Newbie can't set breakpoint as advertised

RichardOnRails

Sep 19, 2007, 10:41:51 PM9/19/07
to Firebug
Hi,

I'm following http://www.getfirebug.com/js.html in the section
entitled "JavaScript Debugging" where it says "To set breakpoints,
just click on any line number, and a red dot will appear to indicate
that the breakpoint is set."

I'm testing that in a toy page at http://home.comcast.net/~CaptQueeg/TestFirebugDebugging.html.

I open that page in FireFox, select Firebug, and view the page in the
HTML tab. When I expand the bottom script statement, I click, double-
click everywhere on line #4, nothing happens (except my cursor
becomes a carat (a verticule) when it's near the number or the "alert"
statement).

Any ideas?
--
Richard

WinXP-Pro/SP2, FireFox 2.0.0.7, Firebug 1.05, Java JVM 1.5.0_11-
b03,
SeaMonkey 1.1.4, Apatana 0.2.9.16696, , IE7

Message has been deleted

John J Barton

Sep 19, 2007, 11:48:53 PM9/19/07
to Firebug
Use Firebug->Script panel to set breakpoints.

On Sep 19, 7:41 pm, RichardOnRails
<RichardDummyMailbox58...@USComputerGurus.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm followinghttp://www.getfirebug.com/js.htmlin the section

> entitled "JavaScript Debugging" where it says "To set breakpoints,
> just click on any line number, and a red dot will appear to indicate
> that the breakpoint is set."
>

> I'm testing that in a toy page athttp://home.comcast.net/~CaptQueeg/TestFirebugDebugging.html.

RichardOnRails

Sep 20, 2007, 9:17:31 AM9/20/07
to Firebug
Hi John,

Thanks for your response.

> Use Firebug->Script panel to set breakpoints.

For this toy page, I got a 100+ lines of code, but my script seems
not to be visible. I've post the content of the Script tag on
http://home.comcast.net/~CaptQueeg/ScriptTagContent.txt

I've also posted an image of the Firebug panel when the HTML tag is
selected:
http://home.comcast.net/~CaptQueeg/HTMLtag-FireBugPanelContent.jpg

BUT ...

If I open TestFirebugDebugging.html in FireFox from the file system,
rather than http://home.comcast.net/~CaptQueeg/TestFirebugDebugging.html
from my personal website, then:

1. The HTML tag display is the same
2. The Script tag display is empty.

Can you make any sense out of this?

Again, thanks for your response.
--
Richard

On Sep 19, 11:48 pm, John J Barton <johnjbar...@johnjbarton.com>
wrote:

> Use Firebug->Script panel to set breakpoints.
>
> On Sep 19, 7:41 pm, RichardOnRails
>
> <RichardDummyMailbox58...@USComputerGurus.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
>

> > I'm followinghttp://www.getfirebug.com/js.htmlinthe section

John J Barton

Sep 20, 2007, 11:36:56 AM9/20/07
to Firebug
Firebug->BugMenu->Enable Firebug for local files.

On Sep 20, 6:17 am, RichardOnRails

<RichardDummyMailbox58...@USComputerGurus.com> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> > Use Firebug->Script panel to set breakpoints.
>
> For this toy page, I got a 100+ lines of code, but my script seems

> not to be visible. I've post the content of the Script tag onhttp://home.comcast.net/~CaptQueeg/ScriptTagContent.txt

> I've also posted an image of the Firebug panel when the HTML tag is
> selected:http://home.comcast.net/~CaptQueeg/HTMLtag-FireBugPanelContent.jpg
>
> BUT ...
>
> If I open TestFirebugDebugging.html in FireFox from the file system,

> rather thanhttp://home.comcast.net/~CaptQueeg/TestFirebugDebugging.html

John J Barton

Sep 20, 2007, 12:09:29 PM9/20/07
to Firebug
Actually thats not your problem. The script tag is empty because your
js files are not at the URL you specific (404).

Firebug should have helped in this case; it did not.

John.

RichardOnRails

Sep 21, 2007, 12:08:20 AM9/21/07
to Firebug
Hi John,

I'm getting closer!

I removed the spurious style and script tags. (They arose from the
template I use for new HTML pages created in the Aptana editor.) The
revision is at the same address: http://home.comcast.net/~CaptQueeg/TestFirebugDebugging.html

Now the Firbug scripts tab is exactyl what I (and I think you)
expected. When I click next to #12 [alert(msg)], I get the red disk
and the break is reflected in under the breakpoints tab.

BUT, problem 1: Execution doesn't stop at the breakpoint.

Incidentally, debugging this HTML under Aptana's debugger works ...
and did so even befor I removed the spurious style/script tags. But
it's quite slow, so that I really want to use Firebug.

AND, problem 2: I can't get the local file to work in Firebug. (Of
course, Aptana uses the local file.) I have the exact same symptoms
as the personal web page version, so maybe it'll work fine when I get
Firebug to honor breakpoints on website pages.

> Firebug->BugMenu->Enable Firebug for local files.

I can't seem to apply that. The only way I can think of applying this
is to open the Tools menu in Firefox. That gives me a Firebug item
along with other items.

The Firebug item gives me:
Open Firebug
Open Firebug in new window
Disable Firebug
Disable Firebug for homr.comcast.net
Allow sites ...
Inspect element
Profile JavaScript
Clear console
Command line

Perhaps we have different versions. I'm running:
WinXP/SP2
Firefox 2.0.0.7
Firebug 1.05

Or perhaps I'm just obtuse :-)

Any othere idea, I hope?
--
Richard

On Sep 20, 12:09 pm, John J Barton <johnjbar...@johnjbarton.com>

John J Barton

Sep 21, 2007, 12:53:57 AM9/21/07
to Firebug
Yes we are running different versions. I am running 1.1.0b2X, you can
get 1.1.0b1 from http://fireclipse.xucia.com and you will want it if
you breakpoint.

