Forecastfox 2 FAQ / Info

Jon Stritar

Sep 1, 2010, 1:32:30 PM9/1/10
to forecast...@googlegroups.com
Okay, lots of comments. I probably won't be able to respond to everyone individually, since I'd like to spend time improving Forecastfox!

1. Forecastfox 2 doesn't have feature x!

Please go vote on the features you want on this feedback forum:

http://forecastfox.uservoice.com

The votes will help us prioritize the issues.

2. How can I go back to the old version?

You can download our old versions here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/398/versions/

You should be able to install 0.9.10.2 directly over version 2.

3. Why are you using a web page to customize Forecastfox?

The web page gives us a lot more freedom in our UI. We want to offer just as much customization but in an easier interface. The web page also makes it easier to maintain Forecastfox on other platforms (e.g., on Google Chrome) since it is reusable HTML rather than Firefox specific code.

Your settings are NOT sent to the site. The preferences are stored locally, just as they were with previous versions. The web page is simply an interface for accessing those preferences. Your settings won't be removed when you clear your browser history. We would have prefered to host the page internally in the extension, but since the page uses external scripts (like Google Maps, and the User Voice widget), we need to access it over HTTP for security reasons. Forecastfox is also configured so that only the customization URL can access your Forecastfox preferences (e.g., only www.getforecastfox.com/customize/...).

4. Why can't we customize the toolbar?

We tried to limit the amount of toolbar space Forecastfox uses in version 2 by putting more data in the tooltips and making it easier to customize what data is shown there. We see now that a lot of people like to modify what's directly on the toolbar, so that you don't need to hover the tooltip. We're working on a way to provide this flexibility.

5. Why can't I rotate locations?

We'll add this feature back!

6. Why can't see both day and night on the toolbar?

We only show days since each tooltip has the day and night in it. We can add it back though, and then only show half the tooltip on each.

7. Why can't I view multiple units at the same time (C & F)?

This will be included in the next release.

8. Forecastfox doesn't move when I drag and drop!

I think this is an issue with Forecastfox 2 on Firefox 3.0.*. Please upgrade to Firefox 3.6.8 and drag and drop will work!

9. Why are there only 5 days shown now?

We upgraded to a new feed at AccuWeather that gives us better radar and severe weather alerts, and faster updates. This feed has less days in it though. We'll see what we can do.

10. The text color doesn't match my theme!

We're working on it... You can send me what theme and operating system you're using to help out.

11. How do you get rid of the drag and drop icon?

It should hide itself when you close the customization page.

Thanks
--Jon

Matt Smith

Sep 2, 2010, 12:00:32 PM9/2/10
to forecastfox-users
OOPS....Guess I didn't pay close attention to what I was looking at.

OK...Simplify my last post to: "Could you pease add the option of
adding RealFeel to the toolbar?"

Thanks,
(a very tired)
-- Matt

On Sep 1, 11:32 am, Jon Stritar <jstri...@getforecastfox.com> wrote:
> Okay, lots of comments. I probably won't be able to respond to everyone
> individually, since I'd like to spend time improving Forecastfox!
>
> *1. Forecastfox 2 doesn't have feature x!*
>
> Please go vote on the features you want on this feedback forum:
>
> http://forecastfox.uservoice.com
>
> The votes will help us prioritize the issues.
>
> *2. How can I go back to the old version?*
>
> You can download our old versions here:
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/398/versions/
>
> You should be able to install 0.9.10.2 directly over version 2.
>
> *3. Why are you using a web page to customize Forecastfox?*
>
> The web page gives us a lot more freedom in our UI. We want to offer just as
> much customization but in an easier interface. The web page also makes it
> easier to maintain Forecastfox on other platforms (e.g., on Google Chrome)
> since it is reusable HTML rather than Firefox specific code.
>
> Your settings are NOT sent to the site. The preferences are stored locally,
> just as they were with previous versions. The web page is simply an
> interface for accessing those preferences. Your settings won't be removed
> when you clear your browser history. We would have prefered to host the page
> internally in the extension, but since the page uses external scripts (like
> Google Maps, and the User Voice widget), we need to access it over HTTP for
> security reasons. Forecastfox is also configured so that only the
> customization URL can access your Forecastfox preferences (e.g., onlywww.getforecastfox.com/customize/...).
>
> *4. Why can't we customize the toolbar?*
>
> We tried to limit the amount of toolbar space Forecastfox uses in version 2
> by putting more data in the tooltips and making it easier to customize what
> data is shown there. We see now that a lot of people like to modify what's
> directly on the toolbar, so that you don't need to hover the tooltip. We're
> working on a way to provide this flexibility.
>
> *5. Why can't I rotate locations?*
>
> We'll add this feature back!
>
> *6. Why can't see both day and night on the toolbar?*
>
> We only show days since each tooltip has the day and night in it. We can add
> it back though, and then only show half the tooltip on each.
>
> *7. Why can't I view multiple units at the same time (C & F)?*
>
> This will be included in the next release.
>
> *8. Forecastfox doesn't move when I drag and drop!*
> *
> *I think this is an issue with Forecastfox 2 on Firefox 3.0.*. Please
> upgrade to Firefox 3.6.8 and drag and drop will work!
>
> *9. Why are there only 5 days shown now?*
>
> We upgraded to a new feed at AccuWeather that gives us better radar and
> severe weather alerts, and faster updates. This feed has less days in it
> though. We'll see what we can do.
>
> *10. The text color doesn't match my theme!*
>
> We're working on it... You can send me what theme and operating system
> you're using to help out.
>
> *11. How do you get rid of the drag and drop icon?*

Matt Smith

Sep 2, 2010, 11:52:27 AM9/2/10
to forecastfox-users
Jon,

Thanks for the FAQ's. These seem to cover most of the concerns posted
in the first couple of days, including my own. There's one thing that
is unique to AccuWeather that is now missing from the new feed - the
FeelsLike temp. Unlike the allergy/mold settings, which fall more in
the "would like to have back" category, here on the windy Nebraska
plains, this falls into the "must have asset" category! If there is
any way possible, please put this in the popup and a way to put it in
the toolbar. I actually had it showing in the toolbar (in
parentheses), as well.

Thanks,