KMid is required?

Federico Bruni

Jan 5, 2011, 11:01:48 AM1/5/11
to Frescobaldi support
Today I've compiled Frescobaldi 2.0 on my Debian Squeeze.
Compilation was smoooth, with no warning.

Then I noticed that midi player didn't work anymore and I got a message
similar to:
"could not load the KMid part... KMid 2.4 or higher is required"

I use to let the midi path in the Preferences empty, so Frescobaldi uses
the default midi player (timidity, in my system).
But it seems that now I need KMid to get it working. Is it correct?

In INSTALL file I can see that KMid is recommended, not required.
But if KMid is required to make the Play button work, then I would say
it is more than recommended.

Also, it took me some time finding the right package: kdemultimedia.
In fact:
# aptitude search kmid
i kmidimon

So I had to make a search on the web..
Maybe you can add the name of the package in the INSTALL file?

Finally, as Frescobaldi is going to remove the KDE dependencies (great
news for me), why KMid?
New kde dependencies:

# aptitude install kdemultimedia
dragonplayer{a} juk{a} kde-config-cddb{a} kdemultimedia
kdemultimedia-kio-plugins{a} kmix{a} kscd{a} libkcddb4{a}
liblzo2-2{a}
libopenal1{a} libtunepimp5{a} mplayer{a} mplayerthumbs{a}

Thanks,
Federico

Federico Bruni

Jan 6, 2011, 10:36:25 AM1/6/11
to Frescobaldi support
Sorry, let me rephrase the problem...
Now I realize that interface has changed:

- the "Midi player" button on the bottom is for the builtin midi player
(KMid) only
- the Play button on top launches the system-default midi player

So, the Play button works fine.
What is still not working is the builtin midi player. Yes, I'm curious
to test it even if it's KDE :)

Il giorno mer, 05/01/2011 alle 17.01 +0100, Federico Bruni ha scritto:

> Then I noticed that midi player didn't work anymore and I got a message
> similar to:
> "could not load the KMid part... KMid 2.4 or higher is required"

I've tried to recompile it from scratch but I have the same error
message when I clic on Midi player.

I've installed kdemultimedia-dev, then:

su -c 'make uninstall'
make clean
cmake .
make
su -c 'make install'

What I'm missing?
Thanks in advance,
Federico

Wilbert Berendsen

Jan 6, 2011, 3:30:57 PM1/6/11
to fresc...@googlegroups.com, Federico Bruni
Op donderdag 06 januari 2011 schreef Federico:

> What is still not working is the builtin midi player. Yes, I'm curious
> to test it even if it's KDE :)

just install KMid (with its kmid_part KPart) 2.4.0 or higher :-)

best regards,
Wilbert Berendsen

--
Frescobaldi, LilyPond editor for KDE: http://www.frescobaldi.org/

Federico Bruni

Jan 7, 2011, 4:02:30 AM1/7/11
to Wilbert Berendsen, fresc...@googlegroups.com
Il giorno gio, 06/01/2011 alle 21.30 +0100, Wilbert Berendsen ha
scritto:

> Op donderdag 06 januari 2011 schreef Federico:
>
> > What is still not working is the builtin midi player. Yes, I'm
> curious
> > to test it even if it's KDE :)
>
> just install KMid (with its kmid_part KPart) 2.4.0 or higher :-)

It's not so easy in Debian Squeeze right now.

According to KMid website
http://developer.kde.org/~larrosa/kmid.html#download

it should be in the kdemultimedia package.
But I don't have /usr/bin/kmid

So I found out that kmid is not currently packaged in debian squeeze
(it's in lenny only... and probably it's an old version):

http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=names&suite=all&section=all&keywords=kmid
http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kde/471376-rfp-kmid2.html

I guess that it will be added in the future... but not so soon, as
squeeze is frozen.
After a lot of search I found the sources:
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=116404

Now it works... and it's really cool!

Cheers,
Federico

Wilbert Berendsen

Jan 7, 2011, 4:04:56 AM1/7/11
to Federico Bruni, fresc...@googlegroups.com
Op vrijdag 07 januari 2011 schreef Federico:

> After a lot of search I found the sources:
> http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=116404
>
> Now it works... and it's really cool!

Nice!

Doug Laidlaw

Jan 10, 2011, 5:31:58 AM1/10/11
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 08:04:56 pm Wilbert Berendsen wrote:
> Op vrijdag 07 januari 2011 schreef Federico:
> > After a lot of search I found the sources:
> > http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=116404
> >
> > Now it works... and it's really cool!
>
> Nice!
>

> best regards,
> Wilbert Berendsen

Since Mandriva is going to one release a year, and that not for a while, I
will try that too -- when I can connect!

Doug.