Specifying the "ll" parameter in checkins/add requests

Akshay Patil

Jun 1, 2011, 5:17:29 PM6/1/11
to foursqu...@googlegroups.com
Party people,

I just pushed a small update to our documentation about the checkin/ad endpoint (https://developer.foursquare.com/docs/checkins/add.html) that I wanted to highlight in the forum.
When submitting a check-in for a user, there's an optional "ll" parameter in the request for the user's latitude and longitude. We weren't very clear about this in the past, but this parameter should represent the user's current location at the time of the check-in, as reported by the device they are currently using.

This means that if your app allows users to check-in via a website (that doesn't use HTML5 to determine their location) or makes a "future check-in" on their behalf, we ask that you do not specify this parameter in your request. It's basically the same as giving us false information about the user's actual location and makes us sad =(.

Thanks!

~ak
--
Akshay Patil / Foursquare Platform Evangelist
@akdotcom / @foursquareapi