"BugMenu" means "Click on the firebug in the upper left corner of the
Firebug panel." Its a bit obtuse...

On Sep 20, 9:08 pm, RichardOnRails

RichardOnRails

Sep 22, 2007, 3:03:53 AM9/22/07
to Firebug
Hey John,

You did it! You directed me to the right place. I've got version
1.1.0b1 installed. Firebug breakpoints now work, both on websites
and (sporadically) on local files. Thank you very much for hanging in
there with me.

> Firebug->BugMenu->Enable Firebug for local files.

On my version, I have an unchecked option "Disable Firebug for local
files", which is logically equivalent IMHO. Clicking it sets a check-
mark indicating local-file processing is disabled.

A couple of pitfalls I had to overcome:

1. The http://fireclipse.xucia.com page made it look like one need
only click on the first or third graphic in order to initiate the
upgrade to the 1.1 version. That appears not to be true

2. The downloads page appears to be only informative, not an actual
source of the 1.1 upgrade. That's because the author of that page
follows the hyper-modern style of omitting underlines from links (a
stupid idea IMHO).

3. For the filesystem version, the breakpoint did not work at first.
When hovering over the b/p indicator, a balloon opened indicating the
b/p would only operate if the enclose statement were true. I entered
the literal true, whereupon the b/p was effective.

PROBLEM: When I opened a new test instance with the local file, the b/
p failed consistently.

I hate to ask you, but do you have an more ideas?

SUGGESTION: If you help other lost souls like me in the future, I
recommend you indicate:
· From http://fireclipse.xucia.com/#Downloads
· Click on the text Firebug-1.1.0b1 (it's a link but not underlined)

I'll run some more tests. If I find any more interesting symptoms,
I'll post them.

Again, many thanks for hanging in there with we while I stumbled
toward (almost complete) success.
--
Richard

On Sep 21, 12:53 am, John J Barton <johnjbar...@johnjbarton.com>
wrote:

> Yes we are running different versions. I am running 1.1.0b2X, you can

> get 1.1.0b1 fromhttp://fireclipse.xucia.comand you will want it if

John J Barton

Sep 23, 2007, 3:51:51 PM9/23/07
to Firebug
Thanks for the suggestions, I changed the web site, but I cannot fix
the underlines.

I looked into the breakpoints for file URLs and found one bug which I
fixed.

John.

On Sep 22, 12:03 am, RichardOnRails

<RichardDummyMailbox58...@USComputerGurus.com> wrote:
> Hey John,
>
> You did it! You directed me to the right place. I've got version
> 1.1.0b1 installed. Firebug breakpoints now work, both on websites
> and (sporadically) on local files. Thank you very much for hanging in
> there with me.
>
> > Firebug->BugMenu->Enable Firebug for local files.
>
> On my version, I have an unchecked option "Disable Firebug for local
> files", which is logically equivalent IMHO. Clicking it sets a check-
> mark indicating local-file processing is disabled.
>
> A couple of pitfalls I had to overcome:
>

> 1. Thehttp://fireclipse.xucia.compage made it look like one need

> only click on the first or third graphic in order to initiate the
> upgrade to the 1.1 version. That appears not to be true
>
> 2. The downloads page appears to be only informative, not an actual
> source of the 1.1 upgrade. That's because the author of that page
> follows the hyper-modern style of omitting underlines from links (a
> stupid idea IMHO).
>
> 3. For the filesystem version, the breakpoint did not work at first.
> When hovering over the b/p indicator, a balloon opened indicating the
> b/p would only operate if the enclose statement were true. I entered
> the literal true, whereupon the b/p was effective.
>
> PROBLEM: When I opened a new test instance with the local file, the b/
> p failed consistently.
>
> I hate to ask you, but do you have an more ideas?
>
> SUGGESTION: If you help other lost souls like me in the future, I
> recommend you indicate:

> · Fromhttp://fireclipse.xucia.com/#Downloads

> · Click on the text Firebug-1.1.0b1 (it's a link but not underlined)
>
> I'll run some more tests. If I find any more interesting symptoms,
> I'll post them.
>
> Again, many thanks for hanging in there with we while I stumbled
> toward (almost complete) success.
> --
> Richard
>
> On Sep 21, 12:53 am, John J Barton <johnjbar...@johnjbarton.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Yes we are running different versions. I am running 1.1.0b2X, you can

> > get 1.1.0b1 fromhttp://fireclipse.xucia.comandyou will want it if

RichardOnRails

Sep 24, 2007, 11:22:08 PM9/24/07
to Firebug
Hi John,

> Thanks for the suggestions, I changed the web site,

I'm honored to have been of some modest help. I had no inkling that I
was being tutored by one of the experts on Firebug.

> but I cannot fix the underlines.

Obviously, you know lots more than me about all this web stuff. But
I couldn't resist looking at your website with your own tool (There's
some irony in that!).

I observed the entry:

firebug-1.1.0b1.xpi" style="text-decoration: none;">Firebug-1.1.0b1</
a>

and wonder why removing the style wouldn't restore the underline. Is
there a higher-level CSS entry that imposes that style, so that
removing it locally is ineffective? If so, couldn't you change the
style to text_underline, or something like that (I don't know the
syntax off hand)?

> I looked into the breakpoints for file URLs and found one bug which I
> fixed.

Excellent!! I'll try it out now! Again, thanks for your guidance.
--
Richard