1.4 Issue Summary Revisited

John J Barton

Jul 8, 2009, 12:05:59 AM7/8/09
to Firebug
I think we are ready for 1.4.0:
http://blog.getfirebug.com/?p=259

jjb

sir_brizz

Jul 8, 2009, 1:47:54 AM7/8/09
to Firebug
Bah, I thought you were moving the X to the left of the buttons :(

Luke Maurer

Jul 8, 2009, 4:24:54 PM7/8/09
to Firebug
Agreed. Much better that way, since minimize is a much more common and
less disruptive operation.

And since the argument goes that what was once called "close" is now
called "minimize," it follows that the minimize button should be where
the close button was.

- Luke

johnjbarton

Jul 8, 2009, 4:37:10 PM7/8/09
to Firebug
I would like to understand why you don't want to use the status bar
icon for minimize/unminize.
jjb

Luke Maurer

Jul 8, 2009, 4:45:58 PM7/8/09
to Firebug
Because I don't want to? Because it's not my habit? Because it's
counterintuitive? Because I'll have to think to remember that clicking
the bug again will minimize, not close, even though clicking the bug
the first time activated Firebug, so even though it mostly *looks*
like clicking again undid the action, it didn't entirely, and I'd have
to look closely and realize the bug isn't grayed out to figure that
out, which I won't do because I have shit to do?

It's not our job to conform our thinking and habits to the design.

- Luke

johnjbarton

Jul 8, 2009, 4:59:23 PM7/8/09
to Firebug
Maybe it will help to think of the Firebug status bar icon as a "I
want to see Firebug now" / "I don't want to see Firebug now". Lots of
people find this very effective.
jjb

Luke Maurer

Jul 8, 2009, 5:40:14 PM7/8/09
to Firebug
Ah! But it's much trickier than that nowadays. In 1.3, that was
exactly how it worked. But now, whether you can "see" firebug is
caught up with whether Firebug is monitoring Ajax and such.

You're right, the icon *can* still be used to toggle visibility. But I
don't always use the icon; sometimes I use the [X] because after all
that also means "let me not see this," right? Er, no, not anymore.

(Incidentally, using the status icon to control the window and the
window buttons to control the background tasks is exactly *backward.*)

- Luke

Trevan Richins

Jul 8, 2009, 7:41:18 PM7/8/09
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I don't use the bug because it is farther down to the bottom of the page. I only take the mouse to the status bar when I want to open it. Then the mouse is up in firebug doing stuff, and when I want to minimize, I go to the closest place, which is the top right corner. The bug feels too far out of the way for me. I've used it every now and then to minimize, but it feels like I'm going out of my way to minimize the panel while using the top right corner just feels right.

David Citron

Jul 8, 2009, 11:12:21 PM7/8/09
to Firebug
I assume this is a solicitation for general issues still seen in the
community.

I am personally still encountering:
http://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/detail?id=1307 (even though the
related Bugzilla was resolved)
http://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/detail?id=1697 and/or
http://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/detail?id=1724 (dups, it appears)

Are those not considered blockers for 1.4.0?

Thanks!
Dave

johnjbarton

Jul 9, 2009, 12:34:31 AM7/9/09
to Firebug

On Jul 8, 8:12 pm, David Citron <dcit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I assume this is a solicitation for general issues still seen in the
> community.
>
> I am personally still encountering:http://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/detail?id=1307(even though the

1307 does not happen for me.

> related Bugzilla was resolved)http://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/detail?id=1697and/orhttp://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/detail?id=1724(dups, it appears)

Neither
Issue 1697: Console stops auto-scrolling
nor
Issue 1724: Firebug no longer keeps the console window scrolled to
the bottom
have test cases.

So, no we can't wait on these.

> Are those not considered blockers for 1.4.0?

