My latest gnome desktop

प्रबीण ( ओपन ठिटो )

Mar 26, 2008, 2:47:33 PM3/26/08
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
With the use of Various artworks and applications I finally got this desktop. I this nothing more to this will be good.

Please help me if i could improve my Gnome desktop.

Regards,
--
Prabin Gautam "ओपन ठिटो"
Registered Linux User #443940

Prasanna Gautam

Mar 26, 2008, 2:50:12 PM3/26/08
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Very apple-esque,

Good job :)

Paras pradhan

Mar 26, 2008, 3:00:31 PM3/26/08
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
gnome 2.22?

Paras.

Prajwal Adhikari

Mar 26, 2008, 3:21:00 PM3/26/08
to foss-...@googlegroups.com

Guys, Brothers, Sissies and seniors,

I want to install ubantu on my XP machine, still I don't want to remove my Genuine Windows XP MC. Is there any way to install Ubantu without uninstalling or damaging the existing windows installation and windows NTFS Filesystems??

Regards,

Prajwal

Himanshu Chhetri

Mar 27, 2008, 12:58:42 AM3/27/08
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Yes,
      You can use wubi : http://wubi-installer.org/ to exactly do that.
From the website : "Wubi is a Ubuntu installer for Windows users that will bring you into the Linux world with a single click. Wubi allows you to install and uninstall Ubuntu as any other application."

Good luck.
-Himanshu

Prajwal Adhikari

Mar 28, 2008, 2:06:55 PM3/28/08
to foss-...@googlegroups.com

Himanshu ji,

I have already downloaded ubantu cd image, but this wubi seeks internet to download actual installation files. Ain't There any other way to install it offline.

Regards

prajwal

nepbabu

Mar 28, 2008, 3:36:33 PM3/28/08
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Thus spoke Prajwal Adhikari on Friday, 28 March 2008 at 23:51:55 +0545:

> Himanshu ji,
>

> I have already downloaded ubantu cd image, but this wubi seeks internet to
> download actual installation files. Ain't There any other way to install it
> offline.

Yes using Ubuntu install CD.

Pop the Ubuntu CD in. reboot your computer and set it to boot off from CD. Then follow the prompts.

Before you do this however, please read the Ubuntu installation guide. Here's a small converation with Ubotu for helping you out.

------------------------
<nepbabu> !installation
<ubotu> Ubuntu can be installed in lots of ways. Please see
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation for documentation.
Problems during install? See
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommonProblemsInstall and
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperReleaseNotes/UbiquityKnownIssues - Don't
want to use a CD? Try http://tinyurl.com/3exghs - See also !automate
<nepbabu> !automate
<ubotu> Ways to automate installation of Ubuntu on multiple machines are
described at
https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/installation-guide/i386/automatic-install.html
- See also !cloning
------------------------

HTH

--
Cheers,
Bikal KC (Please use: nepbababucxspamfree_at_yahoo DOT ca)

nepbabu

Mar 28, 2008, 3:44:15 PM3/28/08
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Thus spoke Prabin Gautam on Thursday, 27 March 2008 at 0:32:33 +0545:

> With the use of Various artworks and applications I finally got this
> desktop. I this nothing more to this will be good.

Nice desktop :D

Utsav

Mar 29, 2008, 5:06:14 AM3/29/08
to FOSS Nepal
hi prajwal,

i am also a ubuntu newbie. I didn't do my bit of initial research b4
installing it on my xp desktop.

A few warnings if you haven't already installed Ubuntu.

Can't listen to mp3, watch videos and the like with when you install
from the installation CD/DVD.

You need to download separate files/codecs to do that from the
system.

and also you cannot connect to the internet, Ubuntu does not support
PPoE re.

If you are subscribed to the internet like i am (night surfing wlink
or hons and the like you are in deep shit you will need a separate
router to use the internet(that's the answer i got from ubuntu forums.
so ubuntu for me is on permanent halt unless i buy me a router)

my questions to the ppl at wlink who've hosted the ubuntu ISO's? Any
chance of doing that (getting the mp3 codecs n other from
http://opensource.wlink.com.np??

good luck
Utsav

On Mar 29, 12:36 am, "nepbabu" <nepbabucxspamf...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Thus spoke Prajwal Adhikari on Friday, 28 March 2008 at 23:51:55 +0545:
>
> > Himanshu ji,
>
> > I have already downloaded ubantu cd image, but this wubi seeks internet to
> > download actual installation files. Ain't There any other way to install it
> > offline.
>
> Yes using Ubuntu install CD.
>
> Pop the Ubuntu CD in. reboot your computer and set it to boot off from CD. Then follow the prompts.
>
> Before you do this however, please read the Ubuntu installation guide. Here's a small converation with Ubotu for helping you out.
>
> ------------------------
> <nepbabu> !installation
> <ubotu> Ubuntu can be installed in lots of ways. Please seehttps://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installationfor documentation.
> Problems during install? Seehttps://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommonProblemsInstallandhttps://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperReleaseNotes/UbiquityKnownIssues- Don't
> want to use a CD? Tryhttp://tinyurl.com/3exghs- See also !automate
> <nepbabu> !automate
> <ubotu> Ways to automate installation of Ubuntu on multiple machines are
> described athttps://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/installation-guide/i386/automatic...
> - See also !cloning
> ------------------------
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Bikal KC (Please use: nepbababucxspamfree_at_yahoo DOT ca)
> Journal:http://nepbabu.livejournal.com|| pubkey: see header
> "Rule 6: There is no Rule 6." - Rob Pike
> "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." - François-Marie Arouet
>
>  application_pgp-signature_part
> 1KDownload

