Minimizing Firebug 1.4a22

John J Barton

Apr 29, 2009, 1:05:06 AM4/29/09
to Firebug

We are very close to the end of Firebug 1.4 features. I am just adding
a few more to deal with problems raised by users of the some new
features.

Now on the upper right hand menu will be a new button, a down arrow to
mean “Minimize Firebug”. .....

See http://blog.getfirebug.com/?p=156 for the pics and full text.

jjb

Morgan Allen

Apr 29, 2009, 1:15:45 AM4/29/09
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I think this is the feature that has been causing me some headaches. I just wish the console would stay in the last position I left it. I keep running into; if I close it then refresh it opens or if I open it and refresh it closes. The 'minimized:' list keeps growing and apparently not doing anything.
--
http://morglog.org
.......It's a sweater!

http://www.alleycatracing.com
LTABOTIIOFR! ROFL! ROFL! ROFL!
Upcoming alley cats, reviews, touring logs, and a general congregation of bike nerdity.

Maciej Jaros

Apr 29, 2009, 3:52:13 AM4/29/09
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I still get a blank console command line window if I tab through tabs,
but it's now a less reoccurring problem.

But to the point - not sure if I got the blog entry right so is this a bug?:

1. Open FB
2. Activate e.g. scripts and console.
3. Minimize (with the new button).
4. Open up with FB icon.
5. Close w [x].

FB stays active (or at least the icon is orange). Close seems to work
again only when you go to another tab and back.

Best wishes,
Nux.

Maciej Jaros

Apr 29, 2009, 4:00:20 AM4/29/09
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Another one:

1. Open FF.
2. Open FB with console&scripts enabled
3. Paste something like: var xxx='blah';alert(xxx);
4. Start script (works)
5. Close ([x])
6. Open (FB icon)
7. Start script (doesn't work - just shows ">>> var
xxx='blah';alert(xxx);" in the console)

No other scripts (run in console's command line) work after that (or
doesn't seem to work).

Best wishes,
Nux.

Richard Heyes

Apr 29, 2009, 4:49:13 AM4/29/09
to Firebug
Personally I very much liked the way the old Firebug worked - the
reason I have to use 1.4 is because I run FF3.5 (and need to). Is it
possible for an option to have it enabled/running by default?

Thanks.

Richard Heyes

Apr 29, 2009, 5:37:47 AM4/29/09
to Firebug

Personally I'm with you - I liked Firebug being enabled all the time,
by default. Is it possible to add an option to allow this?

johnjbarton

Apr 29, 2009, 11:20:33 AM4/29/09
to Firebug
Morgan, if you can give a specific list of the operations that cause
you problems we can fix it.
jjb

On Apr 28, 10:15 pm, Morgan Allen <morganral...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this is the feature that has been causing me some headaches. I just
> wish the console would stay in the last position I left it. I keep running
> into; if I close it then refresh it opens or if I open it and refresh it
> closes. The 'minimized:' list keeps growing and apparently not doing
> anything.
>
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:05 PM, John J Barton <johnjbar...@johnjbarton.com
>

> > wrote:
>
> > We are very close to the end of Firebug 1.4 features. I am just adding
> > a few more to deal with problems raised by users of the some new
> > features.
>
> > Now on the upper right hand menu will be a new button, a down arrow to
> > mean “Minimize Firebug”. .....
>
> > Seehttp://blog.getfirebug.com/?p=156for the pics and full text.
>
> > jjb
>
> --http://morglog.org

johnjbarton

Apr 29, 2009, 11:24:03 AM4/29/09
to Firebug

On Apr 29, 12:52 am, Maciej Jaros <e...@wp.pl> wrote:
..
> I still get a blank console command line window if I tab through tabs,
> but it's now a less reoccurring problem.

Sorry I don't know what you mean by this. Firefox tabs or Firebug
tabs? What is wrong with a blank Console panel?

> But to the point - not sure if I got the blog entry right so is this a bug?:
>
>    1. Open FB
>    2. Activate e.g. scripts and console.
>    3. Minimize (with the new button).
>    4. Open up with FB icon.
>    5. Close w [x].
>
> FB stays active (or at least the icon is orange). Close seems to work
> again only when you go to another tab and back.

