New OAuth Endpoint: /oauth/authenticate

Jon Hoffman

Aug 13, 2010, 4:25:39 PM8/13/10
to foursquare API
Hi,

We've added a new option to the oauth flow the should make repeated authorization a bit more seamless for the user. The authorization process requires users to "Allow" or "Deny" your application on the /oauth/authorize endpoint. If a user has already authorized your application, they are still presented with that prompt. That's fine for most apps, as they cache access tokens and don't repeat the flow, but for apps where that is not feasible, or where you want provide a "sign in with foursquare" type functionality, the lack of a streamlined flow is a bit of buzzkill.

The new /oauth/authenticate endpoint serves the same function as /oauth/authorize, but it will auto redirect the user if they've already authorized your app (they will still have to authenticate with foursquare if they're not logged in).

Updated docs here: http://groups.google.com/group/foursquare-api/web/oauth

- Jon

Doug Pfeffer

Aug 13, 2010, 4:34:14 PM8/13/10
to foursqu...@googlegroups.com
That's awesome, thanks!

> --
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/foursquare-api

MultiOSuser

Aug 13, 2010, 4:39:19 PM8/13/10
to foursqu...@googlegroups.com

Does this also work with the mobile site? As in foursquare.com/mobile/oauth/authenticate , or is that not yet implimented?

Jon Hoffman

Aug 13, 2010, 4:41:07 PM8/13/10
to foursqu...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that exists as well.

- Jon

MultiOSuser

Aug 13, 2010, 4:44:47 PM8/13/10
to foursqu...@googlegroups.com

Great :) thanks a ton for all the work you guys do to make the API easier for us to use.

On Aug 13, 2010 3:41 PM, "Jon Hoffman" <j...@foursquare.com> wrote:

Yes, that exists as well.

- Jon

http://groups.google.com/grou...