F1SA - Motor Sport News / F1

F1SA

Dec 5, 2008, 1:23:32 AM12/5/08
to fos...@hotmail.com
© News from F1SA - Motor Sport News
F1

F1 : Takuma Sato to test again for Toro Rosso Formula 1 team
Source/Credit - Takuma Sato
Sato
Sato
Takuma invited to Formula One test again for Scuderia Toro Rosso.

Takuma has been recalled by Scuderia Toro Rosso to test at Jerez, Spain, on 10/11 December.

Matthew Winter, Takuma Sato's Commercial Manager said: "We obviously see this as a positive step but still nothing is decided for the 2009 racing season."

F1 : Kimi Raikkonen spending winter in Finland
Source/Credit - GMM
Raikkonen
Raikkonen
Deposed Formula 1 World Champion Kimi Raikkonen has spent much of the time since the last race of 2008 in his native Finland.

Reports from the Nordic country reveal the 29-year-old is in Helsinki, Finland's capital which is a short distance from Raikkonen's birthplace of Espoo.

He was photographed training with a local ice hockey team, with whom he is friends with some of the players.

The tabloid Iltalehti said that, while in Helsinki, Raikkonen has also organised to sell one of his three houses near the Finnish city.

The eight bedroom house on the exclusive island suburb of Kaskisaari was reportedly put on the market by Raikkonen, who lives mainly in Switzerland, for €14.5 million Euros.

According to the newspaper, some foreign embassies have expressed interest in the property.

F1 : Formula 1 team heads gather in Geneva for FOTA meeting
Source/Credit - GMM
Formula One team bosses have travelled to Geneva, Switzerland, for Thursday's meeting of the FOTA alliance.

We previously reported that the sport's ten teams intend to discuss Bernie Ecclestone's proposed 'medals' scoring system for the first time, as well as a possible shake-up for the qualifying format.

More pressing on the agenda, however, is cost cutting, under the threat that FiA president Max Mosley will impose draconian measures if the teams cannot themselves propose worthwhile money saving proposals.

With Mosley already threatening to proceed with engine standardisation, the pressure is on FOTA to put together a cohesive package before next week's meeting of the FiA's World Motor Sport Council.

"A lot has been defined for 2009, more is to come for 2010 and 2011 to reduce costs and improve the show. These are the leading principles," Ferrari spokesman Luca Colajanni confirmed to The Guardian newspaper.

Believed to be the most radical of the proposals for discussion is a move from 2.4 litre V8 engines for 2011 to fuel efficient turbo 1.8 litre engines.

This specification, using about 30 percent less fuel than the current engines, could pave the way for a ban on mid-race refuelling.

F1 : Anthony Davidson set for race return in sportscars
Source/Credit - GMM
Davidson
Davidson
Out of work former Formula 1 driver Anthony Davidson looks set to turn to the world of prototype sportscars for 2009.

The 29-year-old Briton's short lived Grand Prix career ended abruptly a few races into the 2008 season, when Super Aguri Formula One team went out of business.

But while his 2008 team-mate Takuma Sato is back in the running for a Formula 1 race seat, Davidson has returned just once for a Honda test, and a few appointments as a race commentator on British radio.

He has therefore turned to the world of sportscars, and recently tested a prototype Peugeot.

The French marque's team manager Serge Saulnier said Davidson is in consideration for a 2009 seat.

"He tested the car for us and we have some other drivers to test," Saulnier told Motorsport News.

"He did well. The target of this test was more for him to get the feeling of the car. He's now got a good idea of the car and the team, so he will know about us if we consider a collaboration."

F1 : GP2 Series Champion Giorgio Pantano says Formula 1 abandoned him
Source/Credit - GMM
Pantano
Pantano
Giorgio Pantano has admitted his recently won GP2 Series championship is unlikely to lead to a career in Formula One.

If his fears are confirmed, the 29-year-old would be the only GP2 champion, in the company of Nico Rosberg (2005), Lewis Hamilton (2006) and Timo Glock (2007), who has not gone on to secure a seat in the premier category.

In the pages of the Italian magazine Autosprint, the frustrated Italian slammed the situation as a "joke", where contenders he defeated in 2008, Bruno Senna and Sebastien Buemi, appear poised to make their Grand Prix debuts.

"I feel total indifference towards me. I read of Senna and Buemi but, really, what have they done?"

"At this point, a guy in my situation must think that being a racing driver is not advantageous, doing another job would be better," said Pantano.

It appears that not only Pantano's age played against him in the eyes of Formula 1 team bosses.

He actually made his Formula 1 debut for the uncompetitive Jordan team in 2004, before being replaced near the end of the season.

Prior to his abortive Jordan tenure, Pantano had tests with Williams, McLaren Mercedes and Renault.

Pantano charged: "Money is becoming the priority in order to race, talent doesn't exist any more."

He said the only figure in the Formula 1 paddock who has not "abandoned" him is Formula 1 Chief Executive Bernie Ecclestone, who spoke with Pantano on the phone a few days ago.

"The only real drives still available are at Honda and Toro Rosso," he said. "Bernie told me that if anything moves, I'll be the first to know."

F1 : Shuhei Nakamoto leaves Honda Formula 1 team
Source/Credit - GMM
Shuhei Nakamoto, Ross Brawn's technical predecessor, has left the Honda Formula 1 team.

After becoming senior technical director in 2006, the 51-year-old Japanese is therefore arguably most responsible for the last two Honda single seaters, which in 2007 and 2008 finished the constructors' championship in respectively eighth and ninth positions.

Nakamoto, who lives in England, will now return to the Honda Racing Corporation as Vice President, reportedly to focus on the marque's motorcycle racing operations.

Initially working on Honda's motorcycle racing programme, Nakamoto joined Honda in 1983.

