Fluid causing errors in system.log

graham

Apr 9, 2009, 4:14:25 PM4/9/09
to fluidapp
My Fluid created Gmail.app was working fine until yesterday when I
noticed my MBP was not sleeping. I looked in Console.app to see this:

4/8/09 8:17:02 AM [0x0-0x69069].com.fluidapp.FluidInstance.Gmail[626]
Wed Apr 8 08:17:02 macbookpro FluidInstance[626] <Error>: Failed to
create window context device
4/8/09 8:17:02 AM [0x0-0x69069].com.fluidapp.FluidInstance.Gmail[626]
Wed Apr 8 08:17:02 macbookpro FluidInstance[626] <Error>:
CGWindowContextCreate: failed to create context delegate.
4/8/09 8:17:03 AM [0x0-0x69069].com.fluidapp.FluidInstance.Gmail[626]
Wed Apr 8 08:17:03 macbookpro FluidInstance[626] <Error>: Failed to
[...]
4/8/09 8:17:04 AM [0x0-0x69069].com.fluidapp.FluidInstance.Gmail[626]
Wed Apr 8 08:17:04 macbookpro FluidInstance[626] <Error>: Failed to
create window context device
4/8/09 8:17:04 AM [0x0-0x69069].com.fluidapp.FluidInstance.Gmail[626]
Wed Apr 8 08:17:04 macbookpro FluidInstance[626] <Error>:
CGWindowContextCreate: failed to create context delegate.
4/8/09 8:17:04 AM [0x0-0x69069].com.fluidapp.FluidInstance.Gmail[626]
Wed Apr 8 08:17:04 macbookpro FluidInstance[626] <Error>: Failed to
create window context device

Nothing comes up in the console as long as Gmail.app is not hidden or
minimized. As soon as I minimize it or hide it I get all of that
garbage in the console.

I tried repairing disk permissions and creating a new Gmail.app but
obviously neither worked.

itod

Apr 9, 2009, 5:23:37 PM4/9/09
to fluidapp
if you are seeing this issue, and you want to help, please *only* do
the following:

send and email to it...@me.com containing:

1. screenshots of the General, Apperance, and Behavior preference
panes of the ssb causing this behavior
2. The version of OS X you are running
3. The latest version of Safari you have installed on your system
4. The version of Fluid your Fluid SSB causing this behavior.

thanks

TD

itod

Apr 9, 2009, 5:24:17 PM4/9/09
to fluidapp
that email address is "itod" at "me" dot com

td

On Apr 9, 2:23 pm, itod <todd.ditchend...@gmail.com> wrote:
> if you are seeing this issue, and you want to help, please *only* do
> the following:
>
> send and email to i...@me.com containing:

Todd Ditchendorf

Apr 9, 2009, 6:04:08 PM4/9/09
to fluidapp
an update on this. so far, it seems a commonality here is that under Behavior Preferences, this is turned on:

"Closing the last browser window only hides the window"

if you are experiencing this issue, i would try turning that setting off. also, if you have this setting off and still experience the issue, *please* do let me know here or via email.

thanks,

TD

Jim Auldridge

Apr 9, 2009, 6:10:04 PM4/9/09
to flui...@googlegroups.com
I've sent my details to the email address specified.

It is only happening when browser windows are hidden--regardless of how they are hidden.

Both of the behavior preferences which cause hidden windows, as well as clicking "Hide" from the dock icon's context menu.

I did report this with some detail on the mailing list a while back, but have had major problems getting submissions to that list to show up on Google Groups (no idea why).

