Re: [Itpolicy-np] ISPAN launched protest

Pavan S Shakya

Mar 27, 2008, 4:59:08 AM3/27/08
to sal...@gmail.com, itpol...@lahai.com, gro...@nta.gov.np, mem...@ispan.net.np, foss-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Umeshji,

I had posted the following comments in your BLOG (Pahuna Ko Palo) at 5:30 pm on March 26, but to my surprise it has not shown up. However, comments posted after me are there.

I also came to know that a comment from another ICT personality got deleted after a day when he tried to highlight on the issue that is being raised.

I acknowledge that Moderator has every right to "select" the content. But is it justifiable to "block" my content when we are going through such a serious issues OR is it that someone in your circle has "ulterior motive" ?

Don't you think your good name will be listed under yellow journalism and the reputation you have gained as "free blog" gets defamed if such activities continues ?????

A subha chintak of your blog
Pavan

ma bigat 15 barsha dekhi yo ISP sewa ma lageko chhu ra ma worldLink ma kaam garchu. Mero kehi prasna haru chha -- yes mysansar ka bhadra bhaladmi haru lai :

1. Yo forum lai kasle bhanyo ISPs haru le ADSL sewa banda garna muddha diyeko bhanera ?

2. WorldLink lagayat ka ISPs haru le ta hami jasta private operator haru lai pani ADSL sewa prayog garna paunu paryo bhanera mudda hale ka haun.

3. Tapain haru sabai lai thaha chha ki tapain ko ghar ma pugeko copper network Nepal Telecomm ko matrai chha. Jasari tapain haru le dial-up sewa linda service provider choose garne awasar paunu hunchha thik tesari nai ADSL sewa linda pani sohi awasar paunu parchha bhanne hamro main issue ho. Tes bahek yesta sewa ka gunasthar pani Nepal Telecomm Authority le check garnu parchha bhanne hamro manyata ho.

4. Pahile dekhi nai NTC bhaneko sarakari samsthan ho. Usle fiber lyayo India bata, khoi ta hami jasta sewa pradayak lai prayog garna diyeko. Hamile pani uskai bandwidth liyera bechnu parchha tyo pani usle bhaneko price structure ma. Tyo fiber ta Indian Government le Nepal Governhment lai free ma diyeko ho tara NTC le sohi sewa lai Sarkar bata kineko ho....kasailai thaha chha, Nepal Telecomm le sohi fiber ko price kasari rakheko chha bhanera ?

5. Hamile level-playing field khojeko matrai ho. Natra Sarkar le football khelna bolaune tara sarkari team lai chhutai niyan banaune....yo ta bhayena ni ! Tapain haru ko ke chha yesma comment ! Teso ho bhane hami sabai ISP haru ko license kharej gariyos kasailai chitta bujhdaina bhane...hami bholi dekhi nai banda gari dinchhaun.....ani NTC le matrai sewa pradan garos...tapain haru ko chahana yesto ho ?

6. Yadi bhadra bhaladmi haru lai hamile haleko mudda ko proof chahinchha bhane pa...@wlink.com.np ma samparka rakhnu hola, hamro niwedan ko copy pathai dinchhu.

7. Hami le petrolium product haru sasto ma pairaheka chhaun ra natiza aaja ko dekhiyo. Tapain haru pani yestai sewa chahanu hunchha ?

8. ISPs haru le Nepal ko bikas ma purayeko yogdan ko kasaile lekha jokha gareko chha ? Hami pani rural sector ma jana chahanchhaun sarba sulav Internet liyera. Koi chha hami lai policywise support garne ? Hamile hamro total revenue ko 2% gramin doorsanchar bikas kosh ma rakheka chhaun...khoi tyo paisa kahan chha ? Baru NTC le 21 ho ki 22 crore rupaiya payo tes bata, hamro pasina ko kamai bata.

