FOSS Programming contest

nepbabu

Oct 4, 2007, 3:49:03 AM10/4/07
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Hi fossians! :-)

Myself and Jwalanta were discussing foss programming contest in Nepal after next couple of weeks. Basically focusing on implementation-level algorithm, games etc... And it can be coded in any open-source language that the team wishes. What do you guys think?
In my understanding, this will leverage the open-source programming minds in Nepal and hopefully if conducted over certain period of years inspire a sense of belonging to FOSS as well as give competitive environment for next generation OSS programmers in Nepal.

Anyone willing to organise? Shouldn't have to be big at all. Just that industry support seems inevitable to me :) Or say, Code camping, another hackathon etc...?

--
Cheers,
Bikal.

Jwalanta Shrestha

Oct 4, 2007, 8:31:20 AM10/4/07
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
yeah,

i also talked about this with subir dai and he was positive about it. we were thinkin to raise this issue in the upcoming meeting..

imho, it'd be gr8 if we have this competition in the school level. sometime back CAN used to organize such contest, n there used to really cool hackers participating.. (i can tell this coz i was there too.. :))

we can have a yearly contest, with maybe (running) trophies n all.. have a preliminary round, select few from them, give some extensive trainings n some time for the finalists to prepare for the final. n have a tough final round.. i believe we can really find lots of Torvalds' here..

lets discuss this in our next meeting..

regards,
jwalanta.
Message has been deleted

nepbabu

Oct 5, 2007, 7:57:38 AM10/5/07
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 11:13:15PM +0545, Bipin Gautam wrote:

> On 10/4/07, Jwalanta Shrestha <jwal...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> guys, and i am thinking of a linux "TROUBLESHOOTING CONTEST"
>
> like....
> - fix a situation
> - geta thing to work etc
> - do work 'say X' with just the available tools 'Y'
Hi Bipin,

Could you please give an example?

> I guess by this way we can include MAXIMUM number of participants for
> the competation (unlike programmming) and it would be fun to document
> the problems one faces seldome and those hard to troubleshoot.

AFAIK, In FKK you guys do this anyway isn't it? More like a workshop but in a competition environment?

> i can lead to design the whole thing (technical aspects of the competation)
>
> anyone intrested?

I do not know why people aren't interested? :-/ Why don't you organise sec conference? ;-) You look interested in those stuffs anywayz. ki kaso?

Surmandal

Oct 5, 2007, 12:00:12 AM10/5/07
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
I am really Interested. What should I do :)
--
HACKER VS CRACKER

nepbabu

Oct 5, 2007, 12:12:50 AM10/5/07
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 09:45:12AM +0545, Surmandal wrote:
> I am really Interested. What should I do :)

Jwalanta, Bipin and Subir dai will be the best person to answer I believe. Subir dai, this is a very nice idea and FOSSians who are into programming can benefit and learn a lot from this type of healthy competitive environment. Why not discuss it here and then whatever's left, pick it up in the meeting next time? Or, even, Surmandal, you can start along with Bipin and then other people interested will pick it up as well. hoina?

So, Surmandal :) what do you want? FOSS programming for secondary level students or Hackathon as Bipin mentioned? Or better have both? I've sort of seen that there are generally same people who do the events everytime (FKK, SFD07 etc..). It would be really cool if new FOSSians take initiative as well (but I could be wrong here). :-)

For me, personally speaking Hackathon and FOSS Hacking contest and also Sec conf (I think I am too optimistic here.. hehehhe) if organised would be awesommme! :-)

What do others think?

Surmandal

Oct 5, 2007, 12:27:01 AM10/5/07
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
On 10/5/07, nepbabu <nepbabuc...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 09:45:12AM +0545, Surmandal wrote:
> I am really Interested. What should I do :)

Jwalanta, Bipin and Subir dai will be the best person to answer I believe. Subir dai, this is a very nice idea and FOSSians who are into programming can benefit and learn a lot from this type of healthy competitive environment. Why not discuss it here and then whatever's left, pick it up in the meeting next time? Or, even, Surmandal, you can start along with Bipin and then other people interested will pick it up as well. hoina?

So, Surmandal :) what do you want? FOSS programming for secondary level students or Hackathon as Bipin mentioned?  Or better have both? I've sort of seen that there are generally same people who do the events everytime (FKK, SFD07 etc..). It would be really cool if new FOSSians take initiative as well (but I could be wrong here). :-)

I will go with Bipin.

For me, personally speaking Hackathon and FOSS Hacking contest and also Sec conf (I think I am too optimistic here.. hehehhe) if organised would be awesommme! :-)

What do others think?

