automatic break on error

lingg

Aug 13, 2010, 12:49:24 PM8/13/10
to Firebug
Hi folks,

as it is my first post to this group, I want to acknowledge all the
contributors that made firebug possible. I is fare the best tool for
web development and makes my life much easier, thanks!

I like a lot the feature, that makes the debugger break on every
error. That really saves time! But there is one aspect you could
improve: it is normal practice to user try-catch statements that
except errors. Using both, the try statements and autobreak is not
usefull as you are supposed to continue a lot of breaks.

Is it possible to introduce a configuration to disable the autobreak
at errors within try statements?

Cheers,
Christoph

John J Barton

Aug 13, 2010, 1:02:46 PM8/13/10
to Firebug

On Aug 13, 9:49 am, lingg <c.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> as it is my first post to this group, I want to acknowledge all the
> contributors that made firebug possible. I is fare the best tool for
> web development and makes my life much easier, thanks!

Thanks for the encouragement!

> I like a lot the feature, that makes the debugger break on every
> error. That really saves time! But there is one aspect you could
> improve: it is normal practice to user try-catch statements that
> except errors. Using both, the try statements and autobreak is not
> usefull as you are supposed to continue a lot of breaks.
>
> Is it possible to introduce a configuration to disable the autobreak
> at errors within try statements?

Yes, but this feature requires help from the internals of Firefox.
When an error occurs the callstack points to the error. To know if
there is a catch block we have to look at the enclosing blocks in
every function on the stack. But we have no access to the enclosing
blocks other than the names of variables declared. We've asked for
this information, but we've asked for a lot of other things as well
but nothing come of asking. I guess we just have to wait for someone
in Mozillla to want such a feature.

What you can do as an alternative is to use Firebug > Console > mini-
menu > ShowStackTrace for errors, plus, when an error occurs, set an
error breakpoint and re-run. In the Console to the left of the error
you will see a place for setting the error breakpoint.

jjb

> Cheers,
> Christoph

Lautaro Dolberg

Aug 23, 2010, 6:53:19 AM8/23/10
to fir...@googlegroups.com

> Cheers,
> Christoph

Hello:
Im intrested in getting access to the variables declared of an enclosing block, or at certain breakpoint at a given script.
I have asked mozilla ppl how I can do that with JSD, an then I got this code.  http://code.google.com/p/gpsee/source/browse/extras/gsrdb/gsrdb.js#1042
But the way they are using the jsd object does not match the interface I have been using  http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla1.9.2/source/js/jsd/idl/jsdIDebuggerService.idl
Im wondering if anybody can point me or tell me where I should take a look to figure out how firebug get this access?
Thanks in advance.
Lautaro

Lautaro Dolberg

Aug 23, 2010, 9:32:01 AM8/23/10
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hello, again:
To be more specific im intrested in what part of the code builds the list in the watch tab (variables and objects like navigator, etc) when the debbuger stop at a certain breakpoint.
Thanks.
Lautaro

John J Barton

Aug 23, 2010, 11:20:57 AM8/23/10
to Firebug

On Aug 23, 6:32 am, Lautaro Dolberg <lautaro.dolb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, again:
> To be more specific im intrested in what part of the code builds the list in
> the watch tab (variables and objects like navigator, etc) when the debbuger
> stop at a certain breakpoint.

That would be the updateSelection() method of the watch panel, in
dom.js.

jjb

> Thanks.
> Lautaro
>
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Lautaro Dolberg <lautaro.dolb...@gmail.com
> >> firebug+u...@googlegroups.com<firebug%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> >> .
> >> For more options, visit this group at
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/firebug?hl=en.
>
> > Hello:
> > Im intrested in getting access to the variables declared of an enclosing
> > block, or at certain breakpoint at a given script.
> > I have asked mozilla ppl how I can do that with JSD, an then I got this
> > code.
> >http://code.google.com/p/gpsee/source/browse/extras/gsrdb/gsrdb.js#104<http://code.google.com/p/gpsee/source/browse/extras/gsrdb/gsrdb.js#1042>
> > 2
> > But the way they are using the jsd object does not match the interface I
> > have been using
> >http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla1.9.2/source/js/jsd/idl/jsdIDebuggerSer...

Lautaro Dolberg

Aug 23, 2010, 12:13:43 PM8/23/10
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi John:

Maybe I dont understand the code behavior  or I didn't explain well what I was looking for. In order to clarify my mind I will reformulate what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for the piece of code in charge of listing or discovering all the variables declared in a script code block. I mean when I set a breakpoint in script panel and the debugger stops there I can see in the watch panel on the right all the variables that are declared there. I'm looking for the methods (probably is more than 1) that get that for every variable on the code get the name and the value if there is any value at that point of the execution flow.

If the answer to my question was the previous mail, Sorry for the lameness and I will read the code more carefully than I did.
Thanks.
Lautaro.

John J Barton

Aug 23, 2010, 1:53:20 PM8/23/10
to Firebug

On Aug 23, 9:13 am, Lautaro Dolberg <lautaro.dolb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi John:
>
> Maybe I dont understand the code behavior  or I didn't explain well what I
> was looking for. In order to clarify my mind I will reformulate what I'm
> looking for.
>
> I'm looking for the piece of code in charge of listing or discovering all
> the variables declared in a script code block. I mean when I set a
> breakpoint in script panel and the debugger stops there I can see in the
> watch panel on the right all the variables that are declared there. I'm
> looking for the methods (probably is more than 1) that get that for every
> variable on the code get the name and the value if there is any value at
> that point of the execution flow.

Well this is what we have:

if (frame && frame.isValid)
{
var thisVar = unwrapIValue(frame.thisValue);
this.addMember(frame.scope, "user", members, "this",
thisVar, 0);

var scopeChain = this.generateScopeChain(frame.scope);

// locals, pre-expanded
members.push.apply(members, this.getMembers(scopeChain[0],
0, this.context));

for (var i = 1; i < scopeChain.length; i++)
this.addMember(scopeChain[i], "scopes", members,
scopeChain[i].toString(), scopeChain[i], 0);
}

I can explain what is going on here if it looks like this is what you
need. If not, then you need to say more.

jjb

> If the answer to my question was the previous mail, Sorry for the lameness
> and I will read the code more carefully than I did.
> Thanks.
> Lautaro.
>
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 5:20 PM, John J Barton
> <johnjbar...@johnjbarton.com>wrote:
> > <firebug%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<firebug%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

Lautaro Dolberg

Aug 24, 2010, 7:30:45 AM8/24/10
to fir...@googlegroups.com

Thats what I was looking for, but instead of looking that method I was looking  updateSelection: function(object)  from svn/trunk/content/firebug/dom.js, now I found what I need @ svn/branches/firebug1.7/content/firebug/dom.js
I will read carefully the code and If something goes wrong I will ask for help.
Thanks again.
Lautaro