9. ADSL sewa ko price anusar 2 Mbps ko karib 10 hajar parchha ra pahilo phase ma karib 22,500 wata line distribute garne NTC ko yozana chha. Tara yesma data athawa volume capping chhaina. Sabai cyber cafe haru le yestai sewa khapat gare bhane, ke hunchha technical sathi bhai haru afai bichar garnus.

Jai Hos !!
Pavan Shakya

----------------

At 03:55 PM 3/26/2008, Mahesh Pd. Adhikari wrote:
Pavanji,

I am sure you have already had a look at the discussions on introduction of ADSL at the following link;

http://www.mysansar.com/?p=2514

Regards,
Mahesh P Adhikari

On 3/11/08, Pavan S Shakya <pa...@wlink.com.np> wrote:
Its a bad comparison. We are not stopping Internet or do you want us to do it..Kishor Raja Sahib :)
Pavan
At 12:06 PM 3/11/2008, kis...@lahai.com wrote:
>Hello ISPAN
>I think the protest that ISPAN can do is stop the intenet as they did some time back (like HAMRO RAJA). Pavan ji is that the plan ????
>
>Kishor
>
>On 3/11/08, Pavan S Shakya <pa...@wlink.com.np> wrote:
> Thank you Dai for your support. We should work together for the development of ICT in Nepal. Its not only the government who works for
> people, we are there too.
> >
> > Secondly, we must make those come in front and answer to janta who claims to work for janta and ..................
> >
> > Pavan
> >
> > At 06:59 AM 3/11/2008, you wrote:
> > >Hello ISPAN team;
> > >
> > >Go ahead with your protest. I will join if you need my help. My thought is that everybody must be treated fairly and should be given opportunity to survive justily.
> > >
> > >Mahabir

> to NTA

> > >--
> > >Visit http://www.himanchal.org
> >

>--
>######### Kishor #########

Pavan S Shakya

Mar 27, 2008, 6:44:55 AM3/27/08
to sal...@gmail.com, itpol...@lahai.com, foss-...@googlegroups.com, mem...@ispan.net.np, gro...@nta.gov.np
Thanks for your suggestion.

Pavan

At 02:52 PM 3/27/2008, Salokya wrote:
well, this is not mukhpatra of ISPAN, you can keep your statement on your site

thanks for your concern.

Umesh
--
Confidentiality Statement:This message is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain privileged, confidential information which is exempt from disclosure under applicable laws. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that you are strictly prohibited from disseminating or distributing this information (other than to the intended recipient) or copying this information. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by return email.

sarose

Mar 27, 2008, 11:48:26 AM3/27/08
to FOSS Nepal
Welcome Nepal Telecom brining new paradigm of Internet means!

Let me clear that Telecom and ISP are under NTA. NTA decide what is
good for the market..!
You throw away your maag to NTA.

Most welcome MeroMobile, United Telecom...looking forward in the ISP
field.

ISPAN, Why don't you compete with them ? Is those small device are so
scary to you?

You have fluxing muscle, garner from the year longs dominated ISP
business.
You are witty and smart. You know survival skill.

Why don't you compete right away? Start giving hefty discount (ripping
50% out of the current
price will still scream with 80% profit margin..! )

* Piss off your price curtail strategy.
* Think bit farther.
* Create competition.
* Give student discount
* Make internet more affordable!

My 0.1 cent!

--
Sarose
> >><http://www.mysansar.com/?p=2514>http://www.mysansar.com/?p=2514
>
> >>Regards,
> >>Mahesh P Adhikari
>
> >>On 3/11/08, Pavan S Shakya
> >><<mailto:pa...@wlink.com.np>pa...@wlink.com.np> wrote:
> >>Its a bad comparison. We are not stopping Internet or do you want us to
> >>do it..Kishor Raja Sahib :)
> >>Pavan
> >> some time back (like HAMRO RAJA). Pavan ji is that the plan ????

