Re: Firebug window doesn't close when exit Firefox

ed

Oct 19, 2012, 2:21:53 PM10/19/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Happens all the time with me also. Windows 7, FFesr10.0.9 and fb1.9.2, so it's not a new problem.

On Friday, October 19, 2012 9:07:28 AM UTC-4, ProbablyMike wrote:
Hi,

Had this annoying problem for the past few days.

When I'm working with Firebug in it's own window (not attached to Firefox), and then close the Firefox window, Firebug stays open.
On the next launch of Firefox, the Firebug window is still visible but is not working, most of the buttons do nothing, can switch between tabs (Console, HTML etc) but they are all disabled, and the options menu doesn't show to enable them.
If I then close the Firebug window and press F12 it's all working again.

I have noticed that when I close Firefox and the Firebug window is still open, the Firefox.exe process is still active.

This is with Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 16.0.1, Firebug 1.10.4

Cheers,
Mike

Jan Honza Odvarko

Oct 22, 2012, 6:04:36 AM10/22/12
to Firebug
Do you see the problem with Firebug 1.11a5?
https://getfirebug.com/releases/firebug/1.11/firebug-1.11.0a5.xpi

Honza

ProbablyMike

Oct 23, 2012, 5:28:39 AM10/23/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jan,

Yes, exactly same behaviour with 1.11a5 installed from your link.

Mike

Jan Honza Odvarko

Oct 23, 2012, 5:35:58 AM10/23/12
to Firebug
I can't reproduce the problem on my machine.
Do you have any other extension installed?

Does it help if you create a new Firefox profile
with only Firebug installed?

https://getfirebug.com/wiki/index.php/Install_Firebug_into_a_clean_profile

Honza

ProbablyMike

Oct 23, 2012, 5:43:19 AM10/23/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Yes same behaviour with a new profile, both with 1.10.4 and 1.11a5.

Mike

Jan Honza Odvarko

Oct 23, 2012, 5:49:44 AM10/23/12
to Firebug
On Oct 23, 11:43 am, ProbablyMike <mike.be...@stroud.gov.uk> wrote:
> Yes same behaviour with a new profile, both with 1.10.4 and 1.11a5.
I see

Can you provide detailed steps of what you are doing?

Here are my steps and I don't see the problem:

1) Open Firefox, load google.com
2) Open Firebug UI (press F12)
3) Detach from Firefox (press Ctrl+F12)
4) Close the Firefox window -> Firebug window closes too

Honza

ProbablyMike

Oct 23, 2012, 5:59:54 AM10/23/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Exactly same steps, this is with the new profile, with 1.11a5

1) Open Firefox, goto www.google.com
2) Press F12
3) Detach from Firefox (with either Ctrl+F12 or the icon on the toolbar)
4) Close Firefox, Firebug is still open

The Firefox process is still running in Windows Task Manager, ending the process will close Firebug, can also close Firebug with it's Close 'X' button.

I have just noticed that if I have the HTML tab open, and close Firefox, the HTML for the page (www.google.com) is still shown, till I activate another window then the HTML will disappear

Jan Honza Odvarko

Oct 23, 2012, 6:12:17 AM10/23/12
to Firebug
Hm..., I still can't reproduce on my machine.

Can you yet double check, you don't have any extensions installed
in the new profile? (some can be installed automatically)

Do you see any errors in Firefox error console?

Honza

ProbablyMike

Oct 23, 2012, 6:44:38 AM10/23/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
No other extensions installed, see attached screenshot.

I just created a new Windows profile, and still the same behaviour with both 1.10.4 and 1.11a5

Mike
firebug1.jpg

ProbablyMike

Oct 23, 2012, 6:52:45 AM10/23/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi, sorry forgot to post these.

I started Firefox, went to www.google.com, cleared the Firefox Error Console and pressed F12, this is what I get:

Timestamp: 23/10/2012 11:47:05
Warning: Unknown property '-moz-border-radius'.  Declaration dropped.
Source File: chrome://firebug/skin/cookies/cookies.css
Line: 378
Timestamp: 23/10/2012 11:47:05
Warning: Unknown property '-moz-border-radius-bottomleft'.  Declaration dropped.
Source File: chrome://firequery/skin/firequery.css
Line: 17
Timestamp: 23/10/2012 11:47:05
Warning: Unknown property '-moz-border-radius-bottomright'.  Declaration dropped.
Source File: chrome://firequery/skin/firequery.css
Line: 18
Timestamp: 23/10/2012 11:47:05
Warning: Unknown property '-moz-border-radius-topright'.  Declaration dropped.
Source File: chrome://firequery/skin/firequery.css
Line: 19
Timestamp: 23/10/2012 11:47:05
Warning: Unknown property '-moz-border-radius-topleft'.  Declaration dropped.
Source File: chrome://firequery/skin/firequery.css
Line: 20
Timestamp: 23/10/2012 11:47:05
Warning: Unknown pseudo-class or pseudo-element 'n-th-child('.  Ruleset ignored due to bad selector.
Source File: chrome://firebug/skin/css.css
Line: 153
Timestamp: 23/10/2012 11:47:05
Warning: Unknown pseudo-class or pseudo-element 'n-th-child('.  Ruleset ignored due to bad selector.
Source File: chrome://firebug/skin/css.css
Line: 153
Timestamp: 23/10/2012 11:47:05
Warning: Unknown pseudo-class or pseudo-element 'n-th-child('.  Ruleset ignored due to bad selector.
Source File: chrome://firebug/skin/css.css
Line: 153
Timestamp: 23/10/2012 11:47:05
Warning: Use of Mutation Events is deprecated. Use MutationObserver instead.
Source File: chrome://browser/content/orion.js
Line: 3408
Timestamp: 23/10/2012 11:47:05
Warning: Unknown property '-moz-border-radius'.  Declaration dropped.
Source File: chrome://firebug/content/panel.html
Line: 378
Timestamp: 23/10/2012 11:47:05
Warning: Unknown property '-moz-border-radius'.  Declaration dropped.
Source File: chrome://firebug/content/panel.html
Line: 378
Timestamp: 23/10/2012 11:47:05
Warning: Unknown property '-moz-border-radius'.  Declaration dropped.
Source File: chrome://firebug/content/panel.html
Line: 378
Timestamp: 23/10/2012 11:47:05
Warning: Use of Mutation Events is deprecated. Use MutationObserver instead.
Source File: chrome://firebug/content/chrome/tabContext.js
Line: 589
Timestamp: 23/10/2012 11:47:05
Warning: Use of Mutation Events is deprecated. Use MutationObserver instead.
Source File: chrome://firebug/content/chrome/tabContext.js
Line: 589

Close Firefox, get this error:
Timestamp: 23/10/2012 11:51:24
Error: TypeError: WebDeveloper.Common.getMainWindow() is null
Source File: chrome://web-developer/content/common/common.js
Line: 1027

Close the Firebug window and get these:
Timestamp: 23/10/2012 11:51:47
Warning: Key event not available on GTK2: key="u" modifiers="accel,shift,"
Source File: chrome://global/content/console.xul
Line: 0
Timestamp: 23/10/2012 11:51:51
Error: TypeError: fbc.originalBrowser.contentWindow is undefined
Source File: chrome://firebug/content/firefox/firebug.xul
Line: 67

Jan Honza Odvarko

Oct 23, 2012, 7:13:23 AM10/23/12
to Firebug
On Oct 23, 12:52 pm, ProbablyMike <mike.be...@stroud.gov.uk> wrote:
> Hi, sorry forgot to post these.

WebDeveloper? This looks suspiciously, this doesn't seem to come
from Firefox (nor Firebug), does it?

ProbablyMike

Oct 23, 2012, 7:54:17 AM10/23/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, wrong Firefox profile.
Here again on the new Firefox profile.

When opening Firebug I get these:
Timestamp: 23/10/2012 12:52:36
[...]

No errors when closing Firefox.

Get this one when then closing the Firebug window:
Timestamp: 23/10/2012 12:53:11

Jan Honza Odvarko

Oct 23, 2012, 8:14:51 AM10/23/12
to Firebug
This time I don't see any suspicious warnings,
but I am able to partially see what you see, I guess.

1) Start Firefox, load www.google.com
2) Open Firebug (F12)
3) Detach Firebug
4) Open Firefox Error Console (or another Firefox window)
5) Close the original Firefox window (the one Firebug is related to)
6) Now Firebug is broken -> "I can switch between tabs (Console, HTML
etc) but they are all disabled, and the options menu doesn't show to
enable them." -> Yep I see exactly this.

However, you are also saying:
"On the next launch of Firefox, the Firebug window is still visible
but is not working,"
If I restart Firefox, Firebug is again working for me.

Is this correct? Firebug doesn't work for you after restart?

Note that the detached Firebug window is always closed
together with the last closed Firefox window (on my machine).

Honza

ProbablyMike

Oct 23, 2012, 8:49:03 AM10/23/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Yes, correct.  When I close Firefox and the Firebug window is still open when I then launch Firefox again the Firebug window is "broken" and the options menu on each tab doesn't show.

firebug2.jpg

Jan Honza Odvarko

Oct 23, 2012, 9:10:45 AM10/23/12
to Firebug
OK, I created a report for the part I can reproduce
http://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/detail?id=6023

> Yes, correct. When I close Firefox and the Firebug window is still open
> when I then launch Firefox again the Firebug window is "broken" and the
> options menu on each tab doesn't show.
Could this be related to the fact that your Firefox process is still
running
and so the restart is actually not a real restart?