F1 : Sebastien Bourdais and Sebastien Buemi to also test for Toro Rosso
Source/Credit - GMM
Bourdais
Bourdais
Buemi
Buemi
It has emerged that the other contenders for seats at Scuderia Toro Rosso next year will also appear at the next Formula One test.

Out of work hopeful Takuma Sato, who dropped off the grid with the demise of the Super Aguri team early in 2008, is set to test for a third time with Faenza based STR at the Jerez outing next week, it was confirmed on Thursday.

The news indicates he is still strongly in the running for a race seat, but a team spokesperson on Thursday confirmed that he will not be alone in action at the wheel of a STR3 at the southern Spanish track.

Like 31-year-old Sato, his main contender Sebastien Bourdais is also scheduled to run for two days at Jerez.

The Swiss youngster Sebastien Buemi, meanwhile, who will almost certainly replace Sebastien Vettel at the team in 2009, will test on all three days of the test.

Team owner Dietrich Mateschitz said recently an announcement about STR's drivers will be made before Christmas, but the spokesperson said no such deadline applies.

F1 : Expectations of Honda withdrawal from Formula 1 in 2009
Source/Credit - F1SA
Following the cancellation of the expensive 'press lunch' and the departure of Shuhei Nakamoto, Ross Brawn's technical predecessor, reports are emerging of the demise of the Honda Racing F1 team.

In anticipation of a press release to be revealed on Friday morning, reports are emerging that the Honda Racing F1 team will be withdrawing from Formula One ahead of the 2009 season.

Though it has not been officially confirmed, further reports are suggesting an emergency meeting is to be held at the teams headquarters in Brackley on Thursday evening.

As a similar story did the rounds a couple of years ago about the team, we will wait for the release on Friday morning, if it is to be made?

Have 'My Earth Dreams' suddenly become a 'Nightmare'?

MOTOR SPORT HEADLINES

This © news mail courtesy of www.F1SA.com
Please login at F1SA to edit your subscriptions.

F1SA

Dec 5, 2008, 8:00:22 PM12/5/08
to fos...@hotmail.com
© News from F1SA - Motor Sport News
F1

F1 : Honda to announce shock Formula 1 withdrawal
Source/Credit - GMM
Honda is expected to announce on Friday morning its shock withdrawal from Formula One.

The more than 700 staff at the Japanese team's Brackley (UK) headquarters were informed by bosses Ross Brawn and Nick Fry on Thursday, and fellow teams learned of the decision at the FOTA meeting in Geneva.

A public statement from Tokyo, grappling with news of plummeting sales of road cars, is expected early on Friday, amid rumours the outfit is up for sale and faces complete closure should a buyer not be found by January.

It is understood Honda will take responsibility for any debts, and would hand over the team to a buyer for a nominal price.

The news, amid the global financial crisis, comes after Honda's notable underachievement in the past two years despite one of the biggest budgets in the sport.

It would leave British driver Jenson Button, and his 2008 team-mate Rubens Barrichello, without seats for the 2009 season, and scuppers the plans of young hopefuls Bruno Senna and Lucas di Grassi.

The 2009 grid would be reduced to just 18 cars, and spark fears that other manufacturers, whose commitment to Formula One was considered perhaps less steadfast than Honda's, could follow suit.

Following the meeting of team bosses in Switzerland, FOTA confirmed in a statement that they "unanimously agreed" to more cost cutting measures, including a "new low cost engine" for 2011.

Spokespeople for Honda, and Formula 1's governing body the FiA, declined to comment.

F1 : Honda President Takeo Fukui to confirm Honda Formula 1 exit in Tokyo
Source/Credit - GMM
Fukui
Fukui
Honda Motor Company has confirmed that Chief Executive and President Takeo Fukui will front a media briefing on the topic of Formula One in Tokyo on Friday afternoon (13h00 Japanese time).

It is widely expected that the Japanese manufacturer will announce its withdrawal from the sport, and the closure of the Brackley (UK) based racing outfit should a buyer not be found in the coming weeks.

Spokespeople for the Formula 1 team and the manufacturer would not confirm the speculation, both instead insisting more information will not be available until Fukui's briefing.

The unofficial news, however, led to shares in Honda Motor Company rising 0.2 per cent.

A financial analyst in Tokyo told the Bloomberg news agency: "A withdrawal by Honda would highlight just how awful the situation surrounding the auto industry is."

Staff of Honda's Brackley factory anonymously said their pay will be guaranteed only to the end of March, and sources at other Formula One teams report they were flooded with enquiries about jobs as the news broke.

Sources close to Toyota, meanwhile, flatly denied suggestions it might follow Honda out of Formula One, amid similar troubles for the Japanese manufacturer due to the economic downturn.

F1 : Statement by Takeo Fukui, President and CEO, Honda Motor Co., Ltd.
Source/Credit - Honda Worldwide
Fukui
Fukui
We, Honda Motor Co., Ltd., have come to the conclusion that we will withdraw from all Formula One activities, making 2008 the last season of participation.

This difficult decision has been made in light of the quickly deteriorating operating environment facing the global auto industry, brought on by the sub prime problem in the United States, the deepening credit crisis and the sudden contraction of the world economies.

Honda must protect its core business activities and secure the long term as widespread uncertainties in the economies around the globe continue to mount. A recovery is expected to take some time.

Under these circumstances, Honda has taken swift and flexible measures to counter this sudden and expansive weakening of the marketplace in all business areas. However, in recognition of the need to optimize the allocation of management resources, including investment regarding the future, we have decided to withdraw from Formula One participation. We will enter into consultation with the associates of Honda Racing F1 Team and its engine supplier Honda Racing Development regarding the future of the two companies. This will include offering the team for sale.

In its third era of Formula One activities, Honda has been participating in Formula One races from the 2000 season, initially with BAR, by adopting a new format of jointly developing racing machines. Subsequently, in a move to meet the changing environment surrounding Formula One, we switched to running a 100% Honda owned team commencing with the 2006 season.