--
Cheers,
Bikal.
GPG: 0D8EAFB6
"Rule 6: There is no Rule 6." - Rob Pike

--
HACKER VS CRACKER

nepbabu

Oct 5, 2007, 12:39:56 AM10/5/07
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 10:12:01AM +0545, Surmandal wrote:
> On 10/5/07, nepbabu <nepbabuc...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 09:45:12AM +0545, Surmandal wrote:
> > > I am really Interested. What should I do :)
> >
> > Jwalanta, Bipin and Subir dai will be the best person to answer I believe.
> > Subir dai, this is a very nice idea and FOSSians who are into programming
> > can benefit and learn a lot from this type of healthy competitive
> > environment. Why not discuss it here and then whatever's left, pick it up in
> > the meeting next time? Or, even, Surmandal, you can start along with Bipin
> > and then other people interested will pick it up as well. hoina?
> >
> > So, Surmandal :) what do you want? FOSS programming for secondary level
> > students or Hackathon as Bipin mentioned? Or better have both? I've sort of
> > seen that there are generally same people who do the events everytime (FKK,
> > SFD07 etc..). It would be really cool if new FOSSians take initiative as
> > well (but I could be wrong here). :-)
>

> I will go with Bipin.

So we have 3 FOSSians interested in this whole shebang (Hackathon || FOSS Hacking Competition, or FHC :)) -
1. Jwalanta
2. Bipin
3. Surmandal

Anyone else?

As I said, it's not supposed to be big event like SFD, it could be a small gathering of people in someone's place or some venue to start up fixing something or solve something... really it's doesn't have to be big; better if it did; more like a workshop or club but more practical and competitive :-)

<sigh>
Anyone else?

Hempal Shrestha

Oct 5, 2007, 2:42:39 AM10/5/07
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Hi FOSSians,

I think this would be great initiative indeed. As a part of it was
planned in our SFD 06. Few things that I would like to add.

1. The time frame and timing must be good in planning this event. More
than executing competition we will need to have more/diverse
participation in the competition.
2. We should plan to collaborate with various College's ICT events and
do it with them in their own premises. Like NICT annual event, KCC ICT
event, KEC event, NEC annual event on ICT to name few. This will be like
a highlight of the event also and for this we need to start meeting with
the college Principal's and start having their participation in it.
3. It can be both Hackathon which will be a on the day competition
whereas the FOSS Programming competition would be long term and we will
be documenting/uploading the codes so that we can develop a Resource
Bank of All entries.

So FOSSians, what do you say shall we start planning it out? I think for
Hackathon we might not need that much time to execute, but for FOSS
programming we need to plan well in time and May be around Dec would be
good timing (synchronizing with other college events)

Great and Good going

Best

Hempal Shrestha

nepbabu

Oct 5, 2007, 3:15:55 AM10/5/07
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 12:27:39PM +0545, Hempal Shrestha wrote:

> Hi FOSSians,
>
> I think this would be great initiative indeed. As a part of it was
> planned in our SFD 06. Few things that I would like to add.

Glad you are supportive of it as well Hempal dai :-)

> 1. The time frame and timing must be good in planning this event. More
> than executing competition we will need to have more/diverse
> participation in the competition.

I believe there should good amount of planning. ofcourse, no questions about that. :-)

> 2. We should plan to collaborate with various College's ICT events and
> do it with them in their own premises. Like NICT annual event, KCC ICT
> event, KEC event, NEC annual event on ICT to name few. This will be like
> a highlight of the event also and for this we need to start meeting with
> the college Principal's and start having their participation in it.

I'll do what can be done over Internet on my part over coming weeks.

> 3. It can be both Hackathon which will be a on the day competition
> whereas the FOSS Programming competition would be long term and we will
> be documenting/uploading the codes so that we can develop a Resource
> Bank of All entries.

Hackathon will be great for starter. :-) FHC will need more planning I believe. Also, maybe in Hackathon sessions, some other projects like Sugar activity, LTSP can be merged as well? (Shankar, Ankur??)

> So FOSSians, what do you say shall we start planning it out? I think for
> Hackathon we might not need that much time to execute, but for FOSS
> programming we need to plan well in time and May be around Dec would be
> good timing (synchronizing with other college events)

Yes! :-) I am up for it. Whatever I can do over Internet

nepbabu

Oct 5, 2007, 3:23:04 AM10/5/07
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 02:09:56PM +0930, nepbabu wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 10:12:01AM +0545, Surmandal wrote:

> > > Jwalanta, Bipin and Subir dai will be the best person to answer I believe.
> > > Subir dai, this is a very nice idea and FOSSians who are into programming
> > > can benefit and learn a lot from this type of healthy competitive
> > > environment. Why not discuss it here and then whatever's left, pick it up in
> > > the meeting next time? Or, even, Surmandal, you can start along with Bipin
> > > and then other people interested will pick it up as well. hoina?
> > >
> > > So, Surmandal :) what do you want? FOSS programming for secondary level
> > > students or Hackathon as Bipin mentioned? Or better have both? I've sort of
> > > seen that there are generally same people who do the events everytime (FKK,
> > > SFD07 etc..). It would be really cool if new FOSSians take initiative as
> > > well (but I could be wrong here). :-)
> >

> > I will go with Bipin.
>
> So we have 3 FOSSians interested in this whole shebang (Hackathon || FOSS Hacking Competition, or FHC :)) -
> 1. Jwalanta
> 2. Bipin
> 3. Surmandal
4. Hempal Shrestha dai.

Anyone else? :-)

Message has been deleted

Jitendra kumar

Oct 5, 2007, 9:17:28 PM10/5/07
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Definitely, this should be a good move. Both the options: programming and Hackathon are tempting. But I would like to go with Hackathon. This should provide more knowledge to people already in FOSS as well as pour in more new members.

On 10/5/07, Bipin Gautam <bipin....@gmail.com> wrote:

On 10/5/07, nepbabu <nepbabuc...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 11:13:15PM +0545, Bipin Gautam wrote:

> > On 10/4/07, Jwalanta Shrestha <jwal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > guys, and i am thinking of a linux "TROUBLESHOOTING CONTEST"
> >
> > like....
> > - fix a situation
> > - geta thing to work etc
> > - do work 'say X' with just the available tools 'Y'
> Hi Bipin,
>
> Could you please give an example?

sure bro,
like...
- install X window on Linux os with just BASE available. (that's
tricky when it comes to demanding dependencies :)

- Write a WINE patch to run a application Z for Linux

- Fix a wiped out MBR and partation table with a live CD and make OS
boot work for windows 98, xp, linux and BSD all together.

- Setup a radius server for a situation Y and make it work for... Z?

just simple examples.....

nepbabu(nepbabuc...@yahoo.ca) are you the old Nepbabu that we
all know since some year?

ahhh.... security conference, i'd love to see one here in Nepal... a
conference with CISSP lecture in one room, SElinux lectures in
another, security programming in another, another room full of crazy
people trying to secure, DoS or hack into each others setup while
another school of people doing cryptanalysis and forensics.

Given that, re$ource available i could plan all technical requirement
of the conference within a month but i am skeptic about the quality
(and quantity) of the audience that will be interested.

:(

regards,
-bipin

Ashes

Oct 5, 2007, 9:19:35 PM10/5/07
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
This is a better idea

Ashes
--
Regards
AD

nepbabu

Oct 5, 2007, 10:20:07 PM10/5/07
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 09:43:09PM +0545, Bipin Gautam wrote:

> On 10/5/07, nepbabu <nepbabuc...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 11:13:15PM +0545, Bipin Gautam wrote:

> > > On 10/4/07, Jwalanta Shrestha <jwal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > guys, and i am thinking of a linux "TROUBLESHOOTING CONTEST"
> > >
> > > like....
> > > - fix a situation
> > > - geta thing to work etc
> > > - do work 'say X' with just the available tools 'Y'
> > Hi Bipin,
> >
> > Could you please give an example?
> >

> sure bro,
> like...
> - install X window on Linux os with just BASE available. (that's
> tricky when it comes to demanding dependencies :)

By base you mean just the kernel source right? Because Xorg or Xfree86 source is also available and then FOSSians can build the kernel, then build the X*.

> - Write a WINE patch to run a application Z for Linux
>
> - Fix a wiped out MBR and partation table with a live CD and make OS
> boot work for windows 98, xp, linux and BSD all together.

I think there's a tool in Windows for that called fixmbr or something like that.

> - Setup a radius server for a situation Y and make it work for... Z?

Radius + EAP/TLS + Back-end billing system + Wireless AP = Hey we've got a free wireless in KTM built by FOSSians!
Awesome! :-)

> just simple examples.....

That sounds great :-)

> nepbabu(nepbabuc...@yahoo.ca) are you the old Nepbabu that we
> all know since some year?

Yeah i am the same person.

> ahhh.... security conference, i'd love to see one here in Nepal... a
> conference with CISSP lecture in one room, SElinux lectures in
> another, security programming in another, another room full of crazy
> people trying to secure, DoS or hack into each others setup while
> another school of people doing cryptanalysis and forensics.

I also vote for this kind of sec conf. And I'd do my bit given enough momentum by Nepalese sec. community. But sometimes I feel you guys should -drive- the momentum rather than -wait- for momentum.

> Given that, re$ource available i could plan all technical requirement
> of the conference within a month but i am skeptic about the quality
> (and quantity) of the audience that will be interested.
>
> :(

Why don't you start off something each year with little people? That'd surely gain the track as the members discuss and learn more new stuffs in security field and pass it on to others, it'll surely grow in that aspect. I mean I am -guessing- that there aren't -many- (few thousands possibly?) security professionals in Nepal but surely if you could get hold as much students, professionals and get them to come to say a sec conf. or give a talk on certain stuffs, that would be a good start IMHO. Certainly also consider inviting other sec. gurus from abroad to give talks.

Certainly possible ideas floating around but time and energy is definitely needed and not to mention the amount of planning that goes into it.:-)

Good to hear it Bipin.

nepbabu

Oct 5, 2007, 10:23:48 PM10/5/07
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 04:53:04PM +0930, nepbabu wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 02:09:56PM +0930, nepbabu wrote:

> > > I will go with Bipin.

So we have 6 FOSSians interested in this whole shebang (Hackathon || FOSS Hacking Competition, or FHC :)) -

1. Jwalanta
2. Bipin
3. Surmandal
4. Hempal Shrestha dai.

5. Jitendra kumar Harlaka
6. Ashes dhakal

nepbabu

Oct 5, 2007, 10:26:55 PM10/5/07
to foss-...@googlegroups.com

Sorry this may sound rude by by saying in KTM, but i just wanted to illustrate the idea. It may well be in some remote place in Nepal as well. I guess I was too excited. :-/

nepbabu

Oct 5, 2007, 10:33:45 PM10/5/07
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
> > Radius + EAP/TLS + Back-end billing system + Wireless AP = Hey we've got a free wireless in KTM built by FOSSians!
> > Awesome! :-)

Billing system is needed not to charge but to keep track of things (usage, unwaranted activities etc.. ;)) It's a free wireless after all. Just an idea though which -could- possibly culminate into a reality someday. Again, I know everyone has these kinds of pet ideas in their minds. I just prefer to exhibit rather than inhibit them. ;)

I stop. I am flooding this list. :o

Prajwal Shrestha

Oct 6, 2007, 2:25:46 AM10/6/07
to FOSS Nepal
ya ...the idea of organizing coding competition is great...this will
be a great platform to demonstrate one's skill and learn from others.
It will also be helpful for the beginner programmers to develop a
community of their own. Coz, programming is basically learned from
sharing one's skill.

On Oct 4, 5:31 pm, "Jwalanta Shrestha" <jwala...@gmail.com> wrote:
> yeah,
>
> i also talked about this with subir dai and he was positive about it. we
> were thinkin to raise this issue in the upcoming meeting..
>
> imho, it'd be gr8 if we have this competition in the school level. sometime
> back CAN used to organize such contest, n there used to really cool hackers
> participating.. (i can tell this coz i was there too.. :))
>
> we can have a yearly contest, with maybe (running) trophies n all.. have a
> preliminary round, select few from them, give some extensive trainings n
> some time for the finalists to prepare for the final. n have a tough final
> round.. i believe we can really find lots of Torvalds' here..
>
> lets discuss this in our next meeting..
>
> regards,
> jwalanta.

Subir Pradhanang

Oct 6, 2007, 3:29:44 AM10/6/07
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Hi nepbabu and all,

On 10/4/07, nepbabu <nepbabuc...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Myself and Jwalanta were discussing foss programming contest in Nepal after next couple of weeks. Basically focusing on implementation-level algorithm, games etc... And it can be coded in any open-source language that the team wishes. What do you guys think?

Some great ideas coming up...keep going guys!! Not trying to stop the
flow of mails in this thread, but maybe I could ask nepbabu or someone
to put up these ideas in the 'Future activities' section of our wiki:

http://wiki.fossnepal.org/index.php?title=Future_Activities

Certainly we could do this kind of activities in the future, but will
require a bit of time and a lot of homework from our side. As Jwalanta
suggested to me, maybe we could have a national kind of an event in
the future, which would be long-lasting and not just for one or two
years.

Cheers,
Subir

nepbabu

Oct 6, 2007, 4:51:57 AM10/6/07
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 01:14:44PM +0545, Subir Pradhanang wrote:

> Hi nepbabu and all,
>
> On 10/4/07, nepbabu <nepbabuc...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> >
> > Myself and Jwalanta were discussing foss programming contest in Nepal after next couple of weeks. Basically focusing on implementation-level algorithm, games etc... And it can be coded in any open-source language that the team wishes. What do you guys think?
>
> Some great ideas coming up...keep going guys!! Not trying to stop the
> flow of mails in this thread, but maybe I could ask nepbabu or someone
> to put up these ideas in the 'Future activities' section of our wiki:
>
> http://wiki.fossnepal.org/index.php?title=Future_Activities
Hi Subir dai,

Hackathon and FHC has been added in the wiki. :)

nepbabu

Oct 6, 2007, 4:55:41 AM10/6/07
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 11:53:47AM +0930, Bikal KC wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 04:53:04PM +0930, nepbabu wrote:

So we have 8 FOSSians interested in this whole shebang (Hackathon || FOSS Hacking Competition, or FHC :)) -

1. Jwalanta
2. Bipin
3. Surmandal
4. Hempal Shrestha dai.