Re: ::FLNW:: Sunday Seminar - Teaching English in a Mobile and Networked World

Stephen Downes

Sep 23, 2006, 8:42:57 PM9/23/06
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Making people register to Learning Times in order to access this event is fundamentally wrong. You should be required to do so. I was going to publicize it but now I won't, as I never link to sites that demand registration.

-- Stephen

Michael Coghlan wrote:
This event will take place within the LearningTimes community at http://home.learningtimes.net/learningtimes?go=235631 (You will need to join the LearningTimes community to get access to this room - a quick and painless process.)

Teemu Leinonen

Sep 23, 2006, 8:51:26 PM9/23/06
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I hope we may again all just make our own choices in here.

- Teemu

Teemu Leinonen
http://www.uiah.fi/~tleinone/
+358 50 351 6796
Media Lab
http://mlab.uiah.fi
University of Art and Design Helsinki

Stephen Downes

Sep 23, 2006, 8:53:24 PM9/23/06
Teemu Leinonen wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I hope we may again all just make our own choices in here.
>

> - Teemue

Hm. I didn't know you supported the blocking of knowledge and
information for commerical purposes.

I guess you can choose servitude... but perhaps we shouldn't be
recommending it.

-- Stephen

Michael Coghlan

Sep 23, 2006, 8:57:49 PM9/23/06
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Yeh - kind of agree with you Stephen. But we could only get a 'free room' for 25 or less people, and John has 107 registrations. So to cover the possibility that more than 25 might show up that's the decision we've taken. And LearningTimes are good people, and a great community that I never any qualms about funnelling people through. It has a lot to offer educators.

Hope the BBQ is going well....

- Michael
Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Teemu Leinonen

Sep 23, 2006, 9:16:48 PM9/23/06
Stephen Downes kirjoitti 24.9.2006 kello 12:53:
>> I hope we may again all just make our own choices in here.
>
> Hm. I didn't know you supported the blocking of knowledge and
> information for commerical purposes.

Interesting reasoning: Giving the power for the educated people to
make their own choices ends up to be support of blocking knowledge.
Hmm...

- Teemu

Stephen Downes

Sep 23, 2006, 9:17:29 PM9/23/06
Teemu Leinonen wrote:

>Interesting reasoning: Giving the power for the educated people to
>make their own choices ends up to be support of blocking knowledge.
>Hmm...

Yes, odd, that I somehow interpreted the practice of blocking access to
knowledge as supported for blocking knowledge.

I guess in our brave new idealistic world I should have realized that
blocking access is actually empowerment and choice.

-- Stephen

John Eyles

Sep 23, 2006, 11:06:58 PM9/23/06
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

wonderful to have many of you at my home. Thank you for coming.

Just a reminder of two live events that I would be grateful if you can join today as part of the Teaching English in a Networked and Mobile world symposium - http://www.thelivingclassroom.org

New Zealand times

16.00 - 16.45 :: Skypecaste: A presentation and discussion led by Zen Player, Lisa Galarneau and Michael MacKay to discuss the enormous potential that currently exists to develop a massively multiplayer online game that rewards users and helps them learn English and other subjects. To login go to: https://skypecasts.skype.com/skypecasts/skypecast/detailed.html?id_talk=37575 Note: You may need to first download the latest FREE version of Skype. Go to www.skype.com

17.30 - 18.30 :: Elluminate Session led by Michael Coghlan with 5 minutes presentations from Barbara Dieu - Brazil. Konrad Glogowski - Canada and Teemu Leinonen - Finland. The topic will be 'Teaching English in a Mobile and Networked World'. See Presenters List. The session will be recorded for viewing later and also a discussion forum will take Q&A.

Please Note: The Teaching English in a Mobile and Networked World webcast on Sunday at 17.30pm NZ time (GMT 05.30 am) will be held in an Elluminate room within the LearningTimes community.

If you are already a LearningTimes member go directly to the Elluminate room at MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "http:" claiming to be http://home.learningtimes.net/learningtimes?go=235631 and click on Enter Now.

If you are not a member of LearningTimes
Go to http://learningtimes.org/ Join the LearningTimes community via the Become a Member button. (It takes just a few minutes.)

Once you have joined you should be able to go directly to the Elluminate room for this event at http://home.learningtimes.net/learningtimes?go=235631
Alternatively, navigate to the room via the links in the sidebar inside the community: Member Offices > Coghlan, Michael - Virtual Office > Enter Now

If you have not used Elluminate before the necessary software should download and install automatically. (It will take around 5 - 15 minutes depending on connection speed).