This sounds correct to me. Orange == active. If you have Firebug open
on another tab than the one you are looking at, then it will be
orange. Hover on the icon to see the status.

jjb

johnjbarton

Apr 29, 2009, 11:28:55 AM4/29/09
to Firebug

On Apr 29, 1:00 am, Maciej Jaros <e...@wp.pl> wrote:
> Another one:
>
>    1. Open FF.
>    2. Open FB with console&scripts enabled
>    3. Paste something like: var xxx='blah';alert(xxx);
>    4. Start script (works)
>    5. Close ([x])
>    6. Open (FB icon)
>    7. Start script (doesn't work - just shows ">>> var
>       xxx='blah';alert(xxx);" in the console)
>
> No other scripts (run in console's command line) work after that (or
> doesn't seem to work).

This also sounds correct, but I am unsure what you mean by step 7.

After you Close ([x]), Firebug is not attached to the page. If you
then open, it attaches late. So you can explore the state of the page
but active stuff like console, script debugging, and net panel are not
correct. You have to reload to get this correct.

This is also a change from 1.3. In 1.3, enabling the panels or
Firebug reloaded the page (so all the information would be correct).
In v1.4 Firebug does not automatically reload the page ever. So you
have to do it manually if you want the info/command line to be
correct.

jjb

jjb

johnjbarton

Apr 29, 2009, 11:29:42 AM4/29/09
to Firebug
Firebug Status Icon Menu > Right click (Context Menu) > On For all
pages.

Richard Heyes

Apr 29, 2009, 11:40:24 AM4/29/09
to Firebug
Hi,

> Firebug Status Icon Menu > Right click (Context Menu) > On For all
> pages.

Thanks. Is there a way to have it minimized but running (ie catching
JS errors). I don't normally have it open, and really only want it
open when I click on it. If I do what you've said Firebug opens on
every page refresh.

Cheers.

Richard Heyes

Apr 29, 2009, 11:46:03 AM4/29/09
to Firebug
Just to try and clarify a bit more, I previously had Firebug 1.4.10
with FF 3.1b3, and that behaved just how I wanted. Cheers.

johnjbarton

Apr 29, 2009, 4:14:19 PM4/29/09
to Firebug
No such option sorry.

jjb

fattchris

Apr 29, 2009, 4:21:34 PM4/29/09
to Firebug
Is this to say that in the next version that the minimized version
will NOT still be catching JS erros and HTTP calls?

I apologize in advance if I am misunderstanding this, but the loss of
the current ability to keep firebug minimized WHILE running would be
baaaaaad. :(

johnjbarton

Apr 29, 2009, 5:18:52 PM4/29/09
to Firebug
I added minimize specifically to allow people to run Firebug without
the Firebug UI showing. All Firebug functions will be running, just
the UI will not show up.

Richard Heyes was asking for something different. He wanted all web
pages he visits to have Firebug active *and* minimized. The "On for
all pages" option makes Firebug activate but not minimized.

jjb

fattchris

Apr 29, 2009, 5:22:30 PM4/29/09
to Firebug
ok fffeeewww! I just say my life pass before my face!

you know, us crazy web developers LIVE off of firebug. You got us
hooked man.

Thanks
Chris

johnjbarton

Apr 29, 2009, 5:44:39 PM4/29/09
to Firebug
Well after reading this thread I realize that I got the minimize
function wrong.

Minimize, detach, open and close should be independent of the tab/web
page. These should be states of the Firebug window.

So if you open Firebug it is open on active pages. If you minimize it,
it is minimized on active pages, etc. Firebug should not be minimized
on some pages, detached on some pages, open on some pages.

Independence would make the code simpler and the use model easier to
explain.

jjb

Richard Heyes

Apr 30, 2009, 6:52:26 AM4/30/09
to Firebug

Is it possible to add this? Reason is that I use a relatively low res
because my sight is not good, so my screen real estate is limited.
Ideally I'd like Firebug running from the moment the browser is
started, catching JS errors as and when they occur. But I'd also like
it out of the way until I need it. Previously I was using 1.4.10
(IIRC) with FF 3.1b3 which did exactly what I wanted.

Thanks!

Maciej Jaros

Apr 30, 2009, 7:16:45 AM4/30/09
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hm... That doesn't sound right. After step 7 I get an orange icon and
everything looks active, but I'm not able to use command line console...
How should one know that FB is inactive (or partially) and that one
should do something to get it fully active?

Regards,
Nux.