Disney stock

WDW Tek

Sep 18, 2001, 3:33:11 PM9/18/01
Disney extends losses, while AOL bounces (DIS, AOL) By Tomi Kilgore

Walt Disney (DIS) is shedding 56 cents, or 2.9 percent, to $18.69, and has hit
a 5-year low of $18.60 in intraday trading. The stock is currently the leading
percentage loser within the Dow Industrials ($INDU) .
<A
HREF="http://aolpf5.marketwatch.com/news/newsfinder/pulseone.asp?dist=aolp
f&siteid=aolpf&dateid=37152.4944328704-789452367">NewsFinder</A>

ParisByAir

Sep 18, 2001, 3:45:02 PM9/18/01
Actually, Disney went as low as $17.75 today. Not to be patriotic or anything,
but today was the first time I bought in for more than the token shares I've
owned since the 1980s. I may have my beef with Disney's quality levels of late
but $18.89 was enough to sweep me back in.

This isn't a stock board, thankfully, but I also bought into TMP Worldwide and
Southwest today. When everything's dropping you have to scoop up what you think
will bounce back.

Rick

TEEVTEE

Sep 18, 2001, 4:35:45 PM9/18/01
>>>This isn't a stock board, thankfully, but I also bought into TMP Worldwide
and
Southwest today. When everything's dropping you have to scoop up what you think
will bounce back.<<<

I think Disney will be down for a long time to come, even prior to these events
it was looking bleak. However it will come back, sooner or later. Disney has
a lot of valuable assets and even the parks which have been weakened by poor
management and then more by fear of travel will bounce back eventualy. At $18
or $19 it is a safe bet, I mean even if it drops more (which it may) you are in
a good position for the long haul.

BUY STOCK if you can, it doews nothing but help things and you may even get a
bargain to boot.

Teevtee:
Laser Technician

KTREALTORS

Sep 18, 2001, 5:28:32 PM9/18/01
>BUY STOCK if you can, it doews nothing but help things and you may even get a
>bargain to boot.

You wisely added "if you can".

I cannot agree with this patriotic notion of buying stock. The level of the
stock market has nothing to do with where we are in this economy. Absolutely
nothing.
EVERY little thing that is getting ready to happen is going to have an effect
on the stock market. How is putting funds in the market really going to help
America? It simply won't.

I'm not trying to undermine ANY show of patriotism. I didn't have to go buy a
flag last week, I've owned one for a LONG time. But this notion is simply
misguided.

Buy to make money. Sell to keep from losing it. You'll help this country more
in the long run if you remain financially stable.

Kerry

ParisByAir

Sep 18, 2001, 5:54:08 PM9/18/01
Kerry, agreed. Actually, I wrote about it a bit this morning:

Take Stock in America?

http://www.fool.com/news/breakfast/2001/breakfast010918.htm

I don't think one person can hold the stock market in place. This isn't a dyke
where one little Dutch kid can hold it all in place with a single finger.

However, I do have to argue that the market is important. If no one where to
invest in publicly traded companies, new companies don't go public. If there is
no new money invested in companies, money doesn't get spent. It's a vicious
cycle and everybody pays. So if Kerry.com can't go public and place that
billion dollar order for EMC storage devices, Cisco routers and Sun servers,
those companies suffer, the families laid off due to lack of demand suffer.
They spend less, and more suffer.

I hope this isn't a political statement. It's just an economic one. The market
matters, though you're right in that if you have $1000 to burn, you're better
off donating it to a relief fund rather than buying a round lot of a $10 stock
blindly.

KTREALTORS

Sep 18, 2001, 6:20:47 PM9/18/01
>However, I do have to argue that the market is important. If no one where to
>invest in publicly traded companies, new companies don't go public. If there
>is
>no new money invested in companies, money doesn't get spent.

Agreed. I should have elaborated my point.

My point however uneloquently stated is that the market is both an indicator
and reactor, but not THE driving force in the economy that most people think it
is.

Since this is really your area of expertise, how about an opinion!!

What if the market would have dropped 1500 points Monday, would it really slow
an economic recovery? I wonder if a drop that large would have lead to weeks
of buying and more consumer confidence in the market bottom??

Kerry

TEEVTEE

Sep 18, 2001, 10:56:39 PM9/18/01
>>>I'm not trying to undermine ANY show of patriotism. I didn't have to go buy
flag last week, I've owned one for a LONG time. But this notion is simply
misguided. <<<

Totally disagree Kerry and it has nothing to do with patriotism... and I am
surprised to see Rick say such blindly mistaken comments, though he tempered
them.

Let me be clear:

I 100% agree that one person or even a really huge group of individuals buying
stock will make no difference. I also agree that donating money to say the Red
Cross would do much more than blindly buying $10 stocks as Rick pointed out.
Finally I agree that the level of a stock in and of itself is not the driving
force of the economy... so on the surface I agree with you both.

HOWEVER, as Rick also pointed out the stock market is a very important factor
in the economy. If for not other reason that it freaks people out when it
drops and often makes people not spend money. If I see my stock plunging, and
I therefore feel like I have lost lots of money then I am less likely to buy
that new VCR or whatever... which in turn harms the sales of that store and so
on and so on down the line. The stock market is often looked upon by the
average Joe as a real indication of how the economy is doing, even if those
same people do not own any stock at all.

Now if you look at what I wrote i did not say "Go buy stock, it is a patriotic
thing to do" I said go buy stock because it can do nothing but help the
economy and you may get a bargain to boot. I also tempered that buy saying IF
YOU CAN. I would never want anyone to spend money they cannot afford to lose
on stock,,,that goes for now and forever... just common sense.

In the end buying stock will not hurt anything as long as you are doing it
wisely and within your means. This same thing could be said about buying
anything to keep the economy moving... Is it going to turn things around?
Ofcourse not, but I guess my real point was to continue to do what you always
would do, and a whole lot of people would jump all over a stock market that
just fell 700 points uder other circumstances.

Teevtee:
Laser Technician

KTREALTORS

Sep 19, 2001, 9:35:32 AM9/19/01
>I 100% agree that one person or even a really huge group of individuals
>buying
>stock will make no difference.