> >> development of ICT in Nepal. Its not only the government who works for

> >> claims to work for janta and ..................

> >> thought is that everybody must be treated fairly and should be given
> >> opportunity to survive justily.

> >> list. What

> >> <<mailto:pa...@wlink.com.np>pa...@wlink.com.np>

> >> actions

bibstha

Mar 28, 2008, 4:49:00 AM3/28/08
to FOSS Nepal
Can we get links to what you are referring to?
According to sarose's post I think this refers to the protest by ISPAN
agains the ADSL connectivity being provided by NTC?

Links please,
> >><http://www.mysansar.com/?p=2514>http://www.mysansar.com/?p=2514
>
> >>Regards,
> >>Mahesh P Adhikari
>
> >>On 3/11/08, Pavan S Shakya
> >><<mailto:pa...@wlink.com.np>pa...@wlink.com.np> wrote:
> >>Its a bad comparison. We are not stopping Internet or do you want us to
> >>do it..Kishor Raja Sahib :)
> >>Pavan
> >> some time back (like HAMRO RAJA). Pavan ji is that the plan ????

> >> development of ICT in Nepal. Its not only the government who works for

> >> claims to work for janta and ..................

> >> thought is that everybody must be treated fairly and should be given
> >> opportunity to survive justily.

> >> list. What

> >> <<mailto:pa...@wlink.com.np>pa...@wlink.com.np>

> >> actions

nepbabu

Mar 28, 2008, 3:39:03 PM3/28/08
to foss-...@googlegroups.com, sal...@gmail.com, itpol...@lahai.com, gro...@nta.gov.np, mem...@ispan.net.np
Thus spoke Pavan S Shakya on Thursday, 27 March 2008 at 14:44:08 +0545:

> Dear Umeshji,
>
> I had posted the following comments in your BLOG (Pahuna Ko Palo) at 5:30
> pm on March 26, but to my surprise it has not shown up. However, comments
> posted after me are there.

Is this really relevent to foss-nepal mailing list?

--
Cheers,
Bikal KC (Please use: nepbababucxspamfree_at_yahoo DOT ca)

Pavan S Shakya

Mar 29, 2008, 7:54:55 AM3/29/08
to nepbabuc...@yahoo.ca, foss-...@googlegroups.com, sal...@gmail.com, itpol...@lahai.com, gro...@nta.gov.np, mem...@ispan.net.np
Dear Bikal KC-ji,

This might not be relevant to FOSS Nepal where we discuss open source
policy and applications but the floor should know what is going on in the
country.

Members of ISPAN, who had introduced Internet in Nepal are being blamed and
few "opportunists" and "ICT broker" are against us and are trying to
provoke the matter with full throttle.

Those who care the development of ICT in Nepal must be aware of such
factors and I am simply trying to create "awareness" through this floor.

The message must be reached to all Nepalese in the Globe that ISPAN and its
members are not trying to stop ADSL technology. Rather we are demanding
impartial treatment and fair competition with the Government owned entity.
Nepal Telecomm wants to avail ADSL technology to its Internet subscribers
ONLY and if this happens, you won't have choice of using other service
providers. What will happen then ?

Copper network is primarily owned by Nepal Telecomm only. ADSL technology
was introduced by Mercantile (MOS) almost four years back. But Nepal
Telecomm did not allow MOS to use this infrastructure.

There are more stories behind which I should not be highlighting
here......................I never knew that Blogs also do pit patrakarita
(yellow journalism).

Sabai lai chetana bhaya !!

Pavan

nepbabu.cx

Mar 29, 2008, 11:11:47 AM3/29/08
to foss-...@googlegroups.com, nepbabuc...@yahoo.ca, sal...@gmail.com, itpol...@lahai.com, gro...@nta.gov.np, mem...@ispan.net.np
Pavan S Shakya wrote:
> Dear Bikal KC-ji,
>
> This might not be relevant to FOSS Nepal where we discuss open source
> policy and applications but the floor should know what is going on in the
> country.

Sure :)

> Members of ISPAN, who had introduced Internet in Nepal are being blamed and
> few "opportunists" and "ICT broker" are against us and are trying to
> provoke the matter with full throttle.
>
> Those who care the development of ICT in Nepal must be aware of such
> factors and I am simply trying to create "awareness" through this floor.

Awareness is the first step. The next step is
action that can be brought about in a meaningful
way. Media is an excellent way to take action.

> The message must be reached to all Nepalese in the Globe that ISPAN and its
> members are not trying to stop ADSL technology. Rather we are demanding
> impartial treatment and fair competition with the Government owned entity.
> Nepal Telecomm wants to avail ADSL technology to its Internet subscribers
> ONLY and if this happens, you won't have choice of using other service
> providers. What will happen then ?

Right. Wouldn't surprise me about NTC.

> Copper network is primarily owned by Nepal Telecomm only. ADSL technology
> was introduced by Mercantile (MOS) almost four years back. But Nepal
> Telecomm did not allow MOS to use this infrastructure.

There must also be proper way to address this
issue besides making people "aware" in this list.
no? like using some authoritative/judicial channel?

> There are more stories behind which I should not be highlighting
> here......................I never knew that Blogs also do pit patrakarita
> (yellow journalism).

One thing to remember is that a person can block
any comments in his/her blog. I think that's their
choice. But, if people want to discuss and uphold
a free society (freedom of speech), it shouldn't
be so. :)

Anyhow, my mistake that I didn't have enough
hindsight to see all the stuffs going around.

cheers,
Bikal

Pavan S Shakya

Mar 30, 2008, 12:44:46 AM3/30/08
to nepba...@gmail.com, foss-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Bikal KC-ji,

Thank you for your suggestions and comments

Mysansar always posted one side of the story so I wanted to explain the
situation but they never allowed me or any comments from ISP fraternity. As
you have rightly pointed out, we are also working on media strategy.

When NTA, as regulator, failed to do justice to our numerous applications,
we were forced to knock the court. But the court has bounced the ball back
to NTA citing the fact that NTA is capable of justifying the case.

I will be updating the development.

Have a good day
pavan

>>Members of ISPAN, who had introduced Internet in Nepal are being blamed
>>and few "opportunists" and "ICT broker" are against us and are trying to
>>provoke the matter with full throttle.
>>Those who care the development of ICT in Nepal must be aware of such
>>factors and I am simply trying to create "awareness" through this floor.
>
>Awareness is the first step. The next step is action that can be brought
>about in a meaningful way. Media is an excellent way to take action.

>>Copper network is primarily owned by Nepal Telecomm only. ADSL technology

प्रबीण ( ओपन ठिटो )

Mar 30, 2008, 1:13:19 AM3/30/08
to pa...@wlink.com.np, foss-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Pavan ji,

I don't think FOSS Nepal Google group members like to get and read non-FOSS topics in this list. Those members who are interested in the issue of ISP will surely google or find other open forums for such news and updates. So I humbly request not to respond back or update about non-FOSS issue to this mailing list.

Thank you for your cooperation if u do.

Regards,
--
Prabin Gautam "ओपन ठिटो"
Registered Linux User #443940

Hempal Shrestha

Mar 30, 2008, 7:12:30 AM3/30/08
to foss-...@googlegroups.com, pa...@wlink.com.np
Dear Prabin,

I respect your commitment to FOSS and cheerish the effort that you had been putting to focus discussions over the list.

