Flex and Jabber

vinay pillay

Nov 28, 2007, 7:22:10 AM11/28/07
to flex_...@googlegroups.com
Hi friends
I am making a jabber client using a xmpplibrary
Can any one tell me how stable is this protocol
And is functionality like file transfer and transport possible

Any kind of feedback is welcome I am waiting for ur response

Thanks in advance

Abdul Qabiz

Nov 28, 2007, 10:57:29 AM11/28/07
to flex_...@googlegroups.com
Protocol is an industry standard and can do most of stuff (presence, p2p etc).... GTalk runs on Jabber protocol and there are many others...

You gotta take care of right server selection, there are many open-source servers, choose the one which scales...

You can surely take care of file-upload functionality, you can't do peer to peer stuff now... Hopefully, AIR would have P2P support (being able to open a socket connection or be a socket-server)

-abdul
--
-abdul
---------------------------------------

Sajid Hussain

Dec 1, 2007, 2:10:51 PM12/1/07
to flex_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Abdul ,

Hos open fire and its given plugin for flash to make any IM ?
I also found tht with open fire we could use RED 5 for audio calls any comment from u all guyz ?

Thanks
Sajid
www.synergyi.com
Pakistan

Abdul Qabiz

Dec 6, 2007, 1:15:02 AM12/6/07
to flex_...@googlegroups.com
Sajid,

No idea about open-fire... I would check it out and let you know..
-abdul

Sajid Hussain

Dec 6, 2007, 3:53:44 AM12/6/07
to flex_...@googlegroups.com
Abdul ,
here is the newsest link for jabber ,http://www.news.com/Jive-Software-finds-its-voice/2100-7352_3-6167720.html
maybe u have heard that now they are calling open fire and I guess Xiff Api belong to them

-Sajid

Arul Prasad M L

Dec 7, 2007, 3:27:32 PM12/7/07
to flex_...@googlegroups.com
I've been working on a WildFire / Openfire based IM application, and so far its been acting good.

A few things pointers:

1. Wildfire / Openfire are pretty popular OS jabber servers out there
2. Flash libraries include  - XIFF from JiveSoft, and mx.collaborations.xmpp package, by Danny Dura of adobe. Not sure if there are more.

A few things to remember:

1. I've heard from my network folks that Openfire/Wildfire is not 'scalable', so not very future proof.
2. Openfire/Wildfire work over xmlsockets - which might get blocked at firewalls. An answer to this is BOSH ( or HTTP Binding) and Openfire doesnt support it natively
3. you can install BOSH support as a component over wildfire/openfire. Google for BOSH and Punjab ( thats the name of the BOSH component)

Haven't used Red5, have heard its pretty good, but not sure especially since its still in early stages of development.

~Arul Prasad.
--
Arul Prasad
http://arulprasad.blogspot.com