Surmounting many challenges, the Honda Team achieved a Grand Prix victory in 2006, enabling Honda to receive overwhelming support from Honda fans around the world that were looking forward to greater success. It, therefore, has been an extremely difficult decision for us to come to this conclusion without having been able to fully meet the expectations of our fans.

By making the best of what we have learned during these times of economic turmoil, coupled with the spirit of challenge gained through active participation in racing, we intend to continue with our commitment in meeting new challenges.

Finally, we would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank our fans and all those who have supported Honda’s Formula One efforts, including everyone in the world of Formula One.

Thank you very much.

Takeo Fukui
President and CEO
Honda Motor Co., Ltd.

F1 : Honda will not offer Formula 1 engines to team buyer
Source/Credit - GMM
Fukui
Fukui
As expected, Honda Motor Company chief Takeo Fukui in Tokyo confirmed on Friday afternoon that the Japanese manufacturer is withdrawing from Formula One ahead of the 2009 season.

He said the decision was taken as a result of the prevailing conditions in the automotive sales sector, including a near unprecedented decline of more than 30 per cent in its biggest market, the United States, last month.

Fukui also revealed that Honda will not even remain involved in Formula 1 as an engine supplier, despite attempts to sell the Brackley based team as a going concern before the 2009 season commences in late March.

Instead, it is understood that Honda team boss and former Ferrari technical director Ross Brawn has arranged that a buyer of the Brackley outfit will be powered by 2.4 litre Ferrari V8s.

2008 constructors' world champions Ferrari have the capacity to supply an extra team next year, given the switch of customer partner Force India to Mercedes power.

According to early speculation, one potential buyer of the team could be Dubai International Capital (DIC), which came close to buying Super Aguri when Honda pulled its support for the satellite team earlier this year.

F1 : Dani Clos to test Williams Formula 1 car again
Source/Credit - GMM
Clos
Clos
Dani Clos, a young Spanish racing driver, will reappear at the wheel of a Williams at next week's Formula One test at Jerez.

The 19-year-old F3 Euroseries competitor from Barcelona was among the rookies in action at the Spanish circuit in September for the Formula One 'Young Driver Day'.

Clos will drive on Monday, as teams gather for the last two weeks of testing before Christmas.

"It is another great opportunity to demonstrate my abilities," he is quoted as saying by the Spanish sports newspaper Marca.

"I have been working closely with the team and we have a really good relationship now," Clos added.

F1 : Mika Hakkinen backs medals concept for Formula 1
Source/Credit - GMM
Hakkinen
Hakkinen
Mika Hakkinen has backed Bernie Ecclestone's proposal to introduce an Olympic Games style system of coloured medals for the scoring of the Formula One Drivers' World Championship.

The Finn, who still would have won his titles in 1998 and 1999 under the Formula 1 Chief Executive's proposed system, said he believes medals rather than points would better motivate the drivers.

"I have thought about it and I must say I think the concept is very good," Hakkinen, 40, told motorline.cc on a visit to Austria.

"Sometimes when you are in a Grand Prix and in fifth place, you think 'ok, a few points'. But with the medal system you would be under more pressure to move forward to get a medal," he said.

Hakkinen, therefore, believes the system would spice up the racing beneath the top three finishers, amid some commentator's view that they will be unmotivated because of the lost incentive of points down to eighth place.

"Instead they would have a bigger goal and there would be more fights," he insisted.

F1 : FiA statement on Formula One costs after Honda withdrawal announcement
Source/Credit - FiA
The announcement of Honda’s intended withdrawal from Formula One has confirmed the FiA’s longstanding concern that the cost of competing in the World Championship is unsustainable.

In the FiA’s view, the global economic downturn has only exacerbated an already critical situation.

As the guardians of the sport, the FiA is committed to working with the commercial rights holder and the remaining members of FOTA to ensure that Formula One becomes financially sustainable.

The FiA President has today sent the attached letter to all of the Formula One teams:

Further to my letter of 18 November (see below), we have completed the tendering process and are now in exclusive negotiations with Cosworth together with Xtrac and Ricardo Transmissions (XR) to supply a complete Formula One power train starting in 2010.

The engine will be a current Formula One engine while the transmission will be state of the art Formula One and a joint effort by two companies which already supply transmissions to most of the grid.

The cost to each team taking up this option will be an up front payment of €1.97 million Euros and then €6.42 million Euros per season for each of the three years of the supply contract (2010, 2011, 2012).

This price is based on four teams signing up and includes full technical support at all races and official tests, plus 30 000 km of testing.

he annual cost will reduce if more teams take up the option, for example to €5.84 million Euro per team with eight teams. It will further reduce if less than 30 000 km of testing is required. Neither engine nor transmission will be badged.

As suggested in my letter of 18 November, teams participating in the 2010 Championship would then have three options:

The above.

The right to build an engine themselves, identical to the above, having been supplied with all the necessary technical information.

The right to continue to use their existing engine, with the current ban on development and requirement for engine parity still in place.

Teams opting for one of the latter two options would nevertheless use the XR transmission.

In combination with the programme of cost reductions for the chassis, race weekend and team home base outlined in my letter of 18 November, these arrangements have a number of advantages. These include:

- Enabling the independent teams to survive in the current difficult economic climate.

- Facilitating the replacement of a manufacturer team if we suffer additional losses.

- Stabilising Formula One while new road relevant technologies are introduced together with a state of the art high tech engine, which could be in Formula One as early as 2013 should the car industry by then be in a position to fund its development.

- Avoiding any change to the Formula One spectacle and keeping the technology at current levels.

These arrangements are on the basis that at least four teams enter into contracts to use the power train described above, and do so no later than close of business (5pm CET) on Thursday 11 December 2008.

In the event of fewer than four teams signing up, the FiA may still proceed but the price on offer will vary. The supply contracts will be with Cosworth but in the first instance teams are requested to make their intentions known to my office.