But, particular to this case, I would say this issue is an important issue and  related to welbeing of FOSS and FOSSians, Though not directly connected with FOSS topics, It is a necessity that we understand the gravity of the issue and be aware (first stage of positive action)

So, Here I would like to put some of my ideas,
1. We have seen ample Monopoly in the Telecom Market by NTC for past few dacades, which hindered our development  speed ( I had to wait for 10 years to get a Telephone connection after application). I would like to say, to earn profit is a good thing, but Govt bodies and Public money (which NTC) is using is not only for earning profit, they are social organization and should not inhibit competition in the telecom sector (common let Spice Telcom and UTL and Next two (I just heard it somewhere, not sure) which are coming to come up strongly, so that they could  benifit people. Common, can anyone give me a reasonable asnwer about the Such a HIGH convertible rates of call from one service provider to another in Nepal telecom sector, common no kiddy answers, please. (who pays: Is it NTC or Me as a user???)

2. With respect to Internet, we are lucky that there was room for private sector to enter the Internet market, (I don't know if NTC was not serious in the begining ).  Had it not been the case, we had to wait for atleast next ten years or so to get a Internet connection, I do agree that the Internet quality we are getting in not good, the money that we are paying is too high, the services that we are getting is worse, but please do remember, we have atleast something in our acess which we call Internet, which enabled us to learn and be FOSSians, Just to refer a news last Friday that I Cuba people are now ALLOWED to get a mobile phone. (Before this only Govt and International Organizations were only ALLOWED to have a mobile connection, isn't it a pity, don't think that I am with US in cursing Cuba, but this is not a Governance that I want to see for any county).

3. Looking at the recent movements, its seems NTC is realising the power of convergence of Telecom and Internet services, and they want to reap the benifit by maintaining their monopoly in Internet sector also, so here is the interference in the operational strategies. If we believe that Internet is a convergence of various technoglogies, will they not hinder with thier monopolistic mindset???. Issue of ADSL is just one ANOTHER case of inhibiting development. I am against the monopolistic  attitude and approach and THIS IS WHERE FOSS  is  all aBOUT.

4. As this ARGUMENT has already taken shape, would it not be nice to actually learn and aware ourself about Internet in our country. What were the various development phases? Who were the actors/Initiators? What were the major milestones? What were the Challanges and Acheivements. Guys, I tell you we have living wikipidia in this mailing list who have lived the challanges and committed themselves for the development. For sure, they had earned from their efforts also, but you cannot expect them to be volunteers also. Pavan jee, would be great if there is some articles or notes which CHART out the history and current situation of Internet and ISP in Nepal. If not, collected knowledge of ISPAN is also a great learning for all of us. (But, we are also not mukhapatra of ISPAN ;) ).

FOSS for Freedom; Freedom for people

Hempal Shrestha

sarose

Apr 1, 2008, 2:45:11 AM4/1/08
to FOSS Nepal
A customer of late 90's to until April fool.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* I am sick of whopping price and lowest quality of service !

An ISPs of The late 90's until April fool
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* The negotiation with the other peer should remains friendly as far
as the curtail plan works well.
* Impend the plan that gonna make our Q1-4 result at risk.
* NT : the #1 enemy.

and the Verdict
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Court lambasted ISPs. The filed case in the Appellate Court got
dismissed.

Good News
~~~~~~~~~~
Within a few days Nepal Telecom will start distributing 128kbps costs
monthly 900 per month.

India, Sri-Lanka, Bangladesh and Pakistan ares enjoying high quality
bandwidth with a lowest price range (its not ADSL, its a Cable).
Believe it or not, The bandwidth economy has became cheap and
affordable. The only cost involve is administration and infrastructure
setup. Its against business ethics to keep 200-300% profit margin in
the current tariff for the sake of ROI.

Many ISPs are driven by business tycoon who give shit about
"affordable" and "accessible". They want to see their Quarter result
scintillating.

ISP business are converging into Telecom. I clearly see in India and
Srilanka. The small and medium size ISP either merged with the Telecom
or they should accept the cannon of the Charles Darwin.

I know some few ISP has done good work for the country but they should
remain in cutting edge technology with
cutting edge price.

Good luck, Good day.

sarose