Unable to uninstall package

Chandan Prasad Gupta

Jun 19, 2010, 4:45:36 AM6/19/10
to foss-nepal
One of the package is disturbing in installation of modem which I need for my  internet connection.

the error shown is :

E: crossplatformui: subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1

W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ lucid/partner Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.canonical.com_ubuntu_dists_lucid_partner_binary-i386_Packages)

any other way to completely remove this package??

SATA

Jun 19, 2010, 4:55:57 PM6/19/10
to foss-...@googlegroups.com

Well this is only for experts and read it completely before you start. This is like, reverse-engineering the Debian package management.

It seems that the package, you are having problem with, is crossplatformui. so:
 - Backup the file /var/lib/dpkg/info/crossplatformui.postrm
 - Edit the file  /var/lib/dpkg/info/crossplatformui.postrm and insert "exit 0" soon after the shebang line.
 - Run sudo apt-get -f --purge remove
 - Perform all the steps (run/debug the backup file) that the postrm file was meant to do if you really want to clean up the package.
- Move on..

DISCLAIMER: Follow the steps at your own risk. I bear no responsibility if it renders your system unstable.

Regards,
Suraj Sapkota, aka SATA
सुरज सापकोटा
~ As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death. ~

Chandan Prasad Gupta

Jun 19, 2010, 10:23:42 PM6/19/10
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Hi bro,

I was afraid with the DISCLAIMER,

Chandan Prasad Gupta

Jun 19, 2010, 10:26:49 PM6/19/10
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
SORRY,
Before I comlete my mail it was sent mistakenly,

I was afraid of the DISCLAIMER and therefore I tried some stuffs carefully like:

First I tried
sudo apt-get install -f
and then
sudo dpkg --force-all -r crossplatformui
to remove the package

But the error was:

chandan@chandan-laptop:~$ sudo dpkg --force-all -r crossplatformui
(Reading database ... 180712 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing crossplatformui ...
ztemtvcdromd: no process found
dpkg: error processing crossplatformui (--remove):

 subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1

crossplatformui

Then I Commented out the line which looks for ztemtvcdromd in the file
/var/lib/dpkg/info/crossplatformui.postrm and tried again

Then I was able to remove the package...

The idea I got from the steps u had given above :)
thanks again :)

What I did has affected nothing yet and I hope I have done nothing fatal.
Please let me know what I have done, if may create problem in future....

Thanks,
~chandan

_khAttAm_

Jun 19, 2010, 10:46:21 PM6/19/10
to FOSS Nepal
http://www.khattam.info/2009/08/04/solved-subprocess-pre-removal-script-returned-error-exit-status-2-error/

On Jun 20, 7:26 am, Chandan Prasad Gupta <gupta.chand...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> SORRY,
> Before I comlete my mail it was sent mistakenly,
>
> I was afraid of the DISCLAIMER and therefore I tried some stuffs carefully
> like:
>
>   First I tried
> sudo apt-get install -f
> and then
> sudo dpkg --force-all -r crossplatformui
> to remove the package
>
>  But the error was:
>
>  *chandan@chandan-laptop:~$ sudo dpkg --force-all -r crossplatformui
> (Reading database ... 180712 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing crossplatformui ...
> ztemtvcdromd: no process found
> dpkg: error processing crossplatformui (--remove):
>  subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1
> crossplatformui*
>
>  Then I Commented out the line which looks for ztemtvcdromd in the file
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/crossplatformui.postrm and tried again
>
> Then I was able to remove the package...
>
> The idea I got from the steps u had given above :)
> thanks again :)
>
> What I did has affected nothing yet and I hope I have done nothing fatal.
> Please let me know what I have done, if may create problem in future....
>
> Thanks,
> ~chandan
>
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 7:53 AM, Chandan Prasad Gupta <
>

> gupta.chand...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi bro,
>
> > I was afraid with the DISCLAIMER,
>
> > On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 2:25 AM, SATA <ssapk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Well this is *only for experts* and read it completely before you start.
> >> This is like, reverse-engineering the Debian package management.
>
> >> It seems that the package, you are having problem with, is *
> >> crossplatformui*. so:
> >>  - Backup the file* /var/lib/dpkg/info/crossplatformui**.postrm*
> >>  - Edit the file  */var/lib/dpkg/info/crossplatformui.postrm* and insert
> >> "exit 0" soon after the shebang line.
> >>  - Run *sudo apt-get -f --purge remove*
> >>  - *Perform all the steps* (run/debug the backup file) *that the postrm
> >> file was meant to do* if you really want to clean up the package.
> >> - Move on..
>
> >> *DISCLAIMER: Follow the steps at your own risk. I bear no responsibility
> >> if it renders your system unstable.*

> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Suraj Sapkota, aka SATA
> >> सुरज सापकोटा
> >> ~ As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is
> >> death. ~

SATA

Jun 20, 2010, 12:35:22 PM6/20/10
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 8:11 AM, Chandan Prasad Gupta <gupta.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
SORRY,
Before I comlete my mail it was sent mistakenly,

I was afraid of the DISCLAIMER and therefore I tried some stuffs carefully like:

I am unaware of dependencies on the package "crossplatformui", thus the disclaimer. Nevermind, this goes out for every software that you use -- for instance checkout Limitation of Liability in GPL .

[...]

Congrats you've done it. And it seems safe from what you have described.

Chandan Prasad Gupta

Jun 20, 2010, 1:14:43 PM6/20/10
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
yeah now its working well.. :) :)