RE-Mastering.

stephent

Mar 1, 2001, 3:13:03 AM3/1/01
I'm running a Packard Bell on Windows95.
Is it possible to re-master it with my daughter's boot floppy and master cd
for her machine which runs W98 please?
If so do I need to erase anything off my machine first, or just put in the
disks?
TIA
Steve.

Clifford

Mar 1, 2001, 5:11:22 AM3/1/01

stephent <step...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

If by Re-mastering you mean you want a new clean Win98 installation
then no problem.
make sure you have all the necessary Disks for any programs you want
to re- install as well as the Drivers for you Graphics > Sound card
and
other peripherals.
For a simple practical guide to installation procedures have a look at
this site
http://website.lineone.net/~b_field

good luck

Clifford
Remove "shoe" to reply

stephent

Mar 1, 2001, 5:51:03 AM3/1/01
Thanks Clifford,
If I use the 98boot floppy and the 98 master cd to re-master my current
95machine, will I have difficulty installing all the needed drivers? The
printer, zip etc, I have because I installed them myself.
But what about the components which cam with the machine, like soundcard
etc, would the drivers for these be on the 95cd or is there another way?
Thanks again from a novice!
Steve.

Chris Darkfire

Mar 1, 2001, 6:47:09 AM3/1/01
On Thu, 1 Mar 2001 10:11:22 -0000, "Clifford"
<t_...@onshoeetel.net.uk> scribbled with a virtual crayon

>stephent <step...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I'm running a Packard Bell on Windows95.
>> Is it possible to re-master it with my daughter's boot floppy and
>master cd
>If by Re-mastering you mean you want a new clean Win98 installation
>then no problem.

Other than the fact that it is illegal - you would be breaking the
terms of your daughters license - so she could get into trouble and
you would essentially be stealing software - breaking copyright and
piracy laws.

See ya

CHRIS

Next DJing/Club/Gig/Reviews
http://www.darkfire.co.uk
http://www.penguinsclub.co.uk

Peter Thompson

Mar 1, 2001, 7:00:58 AM3/1/01
> Other than the fact that it is illegal - you would be breaking the
> terms of your daughters license - so she could get into trouble and
> you would essentially be stealing software - breaking copyright and
> piracy laws.
>
> See ya
>
> CHRIS

"Devils Island" for you laddie...
Probably for life.
Daughter to the "Colonies" ...if she's lucky.

stephent

Mar 1, 2001, 6:58:41 AM3/1/01
Christopher,
Do you work for Microsoft? I suggest you look over on the 98 ng.
I hope you weren't talking about something you don't understand, were you?
Regards,
Steve.

Chris Darkfire

Mar 1, 2001, 7:16:47 AM3/1/01
On Thu, 1 Mar 2001 11:58:41 -0000, "stephent" <step...@ntlworld.com>

scribbled with a virtual crayon
>Do you work for Microsoft?
Nope

> I suggest you look over on the 98 ng.

Why ?

>I hope you weren't talking about something you don't understand, were you?

Nope - I know what I am talking about W98 is a *single* user license
therefore if you have it on two machines you are breaking the terms of
the license and as such putting yourself and the owner of the original
copy at risk of prosecution.

Up to you whether you do it or not I was just pointing out the
inherent dangers and illegallity of it.

stephent

Mar 1, 2001, 7:43:42 AM3/1/01
Will I be allowed to keep my fingernails?

Clifford

Mar 1, 2001, 9:23:11 AM3/1/01

stephent <step...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Unless you are extremely unlucky you will find that Win98 Cd
contains all the drivers that you need for Graphics and Sound.
and will install them for you.
The Printer drivers for win95 will propably be OK in 98.
but you can always download from web if you need to upgrade.
Clifford.

Richard Lindley

Mar 1, 2001, 1:51:46 PM3/1/01
In article <hwnn6.71$2c2....@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>,
step...@ntlworld.com said
> Steve.#
<also sent by mail>
Simple answer. No

Packard bell employ a system where a computer has 'Hidden Sector'
information stored on the hard drive which tell the computer that it is
a packard bell, and what master CD it can use.

The older machine will have little of no information written onto the
hard drive, however it will be a little different for the Windows 98
machine.

The 98 machine has a hidden sector on the hard drive that contains
information on the system serial number, part number and software build.
It also has in the same hidden sector a list of the hard ware in the
system which then tell the remaster process what drivers to copy over.
This information is also copied to the DMI in the BIOS, where it is
stored permanatly.
The recovery precess checks that both the hidden sector on the hard
drive and the one in the DMI bios are present and matching before it
will allow remaster.

You can try it on the old machine but you will get a message such as
'This computer has no valid information' or 'Not a valid computer' and
then be dropped out to dos.

