ANN: Frescobaldi 2.0.4

Wilbert Berendsen

Mar 6, 2012, 6:19:16 PM3/6/12
to fresc...@googlegroups.com, lilypo...@gnu.org
Hi all,

Frescobaldi 2.0.4 (www.frescobaldi.org) is out with the following
changes:

* Translations:
- updated: pl, nl, cs
* New features:
- view->line numbers
- in the documents list, it is now possible to right-click a group of
selected documents (or a directory name, if grouping is enabled), to
close or save multiple documents at once.
- automatic completion in the snippet editor
- python snippets may now define a main() function that can do
everything
- new delete-lines snippet, bound by default to Ctrl-K
- splash screen on startup (can be turned off in the preferences)
* Improvements:
- opening many documents (e.g. a large session) is now much faster
- waiting for LilyPond to return information on Settings->Ok now does
not block the user interface anymore and shows progress if it takes
some time
- built-in manual now documents settings and session dialog
* Bug fixes:
- fix icon theme index files not in source tarball (regression since
2.0.3)
- fix hyphenation dictionaries not in source tarball
- fixed memory leak (closed documents that had been shown remained in
memory)

It's my birthday present to the LilyPond-loving community :-)

Enjoy!

--
Wilbert Berendsen
(http://www.wilbertberendsen.nl)

Janek Warchoł

Mar 11, 2012, 1:26:37 AM3/11/12
to Wilbert Berendsen, fresc...@googlegroups.com, lilypo...@gnu.org
On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 12:19 AM, Wilbert Berendsen <wbs...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Frescobaldi 2.0.4 (www.frescobaldi.org) is out with the following
> changes [...]

> It's my birthday present to the LilyPond-loving community :-)

Thanks and happy birthday to you! Frescobaldi is great!

cheers,
Janek

Valentin Villenave

Mar 11, 2012, 6:10:35 AM3/11/12
to Janek Warchoł, Wilbert Berendsen, fresc...@googlegroups.com, lilypo...@gnu.org
2012/3/11 Janek Warchoł <janek.l...@gmail.com>:

> Thanks and happy birthday to you!  Frescobaldi is great!

Yeah, I'm still not entirely convinced by the KDE-less version (in a
couple months we should discuss it in the Report :-).

But: happy birthday!

Cheers,
Valentin.

Richard Cognot

Mar 11, 2012, 7:22:54 AM3/11/12
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Valentin Villenave a écrit :

> Yeah, I'm still not entirely convinced by the KDE-less version (in a
> couple months we should discuss it in the Report :-).

In a Linux-only world it does not make that much of a difference I think
(for the end user that means, for Wilbert this is an entirely different
story).

In a windows world the whole difference is between using KDE-less
frescobaldi or JEdit... And I think frescobaldi as-is now already does
more than JEdit with the lilypond plugin which has been around for years.

Regards,
Richard.

PS: and yes, happy birthday too ;)

Wilbert Berendsen

Mar 12, 2012, 4:50:40 AM3/12/12
to Valentin Villenave, Janek Warchoł, fresc...@googlegroups.com, lilypo...@gnu.org
Op Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:10:35 +0100
Valentin Villenave <vale...@villenave.net> schreef:

> Yeah, I'm still not entirely convinced by the KDE-less version (in a
> couple months we should discuss it in the Report :-).

Please let me know the things you miss most! Note that F2 is only
(roughly) one year old and really written from scratch, the first commit
is of Nov 11, 2012. I intend to keep developing and adding new
features. I think the current technical infrastructure and code setup is
very nice.

Many things are high on the TODO list, and all the needed
infrastructure is already there:

- MIDI input (both in step mode and real-time playing)
- MIDI import (advanced dialog to open a MIDI file and arrange the
tracks into voices before dropping the LY code to the editor)
- Import other formats, either through the xxx2ly tools or with own
libraries
- VI-like editing mode
- folding in editor
- complete the highlighting for html, latex, docbook, texinfo
- command for running lilypond-book
- integration with git/svn etc.
- editing through the Music View (i.e. drag objects to attach them to
another note or to insert offset overrides)
- lookup of lilypond keywords in the lilypond help (like Fresc. 1.2)

> But: happy birthday!

Merci beaucoup!

Wilbert

Wilbert Berendsen

Mar 12, 2012, 5:04:58 AM3/12/12
to fresc...@googlegroups.com, Valentin Villenave, Janek Warchoł, lilypo...@gnu.org
Op Mon, 12 Mar 2012 09:50:40 +0100
Wilbert Berendsen <wbs...@xs4all.nl> schreef:

> the first commit is of Nov 11, 2012

sorry, must be 2010 or course :)

Valentin Villenave

Mar 13, 2012, 3:07:41 PM3/13/12
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Wilbert Berendsen <wbs...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Please let me know the things you miss most! Note that F2 is only
> (roughly) one year old and really written from scratch, the first commit
> is of Nov 11, 2012. I intend to keep developing and adding new
> features. I think the current technical infrastructure and code setup is
> very nice.

I for one was in favor of removing the KDE dependency; but I wasn't
expecting so many features to be missing afterwards! For example,
integrating a web-browser and a terminal was trivial with Kparts, but
now you'd need to recode everything from scratch...

When you first mentioned you were going to go KDE-independent, I
assumed it would be something like SMplayer compared to Kplayer : both
are mplayer front-ends but SMplayer is KDE-independent and is a
**lot** better than Kplayer. I realize now, however, that Frescobaldi
involves much more different components.

Anyhoo, I got "upgraded" to Frescobaldi 2.0 as part of a normal distro
update, without noticing the major version bump... and when I opened
Frescobaldi again, it was kind of a shock.

- aesthetically speaking, the difference is huge and the interface
looks a lot less pretty (pinkish background in the PDF preview: wtf?).
- the source code window sports less pleasant colors (plain
blue/red/black instead of KDE's pastel tones).
- the search function is now just that: no search&replace.
- no more tabs on the side and the bottom: making frames
appear/disappear is a lot less intuitive: you have to **close**
frames, not merely **hide** them (I was used to hiding the log window,
but "closing" it makes less sense to me -- sure, I could just use the
keyboard shortcut but then I'd have to learn it first ;-)
- no more terminal frame (unlike LilyPondTool, where the "log window"
may be used as a terminal emulator).
- no more integrated file browser (the "documents" frame isn't half as useful)
- the new "Compile but don't save" behavior is quite surprising (and
I've found myself loosing more than one score because of it). I'm not
saying it's bad or absurd, it's just unexpected (and should be
optional IMO).
- the intelligent-indenting awesomeness now looks a bit less
intelligent. (Where's my Ctrl-I?)
- the PDF preview offers less features than before (thanks to the kpdf
component I could just select an area with the right-button and copy
it as an image).
- the MIDI player looks gorgeous (but I never use it).
- the Preferences window has more colors and icons, but somehow feels
less complete (a lot of the old one was Kate's preferences, where you
could fine-tune your level of indenting, etc.)

That being said, there still are a lot of nice touches and
afterthoughts that embody the "Frescobaldi spirit" and show how
generously and intelligently you care about your users' every need or
whim: snippets, special chars, "run LilyPond with English messages",
etc. It's so brillantly thought it's disarming.

> Many things are high on the TODO list, and all the needed
> infrastructure is already there:

> - folding in editor

I'd definitely put _that_ one on top of the list. Kate's display of
nested blocks in the colored gutter was _very_ good and convenient.
(And beautiful to look at. :-)

Now, I can't wait to see a Windows and Mac port (that could embed a
ready-to-run LilyPond distribution, by the way)!

Good luck -- you know where to find me if you need any French
translation (although, quite frankly, I've been feeling a bit
discouraged when seeing the subpar work of other contributors to your
fr.po file).

Cheers,
Valentin.

Francisco Vila

Mar 13, 2012, 8:16:53 PM3/13/12
to fresc...@googlegroups.com, Wilbert Berendsen, lilypo...@gnu.org
I did not use (or do not remember to) the KDE version and do not
'miss' all those things, but

2012/3/13 Valentin Villenave <vale...@villenave.net>:

> - aesthetically speaking, the difference is huge and the interface
> looks a lot less pretty (pinkish background in the PDF preview: wtf?).

I think this is a matter of default settings and easily adjustable.

> - the source code window sports less pleasant colors (plain
> blue/red/black instead of KDE's pastel tones).

Same.

> - the search function is now just that: no search&replace.

Ctrl+H or Edit-> Replace

> - no more terminal frame (unlike LilyPondTool, where the "log window"
> may be used as a terminal emulator).

Well there is a terminal in tools menu.

> - the new "Compile but don't save" behavior is quite surprising (and
> I've found myself loosing more than one score because of it). I'm not
> saying it's bad or absurd, it's just unexpected (and should be
> optional IMO).

It is, go to LilyPond Preferences and set Save If Possible.

> - the intelligent-indenting awesomeness now looks a bit less
> intelligent. (Where's my Ctrl-I?)

I have configured Ctrl-Alt-I for tools->Indent and everything indents
nicely at a keystroke

> - the PDF preview offers less features than before (thanks to the kpdf
> component I could just select an area with the right-button and copy
> it as an image).

I can do that with current version.

> Now, I can't wait to see a Windows and Mac port (that could embed a
> ready-to-run LilyPond distribution, by the way)!

Are we talking about the same program? There's been a Windows port for
a time now. I gave a talk for my colleagues and installed Fresco+Lily
in minutes for all.

Cheers,
--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com

Valentin Villenave

Mar 14, 2012, 6:20:52 AM3/14/12
to Francisco Vila, fresc...@googlegroups.com, Wilbert Berendsen, lilypo...@gnu.org
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 1:16 AM, Francisco Vila <pacon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this is a matter of default settings and easily adjustable.

It probably is (not sure about the PDF background, though); I was just
testifying about the "first-look" appearance, with default colors.

> Ctrl+H or Edit-> Replace

Indeed. Since it wasn't to be found where I was used to, I overlooked it.
(It's Ctrl-R on my distro.)

> Well there is a terminal in tools menu.

Ditto. (Still can't find it in 2.0.2, it must be a recent addition.)

> It is, go to LilyPond Preferences and set Save If Possible.

Oh, yet another thing Wilbert had already thought of. (I had seen this
option but didn't quite understand it before.)

>> - the PDF preview offers less features than before (thanks to the kpdf
>> component I could just select an area with the right-button and copy
>> it as an image).
>
> I can do that with current version.

I stand corrected. (I guess I hadn't even tried as soon as I saw it
wasn't KDE's PDF component anymore...)

> Are we talking about the same program? There's been a Windows port for
> a time now. I gave a talk for my colleagues and installed Fresco+Lily
> in minutes for all.

Nice. (Wilbert should definitely provide self-contained Lily+Fresco
bundles, that has the potential to be a huge success!)

Okay then, I guess I'll have to go and write a new review for the LilyReport :-)

Thanks for your reply,
Valentin.

Ryan Kavanagh

Mar 14, 2012, 6:53:10 AM3/14/12
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 08:07:41PM +0100, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> Good luck -- you know where to find me if you need any French
> translation (although, quite frankly, I've been feeling a bit
> discouraged when seeing the subpar work of other contributors to your
> fr.po file).

I've been meaning to say something about this. Although Frescobaldi
isn't a KDE project, it would be nice if we could be somewhat consistent
with them (or at least consistent with ourselves throughout
Frescobaldi). In particular, could everybody translating to French
please, at the very least, run pology to do spell checking, set
unbreakable spaces, ensure consistency, etc? Instructions for doing so
can be found here[0] on the KDE francophone website. Similarly, other
resources that should be of value in gaining consistency are the
dictionnary[1] and grammar guide[2].

An example output of 'pology check_rules fr.po' (up to date as of now)
is attached to this email. Note that when run interactively, pology
makes use of your terminal's colour capabilities to highlight problems /
make the output more readable.

Best wishes,
Ryan

[0] http://fr.l10n.kde.org/pology.php
[1] http://fr.l10n.kde.org/dict/
[2] http://fr.l10n.kde.org/grammaire.php

--
|_)|_/ Ryan Kavanagh | GnuPG key
| \| \ http://ryanak.ca/ | 4A11C97A

fr.pology
signature.asc

Francisco Vila

Mar 14, 2012, 7:32:40 AM3/14/12
to Valentin Villenave, fresc...@googlegroups.com, Wilbert Berendsen, lilypo...@gnu.org
2012/3/14 Valentin Villenave <vale...@villenave.net>:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 1:16 AM, Francisco Vila <pacon...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think this is a matter of default settings and easily adjustable.
>
> It probably is (not sure about the PDF background, though);

Attached. :-)

fresco-pink.png

Janek Warchoł

Mar 14, 2012, 7:45:40 AM3/14/12
to Wilbert Berendsen, Valentin Villenave, fresc...@googlegroups.com, lilypo...@gnu.org
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Wilbert Berendsen <wbs...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Please let me know the things you miss most! Note that F2 is only
> (roughly) one year old and really written from scratch, the first commit
> is of Nov 11, 2012. I intend to keep developing and adding new
> features. I think the current technical infrastructure and code setup is
> very nice.

I miss:
- superb look of the previous version. It was really pro and when i
saw it i instantly knew that Frescobaldi is a great tool. Not every
program is a joy to /look at/ :)
- tabs on sides and bottom - it would be great to combine tabs and
movable frames.

I also liked menu layout a lot (i fell in love with Frescobaldi when i
wanted to change something and went straightly to Settings->Configure
Frescobaldi->the thing i wanted. It was uber cool and fully
intuitive; much better than LilyPondTool UI).

>> - the new "Compile but don't save" behavior is quite surprising (and
>> I've found myself loosing more than one score because of it). I'm not
>> saying it's bad or absurd, it's just unexpected (and should be
>> optional IMO).
>

> It is, go to LilyPond Preferences and set Save If Possible.

maybe this should be the default? (IIUC how this works)

> Many things are high on the TODO list, and all the needed
> infrastructure is already there:

Out of things you mentioned, i'm interested in two:

> - folding in editor

that's truly a must-have.

> - editing through the Music View (i.e. drag objects to attach them to
> another note or to insert offset overrides)

that'd be great! If you make it possible to tweak slurs via pdf
preview (showing some Bezier curve handles to manipulate) it would be
an instant killer feature!

cheers,
Janek

James

Mar 14, 2012, 8:02:10 AM3/14/12
to Janek Warchoł, Wilbert Berendsen, fresc...@googlegroups.com, lilypo...@gnu.org
Hello,

2012/3/14 Janek Warchoł <janek.l...@gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Wilbert Berendsen <wbs...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> Please let me know the things you miss most! Note that F2 is only
>> (roughly) one year old and really written from scratch, the first commit
>> is of Nov 11, 2012. I intend to keep developing and adding new
>> features. I think the current technical infrastructure and code setup is
>> very nice.
>
> I miss:

https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/issues

This is where you need to put this stuff, so Wilbert can keep track of it.

James

Wilbert Berendsen

Mar 14, 2012, 8:18:47 AM3/14/12
to fresc...@googlegroups.com, vale...@villenave.net, lilypo...@gnu.org
Hi all,

Thanks go to Valentin for taking the time for a consise first
review :-) Here are some answers to questions and additions.

Also note that F2 is only one year old and should be developed further,
I think it has a very solid code foundation right now with Python and
Qt4. :)

Op Tue, 13 Mar 2012 20:07:41 +0100
Valentin Villenave <vale...@villenave.net> schreef:

> - aesthetically speaking, the difference is huge and the interface

> looks a lot less pretty (pinkish background in the PDF preview: wtf?).

This can be adjusted (of course :-) although I'm all in favor of a
better default value!

> - the source code window sports less pleasant colors (plain
> blue/red/black instead of KDE's pastel tones).

The default colors can be changed. I based my colors on the KDE ones,
but I probably used to have a different color scheme in KDE :-)

There is theme support for the color scheme. But I probably should
implement importing/exporting schemes, so some nice color schemes could
make it to the Frescobaldi website!

> - the search function is now just that: no search&replace.

There is Edit->Replace. It also support regular expressions and
replacing in the selection.

> - no more tabs on the side and the bottom: making frames
> appear/disappear is a lot less intuitive: you have to **close**
> frames, not merely **hide** them (I was used to hiding the log window,
> but "closing" it makes less sense to me -- sure, I could just use the
> keyboard shortcut but then I'd have to learn it first ;-)

Yes the tabs were nice, but the Qt-provided dock widgets are more
flexible in layout: you can drag the tools in rows or columns, or drop
one tool on another to make a tabbed tool view.

> - no more terminal frame (unlike LilyPondTool, where the "log window"
> may be used as a terminal emulator).

There is a command Tools->Open Command Prompt that opens a terminal
window in the correct directory. But a built-in console could be
implemented, maybe even combining a operating system shell and a Python
shell to test new Frescobaldi features.

> - no more integrated file browser (the "documents" frame isn't half
> as useful)

A filebrowser would certainly be nice. Currently I just use Ctrl+O :)
and also the Sessions menu.

> - the new "Compile but don't save" behavior is quite surprising (and
> I've found myself loosing more than one score because of it). I'm not
> saying it's bad or absurd, it's just unexpected (and should be
> optional IMO).

This behaviour is the same as in Frescobaldi 1, but you can force
Frescobaldi to save a document first by checking the "Save
document if possible" option in the LilyPond preferences. This saves
the document if it is modified and has already a filename.

> - the intelligent-indenting awesomeness now looks a bit less
> intelligent. (Where's my Ctrl-I?)

Tab and Shift-tab handle the indent, Ctrl+I inserts a plain Tab.

To keep Frescobaldi simple its indenting defaults to the
LilyPond-recommended way of indenting. But you can override the
behaviour by placing document variables in the document (see
manual->editor->document variables).

> - the PDF preview offers less features than before (thanks to the kpdf
> component I could just select an area with the right-button and copy
> it as an image).

I put much love in the PDF view to make it better than the old one (I
hope ;-) You can copy images: drag a square with the right button or
Shift-left button, and then choose "Copy to Image" in the context menu
or the Edit menu. It even copies images in a specified DPI setting,
instead of the current scale! You can drag both the image or the
image's file, and also specify the antialiasing, background color
(which in the "Copy to Image" dialog defaults to white :-) and whether
to auto-crop the image.

And did you notice the magnifying glass? Ctrl+Click in the Music View!

The old pdf view did not support finding point and click objects (due to
Okular limitations), but the new one has: Ctrl+J highlights the object
the text cursor is at.

> - the MIDI player looks gorgeous (but I never use it).

It has some nice features: it displays the current measure number and
the time. You can quickly find music by dragging the timer knob.

> - the Preferences window has more colors and icons, but somehow feels
> less complete (a lot of the old one was Kate's preferences, where you
> could fine-tune your level of indenting, etc.)

I tried to make the config pages simple and not too crowded. But I think
an 'Editor' page is needed, with settings related to editing behaviour,
indenting etc.

> That being said, there still are a lot of nice touches and
> afterthoughts that embody the "Frescobaldi spirit" and show how
> generously and intelligently you care about your users' every need or
> whim: snippets, special chars, "run LilyPond with English messages",
> etc. It's so brillantly thought it's disarming.

Please take a look at the snippets manager, it is quite powerful and
also powers the File->New from template menu. It has support for python
scripts as well and some nice default snippets. A larger library could
be put on the Frescobaldi website.

Snippets enable a fast workflow: they can have a mnemonic (e.g. Ctrl+T,
mnemonic, Enter) or even a keyboard shortcut.

Snippets also power the Insert menu.

> > Many things are high on the TODO list, and all the needed
> > infrastructure is already there:
> > - folding in editor
>
> I'd definitely put _that_ one on top of the list. Kate's display of
> nested blocks in the colored gutter was _very_ good and convenient.
> (And beautiful to look at. :-)

yes, folding and even a VI-like mode are quite high on the todo list.

> Now, I can't wait to see a Windows and Mac port (that could embed a
> ready-to-run LilyPond distribution, by the way)!

There is: see www.frescobaldi.org/download . The Windows installer
works very well! I have no Mac to test and build a Mac installer.
But users are using Frescobaldi on Mac OS X and it works.

> Good luck -- you know where to find me if you need any French
> translation (although, quite frankly, I've been feeling a bit
> discouraged when seeing the subpar work of other contributors to your
> fr.po file).

Yes there are many French translators, and I can't see which which
translations are the best. It would be nice if someone with good
understanding of LilyPond and Frescobaldi and translating desktop
applications could 'govern' the French translation :-)

Thanks for all the (highly valued!) feedback!

With sincere regards,

Janek Warchoł

Mar 14, 2012, 9:07:06 AM3/14/12
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Wilbert Berendsen <wbs...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> And did you notice the magnifying glass? Ctrl+Click in the Music View!

