Bye-bye WaiWai

Jim Breen

Jun 24, 2008, 11:59:53 PM6/24/08
http://mdn.mainichi.jp/culture/waiwai/

Quotes:

"Mainichi Daily News, the Mainichi Newspapers' English language website,
contained a corner called WaiWai that attracted criticism for such
things as being too vulgar and debauching Japan by sending around the
world information that could be misunderstood. In the wake of this
criticism, we decided to end this corner."

(Only good-news items about kimono dressing and cherry blossom from
now on.)

"While explaining the process in both Japanese and English and
apologizing, the Mainichi is poised to severely punish the head of the
Digital Media Division, which is responsible for overseeing the site,
the manager responsible for the corner and the editor involved with the
stories."

(Tickets for the public seppuku go on salenext week...)

--
Jim Breen http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/
Clayton School of Information Technology,

japan...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2008, 12:48:18 AM6/25/08

Let 'em do their worst.
The Mainichi newspaper sucks, not only on that corner
but also almost all other columns in Japanese.
My family had been subscribing only that newspaper for
very long time because my grand father strongly did not
allow for our family subscribing other news papers. The
reason why we should read the Mainichi was that the
paper is the very paper which our Emperor was reading
also.
The Mainichi had changed. The headquarters building
is located just across the moat of the Imperial Palace but
some of the corres of that company is against the Emperor
system, a few years ago, a Korean-Japanese corres acted
extremely rude to the Emperor family. Sad but true story.

Travers Naran

Jun 25, 2008, 1:20:26 AM6/25/08
Jim Breen wrote:
> http://mdn.mainichi.jp/culture/waiwai/
>
> Quotes:
>
> "Mainichi Daily News, the Mainichi Newspapers' English language website,
> contained a corner called WaiWai that attracted criticism for such
> things as being too vulgar and debauching Japan by sending around the
> world information that could be misunderstood. In the wake of this
> criticism, we decided to end this corner."
>
> (Only good-news items about kimono dressing and cherry blossom from
> now on.)

I liked the comments on Japan Today: the only reason for ever reading
Mainichi on-line just went away.

--
-----
Travers Naran, tnaran at google's mail.com

obakesan

Jun 25, 2008, 2:30:32 AM6/25/08
Hi

In article
<72bd0d6e-d9d5-41c9...@s33g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,

japan...@gmail.com wrote:
>The Mainichi had changed. The headquarters building
>is located just across the moat of the Imperial Palace but
>some of the corres of that company is against the Emperor
>system, a few years ago, a Korean-Japanese corres acted
>extremely rude to the Emperor family. Sad but true story.

I wonder what he did? Fail to use the correct version of keigo?

See Ya
(when bandwidth gets better ;-)

Chris Eastwood
Photographer, Programmer Motorcyclist and dingbat
blog: http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/

please remove undies for reply

Ben Bullock

Jun 25, 2008, 2:42:35 AM6/25/08
In sci.lang.japan Jim Breen <jimb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> (Only good-news items about kimono dressing and cherry blossom from
> now on.)

> (Tickets for the public seppuku go on salenext week...)

It was surprising to me that something as blatantly sleazy as WaiWai
was being published on the Mainichi news site in English & I did
wonder how long it was going to last.

Declan Murphy

Jun 25, 2008, 3:48:46 AM6/25/08
On Jun 25, 3:42 pm, benkasminbull...@gmail.com (Ben Bullock) wrote:

It was one of the few items on the website attracting any traffic. No
wonder it lasted a while.

I don't think its so unusual. Compare the main page of most
broadsheets, with the corresponding frontpage of their website. The
website version invariably has a somewhat tabloid skew.

John W.

Jun 25, 2008, 10:23:06 AM6/25/08
On Jun 25, 2:48 am, Declan Murphy <declan_mur...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think its so unusual. Compare the main page of most
> broadsheets, with the corresponding frontpage of their website. The
> website version invariably has a somewhat tabloid skew.

Are you implying that Japanese housewives aren't prostituting on the
side? Not only did my one reason to read Mainichi go away, I also now
lost one reason to go to Japan.

Wonder if Ryan O'Connell is now unemployed; had some good email
correspondence with him a few years back. Seemed like a nice guy.

John W.

Marvel

Jun 25, 2008, 11:01:01 AM6/25/08

"John W." <worth...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I found it pretty wacked and did not read it.

OTOH they have a right to say what they want and we have the right to read
or not to read.

.

John W.

Jun 25, 2008, 7:44:14 PM6/25/08
On Jun 25, 12:30 am, pellicleund...@hotmail.com (obakesan) wrote:
> Hi
>
> In article
> <72bd0d6e-d9d5-41c9-907d-ebfe38bdc...@s33g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,

> japanolo...@gmail.com wrote:
> >The Mainichi had changed.  The headquarters building
> >is located just across the moat of the Imperial Palace but
> >some of the corres of that company is against the Emperor
> >system, a few years ago, a Korean-Japanese corres acted
> >extremely rude to the Emperor family. Sad but true story.
>
> I wonder what he did? Fail to use the correct version of keigo?

Maybe he asked one of those questions about history that I bet the
Emperor doesn't like having to answer.

John W.

Jim Breen

Jun 25, 2008, 7:59:56 PM6/25/08
Tony Bryant (former poster here) said an interesting thing
on TJP:

"Well, admission time.

When I was at the Mainichi, I was one of the two people responsible for
the intro of WAI WAI to the paper. Of course, the Wai Wai was
structurally very different and we were much more selective in content
back in 1991. Basically, we took about half a dozen stories, condensed
each one into one paragraph, and had a big section of topical Japanese
newspaper and weekly mag comics with translation and cultural notes,
etc. Basically, the Wai Wai page was "this is this week in Japanese pop
culture."

Apparently, it's changed somewhat since Adam and I worked on WaiWai."

japan...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2008, 1:36:14 AM6/28/08