Cheers

--
Richard (The Sane)
Never run out of Altitude, Airspeed and Ideas all at the same time

Grimly Fiendish

Mar 1, 2001, 3:53:50 PM3/1/01

"stephent" <step...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
I've overwritten a PB machine before with no problems, if you do it thias
way you will still have the existing drivers to use for the sound etc.
However as Chris said what you are doing infringes the License agreement,
which you obviously have'nt read or understood otherwise you would not have
made the comment you did to Chris.
I suggest you DO read it.

Richard

Mar 1, 2001, 4:16:57 PM3/1/01
In article <97mdd4$j58$1...@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>,
Al...@sexfiend.fsnet.co.uk said

What age PB machine?

Grimly Fiendish

Mar 1, 2001, 5:16:32 PM3/1/01

"Richard (The Sane)" <ric...@SANITYmisrule.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
message news:MPG.1508cca81...@news.freeserve.net...

> In article <97mdd4$j58$1...@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>,
> Al...@sexfiend.fsnet.co.uk said
> >
> > "stephent" <step...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>
> What age PB machine?
>
> --
> Richard (The Sane)
> Never run out of Altitude, Airspeed and Ideas all at the same time
> (Take away my SANITY to reply)

Dunno, can't remember, it was a year or two ago, i'm not looking for an
argument y'know just said i did one ok thats all.

John

Richard

Mar 1, 2001, 5:28:56 PM3/1/01
In article <97mhmv$qd1$1...@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>,
Al...@sexfiend.fsnet.co.uk said
S'okay, I'm not looking for an arguement either. I was just curious, cos
it is technically impossible to do it!! (unless one was not set up
right)

Alan®

Mar 1, 2001, 5:10:56 PM3/1/01

Wouldn't FDISK sort that out. I've installed the same Win98 CD on several
systems (using different license numbers, restoring friends PCs who didn't
get a Win98 cd with their new systems) without any problems.

Alan

Alan®

Mar 1, 2001, 5:07:26 PM3/1/01

"Chris Darkfire" <ch...@darkfire.co.uk.NOSPAMPLAESE> wrote in message

> >I hope you weren't talking about something you don't understand, were
you?
> Nope - I know what I am talking about W98 is a *single* user license
> therefore if you have it on two machines you are breaking the terms of
> the license and as such putting yourself and the owner of the original
> copy at risk of prosecution.
>
> Up to you whether you do it or not I was just pointing out the
> inherent dangers and illegallity of it.
>
> See ya
>
> CHRIS
>
> Next DJing/Club/Gig/Reviews
> http://www.darkfire.co.uk
> http://www.penguinsclub.co.uk

I have 1 copy of Moby's Play CD, but I have 4 CD players in the house.

Do I need to buy 4 copies of the CD, 1 for each CD player, or can I play the
one copy on all players?

See what I'm getting at?

I'm sure Mr Gates won't miss the £70 for the win95 to win98 upgrade license

Alan

Richard

Mar 1, 2001, 5:41:31 PM3/1/01
In article <t9tjje5...@corp.supernews.co.uk>, interCHOPPEDzonePORK55
@ANDhotmailHAM.com said
Nope, you can only get rid of it with debug. It is not a hidden
partition, just a hidden sector. It is not too big either, just a couple
of Kb.
The packard bell remaster does not use a win98 CD, but a product
recovery CD.

Chris Game

Mar 2, 2001, 4:29:19 AM3/2/01
In an earlier post, Alan® said.....

> I have 1 copy of Moby's Play CD, but I have 4 CD players in the house.
>
> Do I need to buy 4 copies of the CD, 1 for each CD player, or can I play the
> one copy on all players?
>
> See what I'm getting at?

Can you run the single copy on all players at the same time?

See what I'm getting at?

Chris Game <chri...@bigfoot.com>

Chris Darkfire

Mar 2, 2001, 4:52:56 AM3/2/01
On Thu, 1 Mar 2001 22:07:26 -0000, "Alan®"
<interCHOPPE...@ANDhotmailHAM.com> scribbled with virtual
crayon:

>I have 1 copy of Moby's Play CD, but I have 4 CD players in the house.
Good album I commend your taste in music unfortunately it is not as
good as your understanding of law...

>Do I need to buy 4 copies of the CD, 1 for each CD player, or can I play the
>one copy on all players?

If you want to play all four simultaneously (Like the poster wantsed
to do with his W98) then you will need four copies - so you need to
wander off back down to the shop and buy four more (or you could
illegally copy the disk). If you move it around then fine - one copy
is enough. The poster wanted to run it on his machine and his
daughters at the same time.