I posted a response yesterday after Ricks, and it appears it got lost in
cyberspace. Anyway, what I tried to clarify was my statemant of the stock
market having no importance in the economy "right now".

Essentially what I meant is the stock market is an indicator and a reactor, but
it is not THE driving force in the economy. In the last 100yrs, only one long
term econmic event can be tied to the reaction of the stock market.

So, like you said we at least on the surface agree.

>Now if you look at what I wrote i did not say "Go buy stock, it is a
>patriotic
>thing to do" I said go buy stock because it can do nothing but help the
>economy and you may get a bargain to boot.

I saw something different, my mistake. I think it was something like " Buy
Stock, it can only help" or something like that. With everything in the news
in regards to patriotic support of the stock market, I made the assumption that
it was a patriotic statemant. Again, my mistake.

>I guess my real point was to continue to do what you always
>would do, and a whole lot of people would jump all over a stock market that
>just fell 700 points uder other circumstances.

And with this I would agree..... with the caveat that the market is probably
going to react strongly as each of the events to come, unfold.

I simply read something into your post that wasn't there, otherwise I doubt I
would have responded with anything.....maybe just the caveat above.

Some of the stuff I've seen in reaction to all this has been very strange to
me. Some of the TV shows and movies being changed I can understand. But, a
wholesale erasing of the WTC from any form of multimedia is just wrong to me.
I had just read about a bunch more of this when I read you post.

Hell, last night I knowingly participated in an internet hoax, and didn't say a
thing.

We went out to our little redneck ice house for the weekly trivia contest. Now,
these people get FIRED UP. Shoot 'em all and let God sort 'em out type of
place. Anyway, they had this big deal about the e-mail that went around
yesterday. The one that essentially said... "everybody go outside and light a
candle at 9:30 because a satellite is going to take a photo to be distributed
to the media". At 9:20, they halted the proceedings, a poem was read, then we
all stood and sang the national anthem. They had candle for everyone and
outside we go. My wife, who also knew it was a hoax, started an improtu sing
along of America the Beautiful. Hell, it was moving and people had tears in
thier eyes.

In some little way, these people felt like they helped or were at least part of
"something" that helped and in the end, hoax and all, I guess they did.

I hope they never find out different.

Kerry

Judfud

Sep 19, 2001, 11:29:15 AM9/19/01
<<Some of the TV shows and movies being changed I can understand. But, a
wholesale erasing of the WTC from any form of multimedia is just wrong to me.
I had just read about a bunch more of this when I read you post.>>

I read about this in the paper today - movies or TV shows which included
footage of the NY skyline have to be re-shot or changed to reflect the WTC
coming down. WHY? I guess so we, the audience, can pretend it's "current day,"
and not shot weeks or months in the past. To me, it seems wrong. I don't have
any emotional connection to the NY skyline, but why not leave things as they
were?

judy
"banned from the boards"

TEEVTEE

Sep 19, 2001, 12:07:45 PM9/19/01
>>>To me, it seems wrong. I don't have
any emotional connection to the NY skyline, but why not leave things as they
were? <<<

I agree that it is odd, but many, many people DO have emotional connection to
the NY skyline... it may bring back lots of sad feelings to see those towers,
which the networks probably feel is too soon to do.

What REALLY gets me is why the hell Disney has edited out any refrence to New
York from the DCA Millionaire game. I mean what, we now pretend New York does
not exist? They say you "Win a trip" not a trip to NY. They do not run the
Regis footage either...odd.

Teevtee:
Laser Technician

snowsofkilimanjaro

Sep 19, 2001, 2:28:34 PM9/19/01
I think people WILL be sad if they see the WTC buildings in old films and
television shows. Forgive me, but I think that's a GOOD thing... to try to
erase reality, as if it never existed in its time, I think is something of a
cheat to the mourning process and to moving on. I know that films will be made
in the future, set in NYC somewhere between 1976 and 2001, and those films will
digitally INSERT the WTC buildings... So I think this is a misguided effort. I
understand it, but I think it's underestimating the ability and need of people
to grow and move on.

Now Proyding for the Jiddies in Digital Surround, transmitted with Underwater
Lasers.
Arstogas

Judfud

Sep 19, 2001, 3:41:29 PM9/19/01
<<I think people WILL be sad if they see the WTC buildings in old films and
television shows. Forgive me, but I think that's a GOOD thing... to try to
erase reality, as if it never existed in its time, I think is something of a
cheat to the mourning process and to moving on. >>

Yes, exactly - it might freeze a movie in time for us - we could say it was
made before or after the WTC incident by the skyline. If a scene was shot when
the towers were there, that's reality, that's what should be shown. Changing
it, is to say they didn't exist, or they weren't important. If people get
stirred up by the scene, OK, it's better than pretending the skyline always
looked the way it does today.

Lisa

Sep 19, 2001, 5:41:41 PM9/19/01
> If a scene was shot when
>the towers were there, that's reality, that's what should be shown. Changing
>it, is to say they didn't exist, or they weren't important. If people get
>stirred up by the scene, OK, it's better than pretending the skyline always
>looked the way it does today.

Judy and I are on the same wavelength. I don't think footage of the buildings
should be eliminated at all. They are part of history. We didn't stop showing
clips of the Titantic after it sunk.........

snowsofkilimanjaro

Sep 19, 2001, 7:49:36 PM9/19/01
>>>Changing it, is to say they didn't exist, or they weren't important. If
people get
stirred up by the scene, OK, it's better than pretending the skyline always
looked the way it does today. <<<

Beyond this, it's counter to the whole reason people build MEMORIALS after
tragic events: to REMEMBER... we leave something there to remember that lives
were affected in some profound way. We don't create memorials to forget.

It is a strange time though, and some people just feel like they need to do
SOMETHING, so sometimes they do the very thing they probably wouldn't if they
were thinking more rationally.

TEEVTEE

Sep 19, 2001, 9:12:42 PM9/19/01
>>>They are part of history. We didn't stop showing
clips of the Titantic after it sunk.........

<<<

I think a lot of this is just the timing.