Jim

--
Jim Auldridge
 11012 Lincoln Ave

Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.
--James 1:27 (ESV)

itod

Apr 9, 2009, 6:14:05 PM4/9/09
to fluidapp
an intersting thing to note, a google search on this system.log error
returns many results.

http://www.google.com/search?client=fluid&q=%22CGContextRestoreGState:%20invalid%20context%22

also reports of similar behavior of flooding the system log until the
system freezes (this one in Apple's Pages.app):

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1330725

so whatever fluid is doing to cause this, its in good company :|

td

On Apr 9, 3:10 pm, Jim Auldridge <auldrid...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've sent my details to the email address specified.
> It is only happening when browser windows are hidden--regardless of how they
> are hidden.
>
> Both of the behavior preferences which cause hidden windows, as well as
> clicking "Hide" from the dock icon's context menu.
>
> I did report this with some detail on the mailing list a while back, but
> have had major problems getting submissions to that list to show up on
> Google Groups (no idea why).
> Jim
>
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 6:04 PM, Todd Ditchendorf <todd.ditchend...@gmail.com
>

> > wrote:
> > an update on this. so far, it seems a commonality here is that under
> > Behavior Preferences, this is turned on:
> > "Closing the last browser window only hides the window"
>
> > if you are experiencing this issue, i would try turning that setting off.
> > also, if you have this setting off and still experience the issue, *please*
> > do let me know here or via email.
>
> > thanks,
>
> > TD

itod

Apr 9, 2009, 10:17:37 PM4/9/09
to fluidapp
I have not yet been able to reproduce this on my two machines
(although i've been trying for 2 days). I think there's probably
another variable that contributes to/causes this, but i have no idea
what that is yet. I'll continue to investigate.

td

On Apr 9, 3:14 pm, itod <todd.ditchend...@gmail.com> wrote:
> an intersting thing to note, a google search on this system.log error
> returns many results.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?client=fluid&q=%22CGContextRestoreGState...

slush...@googlemail.com

Apr 15, 2009, 12:45:33 PM4/15/09
to fluidapp
Yup, I'm seeing this with that setting both on and off.

Cheers

On Apr 9, 11:04 pm, Todd Ditchendorf <todd.ditchend...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> an update on this. so far, it seems a commonality here is that under
> Behavior Preferences, this is turned on:
> "Closing the last browser window only hides the window"
>
> if you are experiencing this issue, i would try turning that setting off.
> also, if you have this setting off and still experience the issue, *please*
> do let me know here or via email.
>
> thanks,
>
> TD

MemeStorm

Apr 15, 2009, 8:55:49 AM4/15/09
to fluidapp
I'm experiencing the same thing - and incredible number of messages
are posted.

I get this for Google Reader as well as RememberTheMilk. Minimizing
the window seems to be okay, it's just hiding the window that starts
the trouble. I've tried flicking switches (block popups, remember
last session etc.) but they don't appear to modify the behaviour.

Jon

Todd Ditchendorf

Apr 15, 2009, 3:01:07 PM4/15/09
to flui...@googlegroups.com
after more than a week of trying on two machines, i cannot reproduce this issue.

there is either:
a) another aspect of your systems which is contributing to this issue occurring.

or

b) something about my systems which is preventing it from occurring

Considering the majority of Fluid users have not seen this behavior, i suspect (a). i'm continuing to search for what that might be. at this point i have no idea. :|

td

Jim Auldridge

Apr 15, 2009, 3:04:08 PM4/15/09
to flui...@googlegroups.com
Todd,

I'll be happy to provide you any system configuration data you may need, though I'll wait for it to be requested as I don't want to burry you in data.

Thanks,
Jim

Todd Ditchendorf

Apr 15, 2009, 3:12:35 PM4/15/09
to flui...@googlegroups.com
hey jim,

i had really thought it had something to do with 'hidden windows', so i was trying to collect just information related to that. but now it seems that is not the case.

i am open to any system configuration info anyone is willing to share. also i important may be any webkit or safari plugins you have installed, or just anything unusual about your system especially anything related to webkit or safari or window management. (this may be either something you have installed or some system preference you have set that is not on by default).