See ya

CHRIS

Next Gig / DJ details /Reviews -
http://www.darkfire.co.uk
http://www.penguinsclub.co.uk
Don't forget the Fish for the Penguin on the 10th March

ROS402dn

Mar 2, 2001, 9:42:37 AM3/2/01
In message <MPG.1508e07ae...@news.freeserve.net>

Richard (The Sane) <ric...@SANITYmisrule.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <t9tjje5...@corp.supernews.co.uk>, interCHOPPEDzonePORK55
> @ANDhotmailHAM.com said
> >
> > > <also sent by mail>
> > > Simple answer. No
> > >
> > > Packard bell employ a system where a computer has 'Hidden Sector'
> > > information stored on the hard drive which tell the computer that it is
> > > a packard bell, and what master CD it can use.
> > >
> > > The older machine will have little of no information written onto the
> > > hard drive, however it will be a little different for the Windows 98
> > > machine.
> > >
> > > The 98 machine has a hidden sector on the hard drive that contains
> > > information on the system serial number, part number and software build.
> > > It also has in the same hidden sector a list of the hard ware in the
> > > system which then tell the remaster process what drivers to copy over.
> > > This information is also copied to the DMI in the BIOS, where it is
> > > stored permanatly.
> > > The recovery precess checks that both the hidden sector on the hard
> > > drive and the one in the DMI bios are present and matching before it
> > > will allow remaster.
> > >
> > > You can try it on the old machine but you will get a message such as
> > > 'This computer has no valid information' or 'Not a valid computer' and
> > > then be dropped out to dos.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >

> > > Richard (The Sane)

> > Wouldn't FDISK sort that out. I've installed the same Win98 CD on several
> > systems (using different license numbers, restoring friends PCs who
> > didn't get a Win98 cd with their new systems) without any problems.
> >
> Nope, you can only get rid of it with debug. It is not a hidden
> partition, just a hidden sector. It is not too big either, just a couple
> of Kb.
> The packard bell remaster does not use a win98 CD, but a product
> recovery CD.

So if you use a 'virgin' w98 install floppy/CD then by using FDISK on the
HDD and then Installing it should be quite OK, if not, then dump the stupid
Packard Bell machine and get a decent one instead.

And if PB do use 'hidden sectors' on the HDD, that would mean that the only
way of upping the HDD size would be by getting a new drive presetup by PB,
sounds a bit stupid to me, as they would have to know about EVERY piece of
hardware attached to the machine, which cards are in which slots, etc.
totally unworkable.

Darren Northcott
SARPC+ROS4.02 ( a MickeyShaft free zone )

Grimly Fiendish

Mar 2, 2001, 11:41:20 PM3/2/01

"Chris Game" <chri...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> In an earlier post, Alan® said.....
>
> > I have 1 copy of Moby's Play CD, but I have 4 CD players in the house.
> >
> > Do I need to buy 4 copies of the CD, 1 for each CD player, or can I play
the
> > one copy on all players?
> >
> > See what I'm getting at?
>
> Can you run the single copy on all players at the same time?
> See what I'm getting at?
> --
What a fool you are !!

Richard

Mar 6, 2001, 3:21:32 PM3/6/01
In article <aab2fa544a%ne...@sa-rpc-user.fsnet.co.uk>, news@sa-rpc-
user.fsnet.co.uk said

> And if PB do use 'hidden sectors' on the HDD, that would mean that the only
> way of upping the HDD size would be by getting a new drive presetup by PB,
> sounds a bit stupid to me, as they would have to know about EVERY piece of
> hardware attached to the machine, which cards are in which slots, etc.
> totally unworkable.

Only unworkable if PB didn't include all the tools to re-create the
hidden sector on the PB master CD. They are there and usable ny anyone
who hase the relevant knowledge.

There are such things as secondry IDE channels, you know the idea, add a
second drive as slave to the first. Or is that too much to ask?

Ken Fowler

Mar 7, 2001, 1:41:58 PM3/7/01
Much better to leave the c drive alone and add a second larger drive. All
new software can then be located on the new drive apart from a few extra
system files.
It also makes sense to keep all your large photo, video sound files together
with personal files etc on a seperate disc to the operating system for
safety in the event of a major system crash requiring a reformat of the
drive

"Richard (The Sane)" <ric...@SANITYmisrule.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
message news:MPG.150f5726b...@news.freeserve.net...

dean b

Mar 7, 2001, 3:00:32 PM3/7/01
I find this whole thing quite subjective. I agree with your second
paragraph, and install all our PC's at home and at work like this - so
that we can quickly wipe the C drive and reimage/reinstall the OS.
However, you also have to be aware of the different drive speeds - if
your old one is 7,400rpm and your new one is 10,000 rpm then you might
be well advised to use the faster one as your OS drive...but there's
about a million and one different oppions about this.

dean

Ken Fowler

Mar 7, 2001, 3:31:01 PM3/7/01
Just put the swap file in a small partition on the second disk if that is
faster. I have a d drive on my second disk used exclusively for the swap
file and the temporary internet files folder. If all the programs and swap
files are on ythe second disk it surely will make little difference if the c
drive is a little slower. Once the appropriate files are copied once to the
swap file you will get the speed benefit.
"dean b" <ma...@deanburnett.co.uk> wrote in message