active development

Matt O'Donnell

Jan 25, 2010, 3:23:22 PM1/25/10
to Fuzed
I was wondering if fuzed is still actively being developed? I came
across fuzed while looking for ways to run multiple rails apps in a
cluster. I just have a few questions.

* Does fuzed have yaws or mochiweb bundled in?
* Does it work with sinatra?
* Is there a way to talk to fuzed and see what rails apps it is
running?

Thanks,
Matt

Dave Fayram

Jan 25, 2010, 4:14:53 PM1/25/10
to fu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt. I have a sort of form letter where I pour out my soul and explain this to people:

This is a tough thing. Fuzed, as it stands, is not actively developed. Its superset, Katamari, is still being used at Powerset (which is now part of Microsoft). Katamari is literally 2 years advanced on Fuzed, which still has a relatively brittle model for its redundancy and really was only lightly production tested. Katamari is a super-redundant workhorse who's 1.x versions have been in continuous operation on the same hardware for 2 years with only hardware related failures.

I am trying _very_ hard to get Katamari's work open sourced so that I can share it with everyone. It works well and can do everything from Django to Rails to MapReduce. But, in order to get there, I need to navigate a labyrinthine maze of legal forms and reticient lawyers who simply Don't Get Why we should open source this. It's especially annoying since the Powerset management lied to me to get me to sign off on not open sourcing for a month while they got the Microsoft acquisition in order.

Now to your actual questions:

* Does fuzed have yaws or mochiweb bundled in?

Fuzed currently uses YAWS, bundled in.

* Does it work with sinatra?

It works via Rack, so yes. However it might require a bit of code.

* Is there a way to talk to fuzed and see what rails apps it is
running?

Yes, it runs a status page which can report anything you want from the nodes. By default we segregate apps by "kind" or "role", both of which are fields your responders can fill out. The reporting webapp can show these fields for you.

Thanks,
Matt

Np. I can help you get fuzed running if you want. I have a ton of experience with the codebase.

Dave Fayram
dfa...@gmail.com

Matt O'Donnell

Jan 25, 2010, 4:54:55 PM1/25/10
to fu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the response!  I just recently started learning erlang with the idea that if I didn't find a solution that I would have to write my own.

I will definitely take a look at fuzed and let you know if I have any questions.

Matt