Friday 5: Literacy

0 vue

Lucy Gray

non lue,
31 août 2007, 21:44:3431/08/2007
à Friday 5
Greetings, Friday Fivers -

My new school has been in session for a full week now. One of the
first things I've noticed as a newcomer is the attention paid to
literacy and to professional development. Teachers at NKO are devoting
an hour and a half each week to discussion and reflection on literacy
best practices, more specifically on improving reading instruction in
the content areas. This week, we discussed reading aloud and text
sets. As a result, I've been poking around literacy web sites that
might support this professional development, and I thought I'd share
some of my better finds with you this week.

Have a great Labor Day,

Lucy Gray
elem...@gmail.com

-----

1) BBC - Schools Ages 4-11 - Literacy Sites
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/websites/4_11/site/literacy.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/stories/

The BBC produces wonderful stories and games for kids.

2) Word Girl
http://pbskids.org/wordgirl/

This is a web site for a new PBS show that promotes literacy. Word up!

3) Verizon Literacy Network
http://literacynetwork.verizon.org/Verizon-Literacy-Network-Home.10.0.html

Check out literacy resources from what was formerly known as Marco
Polo, now known as Verizon's Thinkfinity.

4) Literacy Coaching Clearinghouse
http://www.literacycoachingonline.org/

Literacy coaching is a new concept to me and it is used at my new
school, so I thought I'd learn more about it.

5) Reading Rockets
http://www.readingrockets.org/

Reading Rockets is one-stop shopping for all things related early
literacy. I subscribe to their newsfeeds in my newsreader.

6) The Literacy Web at the University of Connecticut
http://www.literacy.uconn.edu/index.htm

Find lots of resources arranged by grade level here in addition to
literacy research. I particularly like the links to teacher web pages;
it's nice to get a peek into other classrooms.

For more literacy sites, check out my links in del.icio.us:
http://del.icio.us/elemenous/readaloud
http://del.icio.us/elemenous/literacy

Répondre à tous
Répondre à l'auteur