A method of checking Google's translation of IAM for FreeDIams

Jim Busser

Jul 23, 2010, 12:46:06 PM7/23/10
to freeme...@googlegroups.com
For potential future reference (documentation), the FreeDiams iam.db file presently contains multiple relevant columns

risk_fr
management_fr
risk_en
management_en

The easiest free GUI tool that I have so far found to directly inspect sqlite databases has been the Firefox plugin "SQLite Manager" (to which I made, or will make, a donation).

I began by visually checking the raw lines of what had been previously generated through Google translate, and found suboptimal translations that affect multiple records (for example cons-pointer instead of contra-indicated) and thus began creation of a file in which to inventory:

1) any source (_fr) imperfections or typos
2) _en translations that needed improving
3) suggested substitutions

Shorter reference strings allow (risk) to change more records in the "pass" and so each string is best tweaked after deciding whether to make the substitution global (as in the case of single-word strings e.g.
inductor --> inducer
remote --> separately from the

Even so, working in the GUI is tedious but the following approach helped:

1) working with only one pair of fields at a time (as can be achieved using the "Execute SQL" option inside SQLite Manager) -- see screenshot
2) using "select distinct" reduced the strings from 2400 records to 772
3) grabbing the left splitter handle and left-shrinking (minimizing) the database tree viewer
4) resizing the columns to maximize what can be seen of the string of interest
5) for any row whose content needs more examination (e.g. rows whose content is truncated with ellipses … ) click then nudge the cursor to expose the hovering full (tooltip-like) display
6) hover as needed over the source string, without needing to resize the columns
7) right-click "Copy cell" to paste over into the substitution file, and in that file supply the suggested replacement string

Finally, query the table for all occurrences of each of the proposed strings, to proof / guard against unintended consequences of global replacements.

Pfiou this is no small job! :-)

-- Jim

screen-capture.png