Zanzibar

Ron Burk

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98
1968:
John Brunner writes the now classic
_Stand on Zanzibar_

Anyone why this is relevant to this group (besides anarchistic idea of
"free" groups)?

Answer to follow up this messsge.

Ron Burk

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
On Mon, 20 Jul 1998 15:41:09 GMT, ron2...@supernews.com (Ron Burk)
wrote:

Any one actually read the book?

David Voth

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
On Tue, 21 Jul 1998 17:15:49 GMT, ron2...@supernews.com (Ron Burk)
wrote:

It's a MONSTER of a book and I've read it twice: Once at age 16 and
again at 38. I had to beg the owner to borrow it the second time
(same copy I'd read previously in fact; it's now in tatters and kept
in a Ziplock bag).

Regarding relevance, there's so much in that book it's hard to say.

It's one of my favorite books. Obviously HipCrime likes it too,
judging by the references on his Web site.

"Just my sparewheel and me, and shiggy makes three!"

Reverend David Voth, SubGenius
Innkeeper of free.beer
--
Help the Knights of Xenu expose $cientology!
Can you donate your extra CPU cycles?

Ron B.

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
In article <35b54ea4...@news.concentric.net>, dr...@concentric.net wrote:
>On Tue, 21 Jul 1998 17:15:49 GMT, ron2...@supernews.com (Ron Burk)
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 20 Jul 1998 15:41:09 GMT, ron2...@supernews.com (Ron Burk)
>>wrote:
>>
>>>1968:
>>>John Brunner writes the now classic
>>>_Stand on Zanzibar_
>>>
>>>Anyone why this is relevant to this group (besides anarchistic idea of
>>>"free" groups)?
>>>
>>>Answer to follow up this messsge.
>>
>>Any one actually read the book?
>>

>It's a MONSTER of a book and I've read it twice: Once at age 16 and
>again at 38. I had to beg the owner to borrow it the second time
>(same copy I'd read previously in fact; it's now in tatters and kept
>in a Ziplock bag).

Copies can be found in many used bookstores and is still in print.

>Regarding relevance, there's so much in that book it's hard to say.

_Stand On Zanzibar_ Ballantine paperback edition:
P.3 (Read the Directions): This is where the
### First Quotation### from the ficticious book
_The Hipcrime Vocab_ can be found. This book is quoted extensively throughout
"Zanzibar"
Chad C. Mulligan is a major character and the author of "Hipcrime" in the
Brunner novel.

>It's one of my favorite books. Obviously HipCrime likes it too,
>judging by the references on his Web site.
>
>"Just my sparewheel and me, and shiggy makes three!"

(Snip)

Ron B.