linux-sabayon kernels

Daniel Robbins

Jun 5, 2010, 9:56:57 PM6/5/10
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I've added sys-kernel/linux-sabayon ebuilds from Sabayon Linux. This is a *binary* kernel ebuild that builds your kernel and initrd using a standard kernel config using genkernel, and installs it in /boot.

Works very well with boot-update - give it a try!

At some point I will be providing kernel/initrd binaries to make install faster - at least for now, this makes the install pretty trouble-free.

Regards,

-Daniel

Guy Fontaine

Jun 6, 2010, 8:22:28 AM6/6/10
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Hi !

Does it mean that you only emerge that kernel and it installs without going through the process of make menuconfig ?

What does it happen if you are still using grub-legacy ?

Thanks in advance,

Guy Fontaine (aramis_qc)

Eric S

Jun 6, 2010, 9:06:05 AM6/6/10
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Guy,

If I'm not mistakened, the answer is "yes." Genkernel's build a kernel for you given a config file. They also build an initrd and all that jazz. Typically, the genernel just says "y" to everything, so the kernels end up being much larger than user configured ones. I imagine the Sabayon kernels are somewhat tailored to the architecture being used.

Eric

Guy Fontaine

Jun 6, 2010, 9:11:56 AM6/6/10
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Thank's Eric. That sounds good. You sure are right.

That can help someone making the move from a binary distribution to a source one with some ease.

Guy Fontaine (aramis_qc)

Дмитрий Осинцев

Jun 6, 2010, 10:58:15 PM6/6/10
to funto...@googlegroups.com