Firebug 1.5a14 and 1.4b10

John J Barton

Jul 14, 2009, 8:44:35 PM7/14/09
to Firebug
Icon updates to finish 1.4:
http://blog.getfirebug.com/?p=282

jjb

Highway of Life

Jul 15, 2009, 3:58:49 AM7/15/09
to Firebug
Well done! Nice icons! :D

- Highway

Russell

Jul 15, 2009, 5:58:35 AM7/15/09
to Firebug
Button Continue does not work!

johnjbarton

Jul 15, 2009, 9:48:13 AM7/15/09
to Firebug
Which test case!

Russell

Jul 15, 2009, 9:56:01 AM7/15/09
to Firebug
1. Open Firefox 3.5
2. Open Firebug 1.4X.0.b10
3. Set breakpoint anywhere in script
4. When programm is stopped at this breakpoint I click button
Contibue, but does not happen

johnjbarton

Jul 15, 2009, 10:15:56 AM7/15/09
to Firebug
You're right, thanks! It works on 1.5a14 but not 1.4b10. So much for
automated testing.
jjb

sir_brizz

Jul 15, 2009, 10:23:57 AM7/15/09
to Firebug
The new Off icon and Inspect icon are WAY better. Now if only the
default location of Off was to the left of the others :p

Russell

Jul 15, 2009, 10:27:16 AM7/15/09
to Firebug
I don't understand why do you change icons in each new release? There
are a lot of bugs, please fix its.

Nick Fitzsimons

Jul 15, 2009, 10:19:18 AM7/15/09
to fir...@googlegroups.com
2009/7/15 Russell <Alexande...@epam.com>:

> 1. Open Firefox 3.5
> 2. Open Firebug 1.4X.0.b10
> 3. Set breakpoint anywhere in script
> 4. When programm is stopped at this breakpoint I click button
> Contibue, but does not happen

Broken for me too, on every page I try - 1.4.0b10, WinXP SP3.
--
Nick Fitzsimons
http://www.nickfitz.co.uk/

johnjbarton

Jul 15, 2009, 10:31:07 AM7/15/09
to Firebug
Well we are pretty much done with changing icons now, but as for lots
of bugs that is not at all my impression. If you know of bugs you have
to report them. I can't see your screen from here.
jjb

Russell

Jul 15, 2009, 10:36:09 AM7/15/09
to Firebug
I get blank page when I click F5 button.

1. Open Firefox 3.5
2. Open Firebug 1.5X.0.a14
3. Set breakpoint anywhere in script
4. When programm is stopped at this breakpoint I click F5 button and
get blank page

johnjbarton

Jul 15, 2009, 10:41:39 AM7/15/09
to Firebug
Here is what I tried:

> 1. Open Firefox 3.5
> 2. Open Firebug 1.5X.0.a14
3. Open http://getfirebug.com/tests/content/script/1483/issue1483.html
4. reload
5. Set breakpoint on line 5 of index.js
6. reload
7. When programm is stopped at this breakpoint I click F5 button.

The breakpoint hits again.

jjb

Russell

Jul 15, 2009, 10:45:46 AM7/15/09
to Firebug
Maybe it's very simple example. But my site has long scripts and I
take this bug every day.

On 15 июл, 18:41, johnjbarton <johnjbar...@johnjbarton.com> wrote:
> Here is what I tried:
>
> > 1. Open Firefox 3.5
> >  2. Open Firebug 1.5X.0.a14
>
>  3. Openhttp://getfirebug.com/tests/content/script/1483/issue1483.html

sir_brizz

Jul 15, 2009, 10:51:53 AM7/15/09
to Firebug
What platform? On Mac this could happen depending on where you are
placing your breakpoint because Firebug doesn't capture the function
buttons on Mac.

johnjbarton

Jul 15, 2009, 10:54:08 AM7/15/09
to Firebug
If you want to have it fixed, I need a test case. It is probably not
related to the size of the scripts, but to some condition different in
your use of the scripts. If we can uncover the difference, I can fix
the problem. Otherwise as you can understand, there isn't anything I
can do about the problem.
jjb

alfonsoml

Jul 15, 2009, 11:41:17 AM7/15/09
to Firebug

On Jul 15, 2:44 am, John J Barton <johnjbar...@johnjbarton.com> wrote:
> Icon updates to finish 1.4:http://blog.getfirebug.com/?p=282
>
> jjb

This sentence worries me a little: "In Firebug 1.5, we plan to have
break on next in all panels, doing different cool things."

