HOWTO: Debug routes in FubuMvc

Weston Binford

Jul 28, 2009, 2:23:19 PM7/28/09
to FubuMVC Development Group
I have seen some references to debugging in FubuMvc, but did not see a
how to article that covered everything that I needed to get started
using it. So, I dug into the source and found out how it works. At
least, I found out how I think it works. Please correct me if I get
it wrong.

Out of the box, there is a route created for __debug (with two
underscores). It does not require any configuration because the
ControllerConfig class configures it in its constructor.

Going to the link http://sitename/__debug will loop through all of the
controllerActions and list the following information:

PrimaryUrl - The PrimaryUrl (route)
ControllerType - The type of the Controller.
ActionFunc - The method name of the Action called within the
Controller
InputType - The type of the InputModel
OutputType - The type of the OutputModel

It is a good way to get an overview of how routing is configured in
your application.

Notes:
* You should not have to worry about behaviors interfering with the
DebugControllerAction because it removes all other urls and behaviors
from the configuration and then adds back the execute_the_result and
OutputDebugInformation behaviors.
* The DEBUG_URL for debugging routes is a hard-coded constant in the
DebugOutputActionConfigurer class. You could change it here. This
might be a candidate for inclusion
FubuMVC.Core.Controller.Config.FubuConventions.

-Weston

Weston Binford

Jul 28, 2009, 2:27:16 PM7/28/09
to FubuMVC Development Group
Meant to put this in the original post. These observations are as of
Subversion revision 106 of the FubuMVC project.