please email that stuff to:

itod at mac dot com

thanks again

Todd Ditchendorf

Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence.
- Richard Dawkins

Todd Ditchendorf

Apr 15, 2009, 3:45:47 PM4/15/09
to flui...@googlegroups.com
if anyone who is experiencing this issue, is willing to do a little experimenting, this might be helpful: delete the ssb and it's preferences and support directory, recreate the app and see if the issue still happens:

1) quit your ssb *first*

2) delete your ssb:
/Applications/<my ssb name>

3) delete your ssb prefs:
~/Library/Preferences/com.fluidapp.FluidInstance.<your ssb name>

4) delete the support dir:
~/Library/Application Support/Fluid/SSB/<your ssb name>

5) recreate  the ssb in Fluid.app

i'm wondering if the issue still happens after this? (i think it probably will, but if it doesnt that would be very good information) :|

thanks again,
td

Jim Auldridge

Apr 15, 2009, 4:06:52 PM4/15/09
to flui...@googlegroups.com
Todd,

I have built several SSB's since I first had the problem show up, and have now tested ALL of them  The only ones I am seeing this problem with are the three I have pointed to Google domains: GMail, Google Calendar, and Google Docs.  My other 4 are Pandora, Meebo, Hulu, and my company's corp site.  None of them exhibit this behavior.

Considering I have Google Gears installed with support for all three of those "problem" sites, I wonder if it is related?

Thanks,
Jim

itod

Apr 15, 2009, 4:10:48 PM4/15/09
to fluidapp
thx jim, that's very good to know. i do not have Gears installed on
either of my machines. can anyone else who is experiencing this issue
please chime in and let me know if you have google gears installed?

in the meantime, i will of course test this against gears tonight when
i am back at my dev machines.

td

Jim Auldridge

Apr 15, 2009, 4:16:44 PM4/15/09
to flui...@googlegroups.com
One more bit of info related to Google Gears, a guy at work uses Fluid and has Google gears installed but does not see the problem either.  The difference is that he has not enabled offline mode.  I have it enabled on all 3 of the Google Apps for which I have SSBs and see the issue.

Thanks,
Jim

itod

Apr 15, 2009, 4:18:38 PM4/15/09
to fluidapp

On Apr 15, 1:16 pm, Jim Auldridge <auldrid...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One more bit of info related to Google Gears, a guy at work uses Fluid and
> has Google gears installed but does not see the problem either.  The
> difference is that he has not enabled offline mode.  I have it enabled on
> all 3 of the Google Apps for which I have SSBs and see the issue.
> Thanks,
> Jim

also good to know. thx jim

td

itod

Apr 15, 2009, 7:25:02 PM4/15/09
to fluidapp
OK update on this. *Please note* this is a *preliminary finding* by
me. I have not researched this thoroughly, so please dont interpret
this as me pointing any fingers.

So far on one machine, i see issue consistenly when Gears is
installed. the issue consistently stops immediately when i uninstall
gears. (note this still may be an issue in the Fluid codebase which is
triggered by gears. or it may be an issue in the gears code itself.
not sure yet)

However, if you are seeing this issue and you want to continue to use
your Fluid SSBs, I would advise uninstalling Gears to see if that
fixes the issue for you. If you do, and it does, please let me know.

to uninstall gears, delete these two things (you will have to
authenticate):
"Library/InputManagers/GearsEnabler "
"/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Gears.plugin"

steps:
- I dont have gears installed.
- I created a Google Reader SSB ("reader.google.com" home url)
- Run and hide (cmd-H) the Reader SSB
- no output in the system.log

- quit Reader SSB
- install google gears
- run Reader SSB
- i see the issue. extreme logging to the system.log

- quit Reader SSB
- uninstall gears
- run Reader SSB
- issue is gone

rinse, repeat

I will continue to investigate, and will probably be filing an issue
with gears asap. (but again, the issue may in fact be in fluid but
triggered by gears so i will have to investigate a little further
first).

td

Dan Van Derveer

Apr 16, 2009, 10:27:17 AM4/16/09
to flui...@googlegroups.com
It might be more general than this. I do not have Gears installed on my machine but still have this issue. I do however have the following installed:
1) 1Password
2) Google Talk Video Plugin
3) Safari AdBlock
4) DeliciousSafari

-Dan

graham

Apr 17, 2009, 7:56:11 AM4/17/09
to fluidapp
This worked for me. Thanks a lot itod!

