Fw: URGENT Press Conference

pch...@juno.com

Jun 6, 2011, 12:41:34 PM6/6/11
to a7mo...@gmail.com, lilia...@yahoo.com, betty...@gmail.com, Mcoo...@aol.com, viej...@alumni.nd.edu, molly...@gmail.com, fronte...@googlegroups.com, swrig...@gmail.com, jeans...@hotmail.com
Pass the word.  Peter

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
From: Ruben Garcia <ruben...@annunciationhouse.org>
To: "Garcia, Ruben" <ruben...@annunciationhouse.org>
Subject: URGENT Press Conference
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 08:02:55 -0600

At about 8 PM last night, June 5th, five or six units of the Mexican Federal Police went to the Centro de Derechos Humanos Paso del Norte in Juarez, broke in without a warrant, and conducted an illegal search of the entire facility. Federal Police tried to break in through the Centro's front door and when that proved difficult, they went� to the rear of the building and broke in through two doors in the rear.

I spoke to Father Oscar Enriquez early this AM and he told me that they have no idea why they would have done this. The��Centro de Derechos Humanos Paso del Norte has been very active in the organization for�the impending visit to Juarez of�Mexican author and�poet Javier Sicilia.�Father Oscar told me that neighbors were able to identify the specific Federal Police units�by the numbers printed on their vehicles. There is an article in the Juarez Dario that lists those units and carries pictures of the damage done to the doors in order to gain entry into the center.
A press conference is�being organized for�3 PM today at Casa Vides, 325 Leon Street for the purpose of denouncing the�illegal search and calling for accountability.�It is very important to have a broad cross section of�El Paso�human rights organizations, legal projects,�academics, civic organizations, and elected�officials. Your representation and show of solidarity is greatly needed and appreciated.
PLEASE CONFIRM IF YOU WILL BE IN ATTENDANCE.
Ruben�

--
Ruben L Garcia
Director

Groupon.com Official Site
1 huge daily deal on the best stuff to do in your city. Try it today!
Groupon.com

molly

Jun 6, 2011, 4:06:52 PM6/6/11
to Frontera LIst
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PRESS CONFERENCE
DATE: MONDAY, JUNE 6th
TIME: 3:00 PM
LOCATION: CASA VIDES 325 Leon Street, El Paso, Texas

SUBJECT: HUMAN RIGHTS OFFICE IN JUAREZ

A broad coalition of human rights, legal, religious, and community
organizations will hold a press conference at 3pm today to condemn an
attack by Mexican Federal Police against a Juarez human rights
organization. At approximately 8 PM yesterday, Sunday, June 5th, the
offices of the Centro de Derechos Humanos Paso de Norte (The Paso del
Norte Human Rights Center) in Juarez were raided by federal police.
Police forcefully entered the building without a search warrant.
Windows were broken and the materials in the office were searched and
ransacked-including numerous files on human rights abuses..

This forced and illegal entry, without warrant or provocation, is an
unprecedented violation of civil society by the Mexican State, and is
a direct act of intimidation specifically directed at defenders of
human rights. It is additionally intimidating to the multiple
organizations across civil society, who like the Paso del Norte
Center, are participating in the Caravan for Justice and Peace with
Dignity that will take place in Ciudad Juarez on June 9th and 10th.
Illegal actions such as this threaten the security and well being of
the general population, and threatening in particular citizens who are
actively engaging in democratic processes.

Included among the organizations who are issuing this statement are
the following:

Annunciation House

Paso Del Norte Civil Rights Project

Border Network for Human Rights

Las Americas Immigrant Advocacy Center

Sin Fronteras Farm Workers Center

Casa Puente

Asociacion de Trabajadors Fronterizos

Columban Border Ministries

Diocesan Migrant and Refugee Services

Peace and Justice Ministry, Diocese of El Paso

Sisters of the Assumption, Chaparral, NM

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:

Ruben L Garcia, Annunciation House

Voice: 915-533-4675, 915-545-4509, 915-503-4387
Email: ruben...@annunciationhouse.org
Fax: 915-351-1343