Years or even months from now I think you will see the towers again. And I do
not think people are editing existing movies or anything like that. But right
now it is just too soon for some. There are thousands of bodies tangled and
twisted in rubble right now, and a lot of people would rather not have further
reminders of that. I agree that it SEEMS silly, but then again it is not my
son or mother entrenched in that debris.

Teevtee:
Laser Technician

TravMatte

Sep 19, 2001, 11:30:46 PM9/19/01
>I also bought into...Southwest today.

With all that has happened, you bought an AIRLINE? That's either
incredibly brave or insane.

TravMatte

Sep 19, 2001, 11:34:07 PM9/19/01
>I cannot agree with this patriotic notion of buying stock...You'll help this

country more in the long run if you remain financially stable.

This is just wrong! Investing in stock is literally investing in America.
How can company's grow and improve without the support of stockholders? Before
you have a product to sell, you need capitol.

TravMatte

Sep 19, 2001, 11:40:06 PM9/19/01
>I read about this in the paper today - movies or TV shows which included
footage of the NY skyline have to be re-shot or changed to reflect the WTC
coming down. WHY

I read on LaughingPlace that the Timekeeper C-Vision film might be
scrapped because the nighttime aerial shot of NYC includes the Towers. I hope
Diz doesn't use this as an excuse to permanently remove it. If they wanted,
they could manually paint the lights from the Towers over from the film itself,
which would blot them out.

KTREALTORS

Sep 20, 2001, 6:45:04 AM9/20/01

Trav, there will be capitol.

Look, I think its much wiser for some people to take a hard look at thier
personal situation. They need to have a very good handle on how thier sector
of the economy will be affected. There will be people losing jobs over this.
There will be people whose income stream ceases. Thats just a cold hard fact.
While some of these people would have been normally buying stock on a weekly or
monthly basis, Bonds or T-bills might be a safer investment right now.

I haven't pulled anything YET. Nine days ago my kids college education was
paid for. Today, its a little closer than I would like it to be. My potential
income stream is NOT a given. I am FAR from being the only one in this country
in this same position.

Can ANYBODY here give me some solid reasons based on sound financial advice on
why any money I have now waiting for investment should be put in the stock
market? Just for reference, I don't consider "its the American way" sound
investment advice.

Historically speaking, the stock market has seen HUGE gains within 120 days
after major historic events. The only exception to this timing wise is the
attack on Pearl Harbor. I am more than aware of the historical reactions of
the stock market. I'll need a little more than that if you have it.

Kerry
Kerry

Lisa

Sep 20, 2001, 8:15:17 AM9/20/01
>Can ANYBODY here give me some solid reasons based on sound financial advice
>on
>why any money I have now waiting for investment should be put in the stock
>market?

Nope. Glad I sold my Disney stock when I did and now I'm waiting for my next
401k statement to see what kind of beating that took.

I have money that can be invested, but haven't made any decisions as to where.
I prefer to choose my own stocks and while I think defense companies are a good
bet, I'll bet their prices are already going up.

Software and high tech are out... airlines are iffy, although I'd buy stock in
American because I don't think they'll go belly up like some others will (ie:
Continental). Southwest may be a safe bet too.

Pixar, if it goes down, would be a good scoop. Otherwise, I'm thinking
utilities.

KTREALTORS

Sep 20, 2001, 8:21:04 AM9/20/01
> Southwest may be a safe bet too.

I did buy some Southwest. Not with new funds though.

Kerry

Lisa

Sep 20, 2001, 9:55:26 AM9/20/01
>I did buy some Southwest. Not with new funds though.

I just got off the phone with Vanguard regarding my 401k. So far, not bad but I
shuffled everything to stable fund for now anyway. I don't want to lose any
more than I have to.

TEEVTEE

Sep 20, 2001, 6:42:20 PM9/20/01
>>>Can ANYBODY here give me some solid reasons based on sound financial advice
on
why any money I have now waiting for investment should be put in the stock
market? Just for reference, I don't consider "its the American way" sound
investment advice.<<<

Kerry, you don't need my advice or anybody elses. You CLEARLY are not
comfortable in the stock market in this environment and your particular needs.
It would be FOOLISH for you to do something that would have you worried.

Yet, just as a few years back the market was artificialy high, it could easily
be argued that it is now artificialy low. You seem to have specific timed
events (like Kid's college) that may make investing in the market a stupid
thing for you. But for a buy and hold long term investor it is hard to argue
that companies liek Viacom or Disney or any of a thousand others are not
currently BARGAINS. If you can remove the attack from this whole picture and
just look at the numbers... now would be a great time to scoop up stocks that
are much lower than they should be and IN THE LONG RUN will be fine.

For the record I have done NOTHING with my stock. I have not bought, sold or
moved any of it. I have money in a S.E.P. which has taken a huge beating, even
before this. I have soem medical stocks that have done well even during this,
I have som finicial instituitons which are so so and then good old Disney
tanking away... but you know what...20 years from now I'm willing to bet Disney
will still be in business and still a market leader.

I never suggested buying stock was patriotic or the American way... in fact YOU
are the only person on this board to ever suggest such a thing. Yet it is
simple fact that many people look to the market as an indicator to how well the
economy is doing... a healthy market DOES help things. Hell, look at
yourself... if your college fund was still in tact I bet you would feel a
little bit better about things.

Teevtee:
Laser Technician

KTREALTORS

Sep 20, 2001, 8:48:42 PM9/20/01
>I never suggested buying stock was patriotic or the American way... in fact
>YOU
>are the only person on this board to ever suggest such a thing.

This is the post I responded to.

I said

>I cannot agree with this patriotic notion of buying stock...You'll help this
country more in the long run if you remain financially stable.

Then Trav said.

This is just wrong! Investing in stock is literally investing in America.
How can company's grow and improve without the support of stockholders? Before
you have a product to sell, you need capitol. >>

Anyway, since we are still discussing opinions on buying stock, I stand by
mine.
We haven't seen the bottom yet. I'm not trying to get in a pissing match but
to clarify my position I have to question yours. You touted Disney in the 18 or
19 dollar range as being a safe bet. I agree that at that price its SAFE. I
also think 17 is better and I think it will go lower. Have you bought any yet?