Having a button that does different things depending on where you are
is likely to create as much confusion as the change to the Close/Off
button in 1.4

I really don't know what you have planned, but I would beg you to
please think carefully about it. For most of the people Firebug is
just a tool, they don't want to spend time learning all the things
that are changed between releases. In fact, I bet that lots of people
would be pleased if they could just run 1.1 or 1.2 with very little
changes to how it worked.
We are slow animals, and once we learn our way we might be too
stubborn.

Kara Rawson

Jul 15, 2009, 12:04:24 PM7/15/09
to fir...@googlegroups.com
from what i learned in UI classes in college was that it is very bad to
change dynamically change the functionality of activation components. IE
do not have one button that looks the same providing different
functionality based on the state, to get around this you need to change
the look and feel of the button to match the state. food for thought

kara

johnjbarton

Jul 15, 2009, 12:06:36 PM7/15/09
to Firebug

On Jul 15, 8:41 am, alfonsoml <aml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 15, 2:44 am, John J Barton <johnjbar...@johnjbarton.com> wrote:
>
> > Icon updates to finish 1.4:http://blog.getfirebug.com/?p=282
>
> > jjb
>
> This sentence worries me a little: "In Firebug 1.5, we plan to have
> break on next in all panels, doing different cool things."
>
> Having a button that does different things depending on where you are
> is likely to create as much confusion as the change to the Close/Off
> button in 1.4

So you think having different buttons for the similar functions in
different panels is less confusing? I'm not sure. But we have not
worked out the UI anyway. And for 1.4, having the break on next
disabled makes sense.

> I really don't know what you have planned, but I would beg you to
> please think carefully about it. For most of the people Firebug is
> just a tool, they don't want to spend time learning all the things
> that are changed between releases. In fact, I bet that lots of people
> would be pleased if they could just run 1.1 or 1.2 with very little
> changes to how it worked.

Well someone could decide to work on that, but it would not be me. And
historically tools that continually improved, even when users
complained about the improvements, have I guess been more successful.

The amount of UI change in 1.5 and 1.6 will be much less than in
1.4.

> We are slow animals, and once we learn our way we might be too
> stubborn.

Yes, but I guess you want new toys too. So even if you don't like
every change, you might still accept them to get others.

jjb

Steven Roussey

Jul 15, 2009, 3:28:56 PM7/15/09
to Firebug
> > I really don't know what you have planned, but I would beg you to
> > For most of the people Firebug is
> > just a tool, they don't want to spend time learning all the things
> > that are changed between releases. In fact, I bet that lots of people
> > would be pleased if they could just run 1.1 or 1.2 with very little
> > changes to how it worked.

That is the why so many people still use IE6.

alfonsoml

Jul 15, 2009, 5:51:17 PM7/15/09
to Firebug

On Jul 15, 6:06 pm, johnjbarton <johnjbar...@johnjbarton.com> wrote:
> On Jul 15, 8:41 am, alfonsoml <aml...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jul 15, 2:44 am, John J Barton <johnjbar...@johnjbarton.com> wrote:
>
> > > Icon updates to finish 1.4:http://blog.getfirebug.com/?p=282
>
> > > jjb
>
> > This sentence worries me a little: "In Firebug 1.5, we plan to have
> > break on next in all panels, doing different cool things."
>
> > Having a button that does different things depending on where you are
> > is likely to create as much confusion as the change to the Close/Off
> > button in 1.4
>
> So you think having different buttons for the similar functions in
> different panels is less confusing? I'm not sure. But we have not
> worked out the UI anyway. And for 1.4, having the break on next
> disabled makes sense.

I don't know.