When you create a new Firefox profile and run it you should also
specify
no-remote argument on the command line:

firefox.exe -P freshNewProfile -no-remote

The no-remote argument says that new Firefox instance should be
launched separately from existing running process (not attached to the
existing process).

Can you try it with the argument?

Honza
>  firebug2.jpg
> 42KViewDownload

ProbablyMike

Oct 23, 2012, 9:25:10 AM10/23/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi Honza,

Create a new profile, started with -no-remote and still the same problem in that Firebug stays open.
But now when I try to re-launch Firefox I get the "Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system." message box.

Jan Honza Odvarko

Oct 23, 2012, 9:31:26 AM10/23/12
to Firebug
Yep, that's because the process is still running.
So, the question is why your process doesn't finish... (it does on my
machine)

Does it help if you disable Console, Script and Net panels?

Honza

ProbablyMike

Oct 23, 2012, 9:41:45 AM10/23/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
No sorry, disabling the panels doesn't help :-(

Jan Honza Odvarko

Oct 23, 2012, 9:48:12 AM10/23/12
to Firebug
On Oct 23, 3:41 pm, ProbablyMike <mike.be...@stroud.gov.uk> wrote:
> No sorry, disabling the panels doesn't help :-(
Does the process finish properly if you disable Firebug?
Honza

ProbablyMike

Oct 23, 2012, 10:07:17 AM10/23/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
If you mean to deactivate Firebug then no, still the same.
Only difference is now when Firefox is opened again Firebug has the "Activate Firebug for the current website" button in the middle, but it does nothing!

If I CLOSE Firebug then yes, the Firefox process will finish properly when I CLOSE Firefox.

ProbablyMike

Oct 26, 2012, 5:00:56 AM10/26/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I've managed to do a screencast of this happening, I'm sure it's a lot better than trying to describe it, should have done to start with!

Jan Honza Odvarko

Oct 26, 2012, 8:28:56 AM10/26/12
to Firebug
Yep, I clearly see the problem in the Screencast,
but I can't reproduce the same behavior on my machine.

For me, detached-Firebug window is automatically closed if
I close the browser window.

Honza

cheekybuddha

Oct 26, 2012, 9:18:02 AM10/26/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I watched your screencast and looked at your screenshot you posted a few posts back.

I don't use Windows, but you seem to have an unusual extra button near the minimise/restore/close buttons (it appears and disappears in your screencast) - is it for activating a dual monitor or something?

It doesn't look like it's part of normal Windows. Do you think it could be causing the problem?

Just my 2pence,

ed

Oct 26, 2012, 3:02:19 PM10/26/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I use Windows and have the same lingering firebug window issue, and do not have any non-standard buttons on my window.
--ed

ProbablyMike

Oct 29, 2012, 5:15:31 AM10/29/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Yes that is some dual monitor software, but it's not causing the problem.
Was one of my first thoughts so completely un-installed it and the problem still occurs.

Cheers,
Mike

Sebastian Zartner

Oct 29, 2012, 6:33:48 PM10/29/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
On the next launch of Firefox, the Firebug window is still visible but is not working, most of the buttons do nothing, can switch between tabs (Console, HTML etc) but they are all disabled, and the options menu doesn't show to enable them.

If I then close the Firebug window and press F12 it's all working again.
Issue 6039 sounds pretty similar to this and can be reproduced by me.

Sebastian

Jan Honza Odvarko

Nov 30, 2012, 5:32:57 AM11/30/12
to Firebug
Does Firebug 1.11 beta 2 fix the problem for you?
https://getfirebug.com/releases/firebug/1.11/firebug-1.11.0b2.xpi

Honza
Message has been deleted

Dinker Srivastava

Dec 4, 2012, 1:35:57 AM12/4/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi Honza,

Thanks for your valuable reply  :)

I am using Firebug 1.10.6 .  Are you asking me to install Firebug 1.11 beta 2 fix ??

Warning: Use of Mutation Events is deprecated. Use MutationObserver instead.
Source File: chrome://firebug/content/chrome/tabContext.js

I am fed up with this  error in my Firebug console , its coming by default . Asking me to use Mutation events. I don't know what is Mutation events  :( .

Or if you are advising me to switch my Mozilla FF which is currently 14.

please do help ...

Thanks
Dinnu

Sebastian Zartner

Dec 4, 2012, 1:52:39 AM12/4/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Yes, he was asking you to install that version.
Meanwhile we already uploaded 1.11 final to AMO.
Though the warning you're seeing is coming from Firebug and not from your page. To avoid seeing this error you have to uncheck the options Show Chrome Errors and Show Chrome Messages.
This issue will be gone when issue 5490 is fixed.

Sebastian