Connecting SQLBase 6 through ODBC

Helen Wells

Nov 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/15/00
I have found a copy of SQLBase 6.0.1 and now have created a database called
mydb.dbs.

I am trying to create an ODBC connection to it using the ODBC32 utility in
the Windows Control panel.

I specify my database name but when I try the Test Conection I get the
message:

"[MERANT][ODBC SqlBase driver][SQLBase]09293 GCI NDL Cannot load any
communication DLLs, network may not be installed"

Can anyone tell me what settings I should have in my sql.ini file if I am
trying to connect to a local desktop database. I am not sure which sections
I need. A sample sql.ini file would be appreciated. Also where should this
sql.ini file be located in relation to the database - the database is in
C:\SQLBase6\mydb directory.

Thanks and regards,

Helen

Juan Manuel

Nov 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/15/00
Which protocol is your server listening to?

Helen Wells <wells...@aol.com> wrote in message

Helen Wells

Nov 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/15/00
What do you mean by server?

I am using a standalone SQLBase version on a single machine - I don't
actually have a client/server network running - on the PC I have the NetBeui
and TCP/IP protocols installed - can I use the native SQLBase protocol or do
I have to use TCP/IP with the local IP address?

Do I have to have the local database engine running before trying to
connect?

I am only familiar with connecting to SQLBase through native protocol and
that was through SQLWindows - with this the SQLConnect opened the database
engine so I am not sure how it works through ODBC.

Thanks for your help.

Juan Manuel

Nov 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/15/00
I mean SqlBase Server.
If you installed the one user version and left it like that, then it's most
likely configured to work with Anonymous Pipes.
Here's what you'll have to do:

1) Make sure that the following files can be found in your centura directory
or in your path. (sqlws32.dll - sql.ini).

2) Define a DSN connection to SqlBase. (Use windows ODBC 32)

3) Make sure that you only have one sql.ini. Edit your sql.ini file so that
it reads:

[dbnt1sv]
servername=server,sqlws32
cache=1200
sortcache=4000
dbdir=C:\SQLBase6\mydb
tempdir=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
logfileprealloc=1
locktimeout=275

DBNAME=dbname,SQLWS32
;dbname is the name of your database

[dbnt1sv.gui]
MAINWIN=MAX,155,124,773,476
STATWIN=NORM,2,334,800,526
DBWIN=NORM,-2,0,190,139
DISPLEVEL=2
TIMESTAMPS=0

[dbnt1sv.dll]
comdll=SQLWS32

[win32client]
clientname=client32

[win32client.dll]
comdll=sqlws32

[win32client.ws32]
serverpath=pc-name,localhost/*
;pc-name should be the name of your pc

4) Start SqlBase and then test your ODBC connection.

Good luck.

Helen Wells <wells...@aol.com> wrote in message

Helen Wells

Nov 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/15/00
Thanks Juan,

Your last posting helped me a lot.

I can now connect succesfully through the Windows Control Panel ODBC32
Administrator.

However when I now try and connect to the database using the same ODBC
connection through the third-party tool it comes up with the error:

"[MEARNT][ODBC SQLBase drivver]Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr
failed.[MEARNT][ODBC SqlBase driver]Optional feature not
implemented.[MEARNT][ODBC SqlBase driver]03806 RSO SCT Session
closed/terminated

Can you suggest what might be causing this error. Is it because the password
is not saved anywhere?

Thanks in advance,

Helen

Juan Manuel <uds1...@salvador.edu.ar> wrote in message

Juan Manuel

Nov 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/15/00
Weird,
The ODBC driver should ask for username, database and password every time
you try to establish a connection. Which tool are you using?
Could you save your DSN connection as a file DSN and post it?
Can you connect normally with other tools; e.g: SqlTalk?

Helen Wells <wells...@aol.com> wrote in message

Helen Wells

Nov 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/15/00
I created a File DSN pointing to my System DSN. When I opened the file with
Notepad it showed the following:

[ODBC]
DRIVER=Centura SQLBase 3.5 32-bit Driver -NT & Win95
UID=SYSADM
DB=MYDB
SRVR=server1

I can connect with no problem through the ODBC32 Administrator and SQLTalk.
Through SQLTalk I can see all the tables etc.

The tool I am using is FormTool from IMSI software which creates reports.
When you link in a table in the software it shows the list of DSN's. When I
select the System DSN it comes up with the dialog box prompting for the
password (database name and username are already filled in from the DSN).

When I click on OK it comes up with the message I described before.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

Helen

Juan Manuel <uds1...@salvador.edu.ar> wrote in message