/13/08
to gaggle-...@googlegroups.com
Just a quick warning that Java 6 update 10 seems to cook the
Firegoose. Problems occur on Windows and I'm guessing the other
Sun-provided Java implementations on Linux and Solaris as well. Macs
are so-far unaffected. The symptoms include a "Failed to connect to
Gaggle" error message from Firegoose.

The arcane hack used to access Java libraries from within an extension
is apparently becoming more fragile. We're looking for a replacement
or work-around.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

-Chris

Christopher Bare

Nov 18, 2008, 6:38:20 PM11/18/08
to gaggle-...@googlegroups.com
A temporary work-around has been found for the problem with Firegoose
and Java 6 update 10 on Windows. You can disable the "next-generation
Java plug-in" using the Java Control Panel. The control panel can be
accessed by right-clicking on the java icon in the system tray or
executed from the command line:

c:/Program\ Files/Java/jre6/bin/javacpl.exe

Select the Advanced tab. Click "Java Plug-in" and deselect the
checkbox labeled "Enable the next-generation Java Plug-in". Finally,
restart Firefox. The Firegoose should then operate normally.

Judging by the following bug report, the developers of the java
plug-in are aware of the problem and seem disposed to look for a fix,
so this might be resolved in a later release of the java plug-in:

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do;jsessionid=fcdcd5d9fe8384f0fb6082c9dbba?bug_id=6745455

Thanks,

-chris

Nitin Baliga

Nov 19, 2008, 1:47:15 PM11/19/08
to gaggle-...@googlegroups.com
After disabling "next-generation Java plug-in" I had to uninstall and
then reinstall the Firegoose plugin for the changes to take effect.