Press Release Friends and family to free Shohn Huckabee

molly

Jan 30, 2011, 10:11:17 PM1/30/11
to Frontera LIst
Press Release

Friends and family to free Shohn Huckabee
8001-e N. Mesa #327, El Paso, Tx 79932
Contact: Kevin Huckabee khuc...@aol.com 915 526 2385 or Susan Smith
prett...@gmail.com 817 717 5431

January 28, 2011
El Paso, Tx- It was the early evening of December 18, 2009 when US
citizens and El Paso natives Shohn Huckabee, 22, and Carlos Quijas
Ruiz, 36, were illegally and violently detained by Mexican Army
soldiers as they were leaving Cd. Juarez, nearing the
Cordova International Bridge. They have been incarcerated in the most
dangerous city on earth ever since. With Shohn at the wheel, they
were returning from an innocent day trip to Cd. Juarez that Shohn had
arranged to save on vehicle repair costs. Carlos, an employee of
Shohn’s construction company, accompanied him to visit an ailing
grandfather. This kind of border
crossing for reduced cost services had always been common for most
area residents. Shohn waved off the thought that he could become
another victim, like the many he had seen and heard about on the news.

Thirteen months, ten days have gone by since he was criminally
assaulted and detained by Mexican Army soldiers as he drove towards
American soil. The final appeal under Mexican law of the unjust
conviction that led to their captivity is about to begin. Shohn’s
future is at stake. He is fighting to be freed from a wrongful
conviction and 5-year sentence for a crime that was fabricated by the
government’s public servants, Army soldiers that have been cited in
thousands of complaints. Besides the agony of being incarcerated as a
result of lies, corruption and injustice, he has had to survive
torture and coercion, intimidation and robbery, extortion and
discrimination. The case and proceedings leading to the sentence
demonstrate an extreme abuse and violation of Shohn’s internationally
ratified and guaranteed human rights, as well as a potentially life
long affront against his good name and reputation as a trustworthy,
reliable, dedicated member of his community, a loving son and husband.

Shohn says of the moments before his truck was forced off the road by
Army troops: “It was Friday night. I was planning to take my wife out
to dinner when I got home. I was going shopping for my brothers and
sisters the next day, but I really wasn’t thinking about that, until
after the Army stopped us and jerked us out of the truck. Then my
first thought was that I was going to become another horror story,
like the ones you hear on the news, where people disappear. I knew at
that point to get ready and prepare myself to be killed. You hear so
many stories about the Army picking people up and them never being
seen again. I couldn’t believe I was that close to being back home in
El Paso, and this had to happen. My wife had been concerned about me
going. Lying in the back of the truck, blinded by the shirt over my
head and with my arms tied up, I really just wished I could tell my
family good bye.”

The case against Shohn is rife with inconsistencies and disturbing
misrepresentations. The only testimony presented by the government was
that of two non commissioned soldiers, disinterested in the
impossibility of their recollection of events. No official
investigations were presented to support the charges and the judge’s
decision. It is clear that the soldiers lied about the time and
location where the vehicle was detained, the motive for the
detention, the use of the ludicrous GT 2400 Molecular device,and
denying
the extrajudicial interrogation and torture that they were subjected
to after being forcibly hauled off by the troops into the night. The
Army’s public servants also lied about the valuables and cash that
were stolen from Shohn. Records prove his stolen cell phone was used
extensively to access websites in Mexico, 5 hours after their
detention
at approximately 6:45 PM .

Please join the family and friends of Shohn Huckabee in righting the
great injustice done to this young man. We love and miss him dearly.
Together, let's free Shohn.