GNOME 3 .0 release party

shirish शिरीष

Feb 7, 2011, 2:27:16 PM2/7/11
to fs...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,
        I'm sure all or most of you like the GNOME Window Manager. It
is the default window manager in *most* of the Debian based
distributions.

While people have generally loved it for its simplicity, power users
who want to change the desktop feel or tweak/play around with the
underlying technology have had some issues. Some people on the other
hand complain/ed that its too complex .

To overcome those limitations and give ever better performance and be the
window manager of 2011, the GNOME community would be releasing GNOME
3 on 6th April 2011.

This would be a great opportunity to introduce the GNOME desktop with
GNOME 3.0 on it to your friends as well as make new friends.

A quick preview of what GNOME 3.0 would be like can be found at
http://gnome3.org

Have a look at the pictures, if interested download the snapshot which
has got gnome3 on an Opensuse distribution and put it on memory
stick/thumbdrive whatever and take it for a drive.

 The only piece of caution there its still very much a work in
progress. People are going 24*7 so we all can enjoy the new GNOME 3.0
on April 6th.

Now, to celebrate this occasion, people can throw parties and
celebrate this event on any day between April 6th -15th.

To help with this event, GNOME is sponsoring 3 T-shirts,
Balloons,Stickers, pins the usual stuff.

So would you guys like to throw a party in and around that time ?

What we would require to throw a party?

a. A room
b. Few volunteers 5-6 people perhaps.
c. Some kind of projection system.
d. Somebody sharing about the feature-set of the new GNOME 3.0
e. (Optionally) :- Few laptops/desktops running the new GNOME 3.0 for
people to try and see.
f. If people find bugs, doing bug-reporting and showing how it is done.
g. Some snacks, either by college or each to his own.
h. Putting mails across various FOSS mailing lists in and around Pune.
i. Getting a camera or two and recording the footage for the day.
j. Blogging about the event afterwards.

While people are welcome to take any of the roles they wish to, if
needed can do d. and f.

Please let me know if people are interested for the same.

About self :- Just your average GNU/Linux user.
--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल