[ANN] Frescobaldi 2.0 development progress, runs already on Windows

Wilbert Berendsen

May 23, 2011, 5:46:38 AM5/23/11
to fresc...@googlegroups.com, lilypond-user Group
Hi all,

just to update interested people about the progress of Frescobaldi 2.0, and
let you know I managed to get it running on Windows. Testers are welcome :-)
The Frescobaldi 2.0 feature set is far from complete yet, but the basics are
in good shape.

Frescobaldi (dedicated LilyPond text editor) 2.0 is designed to run on all
major platforms and depends only on Python, PyQt4 and Poppler and the poppler-
qt4 python binding. Target 2.0.0 release date is Christmas 2011.

On Linux. Frescobaldi 2.0 already works well. Use Qt4.7, PyQt4.7 or 4.8,
Python 2.6 or 2.7, Poppler and python-poppler-qt4 (from [1]) and git clone
[2]. See the README[3] for what is already functioning and how to use it.

[1] http://python-poppler-qt4.googlecode.com/
[2] git://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi.git
[3] https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/blob/master/README

I have not yet a Windows installer for the popplerqt4 plugin that powers the
PDF preview. It should be compiled from source, together with Poppler itself.
I did not try that yet, but Frescobaldi can run without the PDF preview.

Here is how to test Frescobaldi on Windows:

- Install Git from http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/downloads/list
- Install Python 2.7 from www.python.org
- Install PyQt4 from
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/software/pyqt/download
Note: use the same Python version (2.7 recommended)

- Of course: install LilyPond (latest dev recommended)

- Open Git Bash from the start menu
- Enter commands:
git clone git://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi.git
cd frescobaldi
/c/Python27/python frescobaldi

And voil�! You can edit LilyPond documents and run LilyPond.

To create an installer:
/c/Python27/python setup.py bdist_wininst

Then run the installer (.exe file) from the dist/ directory.
It will even create a Start menu entry!

Windows TODO:
- fix RuntimeError+crash when closing the window via the close button
(File->Quit works well)
- let bdist_wininst create a file association for *.ly to Frescobaldi (how?)
- make an installer for python-poppler-qt4 to get a working PDF preview

best regards,
Wilbert Berendsen

--
Frescobaldi, LilyPond editor for KDE: http://www.frescobaldi.org/

Ted Maciag

May 23, 2011, 10:14:15 AM5/23/11
to Frescobaldi
Hello,

This is super I've been waiting for months for this as I have used
LilyPond in the past with great success. As far as testing goes are
there certain qirks or bugs that you have have on Linux that you are
looking to verify on Windows? I am part of software testing team,
albeit, much different stuff, but still it is software. Let me
know, I'll try to get loaded sometime this week. Thanks very much
for your effort.

Ted

On May 23, 5:46 am, Wilbert Berendsen <i...@frescobaldi.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> just to update interested people about the progress of Frescobaldi 2.0, and
> let you know I managed to get it running on Windows. Testers are welcome :-)
> The Frescobaldi 2.0 feature set is far from complete yet, but the basics are
> in good shape.
>
> Frescobaldi (dedicated LilyPond text editor) 2.0 is designed to run on all
> major platforms and depends only on Python, PyQt4 and Poppler and the poppler-
> qt4 python binding. Target 2.0.0 release date is Christmas 2011.
>
> On Linux. Frescobaldi 2.0 already works well. Use Qt4.7, PyQt4.7 or 4.8,
> Python 2.6 or 2.7, Poppler and python-poppler-qt4 (from [1]) and git clone
> [2]. See the README[3] for what is already functioning and how to use it.
>
> [1]http://python-poppler-qt4.googlecode.com/
> [2] git://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi.git
> [3]https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/blob/master/README
>
> I have not yet a Windows installer for the popplerqt4 plugin that powers the
> PDF preview. It should be compiled from source, together with Poppler itself.
> I did not try that yet, but Frescobaldi can run without the PDF preview.
>
> Here is how to test Frescobaldi on Windows:
>
> - Install Git fromhttp://code.google.com/p/msysgit/downloads/list
> - Install Python 2.7 fromwww.python.org
> - Install PyQt4 fromhttp://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/software/pyqt/download

Federico Bruni

May 23, 2011, 2:52:34 PM5/23/11
to fresc...@googlegroups.com, lilypond-user Group
Great news!

Even better news (for me): finally I can launch Frescobaldi 2, the
problem explained here is solved somehow (maybe some update of Debian
packages):
http://groups.google.com/group/frescobaldi/browse_thread/thread/a80f77e16d13e59d

It looks nice, I'll use it as my default lily editor from now on, even
though I'll miss some features (mainly midi playing and some editor
features like line numbers and the folding/unfolding of sections).

Wait, now point-and-click is "two way" (from source to pdf also), cool!

Thanks!

Il giorno lun, 23/05/2011 alle 11.46 +0200, Wilbert Berendsen ha
scritto:

> And voilá! You can edit LilyPond documents and run LilyPond.

Rodolfo Zitellini

May 23, 2011, 5:03:40 PM5/23/11
to Wilbert Berendsen, fresc...@googlegroups.com, lilypond-user Group
Fantastic!

out of curiosity I tried running Frescobaldi on my mac and after
fiddling a bit wit macports to get native qt4 and poppler, it works
quite well indeed :)

Cheers,
Rodolfo

Wilbert Berendsen

May 24, 2011, 9:52:15 AM5/24/11
to fresc...@googlegroups.com, Ted Maciag
Op maandag 23 mei 2011 schreef Ted:

> This is super I've been waiting for months for this as I have used
> LilyPond in the past with great success. As far as testing goes are
> there certain qirks or bugs that you have have on Linux that you are
> looking to verify on Windows? I am part of software testing team,
> albeit, much different stuff, but still it is software. Let me
> know, I'll try to get loaded sometime this week. Thanks very much
> for your effort.

Well, I have an old WinXP laptop which I used to get Frescobaldi running on
Windoze. It would be nice if there were users running F. on windows wo can
help test everything, find bugs etc.

Rodolfo Zitellini

May 24, 2011, 9:58:01 AM5/24/11
to Wilbert Berendsen, fresc...@googlegroups.com, lilypond-user Group, robert....@web.de, ma...@mouries.net
Hi all!
This is roughly what I did:

1) I already had a working macports installation with some very basic
libs (www.macports.org), and I already had python 2.7 installed
2) I installed qt 4.7 w/bindings: sudo port install py27-pyqt4
This downloaded and compiled qt4 - qt4-mac

With this setup, the Frescobaly run, but without pdf preview, so I
installed poppler
sudo port install poppler +quartz +qt4

and the python interface compiled:
cd python-poppler-qt4-0.16.2
python2.7 setup.py build
sudo python2.7 setup.py install

to start Frescobaldi I did:

git clone git://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi.git
cd frescobaldi/

python2.7 frescobaldi

Ciao!
Rodolfo