Yours sincerely,
Max Mosley

*******

Letter of 18 November 2008 from Max Mosley:

Thank you for your letter of 4 November.

As you already know, your earlier letter of 31 October reached us in time for the proposal signed by all the teams on 30 October to be put before the World Motor Sport Council, who agreed to it. I am pleased to say that the three-race engine will therefore be part of the 2009 regulations.

However, your letter of 4 November did not reach me until after the beginning of the meeting on 5 November and we were therefore unable to deal with it.

Having now had an opportunity to review your letter of 4 November, I must say we greatly appreciate what is clearly a significant effort to reduce costs.

However, cost reductions of the order mentioned in your third paragraph are inadequate having regard to the current economic situation. Reductions of €20-48 million Euro per year will not save the independent teams, nor will they reduce the budgets of the major manufacturers to a level at which we can feel confident of their continued participation.

If I may approach the questions in more detail:

Power Train

- Engines

We understand that the FOTA proposal is to produce a €5 million Euro engine from 2011. We are in fact looking for a complete power train for less than €5 million Euro and we believe it is essential to have this in place for 2010 and not wait until 2011. By 2011, it may be too late.

Furthermore, we understand that instead of an inexpensive but high tech in line 4 cylinder engine, FOTA are now considering developing a brand new V6 for 2011. In our view, the latter would rightly be seen by the public as an inferior version of what we already have and be a waste of development money. There is a strong case for deferring the introduction of a new engine until the manufacturers are in a better position to fund its development. This would imply the use of an interim engine until at least 2013, as suggested in the note which was sent to you on 14 October.

- Transmission

In order to achieve significant savings, there is a very strong financial case for a standard gearbox and an even stronger financial case for a ten race standard gearbox with fixed ratios, serviced only by the supplier. We should like to discuss these possibilities with FOTA.

- Complete power train

We are now confident that we will be able to source a power train which is visually, technically and audibly indistinguishable from the power trains currently in use, for significantly less than €10m per team per season. We would then be able to
offer each competing team three options:

(i) the FiA sourced power train or
(ii) the right to build an engine identical to the FiA sourced engine or
(iii) to continue with a current engine and to operate it within the constraints of the 2010 regulations.

An engine with less than current Formula One technology in combination with a ten race gearbox would come in under the original €5 million Euro budget. However, the attractions of continuing to use full current Formula One technology for less than €10 million are significant.

- Chassis

We note the list of elements attached to your letter of 4 November, but I would reiterate the point made in my letter of 27 October. A more rigorous analysis is needed in which every element of the chassis is looked at, so that a considered decision can be taken as to whether it should or should not remain a performance differentiator. Only by considering each individual element can a proper analysis of the chassis be made and a reasoned decision be taken as to what costs might be saved and in which way.

We are therefore going to revise the chassis rules for 2010. We would like to do this in consultation with FOTA. The plan is to make a list of every single chassis component and then, one by one, decide whether or not each component should be a performance differentiator. At present, virtually every component has an effect on performance even if only minimal. In today's ultra competitive F1 this has led to vast sums of money being spent on items which make no difference to the appeal of F1 and contribute nothing to technology. This money is therefore being wasted. In the present economic climate, that cannot continue.

Having considered each component and decided whether or not it should continue to be a performance differentiator, we would have three lists of components: List A: those which will continue to affect performance, List B: those which will no longer affect performance and List C: those which it is customary to purchase from outside suppliers.

We will put out to tender the supply of each of the List B components and all teams would then use them. The same would apply to items on List C whose cost is other than trivial. We will also introduce rules to prevent teams using very expensive materials and/or manufacturing processes for List A components.

From this will follow a very clear and simple definition of a customer car, namely one which does not incorporate any component which features on List A if it is also to be found on another competing car.

Whether so called customer cars should be admitted to the Championship and, if so, on what terms, is a matter for discussion with the teams and the commercial rights holder.

- Race Weekend

We will revise the regulations governing the race weekend in exactly the same way. We will look at each item of expenditure and consider whether it can be eliminated without affecting the spectacle. All such items will be eliminated unless they are likely genuinely to affect safety or the teams need to keep them for marketing reasons. Again, we should prefer to do this in consultation with FOTA.

From this will follow whether any, and if so what, changes to the regulations or procedures should be made.

- The home base

Similarly, all aspects of R&D at a team's factory must be looked at. These include limitations on wind tunnel use and the maximum scale of the models, restrictions on CFD and the use of simulators of all kinds as well as numerous other items. I believe FOTA are currently working on proposals which we look forward to receiving.

The target

As mentioned above, reductions of €20-€48 million Euro per year are inadequate. In present circumstances we need to introduce radical change before it is forced upon us. Fortunately, Formula One is currently a business from which more than 80% of the costs can be removed without affecting the "product" in a way which the customers would notice.

In order to ensure the survival of the Formula One World Championship with confidence, we believe that costs must come down to the point where the income from FOM, split among 12 teams, will cover all a team's costs except for the power train, the drivers and marketing. If expenditure exceeds this level by anything other than a marginal amount, we cannot be confident that enough of the current teams will survive to ensure a viable championship.

When we enter the era of a new, low cost, high tech engine, we would expect the manufacturers to help us frame regulations to ensure that the research and development associated with the new engine is useful for their core business. The regulations should also ensure that the cost per kilometre of operating the new engine is far lower than today's cost.

In the meantime, the power train as outlined above will be much less expensive, but nevertheless maintain current technical levels and ensure that an entertaining and viable World Championship continues, apparently unchanged.

With these arrangements in place, the FiA would join with FOTA in seeking to persuade FOM to divide the prize money so that up to 12 teams are guaranteed at least €40 million Euro each. This would ensure a full grid with a strong possibility that new teams will enter the Championship, filling the two vacant slots as well as any additional vacancies.