>For the record I have done NOTHING with my stock. I have not bought, sold or
>moved any of it.

I'm glad to hear thats working for you. I had one position that won't recover
until this thing is over. I moved that money to something that will recover
before this thing is over. Thats what works for me. But let me ask you
this......if you haven't bought anything yet why in the hell are we discussing
my position of patience like its bad advice? You said "BUY STOCK it can only
help".

>Yet it is
>simple fact that many people look to the market as an indicator to how well
>the
>economy is doing.

Its also a reactor. There has never been an event like this in the past where
the market did not tank in the weeks following the event. All of the money
from everybody on this board would not have changed that.

>Hell, look at
>yourself... if your college fund was still in tact I bet you would feel a
>little bit better about things.

It wouldn't have changed a thing about what I thought the stock market reaction
was going to be to this.

Kerry

GroovyYaYa

Sep 20, 2001, 10:27:12 PM9/20/01
In article <20010920184220...@mb-fr.aol.com>, tee...@aol.comwho
(TEEVTEE) writes:

>but you know what...20 years from now I'm willing to bet Disney
>will still be in business and still a market leader.

I'm betting that if we go into full blown war that lasts longer than the
Persian Gulf, people are going to be jumping at the chance to see some light
hearted family films WITHOUT explosions, etc. (Hey, look at the popularity
of Shirley Temple during one of our more trying times) If Disney does some
good flicks during that time, etc. they could really use this demand to their
advantage. Heck, in just trying to get away from some of the news myself -
I've been watching the Disney Channel and shows I've never even heard of
before. (That and Nick at Nite... but somehow Three's Company is even more
icky)

Erica

"To hate would be to reduce myself. " - Elie Wiesel

TEEVTEE

Sep 20, 2001, 11:41:15 PM9/20/01
>>>I'm glad to hear thats working for you. I had one position that won't
recover
until this thing is over. I moved that money to something that will recover
before this thing is over. Thats what works for me. But let me ask you
this......if you haven't bought anything yet why in the hell are we discussing
my position of patience like its bad advice? You said "BUY STOCK it can only
help".
<<<

Kerry my man...I think this is somehow getting out of hand.

At no time have I ever suggested that patience was bad advice. You know I did
nto say that. In fact I said that you can ONLY go with YOUR OWN feelings and
advice... that you should NOT listen to what others say as they are not in YOUR
position.

I also never said "Buy stock" like you suggest I said. I said "Buy stock... IF
YOU CAN". There is a HUGE difference. And even THAT statement was in no way
tied into an idea of being patriotic or the "American Way" as you suggested I
said as well.

Yes, Trav said something to that effect, but with all duie respect... this is
Trav we are talking about. I think we have learned to take what he says with a
grain of salt sometimes.

You ask why I have not bought stock... the answer is because I, like you, have
a very unstable income. I do not work for a company and make "X" ammount a
year. I work for myself and events like this very much affect my livelihood.
Therefore I do not feel comfortable investing long term right now. But that
has nothing to do with the fact that investing in the stock market right now
would be a great idea for a very large group of people.

point was and is that acting in a some what normal way is the best thing for
all of us to do. That means not canceling trips and so on, just getting back
to work and moving things along. This is hardly a unique opinion, the
president and mayor of NYC are just two others who share my point of view. The
whole stock thing was mentioned as a simple example...pancing and not buying
stock if you normally would will help nothing, including yourself. In a very
low market like this there are many great buys. Now I must say, I am not a big
player in the market regardless... I have a tendancy to buy stcok or mutual
funds once a year at most, dump a fairly large sum of money (for me, as I can
afford it) into those funds and then hold them forever. This may not be
prudent but it is what I am comfortable with. I choose not to worry about
daily fluctuations so this buy and hold approach is how I operate. I mention
this simply because it is likely that even without the tragic events it is
likely that I would not be buying now... But again, that is just ME... I
still think the overall idea of living a normal life, taking advantage of the
market if you can (and are inclined to) is the best thing we could all be doing
right now.

You obviously need to do what YOU feel comfortable with... I never suggested
that was wrong in any way.

Finally, I do not recall saying Disney was "safe" at $18 but I am sure I did.
And you know what, if Disney falls to $1 a STILL think it was a good buy at $18
because with my long term approach, 20 years from now I am confident it will be
much higher than $18. I cannot worry about short term rises and falls... $18
for Disney is a good deal, $17 is even better... if it gets to $1 though I will
buy as much as I possibly can!

Teevtee:
Laser Technician

KTREALTORS

Sep 21, 2001, 12:16:24 AM9/21/01
>Kerry my man...I think this is somehow getting out of hand.

Hell, I thought the next step was meeting at the Missouri/Arkansas border and
drawing swords!

>My
>point was and is that acting in a some what normal way is the best thing for
>all of us to do. That means not canceling trips and so on, just getting back
>to work and moving things along. This is hardly a unique opinion, the
>president and mayor of NYC are just two others who share my point of view.

Teev, these guys are speaking to the WORLD. We, on the other hand, are kind of
sitting here talking amongst ourselves in a relatively obscure NG consisting of
about 20-30 people. I aint running for public office. I'm speaking rationally
(or not, depending upon where you sit!) among friends.

Look, these guys can say that all they want and its great that they are but the
reality is, only time will tell. Hell, you and I and many others in this group
will survive this thing economically unscathed only if those things DO happen.
But we cannot MAKE those things happen. All of us together in this NG are not
going to change the economy. I can't make people buy houses. Its really,
really early in all this, but at best there will be a 30-60 day glitch in the
housing market and thus a 10-20% reduction in my income. Thats a pretty
friggin decent vacation. Should I take that vacation if my industry doesn't
rebound in 30 days......60 days......90 days? There are millions out there
that are in this same position.

There are vocations out there that will thrive in this and some that will
remain stable at best. But there are tons of us that are going to have to wait
and see if the rank and file actually do what Bush and Guiliani are asking them
to do to know what OUR future brings. The only way I can change any of that is
to change fields. I'm more than prepared to do that.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm doing my part as best I can. Hell, just today I
made a big contribution to the distillers industry!

Kerry

snowsofkilimanjaro

Sep 21, 2001, 12:52:41 AM9/21/01
I'm not an expert on the stock market, but one of our investors has been
investing and making himself wealthy for a couple of decades. His opinion on
Tuesday was that even with the huge 600 point drop, the market was still WAY
overvalued, and that further "correction" was necessary or at least a probable
event... eventually it would have happened even without an event like the one
we just went through.

Shane

Sep 21, 2001, 8:21:02 AM9/21/01
<<You touted Disney in the 18 or 19 dollar range as being a safe bet. I agree
that at that price its SAFE. I also think 17 is better and I think it will go
lower. Have you bought any yet?>>

I did. But then, I have the luxury of being young with no kids, so I can afford
to ride out a bad year or two. And to be honest, I probably bought too soon, as
I picked it up when it was around 19.50.

Shane

Author of such aborted concepts as "Mister Lincoln Monster Sound" and "The
Twilight Zone Tower of Tortilla"

Shane

Sep 21, 2001, 8:24:06 AM9/21/01
<<If Disney does some good flicks during that time, etc. they could really use
this demand to their advantage.>>

Man, if the fate of the free world hinges on Disney making some GOOD family
films, we're all done for.

Personally, I'd like to see some films where a bad guy grown-up gets kicked in
the crotch. But unfortunately, I don't know any studios making those types of
films...

PatMc23

Sep 21, 2001, 10:28:03 AM9/21/01
>I'm not an expert on the stock market,

Me either.... but aren't there some stocks that will do very well if we go to
war?

I only have the Disney because it comes out of my check, and is managed free
thru the company....

Lisa

Sep 21, 2001, 10:46:18 AM9/21/01
>Me either.... but aren't there some stocks that will do very well if we go to
>war?

Companies that have defense-related products like Raytheon, Northrup Grumman
and there is one other one I can't think of off the top of my head right now.

>I only have the Disney because it comes out of my check, and is managed free
>thru the company....

I sold my DIS stock at $24 and will consider buying it again when it hits $15.
At the moment, however, I don't have any plans to invest in the stock market.
Moved my entire 401k into a stable value fund as well to try and keep as much
of it as possible. At the moment, I'm keeping my funds close to home. I'm not
cancelling any plans that I have (vacation, trip to NYC in December, stuff like
that), but I'm not spending like normal either.

TEEVTEE

Sep 21, 2001, 10:47:40 AM9/21/01
>>>There are vocations out there that will thrive in this and some that will
remain stable at best. But there are tons of us that are going to have to wait
and see if the rank and file actually do what Bush and Guiliani are asking them
to do to know what OUR future brings. The only way I can change any of that is
to change fields. I'm more than prepared to do that.
<<<

I wish I owned a flag factory right about now.

Kerry... Of course we cannot make a difference to the economy on our own. Even
if everyone who has ever read one line of this newsgroup put all of the money
they have in the world into stock it would not register even a small blip.
I've never suggested it did. But in the BIG PICTURE going about your normal
life is the best thing to do.

OF COURSE you in your particular situation has to do what is best for YOU. If
you lost income due to say an illness you may have to cancel your vacation as
well... I am making many adjustments. But the big picture still remains. You
seem to be focusing on what is right for you, or me, or that guy over there
when I am focusing on the masses, the millions and millions of the population,
and I am speaking in very general terms.

The stock market is offering bargains right now and unless society has a total
collapse those stocks will rebound in the long term and make people lots of
money. No one should be investing in the market EVER if they need that money
for some short term goal or a very specific need (like buying a house for
example). The market is always risky and now we see one reason why. But
proper investing, that is long term cash that you can afford to invest, can
ride out short term fluctuations.

Teevtee:
Laser Technician

KTREALTORS

Sep 21, 2001, 12:11:10 PM9/21/01
But in the BIG PICTURE going about your normal
>life is the best thing to do.

Well, at this point I am. I've got a lot of time on my hands right now, and
believe me when I tell you I've spent more money this week, at the golf
courses, at the mall, at restaurants, at the movies, etc than I would have in a
normal week. I'll be fishing next week and playing golf and drinking whiskey.
Those things won't change YET. In fact my leisure income spending will INCREASE
over the next few months. Not neccesarily by choice, but I'm not one to just
sit around on my ass. I get bored easily.

My next BIG vacation is not until the first of the yr. We will see what that
brings. I won't be taking it just because the gov't wants me to. It will be a
decision based on strictly selfish personal finance issues. Thats going to be
one of the realities of war thats going to wiegh heavily on all of us.

You and I need to agree to disagree on this and I'm fine with that. Hell, it
won't be the first time nor the last time this is going to happen.

I still think EVERY individual needs to look at thier income stream and try to
evaluate its potential in this. To do otherwise is reckless. To do as the
govt tells you, keep on keeping on and don't worry about the money you are
spending today is well....to be nice......not smart. Thats just my opinion
and it won't change. Its the old hippie in me I guess. Again, thats not
directed at YOU because as you have said you are evaluating your situation
also.

>You
>seem to be focusing on what is right for you, or me, or that guy over there
>when I am focusing on the masses, the millions and millions of the
>population,

Ok! Hell, I'll vote for ya! What public office are you running for?

Seriously, no hard feelings, and I DO know where your coming from and hope like
hell the masses listen! Like I said, for now, my spending has and will
increase. That decision was made based on what "I" think my reserves and
future income will handle, and personally hope thats how the decisions are
being made in every household across the country.

Maybe its just my generation but trusting in the gov't and what they say just
doesn't come easy.

Kerry

TEEVTEE

Sep 21, 2001, 12:27:26 PM9/21/01
>>>You and I need to agree to disagree on this and I'm fine with that. Hell, it
won't be the first time nor the last time this is going to happen.
<<<

That's fine Kerry, though I have yet to see where exactly we disgree.

I have NOT said blindly buy stocks because it is the American Way.

I have NOT said blindly do what the government tells you.

I have NOT said that this situation and upcoming military action will not have
a huge impact on the economy.

I HAVE said that each and every INDIVIDUAL person must make his own decision
based on his or her personal situation.

You see Kerry, as far as I can tell we agree. The only thing I have ever said
that seems to rub you the wrong way was, and I quote "Buy stock if you can".

