save changes?

Feb 1, 2007, 1:33:04 PM2/1/07
to Firebug
hi, and congratulations for this major extension that's ,in my mind,
really a turning point which let at last consider a coherent and
intuitive way to design websites.

Formely, like many others, i used to play with webdevelopper but feel
very frustrating of switching between my text-editor(retreiving the
corresponding line, edit it, save the file) and firefox to finally
refresh the page, when i hadn't forgotten to disable cache!...

what a time saving! i don't dare to beleive it yet and i wonder if i'm
not simply dreaming because, if live-editing functions with firebug
are yet a reality for me, I haven't see how to save changes...
Is there a ftp service to configure and that would allow us to upload
the changed files(html, css...)?(or an other way?)

cheers and congratulation again

John M. Black

Feb 2, 2007, 11:03:37 AM2/2/07
to Firebug
Was thinking about this myself. Perhaps the simplest approach to take
(for now) would be for a "save" feature to save to local disk -- not
overwriting the file, but saving right next to it with a special name
that represents that "revision". Example:

mypage.html .... mods saved to
"mypage__firebug_20070202_1059.html"

It may seem really low-tech to do a timestamped filename instead of
something more fancy, but consider that firebug is sometimes used by
people with no source control or backups, so it should never assume
that an overwrite of the actual file is desirable. If I do use
Subversion or something and I really want to use those mods, I can
take an extra 10 seconds and delete the original and rename the
firebug-modified one.

Maybe in the future it can be more complex, but I think this would be
the fastest thing to implement right now.

Also, have you considered adding a "saved session" concept? If I've
set lots of breakpoints in my files, and I have to shut down, it'd be
nice to bring that breakpoint collection back up the next time I need
to work on those files.

-John B.

Kris Zyp

Feb 3, 2007, 12:07:44 AM2/3/07
to Firebug
This is possible with the right WCM/web editing tool. Making changes
to web page and saving the changes is essentially the motivation for
web content management systems. Otherwise, you have to save changes to
a local file, and then you end up with a several step process to get
the file back to where you want it (which is what you were trying to
avoid in the first place). And of course most WCM/web editors don't
let you edit a page that looks much like what you want. But, I have to
throw in a plug for our system here (sorry), but we have developed a
WCM that actually lets you edit the page as it would appear and so it
actually works very well with Firebug, because you can make changes
with Firebug and then save the changes. We don't have support for
saving the changes to CSS files yet (although that is coming very
soon), but we do support saving changes to styles and other DOM
element attributes. You can see it at www.authenteo.com. If you try
it, you can go into layout editing mode, and you can actually changes
styles on elements, change the look of your page, and save the
changes. It is cool because it really unleashes the capability of
Firebug as a full on web building frontend tool instead of just a
debugger/inspector. Joe said he may be open to some further
integration with this WCM in the future, as well.
Kris
www.authenteo.com

> > to- Hide quoted text -

Kris Zyp

Feb 27, 2007, 12:58:04 AM2/27/07
to Firebug
For those interested in being able to save changes that you have made
to your CSS/HTML, Authenteo is now capable of tracking changes made by
Firebug and saving those changes in your website. If you want to learn
more about this you can go to http://www.authenteo.com/page/Firebug_Integration
(and the limitations), or if you want to try it out you can sign for
trial site at http://www.authenteo.com/page/Try_it_out, and start
actually editing site layout and CSS with Firebug and saving the
changes. I think this is the only WCM that can do this, and IMHO I
think it is very convenient.
I hope to have further integrations with Firebug in the future.

Jeff Papineau

Mar 30, 2007, 2:31:20 PM3/30/07
to Firebug
I've found that copy and paste works pretty well.

At first I was trying to remember my changes and just go from one
window to the next and manually upadate my source, but on a file by
file basis, just doing a copy and paste gets things done pretty
quickly.

On Feb 1, 11:33 am, "to" <antoine.bern...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi, and congratulations for this major extension that's ,in my mind,
> really a turning point which let at last consider a coherent and
> intuitive way to design websites.
>
> Formely, like many others, i used to play with webdevelopper but feel
> very frustrating of switching between my text-editor(retreiving the

> corresponding line, edit it,savethe file) and firefox to finally

Devon

Apr 3, 2007, 1:23:48 PM4/3/07
to Firebug
The approach I have been using is FireFox's "Save Page As". It will
save the page as is, all the changes made by Firebug included.
downside is it mangles all the relative references (stylesheet links,
css url()s, and script/img src) to point into savename_files/.

This has worked for me because I have images in the images directory,
css in the css directory, etc. Thus, a couple of global replaces and
I'm good to go.

An option to save without munging the paths would help though. There
are several extensions that implement webdav and/or ftp, so no need to
reinvent the wheel.

I think Authenteo looks nice, but it's a commercial product. And to
host my pages where *I* want it's $10K. More than I can justify at
this point.

dcm

Joey33

Apr 9, 2007, 8:52:32 AM4/9/07
to Firebug
"An option to save without munging the paths would help though. There
are several extensions that implement webdav and/or ftp, so no need to
reinvent the wheel. "

Devon, could you cast some light on the webdav/ftp extensions? (excuse
my ignorance) I'm craving for an idea
how to save modified css without going through copy/paste procedure.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Joey33

SawnD...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2007, 6:14:09 PM4/16/07
to Firebug
"An option to save without munging the paths would help though."

Actually, in firefox, if you do just file>save page as and as for
"save as type" just do "webpage, HTML only", you can get it to keep
all the code nice and clean. Unfortunately, if you have any external
sources, you can't save them this way.