Very cool!
May i suggest making it's default settings 600 px wide and 350% zoom?

cheers,
Janek

Wilbert Berendsen

Mar 14, 2012, 9:32:35 AM3/14/12
to fresc...@googlegroups.com, janek.l...@gmail.com, lilypo...@gnu.org
Op Wed, 14 Mar 2012 14:07:06 +0100
Janek Warchoł <janek.l...@gmail.com> schreef:

> Very cool!
> May i suggest making it's default settings 600 px wide and 350% zoom?

What is a nice magnifier size and scale depends on the screen size. I
use Frescobaldi on an Asus EEEPC with 1024*600 :) So I think one must
just go once through the Frescobaldi settings pages and hack it all up
to your liking :)

With best!

Wilbert Berendsen

Mar 14, 2012, 10:58:20 AM3/14/12
to fresc...@googlegroups.com, vale...@villenave.net, lilypo...@gnu.org
Op Wed, 14 Mar 2012 13:18:47 +0100
Wilbert Berendsen <wbs...@xs4all.nl> schreef:

> > - no more integrated file browser (the "documents" frame isn't half

> > as useful)
>
> A filebrowser would certainly be nice. Currently I just use Ctrl+O :)
> and also the Sessions menu.

Replying to self: Frescobaldi 1.2 had no filebrowser; you probably are
thinking of the Kate filebrowser back in the old days when LilyKDE
(Frescobaldi's predecessor) was a Kate plugin.

But I have been thinking of adding a fileview of the current document's
directory, where clicking a .LY file would open it, and
clicking PDF's or MIDI's would open them. This would ease dragging
files out of Frescobaldi. Although you can also drag the PDF or MIDI
just by dragging the icon from the toolbar or MIDI player.

Valentin Villenave

Mar 15, 2012, 7:17:36 PM3/15/12
to Wilbert Berendsen, fresc...@googlegroups.com, lilypo...@gnu.org
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Wilbert Berendsen <wbs...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Tab and Shift-tab handle the indent, Ctrl+I inserts a plain Tab.

Yeah, I think Ctrl-I as in "re-indent the selected part" was a
LilyPondTool/jEdit thing.

Speaking of confusing shortcuts: Ctrl-D used to mean "comment this
line" (that's the default in Kate I think), now it means "Delete" ->
I've inadvertently lost a few lines because of that :-)

> To keep Frescobaldi simple its indenting defaults to the
> LilyPond-recommended way of indenting. But you can override the
> behaviour by placing document variables in the document (see
> manual->editor->document variables).

Wow. Wouldn't have thought of that.

> I put much love in the PDF view to make it better than the old one (I
> hope ;-) You can copy images: drag a square with the right button or
> Shift-left button, and then choose "Copy to Image" in the context menu
> or the Edit menu. It even copies images in a specified DPI setting,
> instead of the current scale! You can drag both the image or the
> image's file, and also specify the antialiasing, background color
> (which in the "Copy to Image" dialog defaults to white :-) and whether
> to auto-crop the image.

OK. I had missed the menu entry.

> And did you notice the magnifying glass? Ctrl+Click in the Music View!

I did not. I only used Ctrl-mousewheel (it wouldn't have occured to me ;)

> The old pdf view did not support finding point and click objects (due to
> Okular limitations), but the new one has: Ctrl+J highlights the object
> the text cursor is at.

Yes, that must be the most welcome new feature.

Plus, since I rarely have a mouse (I'm running ratpoison these days),
I've come to realize that Frescobaldi can be easily be controlled with
the keyboard only!

> I tried to make the config pages simple and not too crowded. But I think
> an 'Editor' page is needed, with settings related to editing behaviour,
> indenting etc.

That's what I'd be expecting to see, indeed.

> Please take a look at the snippets manager, it is quite powerful and
> also powers the File->New from template menu. It has support for python
> scripts as well and some nice default snippets. A larger library could
> be put on the Frescobaldi website.

Yeah, I should consider using it for quick tuplets and stuff.

> There is: see www.frescobaldi.org/download . The Windows installer
> works very well! I have no Mac to test and build a Mac installer.
> But users are using Frescobaldi on Mac OS X and it works.

Cool. I hope to see a Mac application available for download soon!

> Yes there are many French translators, and I can't see which which
> translations are the best. It would be nice if someone with good
> understanding of LilyPond and Frescobaldi and translating desktop
> applications could 'govern' the French translation :-)

Well, I'd be happy to :-)

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
V.