FF 3.5.1 & fireBug 1.5X.0a20 "reload to activate" issue still present

dk

Jul 28, 2009, 12:44:27 AM7/28/09
to Firebug
Hi,

I read in another post that one of the 1.5X releases fixed the "reload
to activate" issue. I am running ff 3.5.1, fb 1.5X.0a20 on a windows
XP box and I see tow things:

1) the reload issue is still there and
2) reloading the page "closes" fb in sub-panel mode. In secondary
window mode it clears the fb window and throws up a button labeled
"Activate FireBug for the selected FireFox tab". I am a tab-less
user.

I suppose I missed something or this is not my lucky day.

johnjbarton

Jul 28, 2009, 1:08:45 AM7/28/09
to Firebug
I'm hoping you are correct. I hear this pretty often, but we don't see
it. I keep telling people who see this to install Firebug in a new
Firefox profile. In all cases they either say "thanks that did it" or
don't reply. Hints in http://groups.google.com/group/firebug/web/faq-about-firebug.

jjb

dk

Jul 29, 2009, 12:44:47 AM7/29/09
to Firebug
Hmmm,

Ok, I created a new profile using ff 3.5.1 and then installed fb
1.4.1 I am seeing the behaviours mentioned above.

I then uninstlled 1.4.1 and installed firebug-1.5X.0a20.xpi (something
odd happened during the install this time, the SSL and TLS settings in
ff became unchecked. This became obvious after the install threw up
am message saying that there had been an error doing the install. I
restarted ff, went to the tools->plugins option and the plugins screen
threw up a message about not being able to connect because SSL was
turned off). I am getting the same behaviour as above.

I jusr created another new profile and have installed firebug-1.5X.
0a20.xpi. This is a totally different kettle of fish. fb comes up.
It stays up during page reloads. The first noticible thing is that in
sub-panel mode the "Console" drop down menue does not work. clicking
on the down-arrow shows a tiny little square that perhaps should hold
the menu. I am not seeing the reload issue but i have seen the
Activate button once. At the moment none of the Console actions are
happening as far as I can tell.

I did see somewhere that fb 1.5x is targeted for the next ff release.
Should I be using a pre-release of that?
Cheers

johnjbarton

Jul 29, 2009, 1:48:17 AM7/29/09
to Firebug
1.4.1 and 1.5Xa20 are rather similar; only persistent console, net
panel break on XHR and some changes we don't think matter for 1.4.
Both work in Firefox 3.5.1. Neither have been tested on FF 3.6.

It seems to me that you have some issues on your machine/network/
firefox install.

jjb

dk

Jul 30, 2009, 1:13:48 AM7/30/09
to Firebug
I have it working now. THanks for your help. I finally uninstalled
everything Mozilla related and then reinstalled ff and fb. It seems
to be fine now.

cheers

Zac Spitzer

Aug 5, 2009, 7:17:15 AM8/5/09
to Firebug
it's a maddening bug,

steps to reproduce.

1. try and click on the firebug icon to toggle firebug
2. click on the firebug icon and there's a popup window
3. turn firebug off for all pages

reload the website, the described problem is seen

4. click the icon and turn firebug on for all sites

reload the website, no problem

the easy solution is to make the options menu have
all the firebug options in one place ( as expected )

there's nothing wrong with some being duplicating
in two places

johnjbarton

Aug 5, 2009, 10:26:45 AM8/5/09
to Firebug

On Aug 5, 4:17 am, Zac Spitzer <zac.spit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> it's a maddening bug,

Zac, I can't figure out what bug you are discussing...

> steps to reproduce.
>
> 1. try and click on the firebug icon to toggle firebug

I don't understand this step. "try and"? Did you mean to say "click on
the firebug status bar icon"? What happens then?

> 2. click on the firebug icon and there's a popup window

I don't understand this step. If you clicked on the status bar icon in
#1, then Firebug is open. What popup window? Is it Firebug's window?

> 3. turn firebug off for all pages

What did you do here? I guess right click Firebug status bar icon,
menu select Off for all pages?

> reload the website, the described problem is seen

What problem?

> 4. click the icon and turn firebug on for all sites
>
> reload the website, no problem

Ok so do you have a problem or not?

> the easy solution is to make the options menu have
> all the firebug options in one place ( as expected )

What is the problem? The post you quote below says everything is
fine....

Zac Spitzer

Aug 5, 2009, 10:57:49 PM8/5/09
to Firebug
this is the state where you have firebug open in a new window
and each time the page refreshes firebug deactiveates
and shows the "Activate FireBug for the selected FireFox tab"

but then when you reload the page, firefox deactives again

it's done from the "off for all web pages" which is an option,
from the firebug icon in the tray, but the option isn't on the
the firebug view -> options, which is really confusing

it's more of a UI trap than a bug