If you are able to download and install the software, and you can enter text, and write on the whiteboard, you have a successful connection. To test your audio run through Audio Wizard via the Tools > Audio > Audio Set Up Wizard.

We will not be able to assist in troubleshooting audio problems once the session has begun.

If the software does not automatically download and install you may be behind a firewall and need to configure a proxy server to allow Elluminate to install on your computer. Information on how to do this is contained in the .pdf document at http://www.elluminate.com/support/docs/Firewall_Information.pdf

Note: if you have used Elluminate before note that we will be using the latest version of Elluminate and that may require an extra download before you can join un the session on Sunday.

You are urged to ensure that you have downloaded and installed the Elluminate software well before the session begins on Sunday.

If you require further assistance please contact Michael Coghlan via mich...@chariot.net.au

Cheers,

John

John Eyles
Online Coordinator / Senior Lecturer /
Flexible Learning Leader in NZ (www.fllinnz.ac.nz)
Department of Postgraduate Studies
School of Art and Design
Faculty of Design and Creative Technologies
Auckland University of Technology
Private Bag 92006
Auckland, New Zealand
ph +64 9 921 9999 ext 8043
john....@aut.ac.nz

Personal Homepage:
http://www.johneyles.info

The Art and Design Postgraduate Network:
http://www.adpgn.aut.ac.nz

Flexible Learning Leaders in New Zealand:
http://www.fllinnz.ac.nz

>>> ste...@downes.ca 24/09/2006 1:17 p.m. >>>

Stanley Frielick

Sep 23, 2006, 11:44:44 PM9/23/06
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
hi Stephen
maybe you can set up an free Elluminate server at downes.ca so everyone can join in with no restrictions? - funded by the Canadian taxpayer?
Stanley

Stephen Downes

Sep 24, 2006, 2:11:58 AM9/24/06
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Hiya,

I have no research or other money - the Canadianb taxpayer does not give m,e money to provide services, useful or otherwise.

I have in  fact urged at several fora that services like this and others be set up, for precisely this sort of reason. No favorable response yet from the people who do have money to fund such things (the money, it seems, goes to the corporations who create barriers).

-- Stephen
--

Stephen Downes  ~  Research Officer  ~  National Research Council Canada
http://www.downes.ca  ~  ste...@downes.ca         __\|/__ Free Learning

Stanley Frielick

Sep 24, 2006, 4:41:08 AM9/24/06
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
fair enough - but I do think that those of us who work in publicly-funded institutions should work really hard to make this happen.  In my experience it takes more than just advocacy. For example, the open wireless network that we had at NorthTec on Fri (that gave you ftp for the first time in NZ) didn't just happen.  I had to fight several internal political battles and workaround plenty firewall obstacles to create it - at some risk to me (OK - not my life at stake but my arse on the line :).  The question of open access for web services for teaching/learning is something we can usefully discuss at the FLLinNZ/FLNW meeting on Thurs ... ?
in the meantime though I would agree with Teemu that it's a matter of choice - I dont find anything particular sinister in registering for a free community service like Learning Times.
-Stanley

Sean FitzGerald

Sep 24, 2006, 6:54:53 PM9/24/06
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Conference content coming from participant's blogs and podcasts, various media
feeds and the del.icio.us feed is now being aggregated and displayed on the wiki
- http://flnw.wikispaces.com/feeds - using Stephen Downes' MyGlu technology -
http://www.downes.ca/myglu.htm.

Sean

--------------------
Sean FitzGerald
Tel: +61 2 9360 3291
Mob: +61 404 130 342
Skype: seamusy
Second Life: Sean McDunnough
Web: http://seanfitz.wikispaces.com/

Stephan Ridgway

Sep 24, 2006, 10:05:13 PM9/24/06
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sean and Steven,

Just what I needed, one place to keep track of all the distributed contect coming from FLNW.

Steph.

Stephen Downes

Sep 25, 2006, 3:12:49 AM9/25/06
to futureof...@googlegroups.com
Hiya,

You can agree with Teemu if you want. But the creation of a barrier doesn't create choice, it eliminates choice. Agreeing with Teemu won't change that.

I appreciate that you were able to get wireless. Today's collapse of internet at the Technical University illustrates the problems that still remain. Creating barriers probably won't help that either (thougth I'm sure your Telco would be pleased to privatize whatever it can in the name, as usual, of 'choice').

I won't be at any meetings on Thursday. I'm giving my keynote and then I'm going away.