The only info that I have about the change is that sentence and your
reply, so I can't assert if it is confusing or not, but I can't
imagine what the "break on next" might mean in the HTML, CSS or DOM
panels. In the console it might mean a way to debug step by step any
function executed in the console, that would be interesting. In the
net panel it might mean that it stops the load of any of the resources
of the page, but that looks quite complex (and I can't see right now
how that's useful, usually I want to load everything to replicate real
conditions, but I haven't thought about it more than 1 minute)

I'm just asking you, please, to share the proposals about how the
interface is gonna be changed with the rest of the users. Don't put
the changes in some alpha release that it's too risky to use and then
get angry when people come here complaining that the interface isn't
intuitive and it's doing strange things.

johnjbarton

Jul 15, 2009, 7:34:32 PM7/15/09
to Firebug
I'm sorry but this is very confusing. We share our proposals in terms
of alpha releases. If I come across and "angry" sorry. I do vigorously
defend our changes because they are motivated, not idle. We listen to
every complaint. We don't always act on them; we don't always act on
them right away; we don't always act on them the way you want. But as
far as I am concerned every user complaint is worth considering as
information to make Firebug better.

jjb

Luke Maurer

Jul 15, 2009, 8:20:55 PM7/15/09
to Firebug
On Jul 15, 8:41 am, alfonsoml <aml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 15, 2:44 am, John J Barton <johnjbar...@johnjbarton.com> wrote:
>
> > Icon updates to finish 1.4:http://blog.getfirebug.com/?p=282
>
> > jjb
>
> This sentence worries me a little: "In Firebug 1.5, we plan to have
> break on next in all panels, doing different cool things."
>
> Having a button that does different things depending on where you are
> is likely to create as much confusion as the change to the Close/Off
> button in 1.4

Actually (and, believe me, I'm not exactly a Firebug UI apologist
>:-) ) this sounds like an excellent idea to me. What's important is
that it be consistent and intuitive in meaning among the several
panels.

Off the top of my head, Break On Next should break on the following in
different panels:

* Console: Next console output
* HTML: Next content alteration
* CSS: Next CSS rule alteration, or maybe style change?
* Script: As now
* DOM: Next change to object in view (ooh, watchpoints! :-) )
* Net: Next Ajax response

Gotta say, there's reason to be excited about each of these :-) The
one thing that should probably be considered carefully is the icon.
"Pause" isn't exactly what the user wants to do. But "break on next"
is a pretty abstract concept, and I can't think of something better at
the moment.

- Luke

Luke Maurer

Jul 15, 2009, 8:24:28 PM7/15/09
to Firebug
One quibble (and it's minor this time, I promise :-) ):

> And for 1.4, having the break on next
> disabled makes sense.

It's a little weird having a button on the main toolbar that's only
enabled for one panel - especially when it duplicates a button on that
one panel's own toolbar. Why not just remove it from the main toolbar
for the time being?

- Luke

johnjbarton

Jul 15, 2009, 8:51:21 PM7/15/09
to Firebug
Set a breakpoint and hit it. Then switch to the Console. Get
interrupted. Go back to work.

In 1.3 "Firebug is broken!!!!"
In 1.4: " Oh, I'm still on the breakpoint, I guess I have to hit
continue before anything else."

jjb

sir_brizz

Jul 15, 2009, 9:46:44 PM7/15/09
to Firebug
Yeah, it's not so much the Pause button that is useful, but the Play
button it's replaced with on a breakpoint.

johnjbarton

Jul 15, 2009, 11:59:25 PM7/15/09
to Firebug

On Jul 15, 5:20 pm, Luke Maurer <luke.v.mau...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Off the top of my head, Break On Next should break on the following in
> different panels:
>
> * Console: Next console output

Or next error

> * HTML: Next content alteration

Could be subdivided: attribute, node, text;

> * CSS: Next CSS rule alteration, or maybe style change?

May need Firefox help

> * Script: As now
> * DOM: Next change to object in view (ooh, watchpoints! :-) )
> * Net: Next Ajax response

Break on XHR is already implemented in 1.5.

> Gotta say, there's reason to be excited about each of these :-) The
> one thing that should probably be considered carefully is the icon.
> "Pause" isn't exactly what the user wants to do. But "break on next"
> is a pretty abstract concept, and I can't think of something better at
> the moment.

We could call it "Pause On Next" ;-).
jjb