Flint Developers Meeting May 4-12

Bill Hart

Mar 20, 2013, 10:42:15 AM3/20/13
to flint-devel
Hi all,

I have finally managed to confirm May 4-12 for our next flint
developer's workshop at Warwick University in Coventry in the UK.

The meeting will be for people to meet and collaborate with the flint
developers. We won't have a talk schedule, but will spend the week
collaborating and working together, so it should be amazing fun.

Please mark this in your diaries and if you are thinking of coming and
I don't already know, please email me and let me know. I think we will
have about 10 participants based on interest off-list, as we hope to
have visitors from the Macaulay 2, Singular and NTL projects.

As far as funding is involved, due to new funding rules I am only able
to pay the expenses of participants with a lectureship or equivalent
(this is UK austerity speak for "no funding for PhD's or postdocs").
We are doing what we can to find funding for the small number of
graduate students who have already expressed interest. We encourage
others to attend if they can find their own funding. (And yes, I don't
like the new rules either.) However, on the plus side, we really have
a lot of money to fund participants who meet the criteria.

Lunch will be provided on campus. We will be able to reimburse travel
and provide accommodation for those that we are permitted to fund and
pay for their other meals (food will be available at the hotel).

Some possible collaboration topics include:

* LLL in flint
* polynomial factorisation in flint
* linear algebra in flint
* ball arithmetic in arb (a new library by Fredrik Johansson based on flint)
* finite fields in flint
* C++ wrapper for flint
* algebraic number theory in flint
* integer factorisation in flint
* using flint to compute symmetric Hilbert modular forms

I believe we have experts present or coming that will cover all of these areas.

Best Wishes,

Bill.

Fredrik Johansson

Mar 20, 2013, 11:09:22 AM3/20/13
to flint...@googlegroups.com

Very good! Please update www.flintlib.org as well.

I think we should also list this on http://wiki.sagemath.org/Workshops, as working on Sage interfaces to the new flint features certainly would fit. For example there is http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/14304 (New implementation of unramified p-adics using FLINT and templates).

Fredrik

Bill Hart

Mar 20, 2013, 11:20:22 AM3/20/13
to flint...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I agree, we should list this on the Sage wiki for those reasons.
Sounds like an interesting topic to add to the list.

Could you possibly do this and I will update the flint web page?

Bill.
> --
>
> ---

Fredrik Johansson

Mar 20, 2013, 1:16:36 PM3/20/13
to flint...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 4:20 PM, Bill Hart <goodwi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Yes, I agree, we should list this on the Sage wiki for those reasons.
Sounds like an interesting topic to add to the list.

Could you possibly do this and I will update the flint web page?

Done. This is now http://wiki.sagemath.org/FlintDevelopersMeeting2013

Will you cross-post the announcement to sage-devel?

Fredrik

Bill Hart

Mar 20, 2013, 1:40:32 PM3/20/13
to flint...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fredrik,

thanks.

I have already posted to sage-devel, mpir-devel, NMBTHRY and let Keith
Matthews know so it can be posted on the Number Theory Web.

So far Mike Hanson has expressed interest in coming for part of it and
so we can add him to our list of participants.

I also sent out a few invitations to individuals. More of those to come.

Bill.