Now this has nothing to do with the government or the American way. It has to
do with being able to get some great blue chip stocks for low prices. I'm not
talking about quick scores on the market, I'm talking buy and hold long term
investments.

I think that most anyone who would buy stock would hopefully understand the
risks involved and only buy if they were in a finicial position to do so.

For the record Kerry, I am being devistated by this event on a personal,
finacial level. The first thing to get whacked in an economic down turn is
advertising... which is pretty much 100% what I work in. PRIOR to this even
this summer has been very slow for me. I am talking about HUGE drops from
previous years. Much of this is due to the economy, some of it is due to other
non related events (like getting a new agent who does not seem to be working
out for me). These events have caused soem jobs to go away already and things
will just get worse. Trust me, I am VERY, VERY concerned. But as bad as my
personal situation may be right now, that does not change the fact that there
are lots of bargains in the market right now and if someone had the money now
would be a great time to buy.

Or is THAT what you disagree with?

Teevtee:
Laser Technician

TEEVTEE

Sep 21, 2001, 12:33:11 PM9/21/01
>war?
><<<

As Lisa said, there are scores of defense related stocks that will do well.
There are also other areas like medical stocks that are likely to do well. In
fact MANY stocks could flourish depending on the needs and desires of Americans
in the upcoming months and years.

However certain sectors are likely to falter... travel and tourism companies
being key among them. Some companies like Disney will likely be on very hard
times for quite some time, but ulitmately are diversified enough to be OK in
the long run.

Teevtee:
Laser Technician

KTREALTORS

Sep 21, 2001, 2:18:46 PM9/21/01
>For the record Kerry, I am being devistated by this event on a personal,
>finacial level.

Brother, I feel your pain.

>The only thing I have ever said
>that seems to rub you the wrong way was, and I quote "Buy stock if you can".

Your right, and I did mis-quote that the other day. You did say "Buy stock if
you can" followed by "it can only help and you might find some bargains to
boot". I focused on the "it can only help" part. You have since more than
clarified your position and I thought I had clarified my response. It wasn't
until my response to Trav's "investing in America" response that flared this
lovely discussion back up. SURE, I could have left it alone, but like I said,
I gots lots a time on my hands right now! Its that whole idle hands thing!
Neither one of us are known around here as "no comment" type of people anyway.

<>But as bad as my
>personal situation may be right now, that does not change the fact that there
>are lots of bargains in the market right now and if someone had the money now
>would be a great time to buy.
>
>Or is THAT what you disagree with?

No not really, I personally still don't think we've seen the bottom of the
market, but thats a personal opinion and has nothing to do with the individual
prices of stocks and thier value which you have wisely pointed out and we
agreed upon many a post back. <whew!>

Hell, I put new money in this morning. Not much, but some.

But to answer your question, this is what I don't really agree with.

point was and is that acting in a some what normal way is the best thing for
all of us to do. That means not canceling trips and so on, just getting back
to work and moving things along. This is hardly a unique opinion, the
president and mayor of NYC are just two others who share my point of view. >>

Thats what I was addressing in the last post. I don't know any other way than
the way I TRIED to explain my problem with this philosophy. I'm far from being
an eloquant writer and getting my point across in writing is not my strongest
asset. So hey, if my point was missed, its the best I can do! Lets just leave
it at that!

Like you said, were not that far off in our opinions, and our not agreeing on
a few minor details aint that big a deal!

Kerry

snowsofkilimanjaro

Sep 21, 2001, 2:37:08 PM9/21/01
You know what occurred to me... the folks who are dumping Disney to the tune of
135 million shares... they don't CARE about the legacy of the company. Let
them go. They're the ones who push for the profits at any cost.

Let 'em go, and heck, let them shut down DCA and DAK and spend some money
getting them into amazing parks...rehab the rest of the parks so that they
shine like a newly-minted silver dime... then reopen defiantly with some
fanfare, and watch the crowds come back.

KTREALTORS

Sep 21, 2001, 3:04:20 PM9/21/01

>Let 'em go, and heck, let them shut down DCA and DAK and spend some money
>getting them into amazing parks...rehab the rest of the parks so that they
>shine like a newly-minted silver dime... then reopen defiantly with some
>fanfare, and watch the crowds come back.

Nice thoughts. We could see some divesting of assets or any number of
different things. Time will surely tell because thats one hell of a major
holding in the co that just changed hands. There is sure to be SOME
philisophical differences.

Kerry

DuaneDude1

Sep 21, 2001, 3:40:28 PM9/21/01
O.K. so let's see if I got this right... the Bass Bros. are out... Dis bought
some of the stock they sold (but not all)... so who is the biggest stockholder
now... the one we need to convince to improve the Mouse when all is well with
the economy?
Remove NOSPAMss for e-mail From personal account

Those who would terrorize others by suicide missions are not in heaven
rejoicing, they are now learning first-hand the excruciating terror of eternity
in hell.
Let their brethren take heed!

TEEVTEE

Sep 21, 2001, 3:53:12 PM9/21/01
>>>Like you said, were not that far off in our opinions, and our not agreeing
on
a few minor details aint that big a deal!
<<<

OK Kerry, I understand your point... hell, I'm still not sure we are not saying
the same damn thing.

You see, living my life as I normally would includes not buying stock right now
and also not selling stock right now. I just do not see how panic selling
helps anything, unless that money which you are selling to get out is
desperatly needed NOW, and if that is the case the market was probably not the
place for it to be to begin with.

But anyway, YES, lets move on!

Here is a new idea...go buy a flag, wave it around and all of our problems will
magically go away.

Teevtee:
Laser Technician

Lisa

Sep 21, 2001, 5:21:54 PM9/21/01
You know what else will be good? Telco's. I was just reading an article in
yesterday's NYT about all the cell phones that were used. They also mentioned
that my beloved Blackberry came thru when the cell phone lines were jammed.
Research in Motion makes the Blackberry. Not sure if they are public or not,
but could be a good one.

Petey Gold

Sep 21, 2001, 6:08:01 PM9/21/01
>I wish I owned a flag factory right about now.

My advice is, buy an ice house.

