April 25th: Getting Started With MapServer and Open Layers

br...@thetimoneygroup.com

Apr 2, 2007, 10:01:12 PM4/2/07
to Front Range Users of Geospatial Open Source

All:

session, we're happy to announce a session on getting started with
MapServer and OpenLayers.

WHEN: Wednesday April 25th 5:45PM-8PM

WHERE: CU-Denver GIS lab CU Building--Room:115 (located at the
corner of 14th & Lawrence in downtown Denver).

WHAT: Getting Started With MapServer and Open Layers

We'll show how to set up MapServer to web-enable OGC WMS services.
WMS services can be consumed by a wide variety of spatial interfaces
ranging from ArcGIS to Autodesk products to Google Earth, etc., etc.,
etc. Particular emphasis will be placed on setting up a quick-and-
easy Image Server: throw a GeoTIFF on the server and "broadcast" it
out to multiple interfaces in multiple map projections. Also, we'll
connect to the trusty shapefile format to show the mixing-and-matching
of vector and raster data sources.

The second half of the class we'll dip into OpenLayers--an open-source
map viewer in the "slippy map" vein a la Google/Yahoo/Microsoft.
We'll show how to hook up your brand new WMS service to it and lay
down some placemarks.

HOW YOU CAN PARTICIPATE:

CU-Denver's Rafael Moreno has graciously made the lab available during
his class GEOG4095: Deploying GIS funtionality on the web.

Here are the options for participating

**Seating is first-come, first-served.

a) Bring your laptop. Plug-in and follow along. We suggest
installing the MS4W package for Windows (it gives you MapServer, PHP,
and an Apache web server in one fell swoop) before you arrive. We'll
also have install disks to quickly go through the process at the
beginning of class.

b) There will be a dozen or so terminals available so you can hit a
sample WMS service, bring it up in ArcGIS, and follow along with the
Open Layers portion in "read-only" mode.

Look forward to seeing both familiar as well as new faces,

Brian

br...@thetimoneygroup.com

Apr 24, 2007, 12:19:52 PM4/24/07
to Front Range Users of Geospatial Open Source

Hope to see you there--come early for guaranteed seating....

BT