Filipe Rodrigues

Apr 18, 2009, 8:04:49 AM4/18/09
to fluidapp
I also have this issue and I don't have Google Gears installed (I had
once, but I uninstalled and I don't have those files on my system).

Although I have installed:
- 1Password
- Google Talk Plugin
- SIMBL
- Inquisitor (it's not used since I'm running Safari 4 public beta,
and I don't think this may be the issue)

I only have SSBs for Google apps, and this occurs in every app once
it's hidden.

Michael Roper

May 13, 2009, 3:15:27 AM5/13/09
to fluidapp
I had the same issue, with the same plugins as below...
removing the gears plugin didn't fix it, but after removing the google
talk plugin as well, it seems to have fixed the problem..

Proggie

May 12, 2009, 11:41:42 PM5/12/09
to fluidapp
I only started seeing this in SBBs that use google gears and offline
mode (Gmail and RememberTheMilk). I only recently installed Gears. So
I definitely think it is somehow related.

tym

andrewheiss

Jun 13, 2009, 3:44:49 AM6/13/09
to fluidapp
I just started getting this after updating to 10.5.7...I was getting
log files bigger than 2.5 GB.

Uninstalling Gears fixed it...

Any news or updates on how to permanently fix it?

andrewheiss

Jun 15, 2009, 4:55:12 AM6/15/09
to fluidapp
Correction: Removing Gears did not fix it. It's unfortunately back...

ADFernandes

Jun 15, 2009, 11:30:54 PM6/15/09
to fluidapp
Note, to completely (and properly) uninstall gears, you must

sudo /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/Gears.plugin/Contents/Resources/
uninstall.command

Otherwise the google updater will just add it back, and the input
manager will still be present.

Cheers,
-Andrew.

PS - this worked for me - was getting the huge system.log. Used the
above uninstaller, and no problems anymore.

ADFernandes

Jun 16, 2009, 9:20:11 AM6/16/09
to fluidapp
Almost forgot - this sort of uninstall will leave the Gears database
behind. So... to *really* remove everything:

sudo /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/Gears.plugin/Contents/Resources/
uninstall.command
rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/Google\ Gears\ for\
Safari

The first line gets rid of gears properly, the second removes your
personal gears database.

Reboot (just to be on the safe side) or at least quit all open
browsers, and gears should be well and permanently gone.

andrewheiss

Jul 17, 2009, 2:15:45 PM7/17/09
to fluidapp
I think I may have finally found the culprit and fixed the problem.
Removing the Google Talk Browser Plugin (the thing that lets you do
video and voice in Gmail) from /Library/Internet Plug-ins/
googletalkbrowserplugin.plugin fixed it. Better yet, run the uninstall
script that comes in the disk image.

On Jun 15, 11:55 am, andrewheiss <andrewhe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Correction: Removing Gears did not fix it. It's unfortunately back...

Bryce

Jul 28, 2009, 12:39:14 PM7/28/09
to fluidapp
I just wanted to chime in... I've been experiencing this problem for
quite some time now, across all versions of 10.5. I have a number of
plugins and addons, notably 1Password, Gears, Google Talk, Flash, etc.
I came across this discussion today in my search for a remedy. The
first item I tried uninstalling was Google Talk - no change, my Gmail
Fluid app would start spewing messages a few seconds after the page
was loaded. I uninstalled Gears next, and so far no repeat, the
flooding is gone.
Thank you all for the pointers. If there's anything else I can help
with, I'll be more than happy to.