HTML5 .manifest files not appearing in Firebug net panel

Jesper Rønn-Jensen

Apr 19, 2010, 7:58:13 AM4/19/10
to Firebug
I ran into this odd thing when trying the HTML5 offline example. With
most recent stable Firebug 1.5.3, the manifest file did not show up in
the network panel.

According to the w3c standard it should be served with HTTP header
"text/cache-manifest", which could explain why it does not show up.
However, I run it via a tiny webserver that serves it (incorrectly) as
"application/octet-stream".

First of all, not showing .manifest files is this a bug or feature in
Firebug?

Here are the details of my test.

Code from http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/offline.html

Output from local webserver:

curl -D tmp.txt http://localhost:8000/clock.html >> tmp.txt && cat
tmp.txt
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time
Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent
Left Speed
100 258 100 258 0 0 35035 0 --:--:-- --:--:--
--:--:-- 51600
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Server: SimpleHTTP/0.6 Python/2.6.5
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 11:44:44 GMT
Last-Modified: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 12:07:54 GMT

<!-- clock.html -->
<!DOCTYPE HTML>
<head>
<title>Clock</title>
<script src="clock.js"></script>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="clock.css">
</head>
curl -D tmp.txt http://localhost:8000/clock.manifest >> tmp.txt && cat
tmp.txt
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time
Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent
Left Speed
100 46 100 46 0 0 10304 0 --:--:-- --:--:--
--:--:-- 23000
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 11:56:01 GMT
Last-Modified: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 12:10:10 GMT

CACHE MANIFEST
clock.html
clock.css
clock.js

[~ (master)⚡]

John J Barton

Apr 19, 2010, 10:24:38 AM4/19/10
to Firebug

On Apr 19, 4:58 am, Jesper Rønn-Jensen <jespe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I ran into this odd thing when trying the HTML5 offline example. With
> most recent stable Firebug 1.5.3, the manifest file did not show up in
> the network panel.
>
> According to the w3c standard it should be served with HTTP header
> "text/cache-manifest", which could explain why it does not show up.
> However, I run it via a tiny webserver that serves it (incorrectly) as
> "application/octet-stream".
>
> First of all, not showing .manifest files is this a bug or feature in
> Firebug?

My first guess is "neither a bug nor a feature". My guess is we do
nothing about this file at all and if you are not seeing it the simple
explanation is that Firefox is not reading it via normal methods.

> Here are the details of my test.
>
> Code fromhttp://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/offline.html

This file is not a test file, but rather contains some example code.

jjb