ParisByAir

Sep 21, 2001, 10:09:11 PM9/21/01
<< Me either.... but aren't there some stocks that will do very well if we go
war? >>

Yep, a few. Not to link to my own content, but I guess it's actually fitting in
this thread. Here's a piece I did yesterday on some of the stocks that have
been rising due to the ramp-up.

http://www.fool.com/news/foolplate/2001/foolplate010920.htm

Then again, they all popped up at the open on Monday -- so it's not as if there
was money to be made there.

Rick

ParisByAir

Sep 21, 2001, 10:14:21 PM9/21/01
<< With all that has happened, you bought an AIRLINE? That's either
incredibly brave or insane. >>

Trav, Southwest isn't just any airline. While the airline industry was set to
lose $3.5 billion this year (before the horror), Southwest was profitable -- as
it's always been. Well, it's been losing money this past week, but unlike the
other airlines, Southwest is still running its full flight schedule.

Southwest is the cost leader, here. It's got a nearly identical fleet (all
737s, different models with subtle differences) so it's cheap and easy to
maintain and stock parts. It's frill-free ways and the fact that 737 pilots are
cheaper than the bigger jets, all adds up to the reason why airports love
Southwest (because it draws folks in) while the airlines hate Southwest
(because they have to price-match and lose their shirts).

If you want a more thorough pro-con deal:

http://www.fool.com/duelingfools/2001/duelingfools01061300.htm

snowsofkilimanjaro

Sep 21, 2001, 11:43:07 PM9/21/01
Any company that makes teleconferencing possible... there's going to be more of
those kinds of business meetings... that includes folks that make plasma
displays and all that...

Lisa

Sep 22, 2001, 7:14:59 AM9/22/01
>Any company that makes teleconferencing possible... there's going to be more
>of
>those kinds of business meetings...

Polycom. I think they're already seeing an increase in sales.

TravMatte

Sep 24, 2001, 5:23:12 AM9/24/01
>t's got a nearly identical fleet (all 737s, different models with subtle
differences) so it's cheap and easy to maintain and stock parts.

I just hope they spent plenty on their cockpit doors.

TravMatte

Sep 24, 2001, 5:28:26 AM9/24/01
>Heck, in just trying to get away from some of the news myself - I've been
watching the Disney Channel and shows I've never even heard of before.

I have now realized why I like watching cartoons: they allow you to
forget the uglilness of the real world.

TravMatte

Sep 24, 2001, 5:30:20 AM9/24/01
>Yes, Trav said something to that effect, but with all duie respect... this is
Trav we are talking about. I think we have learned to take what he says with a
grain of salt sometimes.

I still think that investing is the best way to help the economy, and
make money for yourself at the same time. If we all become fearful, the economy
suffers.

TravMatte

Sep 24, 2001, 5:35:14 AM9/24/01
>ren't there some stocks that will do very well if we go to war?

Any company that builds electronic components, large appliances or cars
would benefit, for they can all fill governmanet contract for war items.
With this current situation, I'd put my money on companies that build
trains and security systems. In the former category, Bombardier sounds very
nice. (They also built the Mark VI WDW monorails. You know, the ones that
aren't flush with the platforms!)

TravMatte

Sep 24, 2001, 5:39:12 AM9/24/01
>It wasn't until my response to Trav's "investing in America" response that
flared this lovely discussion back up.

Looks like I did it again! I ought to write a book on how to start
arguments.

TravMatte

Sep 24, 2001, 5:42:07 AM9/24/01
>You know what occurred to me... the folks who are dumping Disney to the tune
of 135 million shares... they don't CARE about the legacy of the company.

Sid Bass, who was the "dumper," had a margin call. That is, he needed to
pay off a loan for a past stock purchase. He had no choice but to sell the Diz
stock.
The Bass brothers should be praised for helping to rescue the Company
during the "shark attack" of the mid-80s, and the arrival of Eisner and Wells.

TravMatte

Sep 24, 2001, 5:43:49 AM9/24/01
>My advice is, buy an ice house.

Let me be the first to ask WHY? (Or, did you mean to say "nice" house?)

DuaneDude1

Sep 24, 2001, 8:34:43 AM9/24/01
I like Southwest... and was pleased that with the closing of Reagan National
Teddy Kennedy was forced to take a BWI Southwest flight... I can see him having
to mingle with the rest of the passangers (no first class) and pay 3 bucks a
pop for his booze!

Petey Gold

Sep 24, 2001, 9:20:11 AM9/24/01
>>My advice is, buy an ice house.

> Let me be the first to ask WHY? (Or, did you mean to say "nice"
>house?)

I think an ice house is a Texan bar.

KTREALTORS

Sep 24, 2001, 10:00:54 AM9/24/01

They are not really exclusive to TX. What we call an Ice House is basically a
beer joint that is open on at least 2 sides and more often 3 sides. Basically
they have large overhead doors on the sides that at least here remain open
about 9 months out of the yr. They serve beer only and burger type stuff.
You can bring your own bottle and buy setups as well. Some do serve wine now.
Beer is ALWAYS cooled in cubed or crushed ice, as opposed to refridgerated in
coolers. They do have a package type alcohol license which allows purchasing
beer like a convience store. You can't leave with an open beverage, but you
can come in and buy a six-pack and leave, hopefully to go home. I have to wimp
out and BYOB. Not much of a beer drinker.

I think the term Ice House originates from the types of buildings used to sell
ice before refridgeration. These buildings were open on the sides and blocks
of ice were stacked in the front just like you would see a grocery store stack
merchandise for sale. They remained open over the yrs by changing over to beer
joints. I guess the format works for some because new places are built all the
time based on the concept.

Anyway, I'm sure any reasearch on the net would show all of this is my
imagination, so consider the source before quoting me.

Kerry

Meeko1520

Sep 24, 2001, 12:29:39 PM9/24/01
>Man, if the fate of the free world hinges on Disney making some GOOD family
>films, we're all done for.

Remember when we were all discussing the Peter Pan sequel? Well, I've been
thinking lately thatit could actually resonate fairly strongly with children
when it comes out. Its theme is apparently to remind children that even in
times of international and personal crisis (World War II), it is ok to still be
a kid an relish in imagination and Neverland. That there is a way to do both.
It seems much mroe relevant now, if they don't screw up (big if).

