Gaelyk 0.4 with a simple plugin system

Guillaume Laforge

May 8, 2010, 3:27:13 AM5/8/10
to gae...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm please to announce the release of Gaelyk 0.4.

This new version features a simple plugin system, that will allow you
to extend your Gaelyk applications, and share commonalities between
Gaelyk projects.
With the plugin system, you'll be able to contribute routes,
categories, new binding variables, third-party libraries, any static
content, etc.

You can download Gaelyk 0.4 here:
http://gaelyk.appspot.com/download

And learn more about the plugin system in the new section of the tutorial:
http://gaelyk.appspot.com/tutorial#plugin

Thanks a lot for your attention, and for your feedback for this new feature.
Big thanks to Mac, Jeff, Marc, Enes, and Richard.

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager

--
Vous recevez ce message, car vous êtes abonné au groupe Google Groupes Gaelyk.
Pour envoyer un message à ce groupe, adressez un e-mail à gae...@googlegroups.com.

Jeff Schwartz

May 8, 2010, 9:01:55 AM5/8/10
to gae...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations, Guillaume. I think this will spawn a whole new ecosystem of user contributed Gaelyk plugins. Do you think it would be a good idea to set up a repository specifically dedicated to them?

Jeff
Jeff

Guillaume Laforge

May 8, 2010, 10:20:55 AM5/8/10
to gae...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 15:01, Jeff Schwartz <jeffts...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Congratulations, Guillaume. I think this will spawn a whole new ecosystem of
> user contributed Gaelyk plugins.

Thank you very much, I'm looking forward to this!

> Do you think it would be a good idea to set
> up a repository specifically dedicated to them?

This is indeed the next question to ask, once we have a simple plugin system.
Where and how should we share such Gaelyk plugins.
We should avoid the complexities of a Maven-like central repository,
though, but that would be neat to have a place, somehow, somewhere,
where we could share those plugins, or at least pointers to these
plugins.
Perhaps we could rework the Gaelyk site itself (would be good to split
the doc, for example, as well) where one could list his / her plugin,
with which version of Gaelyk it's compatible, a descriptiong, and a
link where one can find the plugin?

Ideas and suggestions welcome.

Guillaume

Jeff Schwartz

May 8, 2010, 10:29:49 AM5/8/10
to gae...@googlegroups.com
I would recommend project Kenai but I am not sure if Oracle has completed its retooling of the site. If you think it is a good idea I can check the site's status as I have a few accounts on there already. Another idea is a new Google Group dedicated to Gaelyk plugins. I would volunteer to admin the site if you think it would work.

Jeff

Jeff Schwartz

May 8, 2010, 10:33:07 AM5/8/10
to gae...@googlegroups.com
By the way, I heard a rumor that Oracle is working on a Kenai plugin for Eclipse that would function similarly to the Kenai plugin for Netbeans. It would provide admin, upload and download functionality directly from the ide.

Jeff Schwartz

May 8, 2010, 10:54:12 AM5/8/10
to gae...@googlegroups.com
Is precompilation next? It would be the icing on the cake, so to speak :).

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 3:27 AM, Guillaume Laforge <glaf...@gmail.com> wrote:

Jeff

Guillaume Laforge

May 8, 2010, 12:22:10 PM5/8/10
to gae...@googlegroups.com
I'm happy to get some help there :-)
I've no idea currently what's the best solution for sharing those plugins.
We could also imagine a part of the Gaelyk website using blobstore to
store plugins or something like that.
But if we find a ready-made solution, that's cool.
Even GitHub itself actually may be fine, since it's got an issue
tracker, a DVCS, etc.
And since Gaelyk is on Github already, perhaps that's easier?
Happy to hear all your thoughts about that.

Guillaume

Guillaume Laforge

May 8, 2010, 12:24:06 PM5/8/10
to gae...@googlegroups.com
Ah, ah, well, it's a bigger cake to bake, that will require also
changes on Groovy's side itself, so please don't hold your breath.
Perhaps I'll do first a 0.4.1 with some bug fixes, a bit more tests,
to make things even more stable, etc.
Also we'll see if the plugin system needs some more care till it's
totally ready!
But yes, pre-compilation is quite important and will have my attention.

Guillaume

Wilson MacGyver

May 8, 2010, 2:37:00 PM5/8/10
to gae...@googlegroups.com

I was going to suggest github.

It can be fashisoned like homebrew for osx.

You maintain the root repo.  Anyone that wants to contribute a plugin can fork your repo, add it and then send you a pull request.

http://github.com/mxcl/homebrew

Simple and to the point.

--

Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager

http://www.sprin...

Guillaume Laforge

May 8, 2010, 3:06:37 PM5/8/10
to gae...@googlegroups.com
I also like this idea very much.
It's simple, not much hassle, etc.

You can customize the plugin by forking it, for your own needs.

Sounds good to me.

So I'd just need to create a gaelyk-plugin project?

Guillaume
http://www.springsource.com/g2one

Jeff Schwartz

May 8, 2010, 3:10:46 PM5/8/10
to gae...@googlegroups.com
I like and use git a lot. Much better, faster, more reliable etc .etc. than svn etc. etc.

The problem using git as a distribution method is that anyone who wants to download a plugin from the server's repository will have to have git installed locally.

So as much as I like git I don't think it fits because not every gaelyk user will be a git user.

Just MHO.

Jeff
Jeff

Guillaume Laforge

May 8, 2010, 3:16:24 PM5/8/10
to gae...@googlegroups.com
Actually, you don't need git at all to download something from Github.
Look at Gaelyk :-)
The jar and template project are actually zips you download from Github.
There's a possibility for uploading stuff you want people to download.
Also, when you make tags, you can even download a zip of the repo for
that given tag!
So that's pretty flexible.
http://www.springsource.com/g2one

Jeff Schwartz

May 8, 2010, 3:21:35 PM5/8/10
to gae...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I misunderstood. I now understand that you are referring to github.com, which is a web site that offers centralized git repositories as well as full wiki like services. Sounds good to me :)

Sébastien Blanc

May 8, 2010, 3:24:45 PM5/8/10
to gae...@googlegroups.com
I'm in for git ! Will also for me a way of mastering this tech . So
it's clear for plugin developers using git but what fir the users ?
Guillaume , is it possible to retrieve a list from the git repo with
the latest released plugins and stream it on the gaelyk site ?
Seb

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 8 mei 2010 à 21:16, Guillaume Laforge <glaf...@gmail.com> a
écrit :
> es Gaelyk.
> Pour envoyer un message à ce groupe, adressez un e-mail à gaelyk@googlegroups.c
> om.

Guillaume Laforge

May 8, 2010, 3:45:55 PM5/8/10
to gae...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 21:24, Sébastien Blanc <scm....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm in for git ! Will also for me a way of mastering this tech . So it's
> clear for plugin developers using git but what fir the users ?

They don't *have* to push their plugins in that repository if they
don't want to.
It's not mandatory at all.
It's just more convenient for Gaelyk users to find existing plugins.

> Guillaume ,
> is it possible to retrieve a list from the git repo with the latest released
> plugins and stream it on the gaelyk site ?

They've got some rest-ful interface (I used it for listing the issues
in the community page of the Gaelyk website).
So it's probably possible to do something like that.

Guillaume