Finally, I should make it clear that the FiA has an absolute duty to ensure that its Formula One World Championship continues. When a problem such as the current worldwide financial crisis emerges, the FiA must rapidly introduce whatever regulations it judges necessary to ensure the survival of its principal championship.

We will, of course, always do this in consultation with the stakeholders and we will try hard to accommodate the wishes of at least a majority of the teams.

However, we must recognise that in an extreme situation, not all teams may agree with our measures. We appreciate that in these circumstances some teams might decide not to enter the World Championship and opt instead for some other professional racing series.

Furthermore, we are, of course, always ready to sanction an international series for teams which wish to run under regulations other than those of Formula One. We would require only that the series in question did not fall below current safety standards and met the generally accepted criteria of sporting fairness.

We would, of course, not be concerned with the financial viability of a series which was not part of an FiA championship, nor with the amount of money spent by participants.

As always, I and my advisers remain ready to meet the teams at short notice.

Yours sincerely.
Max Mosley

F1 : Cosworth wins FiA Formula 1 engine tender
Source/Credit - GMM
Cosworth has won the tender to supply a low cost engine and transmission package in 2010 and beyond, Formula One's governing body announced on Friday.

In the wake of Honda's shock departure from the sport, the FiA said in a statement that the news confirmed its fears about the current financial format, and sent a letter to team bosses.

It is revealed that the cost to teams wanting to use the un-badged Cosworth engine option will be $2m euros, plus 5.5 million euros each season.

"The annual cost will reduce if more (than four) teams take up the option," FiA president Max Mosley wrote.

Teams not wanting to use the standard engine have "the right to build an engine themselves", or a de-tuned version of their current 2.4 litre V8's, but must use a standard transmission supplied by Ricardo Transmissions, a British company.

Mosley said the measures will help small teams survive, and also pave the way for the replacement of more outgoing manufacturers, "as seems likely" to be necessary.

He wants four teams to sign up the scheme by next Thursday, or the price may go up.

F1 : Nick Fry hopeful Honda Formula 1 team will be sold
Source/Credit - GMM
Fry
Fry
Nick Fry on Friday said he is confident Honda will find a buyer for the Brackley based Formula One team and be on the grid as scheduled in Melbourne next March.

Citing the world economic situation, in which sales of motor cars has crashed, Honda Motor Company announced from Tokyo that it will no longer be involved with the sport.

The team is therefore currently on the market, and in a race against time to find a buyer before the factory doors are closed.

Team Chief Executive Fry told the BBC: "In the last 12 hours we've had three serious people come and suggest they'd like to buy the team."

Honda, although uncompetitive in the last two years, spent most of last season working on its 2009 car.

Honda is prepared to assume any debts, and sell the team as a going concern for a nominal sum.

"I've no doubt Honda would have been in the top four next year without any problems," said Formula 1 Chief Executive Bernie Ecclestone.

"They've spent a lot of money to put themselves in that position so if anyone does want to be in Formula 1 this is a team they should look to buy."

"It's a big opportunity for any company that's run efficiently to benefit," he said.

Fry revealed that should the team survive, Jenson Button is first in line for a race seat.

"He has a contract with the team for next year," Fry said, referring to the 28-year-old British driver.

He said a decision about Button's team-mate, with Rubens Barrichello, Bruno Senna and Lucas di Grassi believed to be in the reckoning, has not yet been taken.

F1 : Max Mosley - Honda exit is Formula 1 warning
Source/Credit - GMM
Mosley
Mosley
Max Mosley on Friday derided the efforts of Formula One teams to cut costs.

Following the meeting of the FOTA alliance in Switzerland on Thursday, where bosses learned of Honda's withdrawal from the sport, the FiA President slammed their decisions as "fiddling about" rather than getting serious about reducing spending.

In Geneva, the bosses agreed a new package of cost cutting measures, including a new engine formula for 2011 and reduced testing.

But to the BBC, Mosley dismissed their efforts as mere "fiddling about".

On Friday, he vowed to push ahead with the idea of standardised engines, arguing the withdrawal of Honda for economic reasons is a "very significant warning" that drastic action is required.

"If the teams don't notice now what's happened, you have to abandon all hope for them," said Mosley.

He claims that if the team bosses were in charge of the sport, Formula 1 would "lose one team after another and we would end up with no teams at all, or a grid that lacked all credibility".

Formula 1 Chief Executive Bernie Ecclestone played down the situation.

"Formula 1 is in no bigger crisis than any other company in the world at the moment but the world won't stop, that's for sure," he said.

F1 : 2008 Jerez - December test - Provisional driver line-up
Source/Credit - F1SA
Below is a provisional list of the drivers to test for the teams taking part.

Formula One returns to the Circuito de Jerez next week from Tuesday the 9th to Thursday the 11th of December with a collective total of six teams instead of the seven originally planned in the beginning.

Team Tuesday Wednesday Thursday
BMW Sauber Christian Klien / Nick Heidfeld Robert Kubica / Nick Heidfeld Robert Kubica / Christian Klien
Ferrari Kimi Raikkonen / Felipe Massa Kimi Raikkonen / Felipe Massa Kimi Raikkonen / Felipe Massa
McLaren Mercedes Pedro de la Rosa / Gary Paffet Pedro de la Rosa / Heikki Kovalainen Pedro de la Rosa / Heikki Kovalainen
Renault F1 Nelson Piquet Fernando Alonso Fernando Alonso
Toro Rosso (*) Sebastien Buemi / Sebastien Bourdais Sebastien Buemi / Sebastien Bourdais or Takuma Sato Sebastien Buemi / Sebastien Bourdais or Takuma Sato
Williams F1 Nico Hulkenberg Nico Rosberg Nico Rosberg

(*) No official confirmation from the team.