Peter

snowsofkilimanjaro

Sep 24, 2001, 2:00:03 PM9/24/01
>>>Its theme is apparently to remind children that even in
times of international and personal crisis (World War II), it is ok to still be
a kid an relish in imagination and Neverland. <<<

I was thinking the same thing... this could turn out to either be a touchy
subject for release, or a very therapeutic film for kids (and adults).
However, a friend of mine who saw the trailer asked how Captain Hook's ship
escaped all the Nazi gunfire...

Meeko1520

Sep 24, 2001, 2:18:59 PM9/24/01
>I was thinking the same thing... this could turn out to either be a touchy
>subject for release, or a very therapeutic film for kids (and adults).

The same will be true of the Harry Potter books and movies. Anyone who has
read through book 4 knows that the book deals directly with how children react
to and cope with the very real presence of evil.

Peter

GroovyYaYa

Sep 24, 2001, 4:31:02 PM9/24/01
In article <20010924141859...@mb-cg.aol.com>, meek...@aol.com
(Meeko1520) writes:

You would have to be very careful with Harry... although I think you are right
in terms of how Harry deals with the evil (the most powerful magic he has comes
from loyalty, love, etc.) However, his parents are killed by that evil, and
for some kids, like my cousin's child whose daddy is in the Middle East, the
loss of a parent is VERY real right now. My cousin tried to shield her as
much as possible, but it was impossible to do it completely, esp. since Daddy
didn't get to come home for a three week furlough as planned. (That is how
they relate to it anyway)

Erica

"To hate would be to reduce myself. " - Elie Wiesel

Petey Gold

Sep 24, 2001, 5:55:35 PM9/24/01
> the term Ice House originates from the types of buildings used to sell
>ice before refridgeration. These buildings were open on the sides and blocks
>of ice were stacked in the front

Wow, you really ARE old.

snowsofkilimanjaro

Sep 24, 2001, 6:03:42 PM9/24/01
The Disney films are excellent for helping introduce kids to the concept of
significant loss and hardship, at least the ones made that have some tooth...
I was impressed that LION KING actually did this... But films like BAMBI and
PINOCCHIO (very dark film) are good for a kid, as long as a parent is there to
help explain things. Of course, not every film has to be themed with loss, I'm
not saying that, but soft-pedalling the situation is even worse than
potentially giving a kid a couple of nightmares. These are healthy rites of
passage.

GroovyYaYa

Sep 24, 2001, 6:41:27 PM9/24/01
>I like Southwest... and was pleased that with the closing of Reagan National
>Teddy Kennedy was forced to take a BWI Southwest flight... I can see him
>having
>to mingle with the rest of the passangers (no first class) and pay 3 bucks a
>pop for his booze!

Anyone see Laura Bush on Oprah? Turns out she was going to meet Ted Kennedy,
something to do with the ed. conference she attended earlier this summer. She
heard about the first tower as she was getting in the car, and the second tower
right as she was getting to his office building. He met her car as it drove up
and she, Kennedy, and another senator waited in Kennedy's office before they
moved her to a safe place. She said that she didn't know if he was trying to
distract her or himself, and alluded to the tragedies in his own life.

I don't know... something in me thought that was kind of eerie, and a little
sad. At that point, no one knew if the president would be okay - and
unfortunately, Kennedy has had experience in dealing with the widows of
President/Presidential candidates.

Meeko1520

Sep 24, 2001, 6:54:25 PM9/24/01
>Of course, not every film has to be themed with loss, I'm
>not saying that, but soft-pedalling the situation is even worse than
>potentially giving a kid a couple of nightmares. These are healthy rites of
>passage.

I agree. Psychiatrists keep saying on the news that we must reassure children
that they are safe, even when we know that they may not be. While I don't
think we should scare them unnecessarily, giving them false security could
backfire if another major attack occurs. How will they believe us the second
(or third) time around?

Just last year, I directed "Into the Woods" at my former college, and the
question of how to do this balancing act was very prominent. Sondheim wrote
(in a cut lyric): "How do you say to your child in the night/ That if nothing's
all black, then nothing's all white?/ How do you say it will all be alright/
When you know that it mightn't be true?" this song, and others, keep ringing
through my head. To make matters worse, I set the design of the whole show in
a post-apocalyptic urban setting instead of the fairy tale land. Now, it all
seems both too real and unreal at the same time.

Peter

snowsofkilimanjaro

Sep 25, 2001, 1:45:34 AM9/25/01
>>>Psychiatrists keep saying on the news that we must reassure children
that they are safe, even when we know that they may not be. While I don't
think we should scare them unnecessarily, giving them false security could
backfire if another major attack occurs.<<<

Ripley attempts to tuck Newt in for some rest:

NEWT: "My parents said there aren't any monsters, but there are, aren't there?"
RIPLEY: "Yes."
NEWT: "Why do they tell little kids that?"
RIPLEY: "Most of the time, it's true."

ALIENS, written by James Cameron, story by David Giler and Walter Hill

TravMatte

Sep 25, 2001, 2:06:13 AM9/25/01
>What we call an Ice House is basically a
beer joint that is open on at least 2 sides and more often 3 sides

Sounds like a modern take of the old Wild West saloon.

TravMatte

Sep 25, 2001, 2:46:02 AM9/25/01
>I've been thinking lately thatit could actually resonate fairly strongly with
children when it comes out.

The clips I saw recently at a DS were very impressive! Looks like they
really spent some money on this one.

DuaneDude1

Sep 25, 2001, 8:23:38 AM9/25/01
Peter... I agree... I hate it when adutls lie to kids..."Everything will be
allright" is such a crock of bullfeathers- how do you know (without a shadow of
a doubt) that there will be no more troubles. It seems weak, but about all you
can do is hug 'em and reassure them that such things are rare, and that
everything is being done to prevent future attacks. That, and prepare them
(like the old "Duck & Cover" drills... or the more familiar fire drills) on
what to do if there is a problem. Also, the spiritual aspect is important.
Death may not be as scary if you know where you are going.