Configuring two network cards on the same machine does not work

1 view

Zeno R.R. Davatz

Mar 12, 2010, 10:39:03 AM3/12/10
to Funtoo
Ok, I spent some lovely minutes (hours) in the serverhouse today,
trying to get an internal and an external network up and running.
Whenever I start the internal card and the external card (both have a
normal ifconfig) I can not ping google. If I stop the internal card
eth1 and keep eth0 running I can ping google and ssh into the machine.
I tried it on two servers, same issue.

eth0 is:

template="interface"
description="eth0"
IP=62.12.131.46
NM=255.255.255.240
GW=62.12.131.33
NS1=8.8.4.4
NS2=8.8.8.8

eth1 is:

template="interface"
description="eth1"
IP=192.168.0.37
NM=255.255.255.0
GW=192.168.0.1

this is really strange!

Any feedback is highly welcome. Before upgrading to OpenRC 0.6.0
everything worked just fine!

Daniel Robbins

Mar 12, 2010, 12:44:23 PM3/12/10
to funto...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Zeno R.R. Davatz <zda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, I spent some lovely minutes (hours) in the serverhouse today,
> trying to get an internal and an external network up and running.
> Whenever I start the internal card and the external card (both have a
> normal ifconfig) I can not ping google. If I stop the internal card
> eth1 and keep eth0 running I can ping google and ssh into the machine.
> I tried it on two servers, same issue.

I notice that both eth0 and eth1 have a gateway specified. That
gateway (GW) setting is used as the default route for all non-local
traffic. My guess is that you need to drop the GW setting from eth1. A
route will automatically be added for 192.168.0.0/24, but all
non-local traffic will then still go through 62.12.131.33, which I
think is what you want.

-Daniel

Zeno R.R. Davatz

Mar 13, 2010, 6:28:52 AM3/13/10
to Funtoo
On 12 Mrz., 18:44, Daniel Robbins <drobb...@funtoo.org> wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, that is what I want.

I love Funtoo, and guess this will work! I will test it an let you
know. In any case this should be more explicitly mentioned in the
Funtoo Networking Guide, as this is really a different behaviour then
in OpenRC 0.5.2.

What I am curious about: Can you point me towards the code changes
between OpenRc 0.5.2 and OpenRc 0.6.0 that would show these changes?
Just that I could have a look at that as well for better
understanding.

Best
Zeno

Zeno R.R. Davatz

Mar 14, 2010, 8:39:14 AM3/14/10
to Funtoo
On 13 Mrz., 12:28, "Zeno R.R. Davatz" <zdav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I notice that both eth0 and eth1 have a gateway specified. That
> > gateway (GW) setting is used as the default route for all non-local
> > traffic. My guess is that you need to drop the GW setting from eth1. A
> > route will automatically be added for 192.168.0.0/24, but all
> > non-local traffic will then still go through 62.12.131.33, which I
> > think is what you want.

Worked as advised by Daniel perfectly well!

best
Zeno