F1 : Honda team calls off December Jerez Formula 1 tests
Source/Credit - GMM
Button
Button
Brawn
Brawn
Jenson Button on Friday reacted to the news he could be without a Formula One cockpit for the 2009 season by travelling to Honda's Brackley factory.

It was business as usual at the UK facility, on the outskirts of the town in Northamptonshire, even though in a best case scenario many of the 700 strong workforce may be laid off.

"We need to stay positive ourselves and as one team because if we are not, no one will be interested in taking it over," the 28-year-old British driver said, according to AP.

One group of designers were said to already be working on accommodating a different engine in the 2009 car, after Honda said from Tokyo it did not want to be "half in and half out" of the sport by remaining as a mere supplier.

The race is on to find a serious buyer before Christmas, and, if that is the case, Honda is willing to keep the factory running and staff fully paid up so that a deal can be finalised in time for the first Grand Prix of 2009.

"I believe we have got a front running car already designed," said boss Ross Brawn, although it is believed he has called off the team's attendance at the two Jerez tests before Christmas.

A team and driver line-up for the Jerez test next week was announced today.

F1 : After the Honda Formula 1 shock Bruno Senna cannot wait forever
Source/Credit - adrivo.com Motorsport Magazin
Senna
Senna
Bruno Senna thought he was so close to realising his long cherished Formula One ambitions.

Then came the shocking news that Honda were withdrawing from Formula 1 with immediate effect. Senna’s main hope must now be that the team finds a buyer who also happens to be impressed by his recent test performance and by the potential pulling power of his name.

But the Brazilian has no intention of sitting on his hands. “We’ll have to look around and see what other options are open to us,” said Senna in an interview with Motorsports-Magazine.com.

“These things happen. It’s never been easy to get into Formula One, you just have to keep plugging away and see what turns up.”

Obviously, he is hoping that the now ex-Honda team keeps going: “And I’m not burn any bridges there, but I can’t wait for ever. On the other hand, the financial situation is tough everywhere at the moment and it is difficult to see where things are heading. So in the circumstances, you have to be very flexible.”

MOTOR SPORT HEADLINES

F1SA

Dec 6, 2008, 8:00:02 PM12/6/08
to fos...@hotmail.com
© News from F1SA - Motor Sport News
F1

F1 : Nick Fry September 2008 - 120 percent of Honda resources going into 2009
Source/Credit - 422race.com
Fry
Fry
An interview with Fry shows how different the situation for the Formula 1 team was just three months ago.

Formula One means speed, not only on the track, but also behind the scenes. The recent shock decision by Honda to quit shows just that.

It's 14th September, a few hours after the conclusion of the Italian Formula One Grand Prix and Nick Fry gives a video interview where he declares: "We are putting 120% of the resource into 2009".

Less than 90 days later we are confronted with the surprise that Honda won't even race in 2009. Of course the economic crisis played its part, but this event is a symptom of a structural problem within Formula One, which could get even worse in the near future.

Here's what Honda Racing F1 Team's Chief Executive Officer said in the video interview with 422race.com.

On the 2008 season:
"I think we have to divide the season into two halves. On the track the performance is weak, but in many ways that was to be expected, because we are putting 120% of the resource into next year's car. For us next year is a much bigger opportunity, the aerodinamic changes, the addition of the KERS system, really gives us an opportunity to improve significantly. So we had to take a tough decision, which is really not to focus too much on this year's car and to work on next year's car. So inside the factory, very positive; on track at the moment, very very disappointing."

On the new technical regulation for 2009:
"Firstly, the changes are very positive. The idea of reducing the aerodinamic downforce and substituting more mechanical grip through the tyres is a good one. It should make the cars more fun to drive and the races more competitive. I think the whole concept is a good one. Of course the environmental concept is very important to the Honda team. We are a company that generally sells smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles, so for Formula One to go in a more environmentally friendly direction is very positive. The KERS system is very similar to the system we use on the Honda Civic road car, so we have some experience in that area. And having some similarities between the Formula One car and the road car is very important, because one should lead the other. So we're very strong, we like the KERS idea. We've had no problems. Obviously you're dealing with high powered electrical systems, so you have to be very careful, but there are many other areas of the Formula One car where you need to take good care."

F1 : Bruno Senna to seek other Formula 1 options for 2009
Source/Credit - GMM
Senna
Senna
Bruno Senna may now turn to the Toro Rosso team to fulfil his desire to join the Formula One ranks in 2009.

With Friday's shock news that Honda is pulling out of the sport with immediate effect, so disappeared the 25-year-old Brazilian's best hope of making his Grand Prix debut next year.

Senna's chances at Toro Rosso have also throttled back in recent days, after his late uncle Ayrton's close friend and former McLaren team-mate Gerhard Berger withdrew his 50 per cent stake.

"We'll have to look around and see what other options are open to us," Senna told motorsports-magazine.com in the wake of the Honda announcement.

"These things happen. It's never been easy to get into Formula One, you just have to keep plugging away and see what turns up."

One option for Senna is to hope the Brackley based Honda team finds a buyer before the Australian Grand Prix.

"I'm not burning any bridges there, but I can't wait forever. On the other hand, the financial situation is tough everywhere at the moment and it is difficult to see where things are heading."

"So in the circumstances, you have to be very flexible," said Senna.

F1 : Honda to stay in IndyCar Series and MotoGP
Source/Credit - GMM
Honda on Friday announced its immediate withdrawal from Formula One, but the Japanese marque's commitment to the US IndyCar Series and premier motorcycling remains intact.

Honda is also closely involved with America's premier open wheel category, but the California based Honda Performance Development (HPD) told us the manufacturer's US based activities "are expected to continue in 2009 ... and beyond".

IndyCar team boss Mark Johnson, meanwhile, explained that Honda's racing model in the US series is fundamentally different to Formula 1.

"HPD is charged with making money, it is a revenue generating company," he is quoted as saying by the Indianapolis Star.