Realistically the console scrolling problem could be fixed for 1.4.1
next week....if we had a solid test case for it. (We hope to have
1.4.0 out Friday, Monday for AMO).
jjb

Tim Cube

Jul 9, 2009, 8:32:25 PM7/9/09
to Firebug
I was pretty bummed about this too, and haunted by flashbacks of other
good software turning sour, notably amarok2, kde4.

It's not hard to fix though, just edit ~/.mozilla/firefox-3.5/
*.default/extensions/fir...@software.joehewitt.com/content/firebug/
firebugOverlay.xul. Look for 'Off'.

Luke Maurer

Jul 10, 2009, 1:54:34 AM7/10/09
to Firebug
On Jul 9, 5:32 pm, Tim Cube <timec...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was pretty bummed about this too, and haunted by flashbacks of other
> good software turning sour, notably amarok2, kde4.

*Ouch.*

- Luke

johnjbarton

Jul 10, 2009, 10:55:03 AM7/10/09
to Firebug

On Jul 9, 5:32 pm, Tim Cube <timec...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was pretty bummed about this too, and haunted by flashbacks of other
> good software turning sour, notably amarok2, kde4.
>
> It's not hard to fix though, just edit ~/.mozilla/firefox-3.5/
> *.default/extensions/fire...@software.joehewitt.com/content/firebug/
> firebugOverlay.xul. Look for 'Off'.

Just to confirm, the order of the three buttons is solely determined
by the order of the declaration in firebugOverlay.xul and as far as I
know reordering these declarations to create a different order will
not other wise affect Firebug function.

jjv

sir_brizz

Jul 10, 2009, 12:35:52 PM7/10/09
to Firebug
the problems is, if I'm not mistaken, that xul file is in the Firebug
jar and I don't really want to extract that and all just to change the
layout of some buttons.

johnjbarton

Jul 10, 2009, 1:01:33 PM7/10/09
to Firebug
That xul file is not in a jar file.
jjb

sir_brizz

Jul 10, 2009, 4:22:05 PM7/10/09
to Firebug
Ah, I was looking at the wrong profile. Whoops :)

Well I have no problem with this. Even if it gets overwritten in the
next updates, I don't really mind having to change one line in an
uncompressed file to get what I want.

Shaun@Estately

Jul 10, 2009, 6:24:23 PM7/10/09
to Firebug
Since 1.4.0b7 I now get this error when developing locally... not sure
what causes it:

nreadystatechange FAILS Error: Permission denied for <http://vm:3000>
to create wrapper for object of class UnnamedClass Error: Permission
denied for <http://vm:3000> to create wrapper for object of class
UnnamedClass [xpconnect wrapped nsIDOMEventListener]

Details:
fileName = "XPCSafeJSObjectWrapper.cpp"
lineNumber = 450
message = "Permission denied for <http://vm:3000> to create wrapper
for object of class UnnamedClass"
name = "Error"
stack = "handleEvent([object Event])@:0\nXPC_SJOW_CallWrapper
(handleEvent,[object Event])@:0\n(XPC_SJOW_CallWrapper,handleEvent,
[object Event])@XPCSafeJSObjectWrapper.cpp:450\n@:0\n"

johnjbarton

Jul 10, 2009, 8:55:49 PM7/10/09
to Firebug
This sounds like issue 1948,
http://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/detail?id=1948

Nothing to do about it until we get help from Firefox.

Workaround is to turn off Firebug > Console > ShowXMLHttpRequests

jjb

David Citron

Jul 10, 2009, 10:32:25 PM7/10/09
to Firebug
On Jul 9, 12:34 am, johnjbarton <johnjbar...@johnjbarton.com> wrote:
> 1307 does not happen for me.

Ok, it's not happening for me now either. Very, very weird. Hopefully
it stays that way :-)

> Neither
> Issue 1697:      Console stops auto-scrolling
> nor
> Issue 1724:      Firebug no longer keeps the console window scrolled to
> the bottom
> have test cases.

1697 is trivially easy for me to repro. I've added a test case and
some commentary.