On Apr 9, 7:52 am, "Joey33" <konrad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "An option tosavewithout munging the paths would help though. There

> are several extensions that implement webdav and/or ftp, so no need to
> reinvent the wheel. "

> Devon, could you cast some light on the webdav/ftp extensions? (excuse
> my ignorance) I'm craving for an idea

> how tosavemodified css without going through copy/paste procedure.

> Thanks a lot in advance,
> Joey33
>
> On 3 Kwi, 19:23, "Devon" <devon.c.mil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The approach I have been using is FireFox's "SavePage As". It will

> >savethe page as is, all the changes made by Firebug included.

> > downside is it mangles all the relative references (stylesheet links,
> > css url()s, and script/img src) to point into savename_files/.
>
> > This has worked for me because I have images in the images directory,
> > css in the css directory, etc. Thus, a couple of global replaces and
> > I'm good to go.
>

> > An option tosavewithout munging the paths would help though. There

Apr 26, 2007, 7:03:06 AM4/26/07
to Firebug
Joey33 said:
> Devon, could you cast some light on the webdav/ftp extensions? (excuse
> my ignorance) I'm craving for an idea
> how to save modified css without going through copy/paste procedure.

Hi Joey,

I'm craving for too -> what a revolution for webdesigners if we were
at last able to live-edit CSS code: no more save&refresh, just see!
(with the gorgeous advantage to have computed cascading styles at
our's disposal, we can easily than ever, handle with firebug: enabled/
disabled, add/delete...CSS's rules) -> It's like a dream :)

In my mind, what Devon suggests is the good way: integer an existing
service such as WebDav(for a svn) or simply a FTP one, to be able to
remotely save our changes on CSS files.

When I've discovered FireBug, I immediately thought it were
particularly devoted to do that...
I keep hoping it will :)

PS: I would be very interested in having FireBug author's opinion
about this feature suggestion.

A good day :)

Kris Zyp

Apr 27, 2007, 1:38:46 AM4/27/07
to Firebug
The whole issue of saving css and html changes is much more
sophisticated than just saving a file of course, especially when
considering that most of the content that is delivered to browsers is
dynamically generated (with html changes, often parts of a page are
shared, others are not). Security is also an important consideration,
you should be able to control what CSS or HTML is editable and what is
not. As I mentioned before Authenteo has these capabilities. It does
this because it is able to maintain information about how a page was
rendering, so it can reverse the changes (reversible templating) and
save changes made to CSS and HTML with firebug. This is fully
integrated with security management as well. And I agree with what
antoine said, I think live-editing of webpage is revolutionary way to
build and update pages (which is why I built Authenteo). However, as
Devon mentioned, it might be too expensive for some people. Would you
guys be interested if I offered an open source/free version of
Authenteo (might remove a few features of the commercial version) that
could still provide the CSS and HTML saving capabilities from firebug?
I am currently looking at possibly providing some open source
alternative packaging of Authenteo. Let me know if you have any
thoughts about this.
Thanks,
Kris Zyp
www.authenteo.com

gai...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2007, 4:18:49 AM4/27/07
to Firebug
hello

I'm a really new firebug user, at discovering/training level. I think
save changes is the only one important feature that firebug needs to
be perfect. ;-)
So of course I'm interested in your offer. Open source would be
better.

thanks.
Martin.

Jonathan Kushner

Apr 27, 2007, 8:18:41 AM4/27/07
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I think you should work on fixing your application before promoting it as an
available open source framework. The last thing I need is to use an
application that still has javascript errors.. Ive already got my own.

John J Barton

Apr 27, 2007, 12:33:57 PM4/27/07
to Firebug
Thanks for sharing your "insight" on this interesting proposal.

Jonathan Kushner

Apr 27, 2007, 3:24:41 PM4/27/07
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I wanted to apologize for my comments regarding Authentico earlier. It
actually is a nice interface, but does have a couple bugs. It was wrong of
me to say what I said, because I really was just in a foul mood about
something else. Please don't take it too far, I actually did go through the
Authentico? ( sorry If mispronounced) application and found it to be quite
resourceful, especially the resizing of elements :)

Once again, sorry for the bad mouthing. It really was inappropriate.

Kris Zyp

Apr 28, 2007, 11:50:32 AM4/28/07
to Firebug
When and if you do find bugs in Authenteo, I would love to know about
them. And if you can tell me how to reproduce them, I will fix them
ASAP. You can submit bugs by emailing feed...@authenteo.com. Anyway,
I will keep you guys posted on an open source version... and hopefully
with your feedback relatively bug free.
Thanks!
Kris

> > Martin.- Hide quoted text -

spa...@gmail.com

May 21, 2007, 5:50:23 AM5/21/07
to Firebug
i'm not sure if i read the above correcly, but as far as an ftp
integrated into FireFox i use the FireFTP (http://fireftp.mozdev.org/)
extension. im trying to find an HTML editor extension for firefox
also. Right now i have my FTP open in a right pane using Split Browser
(http://fireftp.mozdev.org/), FireBug open at the bottom for inline
edititing, then the page im editing in the top right (with all my tabs
of other pages). any changes i make in FireBug, i have to edit in my
HTML editor (TextPad 5), then double click on the file in the FireFTP.
its not perfect, but its the closest thing to what you guys have been
talking about.

if anybody knows of a good html editor (where you can save to your
local system) let me know. that would at least get everything i need
into 1 window!

not trying to spam these sites, but they are excellent extensions!