Honda's motorcycling programmes, including in superbikes and MotoGP, also seem unaffected by the Formula 1 decision.

Honda Racing's Neil Tuxworth told BBC Radio Lincolnshire: "Car and motorcycle racing are run by different divisions so this will have no effect on the motorcycling side."

Honda president Takeo Fukui, meanwhile, said on Friday the 2009 Japanese Grand Prix, to be held at the Honda owned Suzuka, will take place as scheduled.

The manufacturer is also involved in other series, including through its Acura badge in Le Mans racing.

Fukui said: "Regarding other categories, we start thinking now as to what we should do."

F1 : Other car makers committed to Formula 1
Source/Credit - GMM
Formula 1's other manufacturer backed teams have rushed to insist their commitment to the sport is not diminished by Honda's shock decision to quit amid the worsening slump in global car sales.

Mercedes-Benz's Norbert Haug said the German marque's involvement with the McLaren effort is financially sound and subsidised by team sponsors, but said cost cutting is important.

"Over the next two years we must achieve cuts of at least 50 percent," he said.

Media reports on Friday said the next most likely manufacturer to withdraw from Formula One is Toyota, but Japan's other entrant said in a statement it is committed for now to the sport and the teams' efforts to cut costs.

Toyota said it is "committed to succeeding in Formula One and to reducing costs".

BMW board member Klaus Draeger said Formula 1 "is an integral part of the company strategy".

"There is no better platform than Formula One for demonstrating our brand values," he said of the German manufacturer, involved in Formula 1 since 2000, and currently with its majority ownership of BMW Sauber.

"The cost benefit ratio is commensurately positive," he added, and a Renault spokesman said the French marque is similarly committed.

Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo, as head of the Formula 1 teams' alliance FOTA, said the Italian marque and the other teams are working hard to reduce the costs in the "short and long term".

FiA president Max Mosley, however, is extremely pessimistic about the sustainability of Formula 1 in its current guise, slamming FOTA's most recent efforts to cut costs as "fiddling about".

Nick Fry, Honda's Formula 1 Chief Executive, agrees that the risk of more manufacturers following Honda out the door is real.

"The reason they are in Formula 1 has gone for the moment, selling cars," he said.

"The danger is that Honda might start a domino effect. That is the nightmare scenario," he admitted to the British newspaper Express.

F1 : Jenson Button could drive Toro Rosso at next weeks Formula 1 test
Source/Credit - GMM
Button
Button
Contracted Honda Formula One driver Jenson Button could flee the beleaguered team before the start of the 2009 season.

Although publicly committed to the Brackley based outfit in the wake of Honda's Friday pullout, it is believed the 28-year-old driver is actually furious his loyalty to Honda has left him without a guaranteed race seat.

His management is understood to have demanded clarification as to the binding nature of his newly penned contract, given the fact that the sole financier will no longer be involved.

Honda President Takeo Fukui on Friday apologised to Button, and admitted that talks will be instigated to "undo" the Briton's commitment to the Formula 1 team.

Button may therefore be considering simply jumping ship rather than hanging around to see if the British based team can find a buyer before the Australian Grand Prix in late March.

The Guardian newspaper reports that, amid the Honda news, Toro Rosso made an approach to Button, as it seeks to finalise its driver lineup for next year.

Sources close to the Faenza based team, run by Franz Tost who in 2000 worked with Button at BMW powered Williams, said Button could be invited to test a Toro Rosso at Jerez next week.

Of all the teams testing at Jerez next week, Scuderia Toro Rosso is the only team not to confirm a driver line-up .

F1 : David Richards eyes axed Honda Formula 1 team
Source/Credit - GMM
Richards
Richards
David Richards is believed to be perhaps the most serious of the prospective buyers of Honda's Formula One team.

As alluded to by Honda figures as well as Formula 1 powerbrokers Bernie Ecclestone and Max Mosley, there is already interest in the Brackley based team, which on Friday was put on the market by the struggling Japanese carmaker Honda.

To boost the chances of a sale, embarrassed Honda has offered to bear the team's outstanding debts, and offer for sale the excellent facilities of the Brackley based squad for a nominal fee as low as $1.

The successful buyer would have to convince Honda that it could safeguard the future of the team, even if many of the 700 employees would be retrenched as the annual budget is slashed from its current $300 million to as little as $70m.

The British newspaper The Daily Telegraph said the most serious buyer, believed to be the Prodrive chief David Richards, could be in a position to seal the deal by the end of this weekend.

56-year-old Richards is no stranger to the team, having been brought in to run its previous BAR incarnation in 2001.

Prodrive was slated to join the Formula 1 grid in 2008, but Richards pulled out because his plans involved running a controversial McLaren Mercedes customer package.

F1 : Luca di Montezemolo - Unanimous decision to reduce Formula 1 costs
Source/Credit - Ferrari Media
Montezemolo
Montezemolo
A very delicate moment for Formula 1 - Montezemolo Q&A.

Honda announced its decision to retire from the Formula 1 Championship, just a few hours after the FOTA had unanimously decided further significant cost cuts in Formula 1 already starting in the upcoming season.

Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo gave an exclusive interview to the team website as far as these issues are concerned.

President Montezemolo, what is your reaction to Honda's announcement to retire from Formula 1?

"I'm really sorry to hear this and I am close to the men of the team in this very difficult moment. Unfortunately these things can happen in difficult times like these. Over the years we've seen coming and going several constructors in Formula 1."

The FOTA's executive committee met yesterday in London. What decisions have been taken there?

"First of all I want to say that I was very satisfied with the meeting's extremely cooperative climate. We unanimously took some very important decisions with short term and mid term impact, for the years 2009 and 2010, while we also set out a proposal for a new engine starting in 2011. We gave a further input as far as cost reduction is concerned to help especially the smaller teams over the upcoming season. It's a huge effort from all of us, which is important for two reasons: firstly because it wasn't planned, considering what has been planned a few weeks ago, and secondly, because it happens in a very delicate overall economical situation."

