Help Senator Dodd Stop it Again

Skip to the first unread message

news.omega

22 Jan 2008, 16:55:3422/01/2008
to freepa...@googlegroups.com

<http://action.aclu.org/site/R?i=nduZK4hzkqEDMcHuQ3xDww..>

fisa flood

Sign our urgent petition to Senator Reid.
<http://action.aclu.org/site/R?i=G7DpGRig-QIuLq_KPD29ZQ..>

At the end of 2007, the principled leadership of Senator Christopher
Dodd stopped Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid from forcing through the
Senate a dangerous and unconstitutional FISA bill written closely with
the Bush administration. What has Harry Reid done since then to forge a
better solution?

Absolutely nothing.

In fact, Senator Reid's plan of action is to bring before the
Senate this week a disastrous Intelligence Committee bill - one that
yields to Bush's demand to retroactively let telecom companies off the
hook for cooperating with warrantless eavesdropping on their customers.

We've only got a few days to convince Harry Reid to change course. The
ACLU's principled demand is simple and straightforward: If it isn't
constitutional, don't let the Senate vote on it.

Sign our urgent petition to Senator Reid.
<http://action.aclu.org/site/R?i=LFYvghUH3I16H2q7GRSq2w..>

What kind of leadership is it to bring a dangerous "give Bush what he
wants" bill before the Senate just to get the issue of warrantless
eavesdropping off the Senate calendar?

If Harry Reid won't lead on this issue by bringing a good bill to the
floor, other senators must. That's why the ACLU is actively encouraging
Senator Dodd and every other member of the Senate to stand for freedom
by standing in the path of the dangerous bill Harry Reid plans to bring
to the floor.

Passing a bad bill - even with a few cosmetic changes - is just plain
wrong. Tell Harry Reid you're sick and tired of the Senate's endless
dithering around on this issue. What's so hard about standing up to a
President whose popularity is sinking like a rock? What's so hard about
standing up for the Constitution?

Sign our urgent petition to Senator Reid.
<http://action.aclu.org/site/R?i=ZaE71SCpYLFYp1mCIAQ1Bw..>

We can't let Congress wear us down on this issue - disappointing us time
and time again until we have no expectation for progress at all. Whether
you've signed a dozen FISA petitions in the last six months or never
acted on this crucial issue, we need you to act now.

I promise you this: With you by our side, the ACLU will work until the
last vote is cast to stop legislation that grants telecom immunity or
allows warrantless wiretapping that violates the Fourth Amendment. And
if our legislators on Capitol Hill won't stand up for the Constitution -
if Congress once again fails freedom - we'll take our challenge to the
courts.

Please stand with us. Tell Harry Reid now that the Senate has no
business voting on a dangerous and unconstitutional bill that lets
law-breakers off the hook and allows spying on Americans without a
warrant. <http://action.aclu.org/site/R?i=2X4RLJmWT1pArqo2lHmvUA..>

Thanks for acting at this critical moment.

Sincerely,

Anthony D. Romero, ACLU
Anthony D. Romero
Executive Director, ACLU

P.S. According to reports from our Washington office, the Senate could
take up a spying bill as early as Wednesday. Once you've signed our
petition, can you follow-up with a phone call to your senators?

Call the Congressional Switchboard at (202) 224-3121.

Urge your senators to oppose any FISA bill with retroactive telecom
immunity and any bill that allows the government to spy on Americans'
phone calls and emails without warrants.

© ACLU, 125 Broad Street, 18th Floor New York, NY 10004

<http://action.aclu.org/site/CO?i=7Bvn3cHgM1dGl1CzaZHom_DKKa0k_k8i&cid=0>