gmail warns about firebug

1 view

Nov 9, 2007, 8:40:25 AM11/9/07
to Firebug
Hello,

I've just seen yesterday (Nov 8) that GMail started complaining that
Firebug was enabled in my browser. As it says, "Firebug is known to
make Gmail slow unless it is configured correctly.". This comes with a
bunch of recent additions that can't identify in detail, but I can see
(and feel) they have changed some code. It really works slower than
before, though I have used FB for a long time already.

What they suggest is to either disable Firebug (easy fix!) or
disabling to options:
- Disable 'show XmlHttpRequests'
- Disalble Network Monitoring

I had heard already that Network Monitoring is one of the most memory
consuming features of Firebug. But never heard complains about the
XmlHttpRequests. So I ask the experts: Is is making things slower? Or
they are just trying to hide background gmail activity? (I am one of
those that occasionally spend some time examining requests contents to
see what they send about me, and how they send us the results).

Thanks,
Hernan.

John J Barton

Nov 9, 2007, 9:25:35 PM11/9/07
to Firebug
>From what I understand, Gmail updates the screen by polling the mail
service with XHR requests. If you have show XMLHttpRequests checked,
each poll will result in new entries in the Console panel. If you have
Net DisableNetworkMonitoring unchecked, each poll will add new entries
to the Net panel, including representations of all the data returned.

Neither of these panels ever disposes of the data. Consequently in
addition to the overhead of collecting and storing this information,
the memory for Firefox will eventually grow large enough to cause your
machine to page. Around that time you will start cursing Gmail for
making your whole machine slow.

Finally, as if that is not enough, Gmail uses pageads which evals ~1kb
every time it updates your ads and with Firebug on that takes some CPU
and memory as well.

A better solution than the one they recommend is to disable Firebug
for gmail. See the FAQ
http://groups.google.com/group/firebug/web/faq-about-firebug
Enable Firebug for Specific Sites

John.