Do you think that things are going in the right direction?

"I think that we've given an unanimous reply to the requests FIA has made several times; therefore we've shown that we have a great capacity to react and to suggest solutions, backed by all of us protagonists in Formula 1, from the big car manufacturers to the independent teams. The aim is to reach unanimous decisions, which satisfy all our requests, while we don't touch Formula 1 as a sporty and technological competition amongst teams."

What are the next steps?

"In the short run we'll organize a meeting with Max Mosley to present him the details of our proposals and to discuss with him how to improve the show our sport offers. Furthermore we also agreed that it's necessary to meet with Bernie Ecclestone to talk about the distribution as far as the earnings are concerned."

In another statement from FOTA:
The Chairman of  FOTA, Luca di Montezemolo, has been informed by the top management of the Honda Racing F1 Team of the decision to retire from the FiA Formula One Championship in 2009.

FOTA wishes that the technologically advanced expertise of the Team based in Brackley is not dispersed and that the sporting challenge is resumed soon. Chairman Montezemolo, interpreting the feeling of all FOTA Members, expressed his greatest appreciation for the professional and human qualities of Ross Brawn, Honda Team Principal, and Nick Fry, Honda Racing F1 Team CEO.

MOTOR SPORT HEADLINES

F1SA

Dec 7, 2008, 8:00:13 PM12/7/08
to fos...@hotmail.com
© News from F1SA - Motor Sport News
F1

F1 : One more Formula 1 team could follow Honda exit
Source/Credit - GMM
As the shock news of Honda's Formula One departure sinks in, fears that another team could drop off the 2009 grid are rising.

It was thought Japanese rival Toyota could be the most likely to follow the auto making giant out of the paddock, amid an even worse slump in car sales figures in the key US market.

But it is Red Bull, the Austrian energy drinks company, and owner of two teams, that has issued the most worrying statement, stating it is "not surprised" by Honda's decision.

"Numerous other race teams are having similar thoughts," the Austrian group is quoted as saying by AFP.

"The main issue now is whether the reductions in costs all of us must make will come quickly enough to guarantee a sufficient number of teams carrying on."

Even the sport's major players, like 2008 drivers' world champions McLaren, are feeling the pinch, with team boss Ron Dennis telling The Observer that annual turnover is likely to drop nearly $150m because of the downturn.

"Our budgets come from the advertising budgets of the companies that support us, and inevitably advertising budgets get slashed or, at least are significantly trimmed in times of economic strife," he said.

Ferrari and McLaren's ongoing participation is solid, but all the signs suggest that one more team could go missing ahead of next March's Australian Grand Prix.

Williams' Chief Executive Adam Parr told The Times that he expects eight teams to line up on the Melbourne grid. Similarly, Gerhard Berger, the recently departed Toro Rosso co-owner, told Germany's Der Spiegel that "the only question is 'who is next?'"

Asked by the Press Association if he can imagine another team following Honda out the door, FiA president Max Mosley answered "yes".

F1 : Formula 1 teams undecided over medals scoring proposal
Source/Credit - GMM
The Formula 1 teams' alliance FOTA last Thursday kicked off discussions about Bernie Ecclestone's proposals for an Olympic Games style 'medals' scoring system.

The 78-year-old Formula 1 Chief Executive seems to have jumped the gun recently, when he declared that "all the teams are happy, and the FiA are happy" to proceed with his idea to ditch the current system of awarding drivers' points down to eighth place.

A discussion among the teams actually commenced only in Geneva last Thursday, meaning it is not known if Ecclestone's concept will have the requisite support when the World Motor Sport Council meets in the coming days.

"We are discussing this issue in FOTA and we have not come to a clear opinion as yet," BMW Sauber team boss Mario Theissen told DNA India in an interview.

"However, we will soon come to a joint conclusion and respond to Bernie's proposal. It won't be fair to express an opinion now," the German said.

In the wake of Honda's shock announcement on Friday that it is leaving the sport, FiA president Max Mosley ridiculed the idea of shaking up the points system as akin to worrying about "the colour of the wallpaper when you're on a sinking ship".

He subsequently told the Press Association: "I'd be inclined to go for medals, but I'd really like to listen to what everybody says about it because when you make these big changes, sometimes there are unintended consequences."

"My real preference would be to ask the public. I think we ought to do a bit of market research," said Mosley.

F1 : Jenson Button open to offers to stay in Formula 1
Source/Credit - GMM
Button
Button
In the wake of Honda's shock withdrawal from Formula One, contracted driver Jenson Button says he will contemplate any offers to race elsewhere in 2009.

Following the Honda news, it emerged that the 28-year-old Briton recently penned a new Honda deal, that will according to the marque's president Takeo Fukui now be "undone" at Button's request.

"If Jenson gets an opportunity we will sit down and see what the situation here is and what opportunity he has got," Honda team boss Ross Brawn is quoted as saying by The News of the World.

Honda is seeking a buyer for the Brackley based team prior to the 2009 season.

Brawn added: "If we can keep him here we will be delighted but we also understand that it is very difficult for an Formula 1 driver to miss a season, unlike engineers."

Although embroiled in contractual wrangling in the past, Button has remained loyal to Honda for several years now, but said his overriding goal is to race.

"I want to race in Formula 1," he told the Daily Express. "I am happy to listen to anybody who will give me the opportunity to do so, whatever the cost."

It is suggested that Button's best options for 2009 are remaining at a re-badged Honda team, or switching to Red Bull's second Formula 1 outfit, Toro Rosso.

A STR source told the News of the World that Button "would not need to do an audition" should he be interested in a switch, but the official message from the team is different.

According to a Red Bull statement carried by the news agency AFP, Honda's withdrawal "will have no impact on the choice of Toro Rosso's pilots".

MOTOR SPORT HEADLINES