Firebug 1.5b1

John J Barton

Oct 21, 2009, 8:42:18 PM10/21/09
to Firebug
Our work on 1.5 features is complete:
http://blog.getfirebug.com/2009/10/21/firebug-1-5b1/

Now we are looking for user feedback and bug reports. We expect to
have about six to eight weeks to fix bugs in 1.5. Once Firefox 3.6
ships we will pretty much end work on 1.5 except for a few tweaks or
fixes. So now is the time to try 1.5 on your web site and let us
know...

jjb

CarynG

Oct 21, 2009, 10:23:15 PM10/21/09
to Firebug
I have tried to install the latest version (referenced above). Again,
goes through all the motions and isn't showing up in the Tools menu or
in the Extensions section. You can see my earlier posts on this topic
for further details.
Running latest version of FF; I've uninstalled .NET Framework (and any
other add-ons you had on your list).

In short, whether it's my Vista 64-bit OS (which I tend to blame for
all woes), the latest version of FF, or your (my beloved) FB, I don't
know. FF will not respond to my inquires. Had someone write to me
from England today asking me if this problem had been resolved. I'm
not the only one with this issue!

Please advise what other info you might need from me to fix this
rather major problem.

With much appreciation!

Caryn
Message has been deleted

John J Barton

Oct 22, 2009, 12:03:27 AM10/22/09
to Firebug

On Oct 21, 7:23 pm, CarynG <caryn.goldsm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have tried to install the latest version (referenced above).  Again,
> goes through all the motions and isn't showing up in the Tools menu or
> in the Extensions section.  You can see my earlier posts on this topic
> for further details.
> Running latest version of FF; I've uninstalled .NET Framework (and any
> other add-ons you had on your list).
>
> In short, whether it's my Vista 64-bit OS (which I tend to blame for
> all woes), the latest version of FF, or your (my beloved) FB, I don't
> know.  FF will not respond to my inquires.  Had someone write to me
> from England today asking me if this problem had been resolved.  I'm
> not the only one with this issue!
>
> Please advise what other info you might need from me to fix this
> rather major problem.

Have you tried creating a new firefox "profile"? This solves most of
the unusual problems. A 'profile' is firefox lingo for "configuration"
or "setup".

We have instructions here:
http://getfirebug.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ#Installing_in_a_clean_Profile
also some more hints are on that page.

Let us know.
jjb

CarynG

Oct 22, 2009, 12:43:10 AM10/22/09
to Firebug
I had seen these instructions elsewhere. My problem is that I don't
have the extension files referenced below anywhere (and no files are
hidden, except for those system files they won't really let me see -
or scared me into thinking I couldn't see them, I can't recall which).

* extensions.ini
* extensions.cache
* extensions.rdf
* compreg.dat

Nevertheless, I tried to create a new profile and it didn't make a
difference.

My sense is that something is corrupted. I mentioned to FF that any
ad links (to the right and those on top of a search) in Google don't
generate a real page (just shows as xowry.gif - with nothing in the
body of the page). Not sure why I think this could be related, but it
was the first problem I noticed starting a month ago. In IE, the
links in Google are just fine.

I hadn't used or looked for FB until a few days ago, so I'm not sure
when it disappeared.

.NET Framework was on my computer until yesterday. I really don't
think it was the problem, but I did uninstall it.

Oddly, the first real issue I noticed, in addition to the ads, was a
few days before I noticed FB was missing: Delicious was missing as
well. When I deleted .NET, Delicious came back but FB didn't.

If this is more info than you needed, I apologize. Figured you'd want
to know where things were coming from. I honestly don't know when FF
updates as it's automatic. I'm wondering if going back to an older
version, like from early September, would be a good idea.

It's times like these that I really miss my IT guy. Here's to small
business owners everywhere!

Best,

Caryn

John J Barton

Oct 22, 2009, 1:10:09 AM10/22/09
to Firebug

On Oct 21, 9:43 pm, CarynG <caryn.goldsm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had seen these instructions elsewhere.  My problem is that I don't
> have the extension files referenced below anywhere (and no files are
> hidden, except for those system files they won't really let me see -
> or scared me into thinking I couldn't see them, I can't recall which).
>
>     * extensions.ini
>     * extensions.cache
>     * extensions.rdf
>     * compreg.dat
>
> Nevertheless, I tried to create a new profile and it didn't make a
> difference.
>
> My sense is that something is corrupted.  I mentioned to FF that any
> ad links (to the right and those on top of a search) in Google don't
> generate a real page (just shows as xowry.gif - with nothing in the
> body of the page).  Not sure why I think this could be related, but it
> was the first problem I noticed starting a month ago.  In IE, the
> links in Google are just fine.

This can't be good.

> I hadn't used or looked for FB until a few days ago, so I'm not sure
> when it disappeared.
>
> .NET Framework was on my computer until yesterday.  I really don't
> think it was the problem, but I did uninstall it.
>
> Oddly, the first real issue I noticed, in addition to the ads, was a
> few days before I noticed FB was missing:  Delicious was missing as
> well.  When I deleted .NET, Delicious came back but FB didn't.
>
> If this is more info than you needed, I apologize.  Figured you'd want
> to know where things were coming from.  I honestly don't know when FF
> updates as it's automatic.  I'm wondering if going back to an older
> version, like from early September, would be a good idea.

Your problem is not caused by the Firefox version. The problem is on
your machine.

If you can, check for viruses/spy ware. Reboot.

Then is my suggestion: install Firefox from a zip file. Firefox does
not support this so you have to use an automatically tested build:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla-1.9.1/
Pick the one that says
firefox-3.5.5pre.en-US.win32.zip
meaning this is a build of Firefox 3.5.5 before it is ready, in US
English, for windows, as a zip file. Since 3.5 is only being changed a
very small amount, the "before it is ready" part is not something you
need to worry about.

First change to the new Firefox profile you created.
Then download and unzip the file, exit your previous Firefox and go in
the the unzipped directory to find "firefox.exe". Run it.

jjb

Mike Ratcliffe

Oct 22, 2009, 3:38:21 AM10/22/09
to Firebug
By the was, this works fine for me on a Vista 64 box.

Oh, and blog related ... my name is Mike Ratcliffe, Sabine is my wife
and her name is in my Gmail address purely because I stole the account
from her. I would change it but that would mess up lots of stuff
("open & owned by me", group access etc.)
-
Mike Ratcliffe
> not support this so you have to use an automatically tested build:http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla...

Steven Roussey

Oct 22, 2009, 10:36:33 AM10/22/09
to Firebug
> Have you tried creating a new firefox "profile"?

With the way Firefox installs extensions based on registry keys, you
might test a new "user" profile in windows (though only 50% likely to
fix said registry settings). Extension developers do this sometimes to
automatically install the extension they are developing into every
profile, old and new:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Adding_Extensions_using_the_Windows_Registry

Note: the same thing can be done with native code extensions.

toonetown

Oct 23, 2009, 12:04:51 PM10/23/09
to Firebug
Great work! This seems rock-solid to me...haven't had much problems
with it at all (aside from cosmetic issues - which have been
reported).

One question though - now that it's to "beta" status, is there any
chance of us getting a version without tracing enabled - so it will
run a bit faster? :)

-Nathan

toonetown