Tracker/Frames problem

Chris Darkfire

Jun 9, 2001, 3:14:49 PM6/9/01
I've just put a tracker program (extreme tracking) on one of my pages
(www.darkfire.co.uk) to give me some stats. But the problem is that as
I use frames on the opening page the tracker says that all my visitors
come from (www.darkfire.co.uk) whcih makes sense but makes some of my
stats meaningless.

Is there a way around this other than having a splash intro page with
no frames or using other non-frame layouts. Putting the code in the
frameset page isn't an option as the tracker is free and has to be
displayed.

Any suggestions welcome

CHRIS
Next Gig / DJ details /Reviews -
http://www.darkfire.co.uk / http://www.penguinsclub.co.uk
Technical Newsgroup? Please respond to group not me.

John Ryan

Jun 9, 2001, 3:49:12 PM6/9/01
On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 19:14:49 GMT, ch...@darkPOKERfire.co.uk (Chris
Darkfire) wrote:

>I've just put a tracker program (extreme tracking) on one of my pages
>(www.darkfire.co.uk) to give me some stats. But the problem is that as
>I use frames on the opening page the tracker says that all my visitors
>come from (www.darkfire.co.uk) whcih makes sense but makes some of my
>stats meaningless.
>
>Is there a way around this other than having a splash intro page with
>no frames or using other non-frame layouts. Putting the code in the
>frameset page isn't an option as the tracker is free and has to be
>displayed.
>
>Any suggestions welcome

Put the prog on the main page of the entry page to the site.
For example if your Frameset points to abc.html as the main page on
the entry Frameset to the site, then put the tracker in the main.html
page.

HTH

John Ryan
http://www.ryanbus.co.uk - Ryan Business Communications Ltd
http://www.hong-kong-buses.co.uk - Hong Kong Buses
http://www.model-bus-fed.org.uk - MBF Webmaster
http://www.bside90.freeserve.co.uk - Bside90 (Essex Buses)

Chris Darkfire

Jun 10, 2001, 7:18:51 AM6/10/01
On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 19:49:12 GMT, jo...@bside90.freeserve.co.uk (John
Ryan) scribbled with virtual crayon:
<Tracker problem>

>Put the prog on the main page of the entry page to the site.
>For example if your Frameset points to abc.html as the main page on
>the entry Frameset to the site, then put the tracker in the main.html
>page.

index.htm calls left.htm and right.htm where left is a small
navigation frame and right is teh main page. If I put the tracker in
right then it shows the referring page as index.htm if I put teh
tracker in index.htm then it doesn't display and I've broken the T&Cs
of the company.

See ya

John Ryan

Jun 10, 2001, 8:32:57 AM6/10/01
On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 11:18:51 GMT, ch...@darkPOKERfire.co.uk (Chris
Darkfire) wrote:

>On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 19:49:12 GMT, jo...@bside90.freeserve.co.uk (John
>Ryan) scribbled with virtual crayon:
><Tracker problem>
>>Put the prog on the main page of the entry page to the site.
>>For example if your Frameset points to abc.html as the main page on
>>the entry Frameset to the site, then put the tracker in the main.html
>>page.
>
>index.htm calls left.htm and right.htm where left is a small
>navigation frame and right is teh main page. If I put the tracker in
>right then it shows the referring page as index.htm if I put teh
>tracker in index.htm then it doesn't display and I've broken the T&Cs
>of the company.

In the code for the main page (right.htm) have you changed the entry
page details for the extreme tracker to your main page - right.htm ?).

Chris Darkfire

Jun 10, 2001, 9:16:59 AM6/10/01
On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 12:32:57 GMT, jo...@bside90.freeserve.co.uk (John

Ryan) scribbled with virtual crayon:
>In the code for the main page (right.htm) have you changed the entry
>page details for the extreme tracker to your main page - right.htm ?).
Hi John
Just done that and it seems to work - don't quite understand why but
it works.

Cheers

John Ryan

Jun 10, 2001, 9:28:51 AM6/10/01
On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 13:16:59 GMT, ch...@darkPOKERfire.co.uk (Chris
Darkfire) wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 12:32:57 GMT, jo...@bside90.freeserve.co.uk (John
>Ryan) scribbled with virtual crayon:
>>In the code for the main page (right.htm) have you changed the entry
>>page details for the extreme tracker to your main page - right.htm ?).
>Hi John
>Just done that and it seems to work - don't quite understand why but
>it works.
>
>Cheers

Your welcome Chris.

Basically, your Frameset is viewing three separate web pages at the
same time. So in your case the right.htm page is one of those on entry
to the site. The tracker won't work as you have discovered on the
Frameset htm, but will if used in a separate page that the Frameset
points to. As long as the tracker is aware also of course, which you
have now done ;-)

Stephen Chalmers

Jun 10, 2001, 6:19:01 PM6/10/01

"Chris Darkfire" <ch...@darkPOKERfire.co.uk> wrote in message

By coincidence I have been trying to address this problem myself. The page
containing the counter's code, has to be passed the contents of the index.htm
file's document.referrer variable.

Using javascript to generate the 'frameset' statement, the data can be
appended to the url of the relevant document. For instance, if the counter
were in a file called 'counterframe.htm'

document.write("<frameset rows=105,* border=0><frame src= otherframe.htm
border=0 frameborder=0 scrolling=no><frame src = counterframe.htm?dr="
+document.referrer+ " border=0 frameborder=0></frameset>");

There may be a more correct way to do this, but it seems to work OK on
TheCounter.

HTH
--
Stephen Chalmers

John Ryan

Jun 10, 2001, 8:14:28 PM6/10/01

Have used the method I described earlier on a few Frames sites and it
works every time and avoids the use of JavaScript which some visitors
may have disabled.