Jwalanta Shrestha

Mar 29, 2008, 5:46:34 AM3/29/08
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
hi utsav,

On 3/29/08, Utsav <utsav...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

since u have internet, u can do that through apt-get.
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#How_to_install_Multimedia_Codecs

u can get a lot of such tips n tricks at http://ubuntuguide.org

regards,
jwalanta

Shishir Jha

Mar 29, 2008, 9:39:49 AM3/29/08
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Hello utsav

On 3/29/08, Utsav <utsav...@gmail.com> wrote:

hi prajwal,

i am also a ubuntu newbie. I didn't do my bit of initial research b4
installing it on my xp desktop.

A few warnings if you haven't already installed Ubuntu.

Can't listen to mp3, watch videos and the like with when you install
from the installation CD/DVD.

True you cannot do that from straight CD installation, it needs extra packages which can be downloaded from the internet.

You need to download separate files/codecs to do that from the
system.

and also you cannot connect to the internet, Ubuntu does not support
PPoE re.

Well seems Utsav, you have not done enough research otherwise you would never write that ubuntu does not support pppoe. I myself have configured pppoe for wlink issuing a single command to set it up and another one to connect to it as and when needed. So please make sure that you do know what you are writing. Because what you write can alter the perception of people towards linux.

And thing about router is another crap, and just so that you know, if you needed help about getting connected to internet using broadband, you should have writted to this forum rather than writing to ubuntu as we know the system of internet here better than people in ubuntu forum.

If you are subscribed to the internet like i am (night surfing wlink
or hons and the like you are in deep shit you will need a separate
router to use the internet(that's the answer i got from ubuntu forums.
so ubuntu for me is on permanent halt unless i buy me a router)

As far as your local repository is concerned we are working on it and if everything goes well then we will surely have a local mirror for ubuntu in Nepal from where you can use apt-get to install what ever you want.

my questions to the ppl at wlink who've hosted the ubuntu ISO's? Any
chance of doing that (getting the mp3 codecs n other from
http://opensource.wlink.com.np??

good luck
Utsav

Dont take it personally, but such points needs to be clarified so that people dont get misleaded and alter their views towards linux. And for how to get the things(internet and music and video) working please refer to Jwalanta's mail, he has provided the relevant links.

Good Luck to you as well

Cheers

Prajwal Adhikari

Mar 29, 2008, 1:47:24 PM3/29/08
to foss-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks !!!

Should VLC  work for ubantu??

Mar 29, 2008, 1:47:24 PM3/29/08
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Utsab ji,

Thanks a lot for the warnings and the information as I am also one among the
ppl whom you have warned to be in deep shit. I am using night surfing pppoe
wlink internet connection.

I am a fedora8 user and still haven't suffered such problems as you have
mentioned. I have downloaded vlc and can play mp3s and videos easily. I
wanted to try ubantu coz from some forums I got few snapshots of ubantu and
its better interface than that of windows vista. That's why I was willing to
install ubantu on my first hdd having windows xp and windows vista.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the knowledge and also please do share with me if
I can install or access vhd (TigerOS's vhd) in linux platform as I have
operated it in VMware in Windows XP.

Regards,

Mar 29, 2008, 1:53:25 PM3/29/08
to foss-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for you as well. But plz never mind as my perception and knowledge seeking behavior towards linux would not be hampered and hoped the same with the newbie like me.

Sharing the experience what utsav have gained is indeed very good for me as you or jwalanta would not have been commenting on the same topics.

I am new and I am commenting what I have read about my entries, please pardon me if this puts some –ve impact towards any of u seniors here.

Regards,

Prajwal

Mar 29, 2008, 8:30:42 PM3/29/08
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Prajwal Adhikari wrote:
> Thanks !!!
>

> Should VLC work for ubantu??

Hi Prajwal,

In short yes. It'll work for Ub>u<ntu :)

cheers,
Bikal

Message has been deleted

Himanshu Chhetri

Mar 30, 2008, 12:28:34 PM3/30/08
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Bipin I am more of an Ubuntu guy these days :) but I don't use wubi because I only have one OS running on my laptop i.e. native install.

-Himanshu

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Bipin Gautam <bipin....@gmail.com> wrote:

> > and also you cannot connect to the internet, Ubuntu does not support
> > PPoE re.
>
> this is not true, u can use pppoe..
> http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#How_to_configure_broadband_connections

very funny yar!
ISP's are the biggest users of FOSS so its veryyyyyyyyy rare for you
to find a solution they have design that is not compitable with a FOSS
solution.

http://wubi-installer.org/ is a great concept. looks like someone
gaveup up Mandriva linux for something else ;)

regards,
-bipin

Utsav

Mar 30, 2008, 1:24:16 PM3/30/08
to FOSS Nepal
Thanks a lot Shishir for the update and for correcting my
misconception,

I did my initial bit of research and there are a lot of pesky bloggers
who did get pissed off at Ubuntu.. i.e, I was not alone in my
disappointment. I even went ahead and wrote a blog post about it
<http://fafdajalebi.blogspot.com/2008/01/disappointed-with-ubuntu-
gutsy-gibbon.html>. Thanks for correcting my erroneous prejudgment on
Ubuntu

Rather than posting what I posted earlier at the Ubuntu forum and
crowding this post, my thread is still here <
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=657433> I would appreciate
you help in this matter, or perhaps you could do a tutorial on it if
its not asking for too much and correct the discussion on Ubuntu
forums as well, because after reading the thread on Ubuntu forums, I
am sure a lot of other newbie enthusiast may have lost interest.

This definitely is a rebreather! looking forward to a tutorial and
eagerly waiting on the local repository.

Any chance of you guys starting up on a ubuntu wiki as well.

regards,
Utsav

On Mar 29, 6:39 pm, "Shishir Jha" <shishi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello utsav
>
> > Seehttps://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommonProblemsInstallandhttps://wiki.ubuntu.c...
> > Don't
> > > want to use a CD? Tryhttp://tinyurl.com/3exghs-See also !automate
>
> > > <nepbabu> !automate
> > > <ubotu> Ways to automate installation of Ubuntu on multiple machines are
>
> > > described
> > athttps://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/installation-guide/i386/automatic...
>
> > > - See also !cloning
> > > ------------------------
>
> > > HTH
>
> > > --
> > > Cheers,
> > > Bikal KC (Please use: nepbababucxspamfree_at_yahoo DOT ca)
> > > Journal:http://nepbabu.livejournal.com|| pubkey: see header
> > > "Rule 6: There is no Rule 6." - Rob Pike
>
> > > "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit
> > atrocities." - François-Marie Arouet
>
> > >  application_pgp-signature_part
> > > 1KDownload
>
> --
> Shishir Jha
> EPC 1970,GPO 8975,
> KTM,NEPAL

Shishir Jha

Mar 30, 2008, 11:50:37 PM3/30/08
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
can you write in a bit detail about what kind of internet connection and which ISP's internet connection are you using to get connected to the internet so that we might help you with a solution. As far as your hardware is concerned its definitely compatible and i doubt the use of router for you to get connected to the internet. Do write back, so that we can collectively correct your erroneous prejudgment further more. Or better u can also use the #ubuntu-np on irc.freenode.net channel, where you will get online help from many ubuntu users in Nepal.

Cheers

EPC 1970,GPO 8975,
KTM,NEPAL

Utsav

Mar 31, 2008, 4:33:58 AM3/31/08
to FOSS Nepal
hi shishir and guys,

I am using a Hons connection 64 Kb night surfing 8 PM -8 AM). (I hear
its wlink service under a different name but again that's not the
issue here). My hardware supports it (you've got that one right).

I had given up on Ubuntu... after the earlier fiasco and am thinking
installing it on my old P III 450 Mhz computer (192 MB Ram). A friend
recommends against it; says it requires more memory? what's ur take on
it?

looking forward to a solution/tutorial.

regards,
Utsav

On Mar 31, 8:50 am, "Shishir Jha" <shishi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> can you write in a bit detail about what kind of internet connection and
> which ISP's internet connection are you using to get connected to the
> internet so that we might help you with a solution. As far as your hardware
> is concerned its definitely compatible and i doubt the use of router for you
> to get connected to the internet. Do write back, so that we can collectively
> correct your erroneous prejudgment further more. Or better u can also use
> the #ubuntu-np on irc.freenode.net channel, where you will get online help
> from many ubuntu users in Nepal.
>
> Cheers

Shishir Jha

Mar 31, 2008, 11:20:53 AM3/31/08
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
I definitely wont recommend you to install ubuntu on PIII, though it will install itself in it, it wont run as smoothly and nicely as you would want it to. I think minimum of PIV and 256 RAM with 512MB of swap is necessary for the machine to run ubuntu well.
Now as for your internet one more thing that i would like to know is what kind of connection is Hons, is it pppoe, dhcp, or static connection. Could you let us know how you connect in Windows so that we can help you with the corresponding procedure in Ubuntu.

Cheers

EPC 1970,GPO 8975,
KTM,NEPAL

indira chongbang

Apr 2, 2008, 2:49:14 AM4/2/08
to foss-...@googlegroups.com
Hi fren

I don't like these much of mail from foss neapl since i am n't so much concerned with this type of information. so I would like to request you please take out my email id from this group ok. I will be greatful with you,

Indira